BILL NIGHY: Are you happy with the BIG announcement?

nicky

Is Bill Nighy worthy of being heralded as a "BIG announcment"?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Is Bill Nighy worthy of being heralded as a "BIG announcment"?

• Yes, he's worthy. SM gave us a BIG guest
    • No, he's not that big. Announcment was an anti-climax
    • Unsure

The forum seems to be divided between people who think Bill Nighy isn't worthy of the BIG scale hyped announcement we just had and others do. Let's forget about who we wanted for ourselves and ask is Bill Nighy big enough to fill the boots of a "BIG announcment"...

Let's take a look at his famous works, there are obviously a few BIG films in there:

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest (Main villain in last summer's biggest hit.)

Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End (Main villian in one of this summer's biggest hits.)

Underworld

Underworld: Evolution

As yet untitled and forthcoming Underworld prequel

Love Actually (The best character who stole the show for most plus he sang the song)

Hot Fuzz (Very recent Brit hit)

Shaun of the Dead (Brit favourite)

Notes on a Scandal (Brit 2007 Oscar nommed film.)

Flushed Away

The Constant Gardener

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Magic Roundabout (movie)

Still Crazy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i never heard of him till now. however i advice anyone who is dissapointed to not say anything otherwise you will have david b. breathing down your neck.

Have you heard of any of those films that he's been in? Any of those RECENT films?

This is a huge announcement, possibly yhe best 'current' guest that SM have ever managed to get.

• Moderators

I'm personally not that bothered about meeting the guy, but he's a great guest for Showmasters with an excellent body of recent and highly successful movie work. So I am impressed, and I do think he was worthy of 'hype' - I wouldn't say he was overhyped!

And Indio, I'm not going to get into an argument with you again, so please stop trying to provoke me.

• Moderators

No. The difference is I try to discuss things with you, not make snide personal remarks i.e. GET A LIFE, do gooder etc from the last thread, and your unprovoked comment about me in this topic.

Like I said, I'm not getting into an argument, so leave it.

Of course he counts as a 'big' guest - he's a very well known and respected British actor, and you've only listed a few of the more recent films. If you'd carried on pasting from IMDB you'd have seen a lot of other work dating back quite a few years; he hasn't had a couple of bit parts in a few recent TV shows like some guests that people are squeeing about. The definition of 'big' doesn't exclusively mean some pretty face in a major Hollywood film or US TV series, sometimes it can mean people who work continuously over both media because they are considered talented.

*Pulls head back in before getting really annoyed*:thumbup:

i never heard of him till now. however i advice anyone who is dissapointed to not say anything otherwise you will have david b. breathing down your neck.

Have you heard of any of those films that he's been in? Any of those RECENT films?

This is a huge announcement, possibly yhe best 'current' guest that SM have ever managed to get.

Which makes me think indio is just a kid... and has no knowledge of classic films.

Jon Voight indeed... bet first time your saw him was tomb raider LMAO !

I would think that Richard D. Anderson would be a bigger surprise or Scott Bakula.
No disrespect but if it was either of them I would have been disappointed as they are TV stars and not film stars and are thus just not the same calibre.

But seeing as SM announced a guest that would be topical and it happened to be from POTC, I personally would have liked Chow Yun Fat, though he's probably too unrealistic.

You'd get people moaning if they announced Diane Keaton for God sake!
Given the age of most forumers here I'd doubt they'd even know who she was...or even Woody Allen.:thumbup:

If you'd carried on pasting from IMDB you'd have seen a lot of other work dating back quite a few years;
Yes, but I didn't want to bore people and make a big post so just included the famous and recent high profile stuff. :pyth: Edited by nicky

I personally have no interest in meeting him, Struan Roger was a much better announcement for me personally :pyth:

But I don't doubt for a second that this is one of SM's biggest catches, and i'm pretty impressed. From the response ive no doubt that he'll be an exremely popular guest, and thats all that matters really.

I was a little disappointed mainly due to the specualation as to who it would be, was beginning to hope myself that it would be the whole Star Trek: The Next Generation crew doing a photo shoot, or Ian McKellen, or Mr.T, but like ive said, thats just personal choice! I'm happy for all the people that are over the moon with the announcement! :thumbup:

It all comes down to taste in actors and movies/TV. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Bill Nighy, but respect his work as an actor, he's very talented. I think he's a brilliant guest for SM, and no doubt will be beginning of things to come. I would definetely meet him!

you and david b make me laugh, keep it up ;)

What makes ME laugh is that DB can't let one comment pass without SOME comment. Ever done that, Rich ?

Edited by dufresne

Compared to some guests that have been announced I think he is pretty huge

I voted yes and I will be hoping to meet him.

Through looking at posts to the forum in the past there are some people who are only into Harry Potter , Lord of the Rings etc

With this when they hear a BIG Announcement they think of Daniel Radcliffe and Orlando Bloom

Me, Im just a general movie fan and have when Bill Nighy was announced I was pretty impressed Was in Shaun of the Dead and currently in the Pirates OTC.

If your not happy then I hope you will be in future announcements. SMS can only get who they get if teh BIG names were available then i'm sure they would sign them up.

Here's to all the folks out there. I hope that one day all your requests come true

Peace !!!!;)

Yeah, he's a BIG star!! You'd get people moaning if they announced Diane Keaton for God sake! Some people don't look further than their own particular fandom when judging whether the guest is a good one or not *sigh*

Could not agree with this comment more!!

Bill nighy is an absolutely amazing amazing guest. I cannot believe there are people that are unhappy with this guest! He is a fantastic actor and a lovely guy. He is also a big name, that has been in some huge films. It is a huge achievement that showmasters got him and I am absolutely thrilled.

People really have to look at the bigger picture. I am not particularly a Buffy fan, but when James Marsters is confirmed, I think wow thats a great guest, even though I am not particularly bothered. Bill Nighy is pure Hollywood gold, and just because he is a Brit actor doesn't change that. He has recently been on broadway with Julianne Moore!!

Come on guys!!! Just applaud this guest, irrelevant of whether you particularly wanna meet him or not!! Cannot believe Bill Nighy is coming to london film and comic con!!