The Volcano Issue

CelticRob

How might this effect future shows?

Imagine the same scenario of another big eruption happening in the days leading up to a future convention...and no US based guests being able to travel...are any contingency thoughts in place...and by contingency I don't mean adding more star wars extras :wub::(

Imagine the same scenario of another big eruption happening in the days leading up to a future convention...and no US based guests being able to travel...are any contingency thoughts in place...and by contingency I don't mean adding more star wars extras :(:vader:

No-one has a volcano contingency disaster plan, except possibly FEMA. If all flights were cancelled, there would be no international guests, simple as that.

What would happen if an Asteroid hit Milton Keynes? Would SM have a backup venue to move to?

:headscratch:

What would happen if an Asteroid hit Milton Keynes? Would SM have a backup venue to move to?

Thats impossible, the Asteroid would make at least one wrong turn at one of the MK's several thousand identical roundabouts! :huh:

The Volcano has been active for last couple of months so assuming that the eruptions reduce in intensity and the wind changes to it's normal direction then flights should resume and everything will be sorted out in time.

However, if the volcano doesn't play ball and there is a risk of future disruptions, I would guess that actors currently filming won't be given permission to fly to Europe by the studios if there is a risk that they won't get back as filming would be disrupted.

If flights resume by midweek next week, then everything should be back to normal by next weekend, fingers crossed. If flights don't resume at that point most airlines will go out of business anyway, volcano or not.

Edited by TonytheCylon

If flights resume by midweek next week, then everything should be back to normal by next weekend

Given the number of planes and crew that will be out of position, not to mention the number of stranded passengers, there's no way "everything should be back to normal" within a few days.

Imagine the same scenario of another big eruption happening in the days leading up to a future convention...and no US based guests being able to travel...are any contingency thoughts in place...and by contingency I don't mean adding more star wars extras ;):vader:

No-one has a volcano contingency disaster plan, except possibly FEMA. If all flights were cancelled, there would be no international guests, simple as that.

I specifically said 'thoughts', not plans. Maybe the current situation would give rise to showmasters having at least a passing thought to the situation.

I honestly don't know what they could do about it, at the end of the day if planes can't fly then they can't fly. There is very little Showmasters could do under the circumstances, other than get all the guests on a cruise ship to bring them over!

I'm not sure what issues there will be dealing with the backlog of flights. It seems to me they are looking to refund flights rather than rescheduling flights. I would think that with the backlog that must already be in place would make it nearly impossible to clear a backlog in any sensible amount of time.

I really don't think there is any need to panic just yet though, the event is a god six weeks away yet and a lot can happen in that time.

Edited by Count Fooku

I'm not sure what issues there will be dealing with the backlog of flights. It seems to me they are looking to refund flights rather than rescheduling flights. I would think that with the backlog that must already be in place would make it nearly impossible to clear a backlog in any sensible amount of time.

Your probably right about that, many people who were going somewhere for a week or less will just not bother / or be able to go at this time.

The worry is if the authorities lift the flying ban and then whenever the wind direction changes they impose it again. If that starts happening many US guests might be put off or unable to take the risk.

I honestly don't know what they could do about it, at the end of the day if planes can't fly then they can't fly. There is very little Showmasters could do under the circumstances, other than get all the guests on a cruise ship to bring them over!

Fly them into spain, load them all up on a coach and ship them over that way? :P:angry:

Let em' rough it for a bit lol

HOWEVER!

I would be up for an SM/ME Cruise convention! Could you imagine! That would be awesome! =D :P

I love this idea, and I would be more than willing to share my cabin with Charlie Bewley, for SM moneysaving reasons only, obviously!! :angry::P

The jokes in this thread made me laugh so much, thanks guys.

I know there are much more important reasons to hope this all gets sorted out soon... but I will be gutted if the American actors don't make it to CM16!!! :YAHOO:

But this thread went some way to cheering me up.

Somone needs to invent teleportation in time.

Do you think Kate Mulgrew to volunteer for the first trial run?

(I know, but someone had to go for the obvious :D )

HOWEVER!

I would be up for an SM/ME Cruise convention! Could you imagine! That would be awesome! =D :YAHOO:

I love this idea, and I would be more than willing to share my cabin with Charlie Bewley, for SM moneysaving reasons only, obviously!! :D:WINCE:

DAHUDEEEEEEE no :( lol

Imagine the same scenario of another big eruption happening in the days leading up to a future convention...and no US based guests being able to travel...are any contingency thoughts in place...and by contingency I don't mean adding more star wars extras :D:vader:

I specifically said 'thoughts', not plans. Maybe the current situation would give rise to showmasters having at least a passing thought to the situation.

My point is that there is NO contigency for SM. There is no other practicable method of transporting US guests other than flying, simple as that, and SM are not going to have a massive battery of of 'substitute' guests in the event that a Volcano erupts, or an asteroid hits, or the earth collides with the moon. I'm not sure what SM could say that would be sensible.

My view on the situation is that, as others have said here, if the flight restrictions don't get lifted shortly the vast majority of European carriers are going to be out of business anyway. The only silver lining is that they're grounded, so they're not burning aviation fuel. But very few companies can endure much longer than it already has been.

I think it's a real opportunity for the US carriers actually - because they could pick up some very cheap acquisitions. Keep an eye on the share prices of carriers like American Airlines in the next month or so.

HOWEVER!

I would be up for an SM/ME Cruise convention! Could you imagine! That would be awesome! =D :YAHOO:

I love this idea, and I would be more than willing to share my cabin with Charlie Bewley, for SM moneysaving reasons only, obviously!! :D:WINCE:

DAHUDEEEEEEE no :( lol

haha!! Random qu but u may well know the answer, any idea how tall he is?? Am planning for my photoshoots you see..

The jokes in this thread made me laugh so much, thanks guys.

But this thread went some way to cheering me up.

(I know, but someone had to go for the obvious :D )

(I know, but someone had to go for the obvious :YAHOO: )

Isn't Jeff Goldblum more obvious?

Well, we cant do anything about it, so I thought a little fantasy and day dreaming was in order lol

ps I vote for the SG1 transportation device - I forget the episode, but they went to a booth, keyed in where they wanted to go, and ended up anywhere they chose on earth! Now THAT would be awesome! :WINCE:

Imagine the same scenario of another big eruption happening in the days leading up to a future convention...and no US based guests being able to travel...are any contingency thoughts in place...and by contingency I don't mean adding more star wars extras :thumbup::vader:

boats still run from the us and trains from europe, but then i guess cost and avaliability facotrs them come in.

there are plenty of uk based guests to choose fro0m though ;-)