Big Brother is not something we will be having attend at our event

• Showmasters Admin

something has come up and i thought i would share this with some of you

As the organisers we get contacted all the time from the press asking to get access to the fans at our events or to the event itself.

We have been contacted by Channel 5 to enquire if they could film at our events and to see if they could find someone at the show to take part in Big Brother.

we do not feel that this was a good thing for the show or the fans as I got the impression from the email and the wording that they might try to make some of the fans out as sad or try to disrespect them, and thats not something that we feel it right .

So we thought it through and we have not developed it any further with them and have not given them permission to come along and film or do anything at the show .

We felt that this decision was the right thing for our show and the fans. Now, do not get me wrong - free ads in national newspapers is a great thing and would have helped our show, but the damage we felt it would have done by people being ridiculed for something they don't understand would have been too great. We were not prepared to let this happen for any reason.

I myself have worked in the past in the film industry and made many costumes and props and I loved doing that work. I understand the time, effort and care that goes into some of the outfits that you, the cosplayers, make, so to have someone put a negative slant or to try and belittle your hard work is something that I would not be happy allowing. The way the Big Brother people were emailing us it seemed obvious that this was just what they were gong to do.

As a sci-fi fan and as a Star Wars Guinness Book of World Records Holder I have been be-littled before by the press so I am well aware of how often the press pidgeon-hole fans as nerds, sad people or freaks. The amazing thing is I think something like golfing is more insular but no one takes the micky out of that and there is a lot more work, time and care which goes into some of the amazing costumes that we see at some of our our shows.

We run the events for the fans they are the people that make the events happen and without them you have no event so we will keep on looking out for the people that back us and attend the shows we run .

Anyway thatÂ’s just my thoughts, All I can say is that we try to get it right when these thing happen and we try to look out for all and protect you and our shows .

We look forward to seeing lots of cosplayers and costume-groups at our next event, the London Film And Comic Con in July

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Showmasters!!

Thanks for the response and I know you wouldn't allow something like this to happen!! I know this caused an uproar on Facebook and after reading it in the paper.. I was appalled!!

They tried to say that Big Brother was apart of the other event!!

Sorry if I broke forum rules but felt that it should be known and sorry for bringing it into the forums

John

*applaudes*

THIS sort of thing is what makes you guys the best around. So glad you made this decision, but to be fair it was the sensible one anyway so I assumed you would :D

As always and once again, you rock! :thumbup:

Im more annoyed as well that they called the other event London's comic con!! When officallt London Comic Con is in July lol

Thank you for this, i have been ridiculed my whole life for liking sci-fi and fantasy and would hate to be made fun of on a national level. Im 19 in june so i probably would have been a perfect candidate for them to pick on.

It would of been easy for you guys to just let them do their thing but instead you stood up for your customers.

I applaude you showmasters, you really are the best around.

You have gained a customer for life!!!

*applaudes*

THIS sort of thing is what makes you guys the best around. So glad you made this decision, but to be fair it was the sensible one anyway so I assumed you would :D

As always and once again, you rock! :thumbup:

Im more annoyed as well that they called the other event London's comic con!! When officallt London Comic Con is in July lol

That other event is rubbish. They didn't have any good guests last time. Showmasters is the ruler of the UK Con scene.

Thanks Showmasters. I too have been on the receiving end of nasty press at times.

I appreciate that you've came out explicitly to say you consider your attendees and costume groups with respect to press coverage as much as possible.

Edited by Pug50

we are who we are... if we choice to let other people on tv mock us thats our choice.. but a showmasters event. no one can pick on ou, laugh at you or bully you.. thats why we go. its a safe haven for our kind. thanks for having our backs we will always have yours.

• Showmasters Admin

hi all i know there are lots of people unhappy with this happening at another event , and i know the other event has now closed there forum so as i feel strongly about this too i think fans should be able to talk quite freely about this , as long as we do not name the other event i think we should all be able to chat about this .

we have had issues with the press as you all know in the past and i do think we all can make a difference talking it thought and having our say .

jason

Glad to hear this, I've never liked the slant the media try and put on events like this. Like so many things more often than not its just lazy journalism. Nice to hear SM don't subscribe to the all publicity is good publicity school of thought!

This is why I love you guys and your cons. You actually care about your attendees. You set decent prices, make sure we get to do every guest we want, eliminate pointless day long queuing and love and respect us :)

This love and respect creates the fun community that we have at these cons. Familiar faces are greeted with hugs and smiles event after event. Here we are the cool kids and nothing will try to squish that due to you guys ensuring that. Thank you :thumbup:

Thanks Showmaster.

I appreciate the kind thoughts and gesture.

I would honestly have thought twice about attending if there was a TV crew about.

Would it still be possible for them to still sneak in and poach attendees incognito/without SM's knowledge?

Would it still be possible for them to still sneak in and poach attendees incognito/without SM's knowledge?

If they do get in and try to poach attendees, or any attendee thinks they have seen someone trying to, they should let a member of the crew know immediately. The pit bosses (they're the ones in red t-shirts) or someone at the organisers booth would probably be the best ones to tell.

They will then be able to take any necessary action.

Thank you Jason and your Showmasters team.

I'm one of the older attendees at your events and during my younger years (in the 70's and 80's) I had to take a lot of flack from people about my hobby and making costumes. (It was called Fancy Dress in those days) These people just didn't understand and didn't want to.

Now, I really do not want to see anyone else go through what I had to go through. I really enjoy seeing the Cosplayers, and I know how much hard work goes into making costumes.

You guys all keep at it, and never let anyone put you down! :D

This is why I love you guys and your cons. You actually care about your attendees. You set decent prices, make sure we get to do every guest we want, eliminate pointless day long queuing and love and respect us :)

This love and respect creates the fun community that we have at these cons. Familiar faces are greeted with hugs and smiles event after event. Here we are the cool kids and nothing will try to squish that due to you guys ensuring that. Thank you :D

SO SAY WE ALL :D

This love and respect creates the fun community that we have at these cons. Familiar faces are greeted with hugs and smiles event after event. Here we are the cool kids and nothing will try to squish that due to you guys ensuring that. Thank you :D

THIS x10000000000 :D

Many years ago (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) I took part with some friends in a segement about conventions and dressing up in a TV show called London Tonight. We all got interviewed by Paula Yates, and it was only afterwards that we all realised that we had made a bit of a mistake as we were all presented in not a very good way and were made out to be a bit nutty.

So, please don't let Channel 5 anywhere near any of the attendees. Everyone is going to LFCC to have a good time.

It's because of idiots like them that I've been a bit wary of doing cos lay. I definitely feel more encouraged to at Showmasters events after reading this because of seeing that it's not just me that has the hate towards the other 'not to be named but everyone knows who it is' event. Looks like I may be giving raggedy doctor another go at LFCC then ;). As others have already said I but I want to repeat to show my agreement, Showmasters are the best at these events and it would take a he'll of a lot to prove to me otherwise!