Not normally one to moan but I am going to!

TRUKid

Hallowhedon is approx 9 weeks away and we have two fantastic main character guests, yet The Hub 3 which is the weekend before now has 11 guests.

I have heard the reasoning that it is a british show so the guests are easier to get hold of but there are hundreds of actors/actresses who could be invited from Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity and dollHouse.

I know Showmasters are not sitting on guests waiting to annouce them but I just feel that this is turning into another Lockdown or even worse.. Abrams inc!

Sorry to moan but I check this forum so many times each day I just want one tiny guest to cheer me up!

*Rant over*

Edited by PlayfulHeartMonkey

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure everything will turn out fine. You'll probably find, with an event like this, that most of the guests will hold out from guaranteeing attendance until nearer the time as tv shows will be filming again after summer breaks etc in the US. We'll probably get a load of guests in the last month and a bit, you'll see. Although, I agree it would be nice to get one this week, especially as it's my 30th Birthday on Wednesday (hint hint), a good day for a guest me thinks!

Hey there,

Im totally with you on this rant. Ive been to many conventions in the past but this is my first in a few years. My friend and I are going to meet up with old friends and get back into the fun for one last time (apart from Bitten next year maybe!) and although Ive met loads of the Buffy and Angel cast several times before, Im getting quite concerned that theres only 2 guests and were not far away now.

They need a major miracle or I can see this event being quite naff and weve paid out a lot for tickets, hotel and travel not to mention outfits etc as well. Its not cheap doing a con and the guests make up for lots of that.

I know most people will say things will work out and will be ok etc but for those of us who have done lots of cons or events its a worry when theres only 2 guests so far! Get a wiggle on Showmasters!!!

I totally get what you're saying, but I would like to remind you that there's another topic about why there aren't any guestannouncements. It's my first time, so I was a little worried to, but after reading this: I totally get it.

In short: It's because they (ME) want someone big, and until they know for sure, they won't know how much money they have left for other guest. Or something like this. Like I said: I'm a newbie... But this is what I got form the other posts...

xoxo Aivy

I understand your worries guys, I mean the event is pretty close and I admit seeing the hub 3 with 11 guests is frustrating to say the least.

But SM told us what they were doing (trying to get UK first timers) a month or so ago. I'm not worried about only having 2 guests because there are so many options and SM have worked with loads of them before, it is irritating waiting so long but we have great ticket sales so far (especially for only having 2 guests), so relax, it'll be fine ;)

Here is an extra reasurance......... Nathan Fillion was only announced a couple of weeks before Collectormania this year!

I think it is generally disappointing that further announcements have not been made, whilst the two guests announced to date have primary roles in one of the Wheedonverse shows this barely scratches the surface of his works.

Looking at the content of contracts with actors attending conventions the contracts permit advertising of the guest with "subject to work commitments" thus any guest being willing to attend can sign the contract in the knowledge that they can withdraw their agreement to attend with little or no notice - there is no disadvantage to a guest's career in agreeing to attend.

SM/ME must have an estimate of what they are willing to pay for big and small guests and therefore should be able to negotiate with both at the same time, certainly leaving negotiations with 'smaller' guests until after conclusion of negotiations with 'bigger' guests is most likely to leave the event short of guest attendance as like all of us we take on other commitments as the weekend grows nearer.

I also find it slightly strange that SM/ME do appear to be rather slow at formally responding to what is a legitimate and justifiable customer concern. Instead as I note with other threads we are given reiterations of a SM/ME position from a general board user - perhaps if we as users of the board stop this SM/ME will have no option but to respond to genuine concerns?

Im totaly with you guys.. as much as i love showmasters and massive events.. after the eclipse 3 thing that happened.. i cant help but worry this is going to go in exactly the same way. Theres is a riduclous amount of opertunitys for guests for this, that a full lineup of 6 ud think wud be easyenough.. but we onli have 2 and not so long to go.. and with no input from SM, its really worrying.

i mean i dont even care if we dont get an "amazing" guest, some smaller guests who have smaller p[arts in the shows wud make us happy im sure?.. or just even an input from sm to let us know whats going on!?

Sorry Sm but im afraid i have to agree with everyone else as well.

There is so many oppurtunties for guests here theyre right! even minor characters like sazzy says...i was thinking any buffy/angel con would be massive and i know u guys have had loads of guests from them shows AND firefly over the years at regular mixed signings.

I was really looking forward to this event but like everyone else im getting a little worried..theres been more guest announcments for other cons that are either before this event or even after this event.

An update would be nice? on anything at all

I am with the rest of you! I totally understand that your trying to get us this amazing first timer but I am quite pleased with the 2 guests we got so will be happy with smaller guests.

Being as its so close is there any chance for you to give us some sort of update, Its been along time since we've had any news as to what is going on? Are we gonna get a full lineup?

I have to say i'm with everyone on this. I'm all for holding out for a big guest but to be honest I couldn't dream of anyone better than James for myself at least but i'm scared holding out for the big guest will mean we're missing out on a full line up. I'd be happy with whoever was announced at this stage.

The drastic difference between this con and Eclipse 3 or The Abrams con, is that lots of tickets have been sold for this one. At those events, SM/ME were going to end up making large losses whatever happened and larger ones if they'd gotten more guests.

I'm sure it's just a scheduling thing, the strikes of the last few years have thrown production schedules out. Combine that with the fact that the networks are still deciding which shows to renew, makes it hard for an actor/actress to commit to something like this. It's much easier for an event like The Hub, or Housebroken, because all/most of the cast are UK based and can therefore commit around whatever shooting schedule they are given.

While I'm confident everything will be excellent with this con, I still think it would be nice to maybe have an up day such as perhaps letting us know you've got some contracts that are signed and due to arrive next month or something. At least some people could relax knowing paperwork is being signed etc.

I'm afraid I have to join in with everyone else on this rant, it's getting ever closer to the big weekend and right now with only 2 people I'm worrying like mad if this is going to even happen. I've never been to a con in my life so I don't know the full details of what goes on, but really with 4 TV shows and a web series there's gotta be someone you can grab for us, anyone would do. I know you're trying to find a really cool first time guest and that's great, but surely there's a few non-first timers who'd like to come along.

The drastic difference between this con and Eclipse 3 or The Abrams con, is that lots of tickets have been sold for this one. At those events, SM/ME were going to end up making large losses whatever happened and larger ones if they'd gotten more guests.

I'm sure it's just a scheduling thing, the strikes of the last few years have thrown production schedules out. Combine that with the fact that the networks are still deciding which shows to renew, makes it hard for an actor/actress to commit to something like this. It's much easier for an event like The Hub, or Housebroken, because all/most of the cast are UK based and can therefore commit around whatever shooting schedule they are given.

TBH ticket sales cant make that much of a difference.. cause we would have more then 2 guests right? weve sold what double what e3 and we still only have 2 guests.. so i think were intitled to worry.

TBH ticket sales cant make that much of a difference.. cause we would have more then 2 guests right? weve sold what double what e3 and we still only have 2 guests.. so i think were intitled to worry.

I'm not saying that you aren't entitled to worry, I'm saying that this event is in no way comparable to Eclipse 3 or the Abrams event. The ticket sales make a huge difference! With teh Abrams event, the one guest announced didn't help them sell enough tickets, to make the second guest viable (added to the scheduling difficulties that made it problematical.) With this event, they should be able to pay for additional guests already and are probably just trying to get the best value (i.e. biggest) guests available. Problem is, the bigger the guest, the less time they might be prepared to commit in advance.

To summarise, I don't think there is ANY risk at all that this event will not go ahead.

I dont think people are worrying so much that the event wont go ahead but the fact that were not gunna get a fuill 4 - 6 guest line up, even tho it seems with 4 shows and a film it sud be doable? i think its also the fact that a lot of was trying to push sales so that we cud sell it out so we might get the chance of hallowhedon 2, btu with 9 weeks to go and 2 guests people arent intrested :/ for the amount of money you pay..

Edited by Sazzzy

If SM give us an update as to what is going on with the guest situation then there wouldn't be a problem and everything will be ok. Everyone in this thread that is ranting is only doing it cos they want answers its really not too much to ask

Edited by Gemmaxoxo

I'm def on the boat for wanting answers i mean i'm coming all the way from the US for this and it's my first con so i'll be mightily upset if it gets screwed up but people keep mentioning Abrams and Eclipse 3. What happened? and what are they. am i missing something?

Edited by Charlie Aome

• Moderators

I think it's safe to assume that if they've not given any more updates, then they're still at negotiation stages with the rarer guests.

I don't know at what point they'll decide to give up on those and go for the more regular ones instead, but I would imagine they're pretty determined to give everyone as unique a lineup as possible. And I'd certainly prefer that.

Like you've all said, there's plenty of actors and actresses to choose from, so getting a full lineup really shouldn't be an issue in the end.

Even if they come on now and say "we're still working on it", people are still going to stay concerned so .. it's tricky, as they want to give us the best they can, but that often takes time. I agree with Chris that the ticket sales are good enough to make any comparisons with Abrams etc unwarranted.

As for simply suggesting paperwork is getting done etc, I think after the Collectormania London 'amazing guest' situation, the last thing anyone wants is hinting at the moment :D

I bought my ticket ages ago, and I still believe it'll be a great lineup in the end, but of course I understand some people being concerned.

DavidB I hope you won't mind me using your post ot make a point, but as moderating staff I'm sure you will be willing to carry the points I raise back (and perhaps have more of an ear to call SM/ME from their silence :-) )

"I think it's safe to assume" - you may well feel that personally but clearly many customers of SM/ME do not agree - SM/ME perhaps we can have the formal response?

"I don't know" - so why as moderator post at all? If we don't know then ask the question with us.

"I would imagine" - imagination, I think everyone posting here has imagination of what might happen - it seems many imagine a situation far bleaker.

"Like you've all said, there's plenty of actors and actresses to choose from, so getting a full lineup really shouldn't be an issue in the end."

Agree with this so perhaps SM/ME could formally answer their dedicated customers with an action plan for how the guest list might be concluded?

Even if they come on now and say "we're still working on it", people are still going to stay concerned so ..

- agreed like with most business transactions the proof is always in the delivery but assurance is what is being called for, SM/ME please assure us your paying customers.

"I understand some people being concerned" so in your role as Moderator perhaps you could call on SM/ME to allay those concerns?

• Moderators

The thing is that they are aware of unrest in this section already. It's nothing new.

I don't dictate when they choose to comment on the way they run their business. That's not up to me.

I respect their decisions as to when they want to give information and when they don't. They're not really under any obligation to comment on negotiations etc.

The problem with indicating an action plan is if it doesn't work, there's still going to be issues. The way these events work is that they tend to have multiple offers out there, and they wait back for them.

And yes, I may be a moderator but I'm also a customer in this case. And I'm not as worried as some people are because I know they have the contacts for so many different potential guests, and the ticket sales to fund a decent enough lineup. It just takes effort to put it all into place.

I'm def on the boat for wanting answers i mean i'm coming all the way from the US for this and it's my first con so i'll be mightily upset if it gets screwed up but people keep mentioning Abrams and Eclipse 3. What happens? and what are they. am i missing something?

Abrams Inc was an event which had an amazing guest but was then cancelled!

Eclipse 3 I believe went ahead with a very poor turnout of guests/attendees (May be wrong)

i mean i dont even care if we dont get an "amazing" guest, some smaller guests who have smaller parts in the shows wud make us happy im sure?.. or just even an input from sm to let us know whats going on!?

I would be v happy with Chris Kane :D

In fact, I've not met many smaller Buffyverse guests as only been to 1 "other" con, and when SM had some a few years ago (trio etc), I was skint and had to just take photos from afar. 1 more guest and I'll go... and my first paycheck would help lol!