Thoughts From Sunday/Reflections on the Weekend

Count Fooku

However, even Kai stopped doing posed photos at Glasgow (for those who hadn't brought an autograph) on Sunday afternoon because he was tired. I don't know what reason was given but sometimes the actors purely don't want to. I'm surprised they last so long with cameras in their face (I've sat with guests where I've developed a twitch from the number of flashes and my habit is to duck so to not be in the photo.)

I sincerely doubt that any guest is told that they can't do posed photos because of the photoshoot. Most of these things is up to the guest themselves.

Kip

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to give a BIG shout out to John Rhys Davies, even though I didn't meet him!

My friend is a big fan so went up to meet John Rhys Davies and as Mr Davies was signing the photo he asked my friend what he did for a living. My friend replied that he works with kids who have been excluded from school, helping them read and write. Upon hearing this, Mr Davies grabbed another Gimli photo off the table, asked the name of the place my mate worked and promptly wrote on the photo "I went to [the name of the place my mate works] and now I can reed and right [sic] and KILL ORCS!", then signed it and gave it to my mate absolutely free of charge. :-)

Absolutely marvellous of him, complete and utter respect to him. My mate's already planning on getting it framed and putting it up in his classroom. :-)

John Rhys Davies = very nice guy. Fact.

John was really nice to meet.

Really nice for your friend, the pupils will be really pleased to see that.

I went sunday..wasnt as busy as I thought, but was still pretty good.

The 2 level layout worked much better than I expected, however, except the lifts, I could only find 1 set of stairs going up/down, and an escallator going up..unless I missed a down one?

The guests were really friendly, especially Katharine Isabelle who was just lovely, and plenty of stalls.

Though I had so many people to meet in only the one day, I didnt get to see any of the talks, and did have an issue regarding taking photos which ive mentioned below.

Overall, a pretty good day/event, and even better that there was a tesco across the road for food and drink!

One other comment I had was about the "No photos/no videoing" rule. I know that most often this request comes from the guests themselves rather than Showmasters but sometimes the rule just doesn't make sense.

I have a sort of similar comment/complaint/question about this..

No posed photos and no video's fine, and even no photos on a particular guest, as for whatever reason at least its marked up and all that, though it is annoying when guests say they cant do photos due to photoshoots. And on the one side sunday at least, EIGHT of the FOURTEEN guests (so over half) had no posed photo signs!

Thankfully Montserrat who was right in the middle of a cluster of no posed photos signs WAS doing them, I didnt find out until litrelly about 4:30pm sunday that she apparently did a photoshoot at some point which I didnt remember seeing about!

But anyway, what annoyed me was the no photos FULL STOP that was going on!! As ive said, if theres a sign then fine, but several occasions I was stood right at the end of the quing area no-where near the guests, with my big telephoto lens on, and a couple of the crew members (blue shirts) would suddenly leap in front of me, arms up and out blocking the view, saying no photos at all unless I was paying for an autograph! Well for starters, I HAD already got autos from most of the actors I was wanting to photograph, but either due to speed or no posed photo signs I couldnt take photos while meeting them, hence trying after, and I wasnt even in the que's or in the way for them to use that as a reason.

My friend was meeting Jason Momoa and fair enough he had a no posed photos sign, but another friend who had my camera walked nearby only to be shouted at by one of the crew in the area no photos unless paying, and when he tried photographing from outside the que way out at the back, even to get a shot of first friend at least standing with jason, said crew member did the jump in the way thing.

Same again for several other guests..so whats up with that now that we cant even take photos from a distance now, even if they have NO sign saying "No photos"???

Really loved this venue too - more room to move around having things spread over a couple of floors - and much better lighting than Earls Court/Milton Keynes so it's a shame it's not permanent.

It is now apparently..according to the booklet, next Collectormania london is end of the year, but no 2nd MK event :D

oh and another thing- marcus from the last big brother was in there sellin autographs without a table so obviousley wasn't legit and walkin around swearin, i wasnt inpressed

omfg yes, he came over to us and said "I just wanted to say: I approve of your costumes. That's all I wanted to say. And I've said it." And then of course, he just had to continue with "You know who I am right?" -___-

How desperate can a guy get?!?

One of my friends opened recently a new Wool shop in west wales. Not sure wether she wanted a famous face for the launch, or if he just invited himself along, but he ended up doing the grand opening for some reason, but the list of diva demands he apparently had and how rude he was is something you'd expect Mariah Carey to come up with!

Also I asked Jason about the program dates, and the 14th-16th dates for CM MK are WRONG. The poster is the right dates (bank holiday weekend)

I saw that at first and first flew into a panic attack then a fit of rage, as id only booked a hotel for MK on thursday which was pay at booking and non-refundable, so I was livid that I hadnt seen anything on the forums yet now there was a date change.

My friend spoke to Jason though about it who confirmed the dates were a mis-print and all was fine still.

Edited by crippsy_99

I've got saturday in the Saturday thread, but here's Sunday.

Well......annoyed that my alarm didn't go off on the sunday, so didn't get there until 9.50, after swearing to myself i'd get there for 9 for a reasonable JB ticket. Alas, i got number 387 and so after getting everyone else i aimed for, gave the ticket to the fella handing them out and insisted he give it to the next person that came up for a ticket. Think i saw it go to a little kid, so i'm happy bout that.

On to happier matters.

Robert Englund, being open queue, after the quite impressive line he had on the Saturday was a bonus. Great man, finally got him after passing far too any times at events before.

Bronson, being open queue, again on the sturday and healthy queue, but i got down there ticketless. He signed my twighlight poster and commented on how much he loved the tag-line on it. Apologies if i get this wrong, but i am doing it from the top of my head 'Am i the Hero, or am i the bad guy'. Lovely guy and takes an awesome picture, i am very jealous.

GDL, got a low enough ticket today, after having a similar JB experience yesterday. Didn't have to wait very long, he was a good guy. Very funny too, especially as the queue was waiting for the pay desk to get the little number of autograph slips, before we were allowed to procceed, he claimed that 'i'm not gonna start signing until i get as big a queue and John Barrowman'. Again, annoyingly take's such a good picture.

What i reffered to for the day as 'the star wars lot', were great too. Irene Lamb, Jay Bennedict and Anthony Forrest, all took a shine to my mass autographed star wars picture (bloody should do, as it's 15 years of my life and con going, gone into that ), as had Bob Keen the day before. Also got Jay on my mass Aliens broder frame thing too.

Barabar Nedeljakova was lovely. Weirdly didn't have a helper person with her, so was nice to just have a bit of a chat to her. She signed my Hostel poster and took the money on behalf of her helper, in a strange twist on proceedings.

Got Robert Rusler on my NOES frame, border thingy. The last 1 to get after Heather Lagenkamp, Lisa Wilcox on the sat and Robert earlier in the day.

Cynthia Scott, had disappeared for what ending up being roughly 2 hours and her poor helper woman had no idea. She said she had disappeared briefly, but Cynthia hadn't told her where, how long or anything. So after a fair old wait i eventually got her on my Aliens border, frame thing too.

After my decision on leaving JB and hoping to get him at a future event, i decide to spend that money on a Freddy Vs Jason border frame thing and got Katherine Isabelle to sign that. Lovely and absolutely gorgeous little thing. She really is a cracker!!

I'll attempt to get all the pics i mentioned online and i'll post em in the photo thread, so please do take a look.

Was a great weeekend though, thanks SM. What's next now then? (other than xmas of course )

Great day, could only make Sunday :(

Got there quite early to get a JB VT ticket, didn't want the mayhem of CM MK !! Everyone was very civilzed when they opened the doors, no-one rushed or ran. Loved the Olympia very good layout and thankfully well sized !

Wasn't originally going at all, but then they announced Shannon Doherty, Kai Owen and then JB, so i just couldn't not go !! And at last minute Gareth David Lloyd :D

Everything was very laid back concerning JB this time around, i think SM learned there lesson at CM MK !! lol !! It all ran very smoothly from the autos to the photo shoots. And the crew man manning the photo q A was superb, very patient consisdering he had to put up with hyper JB fans !

Kudos as usual to Too Tall (Stuart) when he had to deal with ignorant people wanting to take more photo's of JB as he was leaving.

Strange seating plan for the talks, i got confused and ended up in the wrong seat at the TW talk, but amazingly didn't get moved as there were quite alot of empty ones !

My only complaint ? The car parking was expensive !! I could have had another photo with what we paid !! lol !!

Thank you SM/ME for a great day and to all the guests i met and friends i met with too. :thumbup:

Here's to the next one :dance:

Edited by hells childe 17

I only went yesterday and this was my first Collectormania. I had a fantastic time. I got a photo with John and Kai, and whilst I did toy a few times with getting John's autograph, I decided against it, but was happy to just watch from afar of John signing, and bought some stuff instead. The crew really handle these events superbly and I was surprised John's auto queue was being handled very well. The Torchwood talk was brilliant (as I thought it would be anyway). I thought the seating for the talk was confusing and people did indeed seem to be queuing everywhere, but we ended up sitting in our proper seats so it wasn't too bad, in my opinion, at all.

xxx

Edited by Chelle2009

I had an awesome time! Hello to everyone I met! Everyone was just so friendly!

My highlights were meeting Robert Llewyllen and Neil Roberts, but every guest that I met was lovely.

My other non-guest related highlights was getting my photo (dressed as Donna Noble) with all of the Jacks and Doctor cosplayers that I did. Hello to you all!

My friend was meeting Jason Momoa and fair enough he had a no posed photos sign, but another friend who had my camera walked nearby only to be shouted at by one of the crew in the area no photos unless paying, and when he tried photographing from outside the que way out at the back, even to get a shot of first friend at least standing with jason, said crew member did the jump in the way thing.

Same again for several other guests..so whats up with that now that we cant even take photos from a distance now, even if they have NO sign saying "No photos"???

Hello.

Had same problem as above. I respected JB's decision to not allow posed photos at desk, so when my daughter went to get his autograph i thought i'd stand well out of the way in the corner of the hall.Sure enough,as soon as it was time to take the pic...bam!! silly lady waving arms at me and getting in the way. Did explaining to her help? why of course not. Still...nice photo of her.

Best guest... Katherin isabelle! What a star.

See when it comes to the photos being stopped completly, you really have to go higher (no offence meant) than the SM crew.

They can decide about posed or not, but sometimes the guest or their agent wont want them to be snapped randomly incase the picture is bad and ends up in some sort of magazine (which I have been told pay for bad celeb pics that you may have)

One time I saw Barrowman somewhere and he was asking people as he went down the line not to take just random pics incase they end up on certain online sites, so maybe he, Jason and Shannon had asked for that sort of thing to be stopped.

I know (and so do the crew) that nobody is really doing it for that reason (I hope), but if a guest requests something like that and then the crew dont enforce it properly, the guest may see that as the crew not doing as they wished and not come back/complain to the organisers that they wernt treated correctly.

Plus unless you know the crew memeber, they dont know why your taking the picture. You could be just some paperazzi who paid a fiver to go in and snap a couple of big stars for whatever reason, hoping to catch them maybe having a go at a fan or picking their nose.

I know that this sort of thing can be frustrating, but its the rubbish paperazzi-type people of this world that have ruined it for us fans and made certain people ask for these rules when they appear somewhere.

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88

Hello.

Had same problem as above. I respected JB's decision to not allow posed photos at desk, so when my daughter went to get his autograph i thought i'd stand well out of the way in the corner of the hall.Sure enough,as soon as it was time to take the pic...bam!! silly lady waving arms at me and getting in the way. Did explaining to her help? why of course not. Still...nice photo of her.

Best guest... Katherin isabelle! What a star.

There was a sign on the pillar saying no photo's or videos of any kind of John Barrowman, we were just doing what was being asked of us.

Edited by amyxx

I know (and so do the crew) that nobody is really doing it for that reason (I hope), but if a guest requests something like that and then the crew dont enforce it properly, the guest may see that as the crew not doing as they wished and not come back/complain to the organisers that they wernt treated correctly.

Then these guests should not be on display for all to see..they should be at their own little sections and/or boards around them to prevent this, like usually happened back in mk when guests would be put down the sides boarded up so no-one could see them until they were in the que just before them.

If they are on show, especially if they have no que or very few people, then people are going to try.

And considering it was almost the whole line, why could a sign or few not have been put up banning all camera's from that area?

There was a sign on the pillar saying no photo's or videos of any kind of John Barrowman, we were just doing what was being asked of us.

And the rest of the guests who DIDNT have any 'no photos' signs up but we were still stopped from photographing?

But one of my main issues is that some, such as Jason, the crew WERE allowing photos, but ONLY if you paid for an autograph there and then..

I think with the barries thing it depends on the venue and such. Last MK because of the layout most of the bigger guests were behind walls and under canvas. Events like this and LFCC the place is too open-plan for such things.

Plus it might of been requested when the guests turned up, way too late for them to set up some way of blocking out photographs.

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88

I know that this sort of thing can be frustrating, but its the rubbish paperazzi-type people of this world that have ruined it for us fans and made certain people ask for these rules when they appear somewhere.

Actually it's not. It's easy to blame the paparazzi, but they're just satisfying a demand from tabloids and celebrity magazines. Tabloids and celeb magazines are going to buy those pictures from paps so long as there is a demand for them from their readership. And so long as people buy those publications that publish pap stuff (and indeed seem to eagerly consume all the pap photos), then the paparazzi will still have a job, and some guests will be wary about being snapped by them. And I'm afraid that some of the eagerest audience for those pics are some of your fellow fans. (Maybe not here, but in the wider world).

Weird, I was there on Sunday, too, but when I went to meet Jason I had my friend right next to me snapping pictures while he signed and no one said anything about that not being alright.

Well I went to meet Jason Momoa on Sunday and bought three autographs and then asked for a photo with him as we weren't allowed to take any photos of him, and before he could answer, I was told by his assistant that he wasn't doing photos at all. Even though I'd seen him doing them with some girls who went up and some Stormtroopers. I was too late for even the chance of a photoshoot. Jason said as I'd bought three autographs, if I asked him when he was walking around he'd do it, only to be shouted down by his assistant who said "You won't if I'm with you!" Not very professional to talk to the guest like that. Still it made her day as she stared at me smiling to herself. Maybe she'd had a bad day or maybe a house had fallen on her sister.

If the guest isn't busy and is willing to do a photo - I don't see the problem. I love going to Showmasters events but am concerned that the photoshoots are replacing taking photos on your own camera. I hope this isn't the case, as that was what stopped me going to the other organisers events in London, and probably Birmingham too.

Other than that incident, I had a great time as usual. Steve Blum was a great guest idea, and seemed to have a great time. Also glad to have got another "Aliens" Marine - roll on Bill Paxton!!!

Robert, Heather, and John RD were also great guests and really know how to make you feel at ease and were really nice.

The venue was different but worked well I thought, maybe some extra seats next time, as I had to step over quite a lot of people who seemed to have literally collapsed on the floor. I look forward to the next one!

I have to give a BIG shout out to John Rhys Davies, even though I didn't meet him!

My friend is a big fan so went up to meet John Rhys Davies and as Mr Davies was signing the photo he asked my friend what he did for a living. My friend replied that he works with kids who have been excluded from school, helping them read and write. Upon hearing this, Mr Davies grabbed another Gimli photo off the table, asked the name of the place my mate worked and promptly wrote on the photo "I went to [the name of the place my mate works] and now I can reed and right [sic] and KILL ORCS!", then signed it and gave it to my mate absolutely free of charge. :-)

Absolutely marvellous of him, complete and utter respect to him. My mate's already planning on getting it framed and putting it up in his classroom. :-)

John Rhys Davies = very nice guy. Fact.

yeah in total agreement, he chatted to me and told me there wasnt enough redheads in ths world lol and i had a lovely accent!!!!! he left a very personal message on my photo which made me smile for ages after, really cool, really lovely guy!!!!!

Great Show - Great Event and Reality Bites this morning!!

Star trek guests- they were all fantastic!!! They took the time to talk to the fans and remembered you all too!! They were so lovely and easy to talk to and made you feel special!! The Star Trek talk was fantastic with great stories and wonderful memories that they shared with the fans :-) Thank you alll so much you made our weekend :-) WE LOVE YOU GUYS see you at the Star Trek con - come one Showmasters PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :YAHOO:

Klingons photoshoot - guys you were brilliant= how about a photo shoot with you guys and Chancellor Gowron and General Martok at CM16 = you would make alot for a great charity and everyone would want one!!! Klingon feast too!!!!!

A great weekend that I did not want to end and can not wait until CM16 in May 2010!!!

:thumbup::YAHOO::dance:

I had such a great time today! Went back just for the Star Trek talk, and it was great. I could listen to George talk forever! And I got to ask a question :)
I think George could happily talk forever. I recall at Midlands duing his talk not many questions were asked realtive to the time, due to his self-admitted length replies. Extremely interesting replies I might add. If we do get a Trek con (is that a song I hear?) then George has to be on the guest list!

1 of 2

I hear your song on Unimatrix Zero

George was wonderfull I could listen his stories all day about the original series!!

Star Trek Con yes please!!! Guests - Sulu (new and orginal), Odo, Spock (new and original), Quark, Leeta, Capt Sisko, Uhura (new and original), Capt Kirk?????, Capt Janeway and her crew and everyone else!!!!

PLEASE SHOWMASTERS!!!!!!

Thanks to all those who came over for a photo. Lots of money was raised. Despite being knackered, we had lots of fun & are looking forward to doing another one.

A Trek Con would be fantastic and the more Klingons the better.

I only met the Torchwood guys (Gareth, Kai and John) at the event, and my favourite one of them all this time has to be the lovely Gareth. Not only was he completely adorable :thumbup: but we also shared a joke when he couldn't hear me mumble my name. lol Had an enjoyable huggy picture with him at the photoshoot (which I'm still recovering from) and when I met Gareth again the next day, he wrote something really hilarious on my torchwood talk photo before calling me a sweetie. :YAHOO: Also had another pic taken at his table & he's just so cute and brilliant with his fans! lol :YAHOO: I thought Kai was funny and a little strange. It was the 1st time I had met him for an auto and he pretended that he weren't going to sign for me for like over 5 mins, before writing something funny on my photo in mocking response to what Gareth had written. He did agree to pose for a photo though, so I'll forgive him for swigging from his can of booze. lol As for John on the other hand, I was quite disappointed. He used to be my favourite Torchwood guy, but this time around he seemed a little off. I had eye contact with him (a rarity) just before we posed at the photo shoot and he had such a serious look on his face when I smiled at him. And when I went to get his auto, he didn't even look at me, or acknowledge anything I said, and in fact turned around to chat with someone behind him as he signed. Made me wish I hadn't bothered to see him :D The only other moans were the layout of Sunday's Torchwood talk. I was sat behind a tall person so couldn't see the stage and I think the whole design of the talks should change. I would of had better view standing outside looking in & think the stage area should be higher. Also wasn't happy with the lack of places to sit at the venue, but apart from that I really enjoyed the event, and thought everyone (crew & fans etc) were very friendly, which is good.

And yes I am now a big Ianto fan :dance: ... hey did I say that Gareth was adorable? lol :D

oh and another thing- marcus from the last big brother was in there sellin autographs without a table so obviousley wasn't legit and walkin around swearin, i wasnt inpressed

I saw him doing that too, I thought that was horrendous, he was abusing the venue for his own gain... what a w*nker, I said that pretty loud near him too, so I hope he heard.

Then these guests should not be on display for all to see..they should be at their own little sections and/or boards around them to prevent this, like usually happened back in mk when guests would be put down the sides boarded up so no-one could see them until they were in the que just before them.

If they are on show, especially if they have no que or very few people, then people are going to try.

And considering it was almost the whole line, why could a sign or few not have been put up banning all camera's from that area?

And the rest of the guests who DIDNT have any 'no photos' signs up but we were still stopped from photographing?

But one of my main issues is that some, such as Jason, the crew WERE allowing photos, but ONLY if you paid for an autograph there and then..

I dont think people should take photos from a distance - if you want to meet them and have a photo then pay the money. What really annoyed me on Saturday was the amount of times I was actually meeting the guest and someone behind was taking photos - bit of consideration please!!!

Actually, I suspect that had a lot more to do with the low temperature and high winds, rather than any attempt at secrecy!