Have you ever felt shy or nervous when you have met a guest ?.

Beth

I felt very shy every time I was around a guest...

My English is not usually too bad, but well, when I'm close to a guest, I can't speak a word of good English... All I can do is mumble a couple of words and that's all...

Okay, I have to admit it was my 1st signing event but I'm not sure it will improve for the next one, which is in two months now...

Yet, I keep my fingers crossed that I will be able to say a proper sentence to Brian Krauze, John Rhys Davies, Bronson Pelletier and so on!!

• 1 month later...

All the time. Absolutely all the time, which is a bit ridiculous since I work in a theatre and should be used to it...

I think of these questions in the queue - I wanted to ask Mark Lutz at Hallowhedon about casting his film 'Victor', or pick up on a previously made point about MacBeth to James M, but by the time I get to the end of the queue it's *very quiet voice* 'Hi....' :D

I'm always nervous. I'm not much of a people person - am terrible with small talk. So I usually say something embaressing or get confused, or vaguely insult the guest by accident (like telling Allison Mack that she 'sweeter than I expected' - which was not what I meant, luckily she did know what I meant) :D

Edited by Tourniquet

• 1 month later...

I'm always nervous. I'm not much of a people person - am terrible with small talk. So I usually say something embaressing or get confused, or vaguely insult the guest by accident (like telling Allison Mack that she 'sweeter than I expected' - which was not what I meant, luckily she did know what I meant) :(

oh yer i'm always nervous. I go to the cons excited to meet the guests and when it actually comes out my mind goes blank and all that comes out is hi...and a silence as i try to remember my own name. It's not good lol. But i suppose it's easier if the guests talk first with me. John Virgo at collectormania london recently started talking to me and only after that did any words come out. I suppose I just need more experience. I also tend to be more confident with female guests than male guests. Can't think why?? :blush:

• 5 months later...

Mm, it would depend for me. If it's a guest that I don't know much about / haven't seen in action, then to me they're just another person and I'd chat away quite happily.

Whereas if it's someone that I admire / like, and have watched regularly etc, then I'd probably be a bit tongue-tied alright.

• 2 months later...

I remember my first show I was really nervous. David Naughton was talking away to me trying to get me out of my shell but I wasn't budging! bless him.

These days I just accept they are just people like you and I so never get that fussed now. I do kind of miss the days I was so shocked to see the actors in real life it was a real buzz. I still enjoy it as much as ever but in a different way.

• 1 month later...

It depends who it is, but often pretty nervous.

Unfortunately, when I'm nervous, I can either clam up completely (bad) or start talking rubbish (worse).

Got off to a tricky start, with the first guest I ever met being Julie Benz.

I said this was my first signing event, she said 'Have I popped your cherry?', and my brain shut down. Clare Kramer, who was next, must have thought I was almost mute.

My worst experience was with Terry Pratchett - I'm a huge fan - where I babbled so much the man himself told me to shut up, and in retrospect I don't blame him.

It's funny now, but at the time I could have died...

• 4 weeks later...

I am actually more nervous about meeting fellow fans than guests. I am looking to start going to events again in 2011, but will be travelling alone. As regards meeting guests, I always make sure I look up film and tv work by them and speak about that. I have found that the guests love it when you speak to them about many different aspects of their work as some have commented that it makes them feel that all of their work is appreciated rather than the odd bit here and there. I remember meeting Andrew Robinson when he was most famous at the time for playing Garak in Star Trek DS9, I spoke to him and had a photo from Dirty Harry. I adore him as the Scorpio Killer and he commented that I was the only person so far (and I was late going in) to speak to him about the Scorpio Killer role.

• 7 months later...

I haven't yet, but what would you do if you felt shy or you weren't sure what to say to them ?.

Well whatever you do don't try to picture them in their underwear turns out that just makes it awkward and unsettling. Theres nothing wrong with being shy i've been there loads of times and still just ended up saying the first thing i could come up with which turned out being quite cute. Being shy whilst your talking is fine but being arrogant and egoccentric that can be pretty...disrespectful.

• 1 month later...

I haven't worked how to handle shyness yet. I'm fine in photoshoots as they're so quick, but meeting guests for autographs? Dreadful, for the most part. All pre-rehearsed conversation tends to go out of the window, although I have managed to pull myself together for a few people and even had some great conversations, although that's usually because the guest is being chatty. I can manage a "Hi," and a "Thanks/Nice to meet you," during those tongue-tied times, but that's about it.

I haven't worked how to handle shyness yet. I'm fine in photoshoots as they're so quick, but meeting guests for autographs? Dreadful, for the most part. All pre-rehearsed conversation tends to go out of the window, although I have managed to pull myself together for a few people and even had some great conversations, although that's usually because the guest is being chatty. I can manage a "Hi," and a "Thanks/Nice to meet you," during those tongue-tied times, but that's about it.

Depends on the Impression your trying to make because what I always try to do is make friends with the guests and try to be myself but more friendly and open. Although I'm not gonna lie sometimes when you meet a guest you get completely starstruck and just wanna wing it on a one liner :-D which is awesome fun. They like to be friendly and talk.

Edited by adam.anouer

• 2 weeks later...

i used to be a bit shy and nervous but now can happily talk to any guest who allows me to talk with them for a while only time i was very quiet was with hayden pannettiere as was a massiver fan of heroes and claire was my favourite character so didn't help but luckily when i met karen gillan this year thought it was going to be exactly the same but managed to have a quick conversation

so tip for people who are shy when in the q for a guest just think of something you want to ask and ask and then the conversation will be ok even if is short will help for a memorable time :)

I definetly was when I first started Collecting , as many of the names I met I never actually thought I would get the chance to meet them.

I think the thought of meeting one of your favourite actors and having a bad experience can be worrying and you could end up being very disappointed. Fortunately I can say in the main over too many years now that I would like to mention I've rarely been disappointed.

Over the years the ones I think I have been the most anxious about meeting were ones that I was a huge fan of as a kid, like Adam West or Mark Hamill who were both fantastic.

The most embarassing situation that springs to mind was when I met Eliza Dushku , being a big fan I was nervous already but had brought a copy of SFX magazine for her to sign. However, the picture some what obscured the letter F, so she thought it was an E instead, which wasn't helped by the lady in the queue behind me making a comment along the lines of seeing me buying the mag off the top shelf earlier !!!!

Red faced, I made a hasty retreat on that occassion. Fortunately I did get to meet Eliza again.