Chill Out Area for non-Gold people?

Hi, I was just wondering if there would be a designated chill out or seating area around the con? My friend's concerned about how busy the place is going to be due to the recent bundle of fabulous guests and may need a place to have a time out.

There isn't usually anywhere to sit down at these events unless you're happy to sit on the floor. The food and drink places within the hall may have some seating but they tend not to like people to take up space if they're not buying/eating but I don't know what is available as far as food and drink outlets in that particular hall.

Upon leaving you'll be asked by a crew member if you are returning and you'll get your hand stamped if you say yes. Not just for smokers - helps just to get some fresh-ish air and some space to yourself

Michelle

Edited by Psyclepath

last time i went (when it was at EC2) i remember there being a carpeted 'meeting point/hang out' area but it wasn't that big so got full quite easily. But yeah, i'm guessing the main options are to go and sit outside for a bit or sit round the sides as long as you're not in the way/don't get moved on, heh.

• Showmasters Admin

we have some carpeted places in the hall this year which can be used to have a sit down .

we have taken as much space as we can this year and we have filled it but we will look in to this for future events

hope thats of help

jason

• Like 2

we have some carpeted places in the hall this year which can be used to have a sit down .

we have taken as much space as we can this year and we have filled it but we will look in to this for future events

hope thats of help

jason

Hi Jason, I think this needs to be seriously considered. Yes everyone would like to take a load off during the day and maybe they can manage if they don't. However you also have to take into account that you have disabled attendees who actually need to be able to sit down at some point just to make it through the day and sitting on the floor for someone with a disability which limits their muscles use or who has joint problems is not really an option.

hope thats of help

jason

Thanks Jason,

After spending what I'll be spending - just on Gillian, I'll REALLY need to have a sit down! lol ;)

This will be my most expensive con to date so it will be nice to have carpet to sit down on.

Richard.

I'm sure Jason will have thought of this, either way, I would suggest anyone with problems such as that talking to a member or crew and I'm sure they'll be able to sort something out.

Yes, i agree that is one solution but it would be nice not to have to ask for assistance everytime you want to do something as simple as sitting down.

I have asked at other events only to be told there was nothing they could do about it.

Yeah tbh I think one thing that should not be a gold-exclusive is a rest area but it's always just been the floor/a small carpeted area for standard users. Shouldn't have to pay for the privilege of not sitting on the floor if just want a rest rather than food - especially if, like Ophelia said, some people may have problems which mean they find it hard to sit on the floor. Still, I suppose there is limited room and they don't want to use up floor space/room space for seated chill out areas if they can use it for stalls or guests so it's a tough one.

I've always wanted somewhere to sit down, but when you're getting 10s of 1000s of people through the doors, how do you regulate it? There's a limit to how many seats they can put out, how do you make sure that those who need it most get to sit down and they're not just hogged by people for hours on end? I can't see any fair way of doing it that would work for everyone.