• wristbands
    • passes
    • someth9ing else

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

Firstly please let me lay to rest the theory that this is a money saving thing. It's not. When I mentioned the price of badges in the ET4 thread it was because someone was asking for BOTH. The price of the badges and wristbands are about the same. The wristband we are using are very nice cloth wristbands that attach with a small metal band. They are NOT the cheap plastic ones.

There are two main reasons for having them...

1: No swapping!

Some of the reasons for doing this have been mentioned above, like people using them to get into the photo/autographs earlier than they should, this isn't a huge issue but it's there and when it's seen it can annoy people that are playing by the rules. A bigger issue has been brought up by TommyT is that people are swapping badges to get into the talks earlier than they should.

I'm not going to list all of them as I don't wish to give people ideas on how to bypass the current badge system :D

2: They can be colour coded.

One other really big advantage of the wristbands is that we can have different coloured wristbands for each type of ticket (Gold, Silver, Standard).

This will make it easier for the crew to see quickly which type of ticket someone has. Places this will be very useful...

A: Gold pass drinks reception. Yes we do get people sneaking in.

B: Talk sections - And this is the big one. We've had a lot of complains about people sitting further forward than they should. People either taking seats at the start of the talks by swapping badges or sneaking forward once the talks are running, especially in between talks.

So we are going to start checking the hall once it is loaded and then randomly during the afternoon. We will ask everyone to pop their wristbanded arm up so we can see it. With the different colours we will see very quickly if someone is sat in the wrong area.

Before anyone says, but way not 3 different coloured badges. The issue with that has always been that the system for printing the badges we have to pay PER design and then PER badge after that. To have 3 different colours it would cost well over twice as much as having the current single design or the new wristbands.

I understand people like the badges as keep sakes, but I hope everyone can see that we are using the new wristbands to help enforce the systems put in place for the shows, which are there to make the shows fair for everyone.

Stuart.

PS: One more reason. It stops people losing them :unsure:

Edited by Too Tall

• Showmasters Admin

Should we take this as confirmation that we'll be given wristbands at HW2 then?

Having spoken to the office, we'll not have them for this event (or Chevron 7.5). They have to be ordered well in advance and we're waiting to see how they go at ET4 before ordering more.

Edited by Too Tall

• Showmasters Admin

:'( can i get an old pass?

One of my biggest excitements for the con haha!

If it's decided to go with wristbands, I'm afraid there is very unlikely to be a choice.

For HW2 it will be badges.

PS: One more reason. It stops people lossing them :unsure:

Knowing some people, they're fully capable of losing an arm!

That's fine, that's mostly the crew :D

Should we take this as confirmation that we'll be given wristbands at HW2 then?

Having spoken to the office, we'll not have them for this event (or Chevron 7.5). They have to be ordered well in advance and we're waiting to see how they go at ET4 before ordering more.

Thanks. Pleased with that.

Thanks Too Tall, really apppreciate your response and it does make sense but the fan girl in mee is squeeeeeing thate we will get the bands once again for this con. :)

I agree, thankyou for clearing things up. I dont think the money saving suggestion was to be taken the wrong way, had it been anything to do with that at all I think that would have been great because its saving money to use in other areas. I think the wristbands are ideal anyway and all the reasons for having them are legitimate. Im happy either way and Im sure many others are too.

• Showmasters Admin

Thanks Too Tall, really apppreciate your response and it does make sense but the fan girl in mee is squeeeeeing thate we will get the bands once again for this con. :)

I agree, thankyou for clearing things up. I dont think the money saving suggestion was to be taken the wrong way, had it been anything to do with that at all I think that would have been great because its saving money to use in other areas. I think the wristbands are ideal anyway and all the reasons for having them are legitimate. Im happy either way and Im sure many others are too.

Thanks.

I felt I had to clarify the cost issue as although it was only bought up here, and I see you meant to as a positive, in other areas of the forum it appeared to be being used as a bat to hit ME with. i.e. "You've got rid of the badges to save money, that's one less thing we're getting for our money!". Which I just wanted to clarify isn't the case, we're doing it for the good of the show not to save money. That's not what ME are about.

Edited by Too Tall

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHY ME WANT TO DO THIS BUT I LOVE MY COLLECTIBLE PASS AND I AM GIVING MY GOLD PASS TO NO-ONE SO THAT THEY CAN SIT BESIDE ME!!!! YOU WANNA SIT AT THE FRONT, BUY A GOLD PASS. ALSO ME SHOULD HAVE IT THAT ONCE YOU ENTER THE HALL FOR A TALK YOU DON'T LEAVE AGAIN, THERE'S PLENTY OF TIME BEFORE HAND TO HAVE A PEE OR MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CAMERA.

ALSO ME CHECK ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE ENTERING THE HALL WHETHER YOU SEEN THEM 2 MINUTES AGO OR NOT. IT'S UP TO YOU TO MAKE SURE THERE IS TIME TO DO THIS AND NOT HAVE A LAST MINUTE RUSH.

PERSONALLY IF I SEE ANYONE 'CHEATING' I'LL BE REPORTING THEM TO ONE OF THE STAFF. IT'S BECAUSE OF THEM ME ARE HAVING THIS KIND OF PROBLEM. :lol: I REALLY WANT TO KEEP THE PASSES :smile:

AND IF YOU ARE CAUGHT CHEATING YOU OUGHT TO BE BANNED FROM THE EVENTS. "AND THAT'S HOW SUE SEE'S IT". SORRY HAD TO GET THAT IN FOR ALL THE GLEEKS OUT THERE. LOL.

Edited by vampirelie

. ALSO ME SHOULD HAVE IT THAT ONCE YOU ENTER THE HALL FOR A TALK YOU DON'T LEAVE AGAIN, THERE'S PLENTY OF TIME BEFORE HAND TO HAVE A PEE OR MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CAMERA.
Some people have a biological requirement to go to the toilet on a more regular basis than others. Also the guest encounters take place in the afternoon due to the fact that there isn't enough to to fit them in the morning.

Go in with gold pass, cheerily greeting staff on door, grab seat and fiddle with your stuff for a minute or two. Then remember you've left something in your room or you need to go to the loo, so exit room, possibly mentioning to staff that you've just got to pop out to get something. Once outside, hand pass to somebody else who goes and grabs a seat in the gold area. You re-enter a minute or two later, smiling at the staff, who having already seen your pass earlier and having numerous other people to deal with don't check yours. (Or you might even say you've been a klutz and left it on your seat). Bingo, 2 people in the gold area with one ticket. By the time it turns out that the last gold person hasn't got a seat in the gold area, it's a choice of either creating a seat for them, or checking all 300 or whatever gold passes (some of whom may quite innocently and genuinely have also popped out of the room).

Failing that, there's nothing to stop somebody registering early on a Saturday and knocking up reasonable facsimiles of their gold pass for their mates if they're really determined.

Thanks for that scenario. It's amazing the lengths that some people will go to gain a free advantage!

Yes, sorry, but could you not use all capitals for your posts as it is representative of shouting and therefore comes accross as a little aggressive.

Unfortunately, ME couldnt restrict people from going for loo breaks in between the talks, it can be for 3 hours altogether or more, and for some that is not medically possible.

Some people also need to leave the room for fresh air or they get headaches, whatever the reason, people do need to be able to leave.

The wristbands will make it easier to ensure that those leaving and re-entering do so fairly and sitting back down in places that their ticket allows.

ps TT has already said they probably wont have them for this event at least.

Edited by Rhianydd

. ALSO ME SHOULD HAVE IT THAT ONCE YOU ENTER THE HALL FOR A TALK YOU DON'T LEAVE AGAIN, THERE'S PLENTY OF TIME BEFORE HAND TO HAVE A PEE OR MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CAMERA.
Some people have a biological requirement to go to the toilet on a more regular basis than others. Also the guest encounters take place in the afternoon due to the fact that there isn't enough to to fit them in the morning.

I understand that, and the fact that people also have kids who are to say the least unpredictable, which is why I also said that ME should check everyone's pass as they enter the room. ;)

So we are going to start checking the hall once it is loaded and then randomly during the afternoon. We will ask everyone to pop their wristbanded arm up so we can see it. With the different colours we will see very quickly if someone is sat in the wrong area.
Liking this idea. Hopefully everyone will abide by the rules but if not it would be very amusing to see someone caught out in front of everyone else ;)
I understand people like the badges as keep sakes, but I hope everyone can see that we are using the new wristbands to help enforce the systems put in place for the shows, which are there to make the shows fair for everyone.

Stuart.

Like I posted earlier, I may not be a fan of wristbands but if it helps solve issues then I fully support the change.

• Showmasters Admin

ps TT has already said they probably wont have them for this event at least.

We will definitely NOT have them at this event, or Chevron 7.5. We are seeing if they work. IF they do they may well be implemented at all shows next year, but we shall see.

PMSL reading the above.

sorry about the caps it's just that i'm typing on a netbook and the keys are so small i can't be bothered trying to do caps in the middle of a sentence, so no agression intended.

Everyone has a fair point about the wristbands i realise that obviously some people have to be able to leave the room when they want. I myself am being tested for Aspergers Syndrome and sometimes take panic attacks when i am too crowded so might need to leave the room myself, all i'm saying is ME should be checking Everyone upon entry to the room anyway. i just wouldn't like a wristband if it could be avoided, they annoy me in bed. regular random checks would be hilarious. i for one would love to see a cheater being shamed in front of everyone. lol.

Edited by vampirelie