The Football Chat

Daniel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO pleased for Germany. They thoroughly deserved that. There's no point being bitter over the England game ... we were rubbish. End of story!

Hopefully Spain will win tonight (I'm totally Team Spain), making the chance of an all-Euro final even more likely. I'd like to see a Holland vs. Spain final! :lol:

Spain win, just about!!

What a weird second half that was, the referee was a bit erratic to say the least.

Torres looks short or pace, confidence, match fitness, in fact everything that Villa has in abundance at the moment. The game vs Germany might be very high scoring, Spain can't defend and can only attack, whereas the Germans are awesome at counter attacking.

Unfortunately there is 70 odd hours without football now :D

As long as there is no spitting involved, I'm all for it :D *shudders at the memories*

LOL, thats one of my biggest memories of that tournament, the slow motion replay of that incident, it could be in HD this time!

Spain really need to sort it out if they're going to stand a chance against the awesome German team. Germany were incredible earlier, while Spain got through by the skin of their teeth ... granted, the ref. didn't help things for them!

I can personally see it coming to a Holland vs. Germany final, although I'd love for Spain to get there instead.

Torres has been very disappointing in this tournament. What's going on? He's one of my favourite players and is usually amazing to watch, but his football has been very lacklustre. I wonder if he'll start next Wed?

Yeah, I agree. I'd probably go for Fabregas instead.

I personally think Torres plays better in a 4-4-2 formation and is suited better to premiership games, where he can really shine as a player. He hasn't settled into this tournament well at all and, as you said, that seems to be the case with a lot of major players. David Villa, on the other hand, has been awesome!

Edited by theoden_of_rohan

There were plenty of times last season where Torres needed a kick up the spam, if for no other reason than to get him to stop those stupid arguments with refs and opponents which stopped him playing. I don't get the impression that is the problem with him at the moment though, he really doesn't look anywhere near match sharpness, unsurprising given the operations and lack of football at the end of last season and I think by playing him Del Bosque is doing him no favours at all.

Hindsight is a wondeful thing but it might have been better for them to have left him out of the group games so that he might have stood a chance to be in better shape for the knockout rounds. There's no doubt though, at the moment Spain look a better team without him at the moment.

Yeah, I agree. The injuries and subsequent 6 weeks out have obviously had their effects. Torres himself swears he's "match fit", but I'm less than convinced. Shame.

Playing like they are, I can't see them defeating Germany!

Grrr, I hate having to wait for the next match. What the hell am I gonna' do when it's over completely? :unsure:

It hasn't helped that the relationship between Fernando Torres and Rafa Benitez last season was apparently NIL. Many reports have come out of Anfield that Sammy Lee spoke to the players on Benitez's behalf. If this is true, then I can see why he may have lost some of his fizz. You could see the expression's on his and Steven Gerrard's face on numerous occasions when Torres was subbed and no one could work out why.

I am hoping that Holland win the World Cup.

We're gonna have to watch that 'normal' TV stuff again aren't we :P

I've watched six straight episodes of The Wire today and am planning on watching a lot more!

It hasn't helped that the relationship between Fernando Torres and Rafa Benitez last season was apparently NIL. Many reports have come out of Anfield that Sammy Lee spoke to the players on Benitez's behalf. If this is true, then I can see why he may have lost some of his fizz. You could see the expression's on his and Steven Gerrard's face on numerous occasions when Torres was subbed and no one could work out why.

It's hard to know what the relationship was like between Rafa and the players, some comments seem to point towards there being a very poor relationship others suggest that while the personal relationships weren't great the players really respected him as a coach and tactician. It might just be in a few years the truth will properly come out.

Whatever happened at the club last season, I think a clean broom was needed for this season, I just hope that now the manager is in place those that are staying commit themselves quickly, those that are going leave sooner rather than later and those that are coming in are sorted out equally as quickly.

No football, this sucks.

Not much, genre TV coming in the next 6 months either, Caprica second half of season1, Warehouse 13, Merlin and The Apprentice (not genre I know but Lord Sugar rocks). Thank the lord for DVD/BluRay!!

Maybe I have watched too much 24 and see conspiracies everywhere, but am I the only one who thinks Torres is playing so Kak, just so that he can get his transfer fee down!

am I the only one who thinks Torres is playing so Kak, just so that he can get his transfer fee down!

Probably. Everybody knows he's played precious little in the last few months because he had two operations; they'll just think he's not match-fit, rather than he's mysteriously become crap. Anyway, given the financial situation at Liverpool, I doubt anybody there is likely to let him go on the cheap anyway...