Photography banned?!

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

There is currently a legislation being drawn up to ban photography and video in public places. Although this may not seem important it could effect us all. How many of you take photos of your friends queuing outside Collectormania, or messing about in McDonalds, or meeting a guest?

As many of you know, I'm a keen photographer and have very strong views on the historical and artistic value of candid or street photography. Most of the most celebrated and memorable photographs of the 20th century have been candid shots taken in a public place (think of the b/w photo of a couple kissing on a Paris street, contruction workers building skyscrapers high above New York, etc). Photos taken around the turn of the century of street scenes and people which seemed inconsequential at the time have proved historically invaluable now, and I'm sure you all love to see snapshots of your parents and grandparents when they were your age!

There is a petition on the Governments website against this legislation. CLICK HERE to go directly to the petition and please add your name to the list.

Andrea

Never heard anything so ridiculous.. who the hell is going to police this legislation if it ever comes in..

Perhaps this is more aimed at the paparazzi to protect celebs and royals and not intended for general joe public..

That way the celebs can sue if published.. maybe the publisher would be liable and therefore dissuaded from using paparazzi pics..

Don't throw away your cameras just yet!!!!

Done. I'm all for finding a way to stop the paparazzi (I witnessed them chasing Daniel Radcliffe the other day and frankly it was dangerous, tyres screetching, u-turns in the middle of Shaftesbury Ave the whole Starsky and Hutch car chase thing) but banning people from taking pics in a public place is scarily Orweilan.

Thats just ridiculous! Why the hell do they want to ban it? Random photos is like a huuuuge part of the fun at CM. Why don't they stop fannying about with stuff like this and actually do something USEFUL! pfft.

Edited by Nell

Done. I'm all for finding a way to stop the paparazzi (I witnessed them chasing Daniel Radcliffe the other day and frankly it was dangerous, tyres screetching, u-turns in the middle of Shaftesbury Ave the whole Starsky and Hutch car chase thing) but banning people from taking pics in a public place is scarily Orweilan.

Really - the paps chasing someone.....mmm. Evil, despicable bar stewards that they are they WILL one day cause another Princess Di occurence.

They are always mucking it up for us normal photographers. The times WE get told to stay within the Press pen/barrier/ropes etc, yet security do nothing about stopping them hoising down any celeb they see which in turn means we get screwed.

Anyway this so called legislation is just a rumour. Nothing concrete as yet so really not much to petition against. Us photographers have spoken about it amongst ourselves and various links to this peition have been plastered all over the www.

Really its bad enough being labelled a perv just because you have camera in your hand...sometimes. Or being confronted by someone telling you can't shoot with one of those things here. But IF a law ever came into being to prevent ANYONE taking pictures quite innocently, then we may as well all just roll over and shuffle slowly towards the nearest mortal coil.

KEITH

This is insane... Im al for supporting. Especially haveing spent a couple of hundred on cameras and equipment so far this year :-(... Ill leave the country :thumbup:

What a bloody stupid idea, what they gonna ban next? Conversation in public?

Petition signed and link passed on

Dont worry Andy, because by the time you work out how to use your camera, you wont have to because itll be such dated technology people seeing you in the street will want your autograph for owning suh an aged item..

I assume this is so imconcieved attempt to stop paedophiles taking pics of kids. This country is paedophile mad :-s If you can't take pics in public the only other place is in your own home. Don't know about you but there isn't much worth photographing in my place. Gonna have photo exhibitions of dozens of pics of a dogs sat in front of a gas fires.

This is really a little bit too far.

It'd totally banish the point of cameras, and all we'd have is myspace pictures, GREAT =|

Wow that would actually suck. "Yes grandson, this is where i used to live and play in my day. OH NO WAIT I WASN'T ALLOWED TO TAKE A PICTURE MWUAAHAA!"

This is insane... Im al for supporting. Especially haveing spent a couple of hundred on cameras and equipment so far this year :-(... Ill leave the country :wub:

What a bloody stupid idea, what they gonna ban next? Conversation in public?

Petition signed and link passed on

Dont worry Andy, because by the time you work out how to use your camera, you wont have to because itll be such dated technology people seeing you in the street will want your autograph for owning suh an aged item..

Maybe it's you they are trying to get out of the country Alex

There is currently a legislation being drawn up to ban photography and video in public places. Although this may not seem important it could effect us all. How many of you take photos of your friends queuing outside Collectormania, or messing about in McDonalds, or meeting a guest?

As many of you know, I'm a keen photographer and have very strong views on the historical and artistic value of candid or street photography. Most of the most celebrated and memorable photographs of the 20th century have been candid shots taken in a public place (think of the b/w photo of a couple kissing on a Paris street, contruction workers building skyscrapers high above New York, etc). Photos taken around the turn of the century of street scenes and people which seemed inconsequential at the time have proved historically invaluable now, and I'm sure you all love to see snapshots of your parents and grandparents when they were your age!

There is a petition on the Governments website against this legislation. CLICK HERE to go directly to the petition and please add your name to the list.

Andrea

So will this also mean that speed cameras will be banned?