Collectormania 6 Venue

Where should C6 be held ?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Where should C6 be held ?

• MK Centre
    • NEC
    • Other suitable alternative venue

I'd have to agree....the con did suffer with shoppers and people who "just turned up" It would be easier if it had another ridged venue. *nods*

I like the idea of the NEC, though it might result in collectormania loosing its FREE con tag line...I can't imaging it being cheap to set up there....

As i have said before i think Collectormania is just getting too big for CMK now and it is time to move on. I live in MK so it would be sad to say good bye but SM have done such a good job over the years that big names are now happy to sign up and a bigger venue would add something new to the event. The NEC would be ideal and i think that once they have done another LFACC at wembley they will have the experience to take on the NEC.

Go on SM take a risk, the NEC would be so cool!

I voted NEC as it is a larger, more cental location. Even if it stays at MK I do think that LFCC or a similar event should be held here, London is so far away for so may people, I think Birmingham is a better location, even though it means people who live close to the existing events would have further to go I think overall most people would have not so far to go, which would be cheaper and there would be more trains at earlier times. Plus there are free buses from Birmingham International train station to the NEC. And as I said it is a larger venue which would mean less pushing and shoving, experienced at C4 and more guests could be fitted in with more stalls.

This would definately be easier for me, my sister, and my freind, as during term time Im in Cheshire, my sister is in Leicester, and my freind is in Aberystwyth and in holidays we are near Coventry. I know allot of people are from Blackpool, so again this is closer than London or MK.

Also I think 'larger guests' should be at all events, as not everyone can make every event.

;)

I think a lot of people seem to miss the point of what Collectormania is all about, as far as I am aware one of the strongest points of the last 4 shows has to bring a TV & Film event to a whole new audience that has never been and would not go to a collectors meet or "convention". I didn't think it was some kind exclusive club to meet or see a guest, if it means that a family can come along and sample what a convention/event is like without having to shell out £50+ just to look around and enjoy a day, then i'm all for it.

One of the great things about having Collectormania in MK is the amount of facilities available so close, the use of the cinema complex for talks and screening has proved to be a great success, which i'm sure will be made bigger and better with future shows. The amount of hotels and accommodation in the surrounding area is extremely good as is the amount of bars, restaurants and entertainment all within walking distance. Remember this is a 4 day event, you don't want to just sit in you hotel room night after night, or prop up the same bar all weekend, MK has plenty to do if you stay for all 4 days (sometimes 5) you will never get bored. How many events like these do you get where you don't have to pay to get in? Most "conventions" will charge you £50+ (sometimes into 3 figures) just to get through the door, and that's normally a maximum of 3 days.

I agree that it can get hectic at times but I think that just adds to the buzz of the whole event, and yes a lot of people were upset that they didn't get to meet Elijah last time, but do you think that having him say at the last LF&CC it would have made any difference? NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST!! You would still get thousands of people coming from all over the world to see him and he'd still be only able to sign a certain amount of photos, so there would still be plenty of people who'd feel hard done by. I'm sure Showmasters are continuing to use each Collectormania to improve and refine the event, and lessons will be learnt each time to make the following an even bigger success.

You have to remember this next Collectormania will only be the 5th in JUST over 2 years. It is already a massive event and and one of those reasons is that it's in MK, do you really think that moving the event to the NEC would improve it? I don't, if anything I think it would it lose a lot of it's appeal.

If you don't like the way Collectormania is run then simply don't go, if you prefer to go to a more conventional convention wait for LF&CC, that looks likely to be a twice a year event. I for one want like the fresh approach to Collectormania and moving it to a regular hall somewhere would defeat the whole idea behind it.

The NEC would be ideal and i think that once they have done another LFACC at wembley they will have the experience to take on the NEC.

Well I think SM could have done a "NEC" a couple of years ago, I mean I think anyone can bring 90% of the same 'D' list guests back for every event. I dont mean to knock the NEC show, but it's a whole different thing, that's a collectors meet, with a hand full of decent guests if your lucky. If you want to just buy something then that's the place to go. Anyway SM's are already doing an "NEC" at the LF&CC but is WAY better!!.

Just for the record I don't live in MK, I live 10mins away the NEC.

Well that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it :lol: lol

:D

Another reason why NEC is a good place is cos not only is it:

1) Central England

2) Not a shopping centre

3) Has free buses from the train staion which is next door

4) BUT it is also right next to the airport for those super-fans from overseas.

BUT it is much larger than MK Centre and so the space may not be filled. Also it

is already where the Memorabilia Fair is held which too has signings by guests.

*cough* somewhere in Scotland *cough* :P

Ok I admit now that C4 was my first ever con so I don't know what the other collectormanias are like or similar cons, apart from LFaCC, but having Collectormania where it is, kinda makes it special. Theres lots of other stuff to do as well, shopping, the big Escape doda place, so if you do run out of things to do at the con or not doing anything at night then there is stuff you could be doing. I enjoyed LFaCC greatly, but on Sunday I was kinda stuck for things to do and just ended up sitting around for hours with a couple of friends, and don't get me wrong, I loved meeting lots of people on Saturday but smokey bars ain't really my kinda thing. In Mk there was the arcade, bowling, cinema etc.

Maybe there should perhaps (don't hurt me!) be slightly "lower key" (hate using this phrase) guests at collectormanias, and the super big (EH!) guests at LFaCC where theres the large halls to cater for the number of people? I don't know, I think maybe after the experiences at LFaCC, most of the bugs will be filtered out for C5 regarding the virtual queuing system, big thumbs up to the big board and the announcements.

(Plus I know my way round MK now, and can afford MK prices :P)

Ok thats my case, and you can now see why I never joined a debating club :D

Leave Collectormania @ Milton Keynes.

Ok so C4 was a nightmare but it's free and there is so much going on around it.

I live in Poole in Dorset and would love to see something like Collectormania head this way but not the NEC.

If the NEC is too big or expensive what about the National Indoor Arena NIA?

Thats right in the centre of Birmingham and has all the facilities you need, Bars,Resteraunts and hotels etc.

Yeah the NIA would be a good venue too

Well see I have some arguments for both sides because I never like to be argued against. B)

lfacc was brilliant and it was great that there weren't the random shoppers wandering around but (and excuse me for being trivial and stuff) but one of my main problems with there was that it was quite dark and funny coloured (oooh, I'm good at speaking). I've got a small digital camcorder but it doesnt do well in artificial light, MK is great because it's very light and airy and doesn't feel as enclosed.

I admit the shoppers bothered me but at the moment, I have no source of income except old birthday money and various bits and pieces. I know it wasn't that much to get into lfacc but it makes a difference when you haven't got much money.

Anyway thats just some pieces of information. If it sounds confused, thats because I am.

I think it's just cause i've lived in MK for like 15years, after all that time CMK is just an everyday place not that exciting, but hey the only reason i would move it is cause Middleton Hall is so small for big guests like LoTR people

The only reason i'd say NEC is cos i live near it lol, and it can handle an event of this calibre...i attend all the memorabilia shows.

on the other hand MK does have all the shops if u get bored or need to waste time, i agree if it moves to NEC, although very practical, it could lose it's free entry tag. either way i dont mind travelling wherever it is.

If you don't like the way Collectormania is run then simply don't go, if you prefer to go to a more conventional convention wait for LF&CC, that looks likely to be a twice a year event. I for one want like the fresh approach to Collectormania and moving it to a regular hall somewhere would defeat the whole idea behind it.

The NEC would be ideal and i think that once they have done another LFACC at wembley they will have the experience to take on the NEC.

Well I think SM could have done a "NEC" a couple of years ago, I mean I think anyone can bring 90% of the same 'D' list guests back for every event. I dont mean to knock the NEC show, but it's a whole different thing, that's a collectors meet, with a hand full of decent guests if your lucky. If you want to just buy something then that's the place to go. Anyway SM's are already doing an "NEC" at the LF&CC but is WAY better!!.

I think youve missed the point that for most people MK and London are a long way to go, and expensive. Not to mention the fact that the trains dont come early enough to get there when it opens (no chance of a ticket then) and staying over is not an option as it all adds up to a very expensive weekend before youve even got any autos or memrobilia. I know allot of people, myself included dont have that kind of money. I dont think that paying to get in is a problem, if its easier and cheaper to get to £5 (as it was in London) is nothing really. Also I know allot of students and children with their parents like to go, and again it is too expensive. I know when I was a kid I couldn't have gone, cause my mum would have had to pay for me, which is unreasnable cause she has other kids who would want the same spent on them. Im not saying collectormania should move, just that if it or LFCC did move, the NEC would be a more ideal location.

I dont think that moving it would mean "we would have 90% of the same 'D' list guests back for every event." why should location mean that "bigger" guests would not go? I think that if it was run the same, only somwere elce it would be the same, only somwere elce (minus the shoppers of course, but is that really a problem)

If you want it to be in a shopping centre, try the Bullring in Birmingham, that is Huge, and again easer to get to, it is such a short walk from the train station, and only one stop along from International and the airport.

There are hotels in the area, and lots to do in Birmigham, is is a city after all.

:lol:

As I have not been to a convention before I can not really vote. But I think a middle of the country venue would be best so the entire country have an opportunity to go. If it was a northern location southern people couldn't go and if it was a southern location northern people couldn't go. So a nice middle of the contry location would be best.

I couldn't say whether it would be better to be in a shopping centre or arena both have pros and cons. But speaking to Celebgil it sounds good in a shopping centre but I do agree that it would be annoying if general shoppers who didn't have an interest in the convention got in the way and queued for the sake of it.

Anyway that is my thought, I am sure other people have better reasoning than me.

having collectormania somewhere else makes it a new event, like London Film and Comic Con. i think it would be cool to have a version of collectormania in every region

Well bring one right down South then so I don't have far to go lol!

Obi-Wan :huh:

I think youve missed the point that for most people MK and London are a long way to go, and expensive. Not to mention the fact that the trains dont come early enough to get there when it opens (no chance of a ticket then) and staying over is not an option as it all adds up to a very expensive weekend before youve even got any autos or memrobilia. I know allot of people, myself included dont have that kind of money. I dont think that paying to get in is a problem, if its easier and cheaper to get to £5 (as it was in London) is nothing really. Also I know allot of students and children with their parents like to go, and again it is too expensive. I know when I was a kid I couldn't have gone, cause my mum would have had to pay for me, which is unreasnable cause she has other kids who would want the same spent on them. Im not saying collectormania should move, just that if it or LFCC did move, the NEC would be a more ideal location.

I dont think that moving it would mean "we would have 90% of the same 'D' list guests back for every event." why should location mean that "bigger" guests would not go? I think that if it was run the same, only somwere elce it would be the same, only somwere elce (minus the shoppers of course, but is that really a problem)

If you want it to be in a shopping centre, try the Bullring in Birmingham, that is Huge, and again easer to get to, it is such a short walk from the train station, and only one stop along from International and the airport.

There are hotels in the area, and lots to do in Birmigham, is is a city after all.

:(

Hi Silent Bob, the point I was trying to get across was that moving to a venue like the NEC would just make Collectormania more like all the other regular events held round the country, and I think that the idea behind having it at the MKCentre is as far as I know totally unique and kinda special. I agree with you that MK isn't the most central part of the country but it's only an hour from Birmingham and London, I think now matter where it is there will always be people who find it hard to get to.

I don't know the prices they charge for hiring out the actual hall at the NEC but they normally charge £15 early bird and £10 normal entry + £6 parking per day, if you wanted to attend a 4 day event there, the cost may well be a lot higher than you'd think, and that's b4 you buy anything! Of course that's only for one person, I would think most families would be forces to only attend one day. I'm only guessing at to what it may cost, but i'm sure it would work out to expensive for most to attend 3 or 4 days which a lot of people do. I understand that if you only wanted to go for 1 day then it would probably work out cheaper, and thats fair enough, and i think in a 'hall' you'd probably only want to go for 1 or 2 days as there wouldnt be much else to do.

I would also agree that if you only wanted to attend 1 day then it could be difficult to get to the event for when it opens if there's a problem with transport, but couldn't that happen at any location?

The comment about the 'D' guests was more directed at the fact the 'Memorabilia' is really a collectors fair and I'm sure SM could have done a similar show to that several years ago, I'm sure if SM's did a show there it would be a much bigger show that what's held there now and they would get the same calibre of guests as to what we are getting currently at Collectormania and LFCC . Whether or not the bullring would be an appropriate place or not to hold a similar show, I don't know. I'm sure there are many logistical problems that have been overcome to hold the event at MK. I cant see many people wanting to walk across the city centre late at night to go bowling or see a film though , and there's not many places where the under 18's can just hang around and meet each other. Where at C4 the Xscape centre was ideal for a meeting place, with plenty to do for all age groups, which was either within easy walking distance of most hotels or you had parking directly outside.

I imagine we'll have to agree to disagree on somethings, I just don't think any problems that may have occurred in any past shows cant be ironed out to make a much better show at it's current location.

:wub: