Early Bird Vs Standard entry at LFCC 2008

nicky

Will you go for Early Bird or Standard entry at LCFF 2008?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Will you go for Early Bird or Standard entry at LCFF 2008?

• Early bird
    • Standard entry
    • I'm crewing/working at the con anyway.
    • Not attending LFCC 2008

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

Well in that case as a pre booked early bird can I join the shortest queue? If I can be near the front of the pay on day crowd I can just flash my ticket and get in quicker :D

The only problem is, the shorter queue may also be the slower queue!

If the in-advance queue is longer it will still move much quicker as all you have to do is hand your ticket to the crew member as you walk through the barrier. The pay on day queue has to go up the to box office, work out how much it is, fumble about for money, fumble about with change, pick up ticket, then walk to the barrier and go in!

There is also an issue with crowd control. When people come in as a couple of organised queues it is much easier and safer getting through the barriers and into the hall compared with people splitting off from different queues and heading in different directions then all trying to push through the barriers at the same time. Not the kind of mosh pit I would want to be in!

Andrea

The pay on day queue has to work out how much it is, fumble about for money, fumble about with change

Man, I hate it when people do that in a queue - why cant they do all that before they get to the front of the queue??!!

This thread is making it easier for me to decide not to go. I'm probably not even going to get into London until 10am (so will probably miss out on everything I want) and I've just got flashbacks of the queue jumpers from last year. =(

Early bird for me. I usually buy a ticket in advance, but I have just discovered that some swine (and I'm being polite!) has hacked into the bank account I use for buying stuff from the net, and stolen my money. :lol: Have to wait 10 days to get a new account set up, so it will be too late for me to order one in advance!

Edited by Flibble

This thread is making it easier for me to decide not to go. I'm probably not even going to get into London until 10am (so will probably miss out on everything I want) and I've just got flashbacks of the queue jumpers from last year. =(

I'm not sure if i've helped you or not by starting this thread but I'm in a similar position - I wont arrive in London at the con till about 10am Saturday also but I still have a good idea at least of how busy it'll be and will be better prepared. At least I know it's best to go for Early Bird for the Sunday now.

Its interesting to see these results as before I had no idea that Early Bird was as popular as it is.

Edited by nicky

I'm not sure if i've helped you or not by starting this thread but I'm in a similar position - I wont arrive in London at the con till about 10am Saturday also but I still have a good idea at least of how busy it'll be and will be better prepared. At least I know it's best to go for Early Bird for the Sunday now.

Its interesting to see these results as before I had no idea that Early Bird was as popular as it is.

Tut-tut Nicky - you really should have picked up on the "one letter difference" going on in this person's username ;)

• Showmasters Admin

If you are willing to stay until the end of the day in theory it doesn't make "that" much difference.

The difference it makes is with...

A: Guests that may be MEGA busy and therefore the 2000+ early-bird people may take 1200+ VT for them and you "may" not get to see them. But we've only had around 10 guests (out of over 300) in the history of the SM shows that haven't finished on an open queue. At this show Patrick Stewart maybe one.

B: If a talk is very popular, there is a finite number of tickets and so again the 2000+ early-birds may take all the tickets.

The main advantage of the early-bird ticket is that peace of mind. By 9:30am you're in and have all your VTs. Some of which you're going to get to see in the morning. If you come in on normal entry, and a guest you want is on VTs you're unlikely to see them before lunch time. If you only have 4 or 5 autographs to get this is fine. But if you want 8+ VTed guests and want to see some talks or be in a couple of photo shoots too, you may find you're pushing it for time to get it all done in one day.

In reality I don't think there will be a repeat of last years hysteria. They had four of the stars of what was at that point the biggest cult show on television (at that point in time not historically) which was then at the height of its popularity.

This time round I can see there are guests who are going to be very popular and busy but I don't think they are the kind who are going to incite riots (though I would like to see John Hurt incite a riot with his brown voice!) I reckon anyone who is able to stick round till the end of each day won't go home empty handed. (especially if they join the buy on the day ticket queue and the person in front is having a really good rummage in their pockets for 'loose change'.)

• Showmasters Admin

I agree with Count. I think this year will be busy, there is a great line up, but it will not en sight the madness for the Sunday of last year.

Last year we had a lot of overly excited newbies. I'm not blaming what happened on them as I saw a number of regulars running and going mad as well. But it only takes a couple of people to start running and it starts everyone running. Then we had the issue of the rugby scrum in front of the guests queues because a lot of people didn't want to stand in the queue they wanted to just walk down the fronts of the queues and push in.

Even if we do get the number of people we did last year, we have learnt from it and have come up with a number of measures that will be put in place to help relieve the issue should it happen again this time.

we have learnt from it and have come up with a number of measures that will be put in place to help relieve the issue should it happen again this time.

Remote sentry guns? Electric fences? Snipers? Electric-shock implants? How about them "intestinators" from the movie Fortress (1993)?

Edited by nicky

......... But it only takes a couple of people to start running and it starts everyone running. Then we had the issue of the rugby scrum in front of the guests queues because a lot of people didn't want to stand in the queue they wanted to just walk down the fronts of the queues and push in......

Woohoo....I'm looking forward to this more and more now..... :huh:

........ But it only takes a couple of people to start running and it starts everyone running.

You should build an assualt course a la "The Krypton Factor" - get a few chairs and tables etc.

Edited by nicky

• Showmasters Admin

......... But it only takes a couple of people to start running and it starts everyone running. Then we had the issue of the rugby scrum in front of the guests queues because a lot of people didn't want to stand in the queue they wanted to just walk down the fronts of the queues and push in......

Woohoo....I'm looking forward to this more and more now..... ;)

Trust me it's not usually that bad. It's the only event were it's been that insane and it was because people were impatient and started pushing and trying to run past people in front of them. It's usually not like that. The Heroes guests had some really avid fans there.

I won't deny there is a rush for tickets in the morning when everyone gets in, but once that's over (usually less than 15 minutes) it goes back to normal. And as I say we have looked at this and do have things we are going to do to stop it getting out of hand again.

Nicky - We're not allowed to harm the attendees......unfortunately :huh:

........ But it only takes a couple of people to start running and it starts everyone running.

You should build an assualt course a la "The Krypton Factor" - get a few chairs and tables etc.

A slalom could be good.

And I'm liking treacle swamp idea :D

I'm not blaming what happened on them as I saw a number of regulars running and going mad as well. But it only takes a couple of people to start running and it starts everyone running.

Yes, I did run too.

After three people almost ran me over on the frakking escalator (and I am so not an easy person to trample over) I decided it was better for my safety to run as well. :unsure:

But seeing we are back in the old venue now this really is nothing more than bad memories now.