Advice

owlpost1992

Right, so I know a few people are new to cons and there are old hands, this thread is just to give advice to newbies or oldies who didn't it.

Righto, advice number 1: Get a display book (£2.99 in WHSmith) and place all your pictures in here that you want signed. Reason for this is you get an envelope and with so many guests it takes a while to dig the right picture out and so you hold up the queue or end up with things all over the floor another reason is that once its signed and back in display book than the plastic wallets can save the autos from rubbing off.

Advice 2: Talk to the guest, this is your moment to engage with them on a personal basis so take your time (but remember not to talk too long and disrupt the queue).

Advice 3: TAKE A BOTTLE OF WATER WITH YOU!! I know this sounds silly but the queues are epic and at the Park Inn it was very hot.

Advice 4: Make sure your make-up is spotless (you too boys :D ) cos its not good to hold up a queue because your mascara's running. And don't forget your hair too!

Right any more words of wisdom please share.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Righto, advice number 1: Get a display book (£2.99 in WHSmith) and place all your pictures in here that you want signed. Reason for this is you get an envelope and with so many guests it takes a while to dig the right picture out and so you hold up the queue or end up with things all over the floor another reason is that once its signed and back in display book than the plastic wallets can save the autos from rubbing off.

ooh thisis helpful id have never have thought to do this, thanks :)

Hey, my make-up's always spotless! :(

She's not kidding....she doesn't go anywhere or do anything unless she's put together just right.

My make-up, on the other hand, is often non-existent. Unless, of course, there has been a photo-op, in which case it's usually not too catastrophic. :blink:

*makes note to take lessons from Xenutia*

• Moderators

I ended up buying a display book in Sainsbury's on Saturday lunchtime last time cos I hadn't thought of it. This time I am prepared enough that my display book has a snazzy printed spine label with 'Hub 3', the dates, and a TW 'T' on it... :)

If you use a display book, don't put pictures in for 5 minutes or so as some of the coloured Sharpies don't dry on gloss paper enough that they won't smudge. I use a hard plastic case like this, http://www.ryman.co.uk/Tiger-Brand-Deep-Tu...-0101660420.asp - they are crush proof in luggage, you can stack pictures without them touching the box so the last auto you've got is dry when you put the next in, and it's easier to find and pull out pictures. You can also pre write your name on post its and stick them in the lid for easy get-at-ability, and as they're rigid you can scribble stuff whilst in the queue if needs be.

Carry a fold up brush and mirror in your pocket for last minute checks in the queue.

If wearing jeans, loop the chain of your pass through the belt loops so it's visible/accessible for the crew to check but not visible in photos.

Cereal bars are your friends!

Eye drops - hotel rooms are usually nice and airless, leaving you with blood shot/itchy eyes, not a nice look in pictures.

I saw a US con offering very, very sage advice based on the 1-2-3 rule. 1 shower a day, 2 meals a day, at least 3 hours sleep.

If you're female, She Laq by Benefit will make sure your make up will not shift. It varnishes it to your face, particularly useful if going the glitter route.

Try and be aware who's around you. Yes, you are excited/nervous/whatever, but that doesn't mean the person behind you in the talks/queues wants mouthfuls of your hair as you flick it about, or facefulls of perfume as you spray it everywhere.

Other advice I have is more specific dependant on the actual con (mead, for example, is the work of the devil no matter what that cute Finnish guy tells you). The main advice for SM ones though is be considerate, everyone is there for the same reason and no one is more entitled than others (except the crew, who you should talk to and have a laugh with whilst standing around for the many, many hours of queuing because they're fab).

ooh thisis helpful id have never have thought to do this, thanks :)

I wouldn't have thought about this either! Thanks!

Having never been to a con like this before, I haven't any specific advice, however one thing that carries in all situations is to be comfortable in what you wear. You may look fabulous, but if you are constantly pulling at clothes or fiddling with your hair, then your innate fabulousness will be dimmed! :P

Oh cool this is such a good idea. As i've been to cons such as LFCC but not weekend cons this is perfect. I especially didn't think of getting a plastic folder. Can i just ask isn't the people who usuaslly sell the autograph folders there? Or would u recommend just buying a folder beforehand

Oooh forgot a rule of make up. Make up should follow the rule of least astonishment, it should astonish the wearer the least :lol:

Oh and then there are the Rules as per my sig *points down*

My thing is to remember to talk to people and not be shy and hide in the background!

Oh cool this is such a good idea. As i've been to cons such as LFCC but not weekend cons this is perfect. I especially didn't think of getting a plastic folder. Can i just ask isn't the people who usuaslly sell the autograph folders there? Or would u recommend just buying a folder beforehand

Yup, dealers room has auto folder but there pretty much like an envelope i.e. all in one thing so will still be hard to the precise one thing you need.

Oh and another thing if not too drunk after Friday party then spilt auto stuff up sat you had abc on sat and xyz on sun then put the items you want signed in separate piles, this is very good if you have bulk items.

Oooh forgot a rule of make up. Make up should follow the rule of least astonishment, it should astonish the wearer the least :lol:

I'm not an expert on makeup, lol, but one thing that's really important if you're going to be wearing it a long time without much chance to retouch it is to "set" it right. Like, if you wear foundation or concealer, use a setting powder with a big brush and dust over it lightly to make it stay put. And for lipstick, always smudge a little foundation on your lips first to prevent the colour from bleeding, then line your lips with a pencil liner. Apply the lipstick with a lip brush rather than straight from the lipstick and it will stay put much, much longer. And at the very end, get the same big brush you used for the setting powder, hopefully with a few grains of the powder still on it, and kind of purse up your lips and "kiss" or "dab" the end of the brush on them a few times, quite hard. The colour will get ever so slightly paler, but it will stay put for ages!

Oooh forgot a rule of make up. Make up should follow the rule of least astonishment, it should astonish the wearer the least :P

I'm not an expert on makeup, lol, but one thing that's really important if you're going to be wearing it a long time without much chance to retouch it is to "set" it right. Like, if you wear foundation or concealer, use a setting powder with a big brush and dust over it lightly to make it stay put. And for lipstick, always smudge a little foundation on your lips first to prevent the colour from bleeding, then line your lips with a pencil liner. Apply the lipstick with a lip brush rather than straight from the lipstick and it will stay put much, much longer. And at the very end, get the same big brush you used for the setting powder, hopefully with a few grains of the powder still on it, and kind of purse up your lips and "kiss" or "dab" the end of the brush on them a few times, quite hard. The colour will get ever so slightly paler, but it will stay put for ages!

Bloody hell, I think I'm gonna be looking like an old hag at all times.

• Moderators

While I do OWN make-up... 99% of the time it stays in the make-up bag in my wardrobe. I'm not a make-up-y person, really...

(and even when I do put it on, it's generally a smudge of eyeshadow, mascara and lippy and that's it)