What's the most important thing to you when meeting a guest?

nicky

The most important thing TO ME when meeting a guest is:  

61 members have voted

1. 1. The most important thing TO ME when meeting a guest?

• The autograph
    • The photo
    • The chance to chat

When we meet most guests there are generally three things we take away; the autograph, a photo with them and a brief chat. Which of those do you cherish the most of all with guests that actually agree to do all of these?

Forget all the technicalities like "no posed pics", photo-shoots, "I prefer the talks", "I hate it when they're moody" - just in general, which is more important to you overall?

I look foward to getting to meet them the most.

For me it's definitely the chance to chat.

I am not really that bothered about autographs. I've got them lying all around the house, one day I really should put them together in a file or something, but for me the autograph is the way to get to meet the guest.

I do like photos, because they're the proof of the meeting, but again, they're less important than meeting the guest and getting to tell him how much I enjoy whatever it is they've done.

I like it when you can have at least a quick chat with the actor when he's doing the signing. I've had quite good chats with James Marsters (buffy) and Adrian Paul (highlander) while they were signing the items I'd brought.

Admittedly the only photos we can get are ones taken while in the queue, but sometimes that can be a good thing, especially when you get another star appearing while you're there to swap autographs! (I've had this happen twice) So you get 2 photo ops for the price of one!

For me, it's to get the photo, 'cause then you can remember when you met them, for the rest of your life, also i've got my own website, so I like to have photos to show all the people i've met. But still, the autograph & having a chat, & all in all, meeting the person, is still important to me.

Deffo all three but unfortunately my 'chat' never comes to fruition. Brain thinks, lovely to meet you, total honour etc however translation arrives at 'urghh nauflting gibber :headscratch: goargh gloo eh' then total meltdown and closing of system, into abrupt probably rude exit. I wish I didn't get so star struck.

For me its the chance to talk, and a photo. To me, the autograph is just something to look at thats a nice reminder of meeting them. But the photos are so much more, a lifelong memory of a few moments in my life which made me really happy, it aint just something u can sell on ebay or whatever.

When we meet most guests there are generally three things we take away; the autograph, a photo with them and a brief chat. Which of those do you cherish the most of all with guests that actually agree to do all of these?

Forget all the technicalities like "no posed pics", photo-shoots, "I prefer the talks", "I hate it when they're moody" - just in general, which is more important to you overall?

I look foward to getting to meet them the most.

To a certain extent it depends on who it is, but I voted "The chance to chat". I have a tour programme from the Queen + Paul Rodgers hyde park concert, which Brian May signed and personalized for me, and I had a brief chat with him about the concert, and the fact that he was working on some new songs etc. And that meant a lot. The programme is nicely framed, and it's fantastic, but given the choice between having that and having the chance to talk with someone who (for me) was a boyhood hero, no contest. That's why I don't do the whole 'send off for an auto' thing.

I don't care about autographs, really. The only reason I go for autographs is the chance to talk to the guests. At previous cons I've been to you didn't get to take a photo with the guests, so hopefully that works out well on my first Showmasters event :chair:

I normally prefer the photo and the chat but like the auto to take away. However at CE I realised that it's not the auto at all that I want. I spent ages chatting to Simon Pegg and not once did I think about getting his autograph - it just seemed rude after talking to him as a peer and not a celeb.

I went for the photoshoots at GMex show because mainly I got a photo with the A-Team guys (and a chat as photographer had to change the film) same with Robert Englund.

My signed pictures just go into an album never to be seen again!

I went to the revenge of the sith premiere, not for autos but for the chance to see the actors and maybe shake hands with George Lucas.

The photo and the chance to talk to the actor!!

The photo is to prove to my friends I actually met Dominic Monaghan lol. Just ordered phototickets for Dominic, Torri and Mary. This convention is gonna cost me a fortune.... but I guess it's worth it

It's very difficult, obviously I love all three, but I do love it if an actor agrees to a photograph. My memory is awful, especially when I'm talking to someone I respect and admire- the chat tends to be a blur (intellectual at the time, but a blur about 10 seconds afterwards) so the photograph is a lovely reminder for myself. :)

The photo for me, I like the autograph and all but the photo is a far better thing to show off. That's why I love booking photo sessions in advance so I don't spend time worrieing about not getting to meet the guest and if I do then not getting a photo.

I always get star struck REALLY bad which I hate as they must think I'm a weird silent mute that only know's how to say "Hi", "Thank you" and "Goodbye".

Edited by Lambourne

Prefer a photo over autographs anyday. The autographs really don't mean that much to me anymore.

As with Dazzlers Simon Pegg meeting (whom I also met and chatted with at CE) I met a guy I admire at CE too - Jon Culshaw, who I think is one of the best impressionists this country has, and I didn't bother him for an autograph, just a photo.

Would be interesting to see if a photo only option would be popular.

The way I see it, you pay for it and an autograph is guaranteed. Yes, it's nice to have a photo with a guest but it's not always possible either because they don't want to be photographed or the guys in charge are trying to get the queue moving (which is fair enough).

However, a brief chat can really be something to remember. When I first met the Phelps twins, we were being rushed through the queue though surprisingly were allowed to have a photo. That was in Milton Keynes. When I went to meet them again at G-Mex and their queue was sparse in comparison so I got the photo I had taken with them signed and I actually got the chance to speak to them (I asked them about the rumoured lack of Quidditch in the fifth film and what it was like to work with Imelda Staunton).

That's why my vote goes to the chat. That's what I remember about meeting a guest.