Fools Gold

Noddy

Could never understand why people bought gold tickets as thought it was throwing away money but I accepted the comments that "at least we don't have to queue". Admittedly the thought of strolling up mid/late morning without the need for early start to stand behind smelly geeks from Wigan like the rest of us prolls had it merits. Why then did Gold pass holders start queuing by their doot at 08:15!! By 09:30 they numbered about 20. Then it got even better inside as on 4 occassions I saw Gold Ticket members get VT's!!!! You paid £150+ plus for what.

In some cases the expression more money than sense has never been so true.

Edited by Noddy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a couple of people with gold passes grab a VT and then give them to friends who had to queue up to get in

And really, I don't see why you are so concerned whether poeple want to spend that much or not. I bought my GP because I needed to have seen everyone by lunchtime as I had a flight to catch. As it happened I had seen all the top names by 10:00 and everyone else by 11.30. I also did not have to queue to get in - I arrived at five past nine and walked straight in.

More money than sense? Perhaps - but no queues to get in, no waiting for guests, posed photos and personalisation from all the guests, was well worth it.

Could never understand why people bought gold tickets as thought it was throwing away money but I accepted the comments that "at least we don't have to queue". Admittedly the thought of strolling up mid/late morning without the need for early start to stand behind smelly geeks from Wigan like the rest of us prolls had it merits. Why then did Gold pass holders start queuing by their doot at 08:15!! By 09:30 they numbered about 20. Then it got even better inside as on 4 occassions I saw Gold Ticket members get VT's!!!! You paid £150+ plus for what.

I had a Gold Pass for this event as when I bought it Dreyfuss was attending. Ok cancellations took some of the shine of the pass but how dare you indicate that people who choose to go down this route have more money than sense.

I thought the goody bag was pathetic and the autos (one was damaged) left a lot to be desired but for someone to come on here and criticise the way in which some of us decided to attend this event is not called for.

Yes some of us turned up at 8.30 ish so what, whats it to you? I was finished by around 1pm and saw some talks and waited for my Elijah photo to be printed. I dont understand why someone who didnt have a gold pass feels the need to try and make those that did look stupid. pathetic. :thumbup:

I can think of another board member who will also have an issue with you entitleing the thread "Fools Gold" when he finishes at the show today. That'll be fun.

Edited by rich5wolves

First time I got a gold pass and I would definately do it again if there was anyone big like carrie fisher or elijah wood who I wanted to see. I have been to collectormanias and had to go home before my number came up on the VQs which is very annoying. Well worth it.

I had a Gold Pass for this event as when I bought it Dreyfuss was attending. Ok cancellations took some of the shine of the pass but how dare you indicate that people who choose to go down this route have more money than sense.

I thought the goody bag was pathetic and the autos (one was damaged) left a lot to be desired but for someone to come on here and criticise the way in which some of us decided to attend this event is not called for.

Yes some of us turned up at 8.30 ish so what, whats it to you? I was finished by around 1pm and saw some talks and waited for my Elijah photo to be printed. I dont understand why someone who didnt have a gold pass feels the need to try and make those that did look stupid. pathetic. :thumbup:

I can think of another board member who will also have an issue with you entitleing the thread "Fools Gold" when he finishes at the show today. That'll be fun.

It's great to see that immediately you're told you have more money than sense by someone else, you change your tune.

All your other posts after the Dreyfuss and Lee cancellations indicated that you were unhappy at having bought the gold pass, that the risk wasn't worth taking, and that you wouldn't buy a gold pass again.

You said all these things yourself. You must've known before you bought the pass that there would be be cancellations and that you wouldn't get what you were paying for. Yet you bought the pass.

You have stated in your post above that the goodie bag was "pathetic". So you paid £175 for the privilege of being able to queue jump for 3 guests. What else did you get for your money? Jack is what you got.

Noddy is quite right. If you want to pay that amount of money to queue jump, then you truly do have more money than sense.

I laugh when I see people who know they've been gullible coming over all defensive, and using the classic "how dare you blah blah blah" line to get sympathy when they're told by other people how stupid they've been.

Rich, just put your hands up and admit you were naive. Only then can you move on from your desire to throw your money away.

I think this event showed that i didn't really need a gold pass. I got there at 9am and met Nathan Filion, Alan Tudyk, Carrie Fisher, Jorge Garcia, Maggie Grace and Elijah Wood all without a Gold pass, Only the £5 entrance fee. I was considering getting a Gold pass before the event as i didnt think i would get to London in time to meet everyone.

I would consider getting a Gold pass if there were some big name guests announced for GMEX as it is further for me to go.

Yes some of us turned up at 8.30 ish so what, whats it to you? I was finished by around 1pm and saw some talks and waited for my Elijah photo to be printed. I dont understand why someone who didnt have a gold pass feels the need to try and make those that did look stupid. pathetic. :YAHOO:

It's great to see that immediately you're told you have more money than sense by someone else, you change your tune.

All your other posts after the Dreyfuss and Lee cancellations indicated that you were unhappy at having bought the gold pass, that the risk wasn't worth taking, and that you wouldn't buy a gold pass again.

You said all these things yourself. You must've known before you bought the pass that there would be be cancellations and that you wouldn't get what you were paying for. Yet you bought the pass.

You have stated in your post above that the goodie bag was "pathetic". So you paid £175 for the privilege of being able to queue jump for 3 guests. What else did you get for your money? Jack is what you got.

Noddy is quite right. If you want to pay that amount of money to queue jump, then you truly do have more money than sense.

I laugh when I see people who know they've been gullible coming over all defensive, and using the classic "how dare you blah blah blah" line to get sympathy when they're told by other people how stupid they've been.

Rich, just put your hands up and admit you were naive. Only then can you move on from your desire to throw your money away.

Just a quick point here, I did not indicate in this thread whether I would have another gold pass or not as in actual fact I probably wouldnt based on this one. So much for being defensive. :headscratch:

My point is, and to you aswell, does it make you feel good or something to try and make all those who bought a gold pass look stupid??! Get a life. I had a gold pass and as I said when Lee cancelled I probably wouldnt have one next time, but what gives you the right to comment on a bunch of people who made a decision to attend an event in a certain way?? We are not stupid because we bought a certain ype of ticket. The point isnt whether I would have another or whether I feel it was value for money, this thread has been started to almost rub gold pass peoples noses in it. £175 is not an awful lot for me. Im sorry to sound rude but starting a thread called "Fools Gold" and saying we have more money than sense is something I will object to and theres no need for it. Its provacative. The bottom line is before and after this event I have the same opinion, but saddos on here seem to enjoy making other people feel like s*** and look stupid. I had a great day yesterday and im sure all the other Gold Pass holders did aswell. So go play in traffic. :wub:

I can see both points here. I think if Noddy had omitted his last sentence about more money than sense, then it wouldn't have riled quite as much.

rich5wolves is right - some of us can afford to buy gold passes and choose to do so for our own reasons. We also don't go around calling people from Wigan 'smelly geeks', nor do we criticise those who choose to get to these events at 6am and then run through Earls Court like screaming banshees desperate to be the first to meet Elijah or whoever.

Most of us just chose to buy that ticket because we could and we wanted the benefits. I for one didn't buy it for the 'goodie bag', just for the opportunity to have a relaxed time and to do things like see who I want when I want. I have no regrets about buying it, and if I want the privilege for the next event then I will get another one. I certainly don't feel ripped off or stupid.

I would assume that both rich5wolves and I are older than some of the immature people on this thread who have nothing more interesting to write than something criticising other people. Grow up and post something sensible about the show if you must choose to say something at all.

I am disappointed that there are people on here with such unpleasant attitudes. Probably the same idiots who criticised Christopher Lee for hurting himself - what's wrong with you?

Rant over with.

:saiyan:

Edited by Loxias

I totally agree with you rich5wolves, this thread almost seems like its trying to make all those who had a gold pass look stupid. I have to say I havnt had a gold pass before and dont think I would but I respect others opinion and if its their choice then so be it.

I also think that its unfair to say to someone they have more money than sense as it it a provocative statement and understandable that someone might say something back.

I went to the show today and met some real nice people. Its a shame that some people cant let sleeping dogs lie here on this forum. The people I saw with gold passess seemed to be having a great time. :YAHOO: Worth £175 or not, I dont think you are stupid :headscratch:

I am just making the point that to pay so much money for a Gold Pass then arrive early to queue up/collect VT seems somewhat foolish.

I would also point that I did use the term stupid - that was first used by rich4wolves.

Edited by Noddy

Why then did Gold pass holders start queuing by their doot at 08:15!!

Because everyone's trains could be delayed, and I'm sure they didn't want to be late. 8:15 for a 9am start is not excessive.

If they want to collect VTs, why not? They could only get one for each guest anyway, so that's only 50 if everyone got one for all the guests.

Just wanted to add my thoughts here!

I would never buy a Gold Pass,no matter how desperate i was.....but thats just me.....i would rather put the money to things i could buy at the events.....i don't just get autographs......my first thoughts would be that these people do have more money than sense.......but it not my money their spending and their not hurting me.......so each to their own.

Why then did Gold pass holders start queuing by their doot at 08:15!!

Because everyone's trains could be delayed, and I'm sure they didn't want to be late. 8:15 for a 9am start is not excessive.

If they want to collect VTs, why not? They could only get one for each guest anyway, so that's only 50 if everyone got one for all the guests.

Today was a 10:00 start.

Edited by Noddy

I decided to buy a gold pass for the sole reason that meeting Elijah has been my dream for ages and in my opinion this was my best chance of getting to meet him; so I chose to save up and buy one and for me it was worth every penny and I can go back to being a skint student very much happier lol :rolleyes: I was travelling with my sister who had a prepaid early bird ticket, so I got there at the same as she did. Weekend transport being what it is, we didn't want to leave it too late. I got a couple of virtual tickets for her which she might not have been able to get otherwise. To me the goodie bags were an added bonus rather than the main attraction, and I was not dissapointed getting a few nice autographs and a cool print. I really valued having a seat at the front of the talks, not having to join the back of the huge photo queue for Elijah, and things like that; different holders valued different things i'm sure but as long as everyone's happy :rolleyes:

Laura x

:uhoh: I Never understand the point of a gold pass. There is normal enough things to do while you wait and if you see some of the guests that do not have mega queues then by the time you have seen them your numbers are up anyway. If you got 5 free autographs with every gold pass it might be worth having. But I would never pay that much money just to queues jump. It takes the fun out of it anyway. The only time I ever got the hump waiting for someone is Val Kilmer and he did not even bother to turn up. I think it builds up the exsitment if you have to wait a bit. I saw all the guests I wanted to see and still got home to see some crap football.

• Moderators

If people have the money and they choose to buy a Gold Pass for whatever reason, then why not!

After all, if these events show us anything it's the variety of tastes that we all have etc ... some people don't think one guest is worth £15 but would be more than happy to pay £45 for another!

We're all different, and there's no need to criticise those who choose to get one. As long as we all enjoy ourselves and get what we want out of these events, then that's fine! :rolleyes:

Well I got a Gold Pass and it was worth every penny!!!

For a start the goody bag, although it could have been better, contained autographs which would've cost me £85, along with a limited edition lithograph, which at a print run of 300, which is practically unique, and some other little items which added to the goody bag.

I was able to sit in the front row of every talk I wanted to see (Before I had to leave early cause the on-line check-in on my flight wasn't working and I had to be at Heathrow over an hour before my flight! :D ).

I didn't have to pay for entry, I arrived at 8:55am and joined the gold pass queue, without having to stand in the massive queue which almost encircled Earls Court, although it was a bit of a balls up as the main queue decided to run through the Gold Pass door, then we had to queue to get our pass.

I didn't need to hang around for VT ticket numbers (EG 800 for Carrie Fisher which would've kept me there until 4/5pm) and simply joined the queue of every guest I wished to see, leaving me plenty of time to enjoy the sunshine and the england game while most people had either got fed up and gone home or missed it!

And I have to agree with the majority of posters, what anyone does with their money is their business :D !!! I respect the views of everybody, even if I do think dressing up is a bit odd, but all the same it's up to them to do what they do, and I respect that. The gold pass, to me, was worth every penny.

Adam

http://www.adam-smith.co.uk

Edited by agasmith

Personally I think the gold passes were pointless as I met the likes of Elijah Wood, Carrie Fisher, Jorge Garcia etc on saturday, all before 2pm. Thus making it possible to watch the England get kicked out of the world cup............all of which without wasting £150 on a gold pass

Well, as SM have stated they made the talks free because of the money they collect of the gold passes I can't really complain. Sure they are pricey, but then there's other non SM events that are as expensive for just about everyone.

Wether you'd need one has much to do with the time you can spend on an event like this. So if your time on a Saturday is worth more than the cost of a gold pass, get one.

I didn't get a gold pass and got to easily see all of the big guests and didn't feel rushed; it just means you may have to wait a little longer, though the longest wait was for Elijah as he started signing late.

Yes some of us turned up at 8.30 ish so what, whats it to you? I was finished by around 1pm and saw some talks and waited for my Elijah photo to be printed. I dont understand why someone who didnt have a gold pass feels the need to try and make those that did look stupid. pathetic. :D

You Mean Me

you guys all need to chill seriously. Gold pass people, not saying you werwe stupid for getting gold passes as they were for sale so yeah, people obviously bought them for a "good" deal. I managed fien without one but perhaps soem people feel the need to obtain a gold pass to feel superious to all the rest of us queing for about 3 hours about a mile away form where the talk or signing actually is! xxx

you guys all need to chill seriously. Gold pass people, not saying you werwe stupid for getting gold passes as they were for sale so yeah, people obviously bought them for a "good" deal. I managed fien without one but perhaps soem people feel the need to obtain a gold pass to feel superious to all the rest of us queing for about 3 hours about a mile away form where the talk or signing actually is! xxx

Superior to people queuing?? I bought a pass because it guarantees you will see the guests and not miss out, when Dreyfuss, Fisher and Wood were there I felt the need. I didnt give anyone else who might be queuing a second thought, definately not superior to them. It was my first Gold Pass too so I learnt a lot about them having now had one.

Maybe we havnt got a superiority complex, maybe the simple fact that you brought that up means you have an inferiority one though :(

My Gold Pass was actually not too bad due to an error by Showmasters, not going to say what it was but lets just say I was twice as happy than I would have been normally. ;) (Aspen wink wink)

Superior to people queuing?? I bought a pass because it guarantees you will see the guests and not miss out, when Dreyfuss, Fisher and Wood were there I felt the need. I didnt give anyone else who might be queuing a second thought, definately not superior to them. It was my first Gold Pass too so I learnt a lot about them having now had one.

Maybe we havnt got a superiority complex, maybe the simple fact that you brought that up means you have an inferiority one though :D

My Gold Pass was actually not too bad due to an error by Showmasters, not going to say what it was but lets just say I was twice as happy than I would have been normally. :YAHOO: (Aspen wink wink)

You mean they screwed up debiting your credit card and you got the gold **** for free?

On Sunday with half an hour to go till the show closed Fillion's queue was huge, it stretched all the way back to the dealder stands and a bit further. They had to cap the queue because they didn't think he was gonna have time to do everyone. But cos I had my gold pass they let me at the back. I managed to meet him one last time with only 6 or so minutes left.

With 4 minutes left till the show closed, guess what I did. I went over to the Elijah queue, lol. Without my gold pass they would never have let me go in at that time. There were still quite a few people left. I was the second to last person in, by the time i met Eli it was about 5:15.

I think the gold pass is definately worth the money for time-saving and the great view in the guest talks.

A fair point about guaranteeing that you'll get to see all the guests you want, but then that can be accomplished by making sure you get in the queue early - and not ridiculously early either, like 5am, but just, say 8am. Like others I'm not knocking those of you who buy a Gold Pass, just curious as to the main incentive to do so.

I'd also like to thank all the Gold Pass holders who failed to attend the Alan/Nathan talk on Saturday, thereby giving those of us "stuck" behing your reserved seating a lovely clear view of the stage :D

do u have a problem with people from wigan? :blush::huh: