A List Guests - Are you prepared to pay more for the right ones?

MikeDonovan

216 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay the money for the right guests?

• I'd pay up to £100 (or more) for a REALLY big guest (i.e. Ford)
    • I'd pay up to £50 for bigger guests, if that's what it took
    • £25 is the limit for me
    • It's already too dear!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£100 would be stretching it but if Harrison Ford turned up I think I pay up.

Photo-shoot is a must too.

You mean the £100 must include the photoshoot? Or would you pay another large amount seperatly to have one or a talk?

I'd hate to be asked for £100 for an auto then £20+ for a photoshoot, then £20+ for a talk.

The thing is, if some are prepared to pay it, then they will charge it, and as with petrol prices they go up but dont come down.

Once it was £15, you got a sig, a chat, a photo, job done. Now its £20 for a sig and a chat and £ 15 for a photo, (Some people wont let you take pics if they are doing a shoot). I can see where its all going because Ive just come back from Another Event where most were charging $30 for a sig and $20 for a picture, not a photoshoot, but a leaning over the desk shot. The most expensive there was Adam West $50 and Edward James Olmos $60, both charged an addition $20 for photo's, it was more if you went to the official photo shoot.

As a one off, to get a rare big sig, perhaps I would pay a bit extra but I would have to think hard for charges about £100 and I would bare in mind that once you start paying that, others may see itas a sign to put their fees up as well.

Petrol prices, like any other goods, do go up and down depending on a lot of factors - one of the most important (but far from the only one) being supply and demand.

Looking at this sort of event from this point of view, if Harrison Ford were ever to do an event like this, realistically he will know that he could charge pretty much whatever he felt like. Let's say £100. He would take insane amounts of money - the chances are everyone would have the maximum number of items - picture the queues for Christopher Lloyd multiplied by 1000.

But that doesn't mean that Michael Dorn can suddenly charge £100. He has pretty short queues at £20 - Upping his price is not going to suddenly create demand. In fact demand will drop.

What this does mean is that guests who were previously out of the conceivable reach of SM (because they would charge too much for their appearance to make it economically viable) will suddenly become realistic. Some time ago SM announced Christopher Lee, at a price of £45. He dropped out pretty quickly due to illness if I remember rightly, but the point is that if they didn't charge £45 they wouldn't have been able to get him - it's that simple.

So my point is, if charging £100 is what it takes to get Harrison Ford, for example, then I'm willing to pay it. I wouldn't pay it for Alfred Molina of course - but then Alfred Molina couldn't charge £100 - no-one would pay it.

As for the dollar prices you quote, don't forget to take into account the exchange rate.

The thing is, if some are prepared to pay it, then they will charge it, and as with petrol prices they go up but dont come down.

Once it was £15, you got a sig, a chat, a photo, job done. Now its £20 for a sig and a chat and £ 15 for a photo, (Some people wont let you take pics if they are doing a shoot). I can see where its all going because Ive just come back from Another Event where most were charging $30 for a sig and $20 for a picture, not a photoshoot, but a leaning over the desk shot. The most expensive there was Adam West $50 and Edward James Olmos $60, both charged an addition $20 for photo's, it was more if you went to the official photo shoot.

As a one off, to get a rare big sig, perhaps I would pay a bit extra but I would have to think hard for charges about £100 and I would bare in mind that once you start paying that, others may see itas a sign to put their fees up as well.

Jeez Olmos was a lot cheaper at the last event he went to O_o

Must say I can't believe they charge over here for over the desk pictures, we're quite lucky with showmasters :)

I would probably be willing to pay maybe a maximum of 50 quid.

But considering Christopher Lloyd and Bruce Campbell were nowhere near that much I'd have to spend a while considering if I'd want to spend that much :)

Edited by Catmoo

I'd happily pay more than £100 for a rare signer. In some cases, I've spent way more than that on the likes of Tony Curtis and Christopher Lloyd, because I paid for loads of different items to be signed.

I think if by paying £100 for someone you would never get to meet any other way, then I think its money well spent.

veritas, you're not allowed to mention other cons on here... and it doesn't help 2 people have quoted it either lol :YAHOO:

I put £50 as my limit, but it'd have to be someone big big. Considering I'm a big Trekker and £25 was a stretch for Stweart and Shatner, I'm talking big for me :poki: But I think Bakula charges that much, or more... so I'd hate to hate to pay that for him... but only to complete my collection. I spose same for Jeri Ryan- but both would need to be 2 for single and group... but tis still too much- esp if £50 each!

I spose the same for SMG... Boreanez etc....

hopefully at the new venue there will be enough room to have the signings well away from the gawpers and that we could maybe purchase numbered tickets in advance to avoid having to get to the venue at the crack of dawn and then queue for ages.

There number of "gawpers" will be heavily reduced thanks to the fact it's not in the MK Centre and a little bit of a way out.

Too Tall already shot down that idea about buying entry tickets before the con - I think he said it wouldnt work cos some attendees might not turn up in the end or something and that it's unfair on those who dont know about the websites.

Hmmmm. SM manage to sell photoshoot tickets in advance...

I wouldn't be prepared to queue at the venue before doors open, AND queue for an autograph, AND hand over £100! I'd do it for £20-25, but for big money I'd expect a little pampering. Perhaps they should stick to the Golden Ticket idea, or some sort of premium package.

The problem is that many of the autographs are already over-priced. Generally, £15 for someone who did not have a speaking role in a film or TV series is too much.

Similarly, this amount of money is silly for someone who might have had one big role in their career.

The interaction is important - there is now too much "sausage factory" about the whole thing - you put your item down, get it signed and move on. Often the people signing are not at all engaged with the paying public.

Showmasters, and now the other convention organisers, fail to take into account people who might want multiple signatures off certain guests - there is a blanket charge per signature, which often means that people dont even bother to get one. I would rather pay a larger amount to get a number of items signed rather than £15 to get one item signed.

I think, for money liek 50 - 100 range Then i think itd be a good idea to sell Q tickets in the shop before hand, that way people who are willing to pay but CANT be there to Q for hours on an end just to get a chance to would have a fair shot.

But then for people who cant pay on the shop still have tickets avalble at the show

or maybe thats just what i think?

Hi,

I agree that it would be great to get more A-listers to Collectormania BUT it does concern me that by charging £100 a signature for certain guests you are actually putting a lot of the Showmasters audience out of the opportunity to meet their guests. The reason I say this is that if you have A-listers who have not attended Collectormania before charging £100 surely the likes of other fellow A-listers who up until this point charged around £25 will also think twice and put their signatures up too. Afterall why should they be shortchanged for being nice enough to attend events previously at a lower price. They will also increase their price too, afterall why should their price be closer to the lesser celebs prices rather than the stars they actually are. I don't mean this disrespectfully but why should some one like Patrick Stewart etc have their time priced similarly to a guy who was a doctor who monster in 1977 rather than a fellow current star whose decided they can spare their time for £100 quid a pop. It just wouldn't work out well for the fans on a tighter budget. The other thing is it's all relative as to what we consider A-list, it comes down to how much your a fan. Even the big american cons don't charge £100 quid for the big stars so why should we pay more? If we offer it than that's what will be charged!

Don't get me wrong I would consider paying for autos, talks AND photos depending on who the guest was and how much I wanted to add them to my collection! A star could actually earn some easy money by doing talks and a panel and perhaps promoting their new film. I would gladly pay for a Q&A talk and the same with the photoshoots. I like getting an auto but for me it's the interaction with the guest that I enjoy the most and I think if you have the £100 sigs it will be more factory line, scary minders and less time for real fans.

Please think carefully before agreeing to pay £100 for autos, otherwise it's only a matter of time before you see other good quality guests commanding £75.00, £60.00, £50.00 etc for an autograph.

Honestly I am positive really! I think the new venue is a great idea and your first guest is a good choice - I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers

;)

I had noticed during my time going to CM events that prices of some stars have gone up.

I have said upto £50. I have only payed more than that on one occasion and that was for Buzz Aldrin. Now look at what he has achieved. He's walked on the moon.

I would be happy to pay more money for a bigger A list star depending on who it is and would they actually look at you i.e. Carrie Fisher says hello and how are you. Would the likes of Ford, Fox, Jackson

I think security will obviously be a big issue for A list stars which will probably mean they'll be surrounded by gorillas all the time making sure you dont get too close and pushing you on after your 5 secs are up. It could get very physical and nasty as it often does with over-zealous minders.

Not only that but I think there is the stalker issue as seen at LFCC 05 with Val Kilmer who refused to come out to his desk to sign cos a known stalker had learned of the con and freaked him out by trying to get into his room or whatever earlier on in the day. Even Burt Reynolds was confronted by some French dude who wouldnt stop blubbing although he handled it well I heard. I'd worry about some others guests not being able to do the same - anyone see the pics of the "super-fans" that got to meet Catherine Zeta-Jones at the premiere of The Legend of Zorro? :D

Basically, A' list stars means the nut-jobs will follow (and heavy-handed gorillas) and probably ruin it for everyone else cos the nut-jobs will freak out the guests - the guests will be scared to meet anymore fans at the con like Val Kilmer. It only takes one weirdo to ruin it for everyone.

Also there's the tradional "actor's strop" or diva-like list of demands and behavior making everyone wait unecessarily or some other ego-tistical s***. A' list guests are a huge liabilty, I hope SM are ready for what comes with them.:blush:

Edited by nicky

Stars don't have to be "A" listers to have stalkers and nut-jobs following them around. Most famous people have over-enthusiastic "fans". And that's where the pre-ordered "premium" tickets would come in useful (names/addresses) - unless they were so devious that they gave a friend's details.

Security is ALWAYS an issue at these events; didn't someone try to pinch James Marsters' bum at CM14? :blush:

Most famous people have over-enthusiastic "fans". And that's where the pre-ordered "premium" tickets would come in useful (names/addresses) - unless they were so devious that they gave a friend's details.

I dont understand how that helps. Like you said anyone can just write fake details and it's not like every nut-job is registered as being one in a nut-job directory or something.

Pre-ordered queue tickets also dont work cos it creates a black market of people selling them on to other people, like ticket-touts at gigs selling super-expensive tickets cos they managed to get a low number. It's just simpler anyway I think to just queue like everyone else, if people cant be arsed to wake up early then they obviously dont wanna go that badly and are just being spoilt brats.

Here's Too Tall's view on the idea (post no. 6):

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....t&p=1210939

Edited by nicky

Security is ALWAYS an issue at these events; didn't someone try to pinch James Marsters' bum at CM14? :yoda:

At least he didn't have something 'cupped' like poor Helen Slater :YAHOO:

I agree with Nicky though - if you've got Harrison Ford and you're selling tickets you'll just open up a new black market for re-selling. First come first serve seems like the fairest way.