Official Photographer

grawlix

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a problem with my photo - it's too close and off-centre.

And there is a shadow of Dom on the blue wall.

However - when I spoke to a staff member at the event, she said that it was a result of poor editing (not poor photography) and that she'll make it better and email/post the file/picture to me.

If the image comes back and it's still too close then that will be because the framing wasn't good at the time the photograph was taken.

I appreciate that the photographer had little time to take these images in BUT we are effectively paying about 9x (or more) the development cost and so a few extra seconds of care should be taken.

When I take portrait images (I'm a trainee photographer), it takes me no more than three-five seconds to frame an image. Once that has been taken care of properly, everything else can be photoshopped to perfection.

If original images are poorly framed etc, then responsibility does go back to the photographer - at the end of the day, many photographers work under immense pressure (I know of some who have to deal with a lot worse than LFCC - they don't have their image set up with a backdrop and markers on the floor!) and the mark of a good photographer is someone who keeps their high quality of photography maintained.

I'm not judging the photographer on the day at all because, as I said, the photographs may be fine, it could just be poor editing, but if there are large errors in the initial photograph then it may be worth thinking of ways to overcome effecting issues, such as time and ticket limitations etc.

In response to 'circumstances' comments - maybe Im cynical but if he is not finding it easy to do these kinds of shoots maybe a new photographer is needed. Im sure the money is nice for him but there seem to be ALOT of unhappy people. I do mean this in the nicest possible way.

I have been lucky and my photos are ok but I know someone who has paid £20 for a bad photo and there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it afterwards. Maybe they could have a screen showing your pic behind him, (if this is possible?) then if it really is awful you could say. I know this would cost but its surely got to be better than losing photoshoot revenue through disappointed customers?

I don't mind the blue background too much, though if possible I would've enjoyed a more appropiate backdrop, ie the eclipse for the Heroes actors.

What I am not pleased about though is the lighting, there's big shadows on the background of my pictures making me and/or the actors odd and other parts of the pictures look far too bright :smile:

Hi guy's

thought I would post an example of what it may look like with a themed background (not the best photoshopage I know but hey, If the source material was better????)

anyway lost of people are saying a poster background would cause glare. I have photoshopped in one of the freely available desktops for heroes and applied a cloth weave texture on top of this i added the crop from the photo shoot. now imagine it had good lighting and you would have something that looks like

1337086709_1b5b18c369.jpg?v=0

Now i realise i look like a smarmy Tw*t in the photo but again if I was given time to relax!

what do you think, if we had a background like this instead?

anybody else want their blue B/G photoshoping out just pay me £20 I'm not perfect but for £20 i can guarantee I can bee as good a digital artist as the photographer was.... well a photographer.

Actually I dont meant to insult the quality of his work, but i mean i will put equal effort in to each image.

Edited by Deap

Hi guy's

thought I would post an example of what it may look like with a themed background (not the best photoshopage I know but hey, If the source material was better????)

anyway lost of people are saying a poster background would cause glare. I have photoshopped in one of the freely available desktops for heroes and applied a cloth weave texture on top of this i added the crop from the photo shoot. now imagine it had good lighting and you would have something that looks like

1337920458_436ae451ea_m.jpg

Now i realise i look like a smarmy Tw*t in the photo but again if I was given time to relax!

what do you think, if we had a background like this instead?

anybody else want their blue B/G photoshoping out just pay me £20 I'm not perfect but for £20 i can guarantee I can bee as good a digital artist as the photographer was.... well a photographer.

Actually I dont meant to insilt the quality of his work, but i mean i will put equal effort in to each image.

But you've done just that mate, you've insulted him and his work in pretty much every thread.

All i can say is if you consider yourself better and could do a better job in those circumstances, than perhaps you should ask Showmasters if you can do the shoots from now on.

Maybe even approach Malcolm and talk to him directly rather than slagging off his work at every opportunity.

its a cool idea in theory put impractical in my opinion.how much time would it waste faffing about changing it to coordinate with each of the guests from diff shows/films/whatever?and people might like an actor in one thing but not another n theyd get a background of something they arent a fan of in their photo

But you've done just that mate, you've insulted him and his work in pretty much every thread.

All i can say is if you consider yourself better and could do a better job in those circumstances, than perhaps you should ask Showmasters if you can do the shoots from now on.

Maybe even approach Malcolm and talk to him directly rather than slagging off his work at every opportunity.

Ok if anything that I have said has come across as an actual insult then i apologise. I don't mean to insult Malcolm but at the same time i want to get my point across and get as many people on board with me as possible. the insult meant above (which i corrected and apologised for in the post) was meant in jest so that i could better relate to those people who do feel he was a bad photographer.

I have stated that I don't consider him as a poor photographer and that the work people are complaining about here is probably not a true representation of his work. he was given a hard task of taking so many photos and due to the quantity there has been a considerable drop in quality all I want to do with my posts is show everyone what "could" be achieved by making some simple changes. I am also expressing what I expected to happen when It was advertised that I could get a "professional photo session".

Malcolm is probably a very good photographer but i have no evidence of that. I don't want to contact him directly because i don't want to insult him nor do i feel that my posts are a way of having a go at him, since he probably does not use these forums i would find it cheap to insult him.

I am insulting the photo session as a product. for what is charged much better results could have been achieved by a manor of factors. not once have i suggested an alternate photographer I have only suggested that methods are changed and would like to see if people agree with that.

If Malcolm is out there and you have taken offence with any of my posts then please accept my sincerest apologies. I understand completely that you have done what was asked of you by you employer for this event and you were rushed due to the amount of people.

My complaint is solely to showmasters who have already admitted that mistakes were made and I mearly want to offer suggestions as to how "I feel" they could be better next time.

I've been to loads of photo shoots where Malcolm has been the photographer and I've always been very happy with the way they turn out.

On one occasion it was slightly hazy, so I spoke to him and asked if it was possible to have it re-done and he went out of his way to do this. He even did this at the last Collectormania for a couple of people because of them having eyes shut or whatever reason it was.

I'm sure, if when you saw your photo and you weren't happy then if you approached Malcolm at the show he *may* have been able to re-do them (obviously with guests permissions & time contraints). Ok, this won't be possible for the double shot taken at the end for obvious reasons.

But if you're not happy at the TIME they why not say something there and then instead of doing nothing about it?

:D

• Moderators

You'd be much better contacting them directly if you're genuinely serious about wanting to help and improve stuff - as much as discussion is important on here, it's much easier for them to take stuff on board if they talk with you directly if you contact them :D

Worst they can say is thanks but no thanks.

Edited by DavidB

You'd be much better contacting them directly if you're genuinely serious about wanting to help and improve stuff - as much as discussion is important on here, it's much easier for them to take stuff on board if they talk with you directly if you contact them :D

Worst they can say is thanks but no thanks.

I could i guess but I don't want to get involved myself, I want to participate at these events not work them. people started this thread because they disliked the background I'm just saying how i think it can be better. I know that the people of SM frequent these forums and if they like the idea they will look into it. if they dont they will egnore it but the point of the forum is so the community can discuss.

Some people didn't get the point of this example. I don't mean they should photoshop every image to have a background (and i was joking about doing it for you for £20) its an example to show what the image may be like with a background. in the case of LFCC it wouldn't necessarily be Heroes themed but possibly have an LFCC badge or logo on it, I'm just trying to show how its more interesting than a blue curtain. just have a themed background for teh event in the colours and styles that are already chosen for that event,.

Guys please don't have a go just because i say i don't like something. If I didn't like something i say why. If you think I'm wrong then say where and why don't just say stop having a go or you're wrong otherwise your just having a go at me being negative as opposed to talking about the topic

Edited by Deap

its a cool idea in theory put impractical in my opinion.how much time would it waste faffing about changing it to coordinate with each of the guests from diff shows/films/whatever?and people might like an actor in one thing but not another n theyd get a background of something they arent a fan of in their photo

I think your right Kirsty :chair: , for some that could be difficult, and organising the batches further would result in further headaches.

Photoshopping isn’t an option either.

But there has to be some sort of middle ground / improvement possible.

If Mike is a professional photographer, he’d admit himself that some of those pictures are awful, and not worth the money paid. He doesn’t need any of us to tell him directly.

I think I see a negative result out of your photoshopped pic..is it just me, or is Jack now short and fat compared to what he actually is? Or am I the only one who thinks this..just seems something not right about him..

I think I see a negative result out of your photoshopped pic..is it just me, or is Jack now short and fat compared to what he actually is? Or am I the only one who thinks this..just seems something not right about him..

Yeah i notice something, it just doesn't look right, looks better with blue background. Just can't believe how much this thread has spiralled down, just because of a background. Perhaps you'll like a pink background or polka dot one next time, im sure we can all do better than Malcom, give the guy a break. Blue is just fine, why change it if it works fine.

Jesus its just an example. to me (and several others) blue is boring this was an example of it with a different background (so its not perfect!) i said that in the post when i posted it.

:chair:

Edited by Deap

i dunno why you think you can comment on other peoples behalves.you keep saying 'the majority' or 'and others' people can speak for themselves and im sure you dont know that high a percentage of all the people who got photoshoots :chair:

Jesus its just an example. to me (and several others) blue is boring this was an example of it with a different background (so its not perfect!) i said that in the post when i posted it.

:chair:

Blue maybe boring, but other convention companies use it. Some use a brownish background but the majority are blue backgrounds so that must say something.

I was at another convention in August with a different photographer and the background there was a blue/grey colour too, it's a standard 'neutral' colour that's used. I have no problem with it personally, I find it quite flattering for me.

Also, Malcolm is a hugely experienced convention photographer, he's been doing it for many many years. But, he's never been put in a situation like he was on Sunday before as far as I know. I talked to him afterwards and he was incredibly stressed and had not been told beforehand that he was expected to do an extra photoshoot that day, nevermind one with over 400 photos needing to be taken. He hadn't planned for it and had no control over it. He was being rushed by everyone involved, Showmasters and the guests, and I know he'd be pretty upset if people's photos aren't up to scratch as he does obviously take pride in his work.