John Barrowman

spanielears

right i've been reading this post since it started and i figure its my turn to say somethin.

being a student affording h3 is a pain,

but the way i see it if you have friends there u count it as a holiday with them.

the problem arises if ur a newbie or if its only ur second con and you know less than 3 ppl there, then you have a big desicison to make.

personally ---

john was/is a big reason why i started considering coming but i've decided since i don't have a ticket yet and i'm still saving up to see if anyones added then if no one else is to see if i can afford it in like sept or something.

the question is

1. do you want to hang out with people into the same thing as you?

2. can you afford it?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of us went to the first few cons on our own i know i did but your never on your own for long before finding new friends you can hang out with and attend other events with. Being a newbie doesnt last very long!

I have learned over the years there are two types of con goers those which go specifically to go see the guests and nothing else and those who go to hang out with friends and the guests are just a bonus. I guess you just need to choose which is more important.

I have to say i never thought i would go to any cons outside of buffy and was adamant about that originally. But I did end up going to other cons in the last few years and had a great time meeting up with new people,appreciating different shows etc but if you are going just to see 1 guest (ie.John) then you need to weigh it all up on whether you would be ok if he is only able to attends 1 day/cancelled, whether you want to see the other guests and if you can afford to attend at the moment as you say. John is always so busy and as with any guest you always have to appreciate work does come first so it is always risky to go primarily for just 1 guest.

If you didnt go though you'd be missing out on the idea of conventions which is not only to meet the cast from torchwood but also to meet other fans and make friends which is what its all about.

Nicky

Edited by buffy2k

A lot of us went to the first few cons on our own i know i did but your never on your own for long before finding new friends you can hang out with and attend other events with. Being a newbie doesnt last very long!

I have learned over the years there are two types of con goers those which go specifically to go see the guests and nothing else and those who go to hang out with friends and the guests are just a bonus. I guess you just need to choose which is more important.

I have to say i never thought i would go to any cons outside of buffy and was adamant about that originally. But I did end up going to other cons in the last few years and had a great time meeting up with new people,appreciating different shows etc but if you are going just to see 1 guest (ie.John) then you need to weigh it all up on whether you would be ok if he is only able to attends 1 day/cancelled, whether you want to see the other guests and if you can afford to attend at the moment as you say. John is always so busy and as with any guest you always have to appreciate work does come first so it is always risky to go primarily for just 1 guest.

If you didnt go though you'd be missing out on the idea of conventions which is not only to meet the cast from torchwood but also to meet other fans and make friends which is what its all about.

Nicky

exactly

I've worked for a convention before....one thing you can never count on is a guest's appearance set in stone. If work comes up for them, its usually in their contracts they can cancel (and its happens quite often...even though it sucks...we lost Sean Astin a couple of years ago due to a last minute film offer). Never base your attendance at a convention off 1 or 2 guests being there in case they may cancel. But the best thing about conventions is not the guests (although they are a huge plus)...its meeting new people with the same interests as you and making new friends.

I've worked for a convention before....one thing you can never count on is a guest's appearance set in stone. If work comes up for them, its usually in their contracts they can cancel (and its happens quite often...even though it sucks...we lost Sean Astin a couple of years ago due to a last minute film offer). Never base your attendance at a convention off 1 or 2 guests being there in case they may cancel. But the best thing about conventions is not the guests (although they are a huge plus)...its meeting new people with the same interests as you and making new friends.

Exactly!

right i've been reading this post since it started and i figure its my turn to say somethin.

but the way i see it if you have friends there u count it as a holiday with them.

the problem arises if ur a newbie or if its only ur second con and you know less than 3 ppl there, then you have a big desicison to make.

personally ---

john was/is a big reason why i started considering coming but i've decided since i don't have a ticket yet and i'm still saving up to see if anyones added then if no one else is to see if i can afford it in like sept or something.

the question is

2. can you afford it?

Hi Midnight,. By the time you have registered and stood in queues for Photos and Autographs you wont feel like a newbie, because everyone talks to each other while you are waiting for your turn to come around. I would go to Hub3 with the mind set that you are going to have as much fun as possible, wait until they announce the themes for the Parties that will keep you busy as thats were you really get to know everyone. Just go and have as much fun as possible. Julie-t :D

personally ---

the question is

2. can you afford it?

You didn't happen to go by Midnight in the Tribe fandom, did you?

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of John and I certainly didn't buy my ticket because of him.

I bought it because it's a chance to meet up with my friends and meet new people and the atmosphere of being somewhere where there are so many more fans around than there usually would be.

I'm hoping I meet John so that it will improve my opinion of him and not do the opposite like with Gareth but I don't think I'll be that fussed if I don't.

My only problem is the fail that is the people that do another convention that I want to go to but I'm not allowed to say on these boards, have put it on the same weekend D<

Edited by Never

I've worked for a convention before....one thing you can never count on is a guest's appearance set in stone. If work comes up for them, its usually in their contracts they can cancel

You also have to remember that it's not always work they cancel for, and it's not always before the event - my very first con was a Buffy one (many moons ago!) that Alexis Denisof was supposed to attend for the whole weekend but he ended up having to fly home a day early for personal reasons, and that only came up halfway through the second day.

I've worked for a convention before....one thing you can never count on is a guest's appearance set in stone. If work comes up for them, its usually in their contracts they can cancel

You also have to remember that it's not always work they cancel for, and it's not always before the event - my very first con was a Buffy one (many moons ago!) that Alexis Denisof was supposed to attend for the whole weekend but he ended up having to fly home a day early for personal reasons, and that only came up halfway through the second day.

Yep, I've seen that happen too.....

After seeing JB in concert on Sunday I've bought myself a ticket to see him in La Cage. I've always wanted to see it, but could never justify the cost of a ticket before - now I can!

I hope he still manages to make it to the Hub 3, but I'm not going to be disappointed if it's only for 1 day - after all, 1 day is better than none! Just have to keep fingers crossed that he can still come for at least part of it.

just to add to this convo, cause i would mainly be going cause of john, i know its daft, but i really do want to meet him and missed out the other times due to not being here....

so im a little worried he may pull out and to add to my worry - the hub isnt mentioned at all on his official website under appearances - it mentions everything else but, and the schedule goes up to january next yr.

just thought id give that a mention.

just to add to this convo, cause i would mainly be going cause of john, i know its daft, but i really do want to meet him and missed out the other times due to not being here....

so im a little worried he may pull out and to add to my worry - the hub isnt mentioned at all on his official website under appearances - it mentions everything else but, and the schedule goes up to january next yr.

just thought id give that a mention.

The official line from the mods on his yahoo group is that he is hoping to go but he is still finalising his schedule. I don't think you can read too much either way into that and it'll just be a case of waiting to see what they come back with. (They get their info straight from his manager so I think you can trust that what they say is pretty accurate).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Sunday but if he's not there I'm just going to go and have a brilliant time and enjoy the experience of my first convention!

Well, I'm off to a gig on Monday and the preview 2 weeks after that, I can try and ask about it, thinking back he seemed cagey when I said see him at Hub 3....

He isn't stage dooring at any of the concerts (the best you'll get is a wave from the car) and the BFI Preview wouldn't really be an appropriate place to ask that question.

Plus he's got another 4 concerts, a US event and concerts at Henley, Arundel, Jersey and Isle of Man as well as the Judy Garland tribute to do before he even starts to think about La Cage and the Hub.

The moderators of his official site have said on numerous occasions that John's La Cage schedule is still being finalised and that he is hoping to attend the Hub and that they will let people know final dates when known. I would find it incredibly unlikely that the show would release him for 3 performances in a row to do The Hub so I think you just have to hope that he will be able to attend on the Sunday although I would think that you're not going to know until much nearer the time. I can understand people's desire for him to come, obviously I'm a huge fan and would love to see him there but no point fretting about it until some sort of official announcement is made which isn't likely to be for a while.

the BFI Preview wouldn't really be an appropriate place to ask that question.

As the theme of both the BFI event and Hub 3 is Torchwood, I can't see the harm in asking if the opportunity comes up. JB can be very clever at deflecting inappropriate questions. He won't answer if he doesn't want to. And besides, he and the BBC should be flattered that fans of the show care enough to ask, IMO.

the BFI Preview wouldn't really be an appropriate place to ask that question.

As the theme of both the BFI event and Hub 3 is Torchwood, I can't see the harm in asking if the opportunity comes up. JB can be very clever at deflecting inappropriate questions. He won't answer if he doesn't want to. And besides, he and the BBC should be flattered that fans of the show care enough to ask, IMO.

Based on my experiences of seeing others ask questions of that nature he is unlikely to be able to say more than I don't know at this point - it won't be at the forefront of his mind given everything else he has on (and I have seen both him and Gavin respond quite tersely to questions of this kind when thrown at them out of context - and I would have thought they would want to focus on the new series at BFI not a convention).

Why don't we all just wait for Massive Events to make an announcement at the appropriate time.

• Moderators

I would certainly suggest just waiting and letting ME do the organising with John, instead of people hassling John about it.

I don't quite understand the mentality of approaching guests, or potential guests, and asking them about events when we already have a perfectly capable organiser on the case :angry:

I have seen both him and Gavin respond quite tersely to questions of this kind when thrown at them out of context

Exactly: as I said JB is very good at deflecting questions he doesn't want to, or cannot, answer. But someone WILL probably try it on. It's human nature. Unless questions for the panel have to be submitted and vetted in advance...?