Farewell to the Shopping Centre !

40 Something Gamer

Sometimes the guests need a bit of a promt then you can get loads out of them, have to say i have met charisma a few times and at mk when you did and she was really sweet, sometimes i talk utter crap to them but i always gets quite a bit back, when it comes to buffy/angel i am afraid i can go on forever, sorry to whoever gets behind me in a q.

I know though sometimes when you meet the guests you think of loads to say then when it comes to it, totally goes out the window and you get tongue tied.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes the guests need a bit of a promt then you can get loads out of them,

Yeah sometimes they rely on you to keep the coversation going or started in some cases to help perk them up and motivate them. Sometimes they can be like getting blood from a stone though no matter how enthused and interesting you try to sound. ie Alan Cumming and Peter Weller.

Edited by nicky

So when was it posted that Mk was moving to the stadium. So when is all this supposed to happen, and WHERE is the stadium.

Please someone tell me whats going on.

I dont think that SM has made a gr8 choice moving it. They would do so much better in there with the people coming passed shopping.

Oh well lets hope that they get better celebs and more A lister like ORLANDO BLOOM.

I wonder what the prices would be like to get in there then, lets hope its not TOO expensive. :lol::chair:

I have lived in MK for years and worked in the centre for a good share of them. One day after an early finish I took my usual amble home through the centre as I didn't live far, when .........wow....whats going on here....celebrities :headscratch: ....AWESOME!!!!

Ended up getting home later than anticipated after walking around C1 and loved it. Made a point of by passing the next couple before inviting a friend along and taking time off work. Now years down the line we have made many friends, enjoyed many shows and consider ourselves fans of the SM team and their work.

Thanks to all.

I am very much looking forward to the move, a bigger venue, more opportunity. Not a great deal of distance for a move, Bletchley train station just as close as MK is to the centre and bus stops a plenty.

Ikea across the road for a spot of lunch, lol.

For those who want the details of where it is and how far it is from the centre, follow this link.....

http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/sta...,,10420,00.html

Edited by nosybird

So when was it posted that Mk was moving to the stadium.

About six weeks ago.

So when is all this supposed to happen, and WHERE is the stadium.

Please someone tell me whats going on.

I dont think that SM has made a gr8 choice moving it. They would do so much better in there with the people coming passed shopping.

I would suggest reading

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....t&p=1236182

and

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....t&p=1234831

and also for a lot more detail, this thread:

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....showtopic=42916

At which point you will see that it was not a "choice" as such - they were pretty much told they had to leave the Centre; they have already lost the wings, there are firm plans to extend the shops forward into Middleton Hall, and basically the Centre told them that they couldn't have CM there anymore. The only choice they had was whether to find a new venue or knock the event on the head altogether...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm actually glad it's moving from the shopping centre. As I travel from outside MK I could never find a parking space that didn't cost me nearly £10 for the time we were there, apparently the parking is completely free at the stadium.

Plus it should mean that the isles in between the stalls will be bigger so we won't have to worry about getting rammed by a buggy or tripping over someones 3 year old who's decided to take apart some of the collectables. :lol: (saw this a couple of times at the last CM).

I can only imagin what surprise people get when they went shoping there not knowing it was on to find all these stars and people queueing to meet them. Fore me the 1st one I attended was CM11 I was leafing through some latest computer mag when I saw an advert for it and Avery Brooks was apearing, well that was it I just had to go and meet him.

Been to 12 and 13 since but had to mis 14 due to moving from london to norfolk so not as easy to reach MK now, but hopefully come 15 ill be all cashd up and ready to meet more tv/film peeps, so many id love to get from all Star trek series, Firefly, Red Dwarf..... man I could spend thousands alone on autographs then theres all the great merchandice to suck me dry.

I love these events and cant express how great it is that all those who work for Showmasters put on such a great event, and ofcourse all the stars for sparing there time to meet the public

Claws

• 4 weeks later...

I came across Collectormania in Spirit & Destiny mag of all places. They had an ad in there mid way through the mag. I hopped on the site and saw that James Marsters was going to be there and decided there and then that i was going.... period! I roped my fiances mum into going as well and we had a blast. We missed James on the Sunday, so on the monday we were 1 of the crazy 1s queueing at 3 am to meet him. It was well worth the freezing cold and lack of sleep though. He was a diamond. He told us we were crazy for standing in those temperatures for that long just to meet him lol. Of course we met him last time he was there, and he remembered me which was the best! It was smiles and hugs all round from him when we had pics done with him.

We also enjoyed meeting Michael shanks, Chris Judge, Kevin Sorbo who gave me a bear hug lol, Kate Mulgrew who cooed over my son who was 3 mths at the time, John Barrowman, Kai Owen and Eve Myles, and of course Paul McGillion to name a few.

I'm really hoping to go in June, but with my wedding only 2 months later its going to be a squeeze for funds. Really want to meet Amanda, then all i have to do is get Richard Dean Anderson to complete my SG-1 autos. (good luck with that, yeeah i know lol)

I stumbled upon C1 when i was shopping with my Mum, and she went into Next, while i had a look around XD

My first autograph was Christian Coulson at C3, and my Mum paid for that, as i was only 12 XD She refused to pay for any more for me, but i still enjoyed going to the shows, every one of them!

I was finally able to afford some autos at C8 after saving for ages lol And it wasnt until C12 that i really brought quite alot, as i had a job, and was able to afford them myself more easily.

Im gonna miss CM being at the shopping center, as there is so much to do if you have had enough of wandering around the stalls, or if you want to go somewhere for lunch, there is a bigger choice, but im also looking forward to it being at the stadium, as its gonna be quite different, and im looking forward to the awesome guests thats SM are hoping to get for us!

Im glad CM is leaving the shopping centre. It was TOO packed, with shoppers and showgoers. The free parking gets my vote!! I got stiffed with a £30 ticket at one show. Fair enough, I was an hour over (id genuinely got my times mixed up).

If it ups the calibre of the guests as well, bring it on!!

The Centre was the place of my first show. 2006 was it? Solely for Rob Englund!!! And then next month, Amanda Wyss and Heather Langenkamp at Autographica. Harvey Stephens as well, was it? Ive been loads of times since.

So, itll be a change, but for me, a bloody good change!!!

Personally, im glad its leaving the shopping centre but on the other hand i'll miss it because it was like the first CM i went to was there (CM4 to be precise) and even though i didnt get any autos the atmosphere was brilliant, but the shoppers etc. got abit annoying after a while so i guess its good that its moving to a venue that wont be as chaotic :)

First event was CM2 and I havnt looked back since!

Been to every MK show since and loved every one (hotel fire alarms not included). Gonna miss being able to easily grab some affordable food or run to the top of john lewis when I arrive and just soak in the show, but im sure the stadium will be just as good.

Long live Collectormania MK! Wherever it may be!

Dont even get me started on the fire alarms....lol.

My first collectormania was number 8 and my first autograph was chris barrie. Ive only been to number 8, 9 and 14. I will miss wandering round the hall but im looking forward to june :D.

• 1 month later...

I had attended other events and some of the friends i had made told me about collectamania, they said they were going so i thought why not. that was C6 I decided to crew and was excepted and i loved every second of it, even crawling into bed at 4 in the morning when the crew call was 7.45, lol. the highlight of that weekend for me was on the sunday afternon, going to get auto's from James and Oliver Phelps (weasley twins) wearing a tshirt that read "Professor Snape is a sexy B*tch" and watching the smiles on their faces. actually that may be a lie i think the highlight was head banging with the twins the night before to RATM. they remembered that too.

i worked C7, LFCC and C8 unfortunately due to family and other things i havent attended any events since, i am planning on rectifying it and coming to C15. i have to say that i am a little upset that we wont be in the shopping centre as doing crew duty for william shattner with mineke and having confused members of the public coming up and asking us what was going on and us inventing loads of silly things that we could tell them (please note could but didnt we stuck to the truth honest ;) ) was one of the funniest afternoons i have ever spent.

It had such a good atmosphere at the centre but i do agree that it was a bit of a shock for some of the guest to end being sat right near where people were shopping.

Bye bye shopping centre your conveinient milleys cookies and costa will be missed.

becky XXx

• 2 weeks later...

Plus it should mean that the isles in between the stalls will be bigger so we won't have to worry about getting rammed by a buggy or tripping over someones 3 year old who's decided to take apart some of the collectables. :P (saw this a couple of times at the last CM).

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone mentioned buggies and three year olds! My disabled son really enjoys these events despite being disabled and unable to walk very far.

What is disappointing is that we will no longer be able to pop into Costa or Starbucks for a coffee while we are waiting for our numbers to come up, instead it will be either very expensive restaurants and coffee rooms (like the Hilton Metropole) or warmed up sausage rolls and pasties (NEC or Ricoh).

What is good is that seeing as there is now an entrance fee, most people that normally go to the Milton Keynes event won't bother, and just like the Ricoh and Hilton Metropole events, it won't take half an hour to get from one side of the hall to the other (especially whilst pushing a buggy). Judging by the other events, it looks like the only reason why Milton Keynes was packed was because it was free.

I guess the reason why the managers of the shopping centre came to the decision to stop the Collectormania event was based on those surveys they did at the last one. When we were questioned, we told them we spent a lot of money in the regular shops, restaurants etc, but I suppose other people didn't.

• Moderators

It was down to safety issues due to busyness with the 'bigger' guests, hence why they didn't get a lot of huge ones at the last event. They simply couldn't.

And the event is still free to get into.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry i haven't read all the posts so if i'm repeating whats all ready been said....sorry!

Personally I've always enjoyed it being at the shopping centre, I haven't been to the last few !I've been away at university and all sorts so have lost my bearings.

I remember how I used to go really early in the morning when it was quiet and then go for coffee at john lewis. What was so great was when you needed a break you could go off shopping and come back.

Also MK has always had a nice atmosphere, I remember those days of trying to peer at the celebraties through the plants!

good times x

What is disappointing is that we will no longer be able to pop into Costa or Starbucks for a coffee while we are waiting for our numbers to come up

Agreed - I'll also miss the John Lewis cafe. And I definitely *did* spend a lot in the surrounding shops - or to be more accurate my wife did :)

What is disappointing is that we will no longer be able to pop into Costa or Starbucks for a coffee while we are waiting for our numbers to come up

Agreed - I'll also miss the John Lewis cafe. And I definitely *did* spend a lot in the surrounding shops - or to be more accurate my wife did :)

In addition to this, all of those shops/cafes will lose the extra trade they make during the events, right during a time when they need the trade the most! Additionally they are probably having to pay vast sums of money to rent those plots in the MK Centre, and the Centre Management have based their decision on a silly little survey by asking a few people how much money they've spent. If I rented one of those units to run a retail business I would not be happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Im not sure if this has been said-But Ikea is right next to it as well as Asda and just walking distance about 15mins is the town centre of bletchley....

It is shame that its on at MK but o welllsss..

Im not sure if this has been said-But Ikea is right next to it as well as Asda and just walking distance about 15mins is the town centre of bletchley....

It is shame that its on at MK but o welllsss..

I'm loving that IKEA is right nextdoor! IKEA restaurant for lunch!

This is probably going to sound pretty stupid... but does anybody know where I can find a menu for the Ikea restaurant? I tried Google, but no success there.

I like to eat at the German counterpart, but I am assuming the UK menu might be a bit different.