Early Bird Vs Standard entry at LFCC 2008

nicky

Will you go for Early Bird or Standard entry at LCFF 2008?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Will you go for Early Bird or Standard entry at LCFF 2008?

• Early bird
    • Standard entry
    • I'm crewing/working at the con anyway.
    • Not attending LFCC 2008

I've never bought an Early Bird entry ticket before and was wondering how popular they are and how many people go in that early. Just looking for an idea on how busy I can expect it to be when standard entry starts. Heaving, I imagine. :angel:

People buy Early Bird basically to beat the masses...but the thing is the masses have that same idea and buy Early Bird entry too anyway. Having said that, does Early Bird really make that much difference? I dunno cos I've never bought one but I always hear how packed out the place is from the start. Maybe Early Bird tickets should be limited to the first 200 people or something?

Edited by showmasters

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an early-bird ticket last year. I'm almost certain the other que went in the same time, it was confusing trying to find out if you were in the right one. The year before that I was in the wrong que and didn't find out until I was at the door. This year I will have a gold pass.

WE have always bought early bird tickets and you need them if there is someone you really want to see. However at LFCC people start queueing very early so even though you have a ticket you may be far back in the queue.

The bigger question is whether or not to buy one in advance or buy it on the day. The queue to buy on the day was much shorter than the queue for those who already had tickets so its debabable who gets in quickest!!

I certainly wouldn't get a standard ticket if you really have a popular guest in mind that you want to see. Put it this way, you won't get to see Patrick or John Hurt with a standard entry

Edited by puddlejumpers

I need to prioritize funds and as I'm going on 2 days its a case of two days at £20 or two days at £10, two days at £10 effectively gets me 1 (with some prices) more autograph for my budget. I also only buy on the door at the Manchester event which is where I live, anywhere else such as this event, I book everything in advance just for peace of mind. There is normally a queue whatever time you go at and with whatever ticket arrangement, and I know it's likely I'll have to queue longer than buying on the door, and unlikely that the event will sell out, but when you're paying for a hotel room and travel down to London it's best to be extra sure.

I've never had a problem before though with missing anyone through arriving an hour or two later than the opening time, and so I'm optimistic about still getting to see Patrick and John. With what I've heard about Patrick especially, it seems likely that with the demand it will be a rather swift signing so more available queue spaces.

I don't think "only" 200 people rattling around the hall for the first couple of hours is what SM are looking for, and plenty of people actually get early bird to pick up the pick of the dealer bargains or because travel plans get them there before they can check into accommodation.

I have bought an advance early bird this time.

Yeah,the last time i waited to get a ticket on the day,and stood in the wrong line for an hour !!!!

There were signs up,but some people were in front of them.

I still got my Auto and a photo shoot with Hayden,but i really was worried that i was going to miss out.

There are normally a couple of queues, one for people who pre-bought an early bird ticket and one for people who are buying an early bird ticket on the door. Normaly, when the doors open, both queues go in together, although obviously the people who have to buy a ticket on the door, go in slower. Limiting the Early Birds to 200 would be pointless, because it would just seperate 200 from everyone else, in a similar way that the Gold Passes do. Would mean that everyone else would still form a huge queue from early on.

As for how busy the queues will be, it will depend on the guests. Because of teh Heroes guests, people queued up from 6 am and by the time 9 am came, there must have been several thousand people in the queue.

Last year i didnt have a ticket in advance but my friend did. We were both in seperate queues but i got in first, brought my ticket and already had some virtual tickets before she got in.

I normally get early bird tickets, but i dont pre-order them.

Put it this way, you won't get to see Patrick or John Hurt with a standard entry

Hmm, I can only arrive on Saturday for a standard entry anyway (at about 11am) and I do wanna meet John Hurt. I guess we'll see but I dont anticipate him being as busy as Patrick Stewart anyway though.

Edited by nicky

Put it this way, you won't get to see Patrick or John Hurt with a standard entry

Hmm, I can only arrive on Saturday for a standard entry anyway (at about 11am) and I do wanna meet John Hurt. I guess we'll see but I dont anticipate him being as busy as Patrick Stewart anyway though.

I don't agree with puddlejumpers. I think that unless John or Patrick are only able to stay for a few hours, then pretty much everyone who wants a signature will get one, although they will have to be there waiting all day.

I had an early-bird ticket last year. I'm almost certain the other que went in the same time, it was confusing trying to find out if you were in the right one. The year before that I was in the wrong que and didn't find out until I was at the door. This year I will have a gold pass.

That wasn't the Standard Ticket queue that went in at the same time, it was those people buying an Early Bird ticket on the day. :huh:

i plan on getting there pretty early and buying a early bird ticket on the day.

did the same last year and got VT tickets around the 100 mark for the Heroes guests.

Edited by stobbs

Well sat I'll probably get a satandard entry cause the main guest I wish to see above all others are the Heroes ones. Which I know will be crowded, but still possible to see with a wait in the queue. On sun I think I may have to go with the early bird, cause I want to get Patrick Stewart' auto and if I go in standard it's possible I may not get to see him.

That wasn't the Standard Ticket queue that went in at the same time, it was those people buying an Early Bird ticket on the day. :YAHOO:

Personally feel that the purchasing early bird tickets on the day should only allow access after pre-booked have gone in. The reason for this is quite simply that Pre-book tickets cost 20% more due to P&P so you would have thought that this entitles them to some advantage over buying on the day.

Others will disagree.

(This would also remove the scramble of the two queues entering the building at the same time as per last years scrum).

• Moderators

The only issue with that is there are those who can't or don't want to purchase things online, so they'd feel at a disadvantage and probably complain about that.

Early Bird is Early Bird really. If people choose to purchase online then that's up to them :YAHOO:

The only issue with that is there are those who can't or don't want to purchase things online, so they'd feel at a disadvantage and probably complain about that.

Early Bird is Early Bird really. If people choose to purchase online then that's up to them :poki:

So what is the point of pre-booking an early bird ticket (or normal day ticket come to that)? We will have two queues operating which will allow entry at the same time the only difference is that one cost £2 more to stand in. That seems very fair does it not?

(don’t come back with it helps people budget that is irrelevant :P and you know it!!)

Edited by Noddy

The advantage of early bird is that you can pay up front for stuff (like you do with travel and accommodation costs etc) and have more money available for the good stuff. Of course it costs extra to send tickets out in the post, but why would SM not pass this on (I know you didn't say they should).

I'd doubt you can make any difference between prepaid EB and on the day EB .... It's not "Early Bird" and "Very Early Bird". If there is no point, why do YOU pre-buy ? With early bird you pay more to get in sooner - but the postage charge is nothing to do with teh actual admission .....

Edited by dufresne

Early Bird is Early Bird really. If people choose to purchase online then that's up to them :poki:

Well in that case as a pre booked early bird can I join the shortest queue? If I can be near the front of the pay on day crowd I can just flash my ticket and get in quicker :P

Seriously though I get the arguement for both sides but I do have mixed feelings about this. One could argue that the pre bookers provide part of the finance to bring the guests over. By pre booking we are providing SM some guarunteed income, so it would be fairer to let them go in first, followed by the on the day earlys and standards.

• Moderators

But most people buy pre-booked entry because they want to be organised, and have everything ready etc.

It's not a case of people buying to finance guests, or to get anything else beneficial because nothing else is on offer!

You get what you pay for.

If people aren't happy with paying for P&P then don't do it. I've very rarely bought photo shoot tickets before an event for example as I don't see the point paying extra when I can easily pick them up at the event.

I only bought mine online becuase I'm coming down from Manchester and it's just like my guarantee. I'm sure they wont sell out and stop people on the door but something deep in the back of my mind just makes sense to me that if I've already paid for my train ticket and hotel then booking my tickets along with them is just the logical thing to do, I know how I'm getting there, where I'm staying and so I also want to know that I'm definitely going in! £2 for that peace of mind is worth it I think, plus with the amount ill spend there anyway £2 is a drop in the ocean.

As for which is the fairest way to queue based on entry type, surely the fairest way is for there just to be one type of queue that allows you to either flash a ticket or flash the cash and get in? I can understand that it would be somewhat easier to collect cash only on one side and tickets only on another, but surely its not vital to do it this way, and it would be easily "doable" to let everyone in the same entrance at the same time?

I think early bird is early bird - whether you buy online or on the day you will be let in from 9am and in that regard, SM have done their part of the deal and you get exactly what you paid for.

Edited by nicky