Autograph on own item etiquette

Marky242

This may have been covered before but I don't recall what the answer was so here goes:

If you are having a guest autograph your own item (ie a poster) is it ok to take one of the show provided photos (obviously unsigned!). I've noticed a few people do this but everytime I think about doing it I feel uneasy. I'm asking this as there are lots of great Star Wars pics available from the Kurtz/Joiner archive but I am mostly after sigs on my posters or on my already started multi signed pieces!

:D

Yes you can have the photo as it is included in the autograph price.

It is however only classed as stealing if you then attempt to get both the photo and private item signed when you have only paid for one autograph. So anyone that tries that, DON'T, the crew watch for that sort of thing.

As I stated earlier I'm not looking for a freebie - all I was asking is if I'm entitled to take a pic when I get my own item signed. I'm not going to ask anyone to sign anything extra.

I have 6 of my own items that I need Peter Mayhew on so I think he'll realise that I'm not out for a freebie!

Also, I don't plan on asking for a pic every time - the only pics I would be interested in are the Kurtz/Joiner images as they have lots of interesting shots.

I wasn't saying you were after a freebie but I have seen people trying to take a photograph from his selection when they are having their own item(s) signed and he has got quite stroppy about it.

Most guests don't bat an eyelid but I would just suggest a bit of caution around his pictures if you want to avoid an embarrasing scene.

Yes, you can take a picture from the ones on the table as this is included in the price of the autograph.

It's up to you whether you get the picture signed or something you have brought with you. :P

Just to clear this up.. it's usually appropriate first to ask whoever is taking the cash at the photo table to see if you may take a picture. Usually we don't foresee a problem with that, but please put it away straight away, and have your own item ready to be signed. i.e posters out of their protective tubes etc. As crew we DO spot the odd crafty person who tries to slide the picture towards the guest after having had their own item signed. This is not only uncomfortable for us but the guest too when we have to advise them NOT to sign it.

The pictures are provided FREE by Showmasters if you don't have your own item, they're not included in the price. If you take a picture.. please make sure you take only ONE.. I've had several instances where someone has taken 3 or 4. Also some people seem to think that because they have paid for say 5 signatures on 5 of their own personal items, that it entitles them to take 5 pictures from the desk.. it does not!! They cost a lot of money to produce and have to last the entire show.

At the end of the day, Just ask one of us smiley lot on a cash desk.. It's rare we'll say no, but please DO ASK first and not just assume and help yourself.

Edited by DisneyDude78

I would be careful around Peter Mayhew though, I've seen him getting a little feisty if he thinks people are trying to get a freebie!

At Star Wars Celebration Europe back in 2007 he was feisty anyway.

Those that were there will know that on the Saturday night there was a party outside the excel, burgers, refreshments, music a huge lightsaber battle on the bridge. A small family had gone up to him and asked for a photo and he was more than happy to oblige.

I went up to him and asked if I could have a photo, his response was a straightforward, "Nope! Tomorrow."

Seems hes very picky who hes courteous with. Hope it wasnt a personal thing :YAHOO:

Just to clear this up.. it's usually appropriate first to ask whoever is taking the cash at the photo table to see if you may take a picture. Usually we don't foresee a problem with that, but please put it away straight away, and have your own item ready to be signed. i.e posters out of their protective tubes etc.

Is it just me or isn't it sods law that when you do have a personal item and pack the 'free' photo away the queue goes insanely fast as you struggle to get it packed away and get your camera and personal item ready. Yet when you just want the 'free' photo signed the queue moves at a snails pace! :angry:

Just to clear this up.. it's usually appropriate first to ask whoever is taking the cash at the photo table to see if you may take a picture. Usually we don't foresee a problem with that, but please put it away straight away, and have your own item ready to be signed. i.e posters out of their protective tubes etc.

Is it just me or isn't it sods law that when you do have a personal item and pack the 'free' photo away the queue goes insanely fast as you struggle to get it packed away and get your camera and personal item ready. Yet when you just want the 'free' photo signed the queue moves at a snails pace! :P

It happens. Usually because most people don't move away from the guest once say a poster is signed.. they wait for it to dry and slyly have a few extra minutes chatting before rolling it up and putting it away, as opposed to stepping to one side and letting the queue flow.

The pictures are provided FREE by Showmasters if you don't have your own item, they're not included in the price. If you take a picture.. please make sure you take only ONE.. I've had several instances where someone has taken 3 or 4. Also some people seem to think that because they have paid for say 5 signatures on 5 of their own personal items, that it entitles them to take 5 pictures from the desk.. it does not!!

That's really the first I've heard. Indeed in VQs where you are still several metres from the star on several occasions the person on the photo stand has never asked me what I wanted signed, just said take 3 photos if I was getting 3 autos or what ever.

The pictures are provided FREE by Showmasters if you don't have your own item, they're not included in the price. If you take a picture.. please make sure you take only ONE.. I've had several instances where someone has taken 3 or 4. Also some people seem to think that because they have paid for say 5 signatures on 5 of their own personal items, that it entitles them to take 5 pictures from the desk.. it does not!!

That's really the first I've heard. Indeed in VQs where you are still several metres from the star on several occasions the person on the photo stand has never asked me what I wanted signed, just said take 3 photos if I was getting 3 autos or what ever.

He's right - it's what the crew are told. You may also find the crew say no if they're running low on photos. But generally it's fine to take one. :)

EDIT:

From the FAQ.

How much are the 8x10 pictures that the show provides?

The 8x10 pictures that the show provides for signing are FREE. They are primarily for those people who do not have a personal item of their own to get signed; usually, if there are spare, you can get an 8x10 picture free when you buy an autograph, though Showmasters may decline to do so if giving one to someone who doesn't want it signed might mean they will run out, leaving other fans with nothing to get signed.

Edited by KrazyKid197

This may have been covered before but I don't recall what the answer was so here goes:

If you are having a guest autograph your own item (ie a poster) is it ok to take one of the show provided photos (obviously unsigned!). I've noticed a few people do this but everytime I think about doing it I feel uneasy. I'm asking this as there are lots of great Star Wars pics available from the Kurtz/Joiner archive but I am mostly after sigs on my posters or on my already started multi signed pieces!

:vader:

When you meet Gary you could mention that quite a few of us are still interested in a book containing

photos/images from the Kurtz/joiner archive.

This has been mentioned for a few years now but not yet come to fruition ("not a high priority")

If enough people show interest perhaps that will change!

As for the the photos, I always clear it with the minder or person at the table but they have always said yes.

At Carrie Fisher the girl did make some of the classic Leia images unavailable to make sure there were enough left for other customers but that has been the only stipulation I've ever encountered.

This includes Peter Mayhew but that situation may be different if he's providing his own images (the unsigned one I procured had collectamania stamped on it)

I've mentioned about the book the last twice I've met Gary Kurtz - don't have anything for him to sign this time but if he has some interesting images of himself I don't have I may get another couple of autos.

I wish the book and the movie/documentary they were shooting would come out!

Doug Bradley (Hellraiser Pinhead)........I've met Doug a few times at different events over the country and he's a real nice bloke. He chooses to allow you a signed 8x10 for the signing fee, but then any extra items DVDs, books etc he only charges a much smaller fee. Seems a fair way to do things.......

i never take a free photo for 3 reasons

1 i would just want it signed at the next event they attend

2 i have been at the desk when the last photo of the one i want goes so i would hate to do that to someone unless i am getting it signed

3 sometimes the guest themselves bring photos