• Manchester
    • Edinburgh
    • Bournemouth
    • Other - Please State

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Birmingham as its easy to get to from most places ,its quite central and its Tolkien's home town!

SW England is no where near central and is hard and expensive to get too. If u live in the North its as far south as u can get(apart from the IoW :D )

Edited by menmeryiset

Bournemouth is good, been to the BIC a few times and this would be a great venue. :(

But from where I am the transport links to Birmingham and Oxford are good and I can see that they have strong links to the man himself.

bournemouth, it has cheap hotels and b n b,you got the beaches, lots of pubs the bic confrence complex by the sea, it easy to get to we have airports, trains and we havent had a sci fi cons down here just sport.

i agree. bournemouth would be good!

I've voted for Brum, as it's nearby has good Tolkien connections and great rail, road and air links. I don't know about venues, other than the place by the airport or NIA but Tolkien2005 happened at Aston University which is just outside the city centre - mind you the dates for Ring*Con are probably in term time. That last point would also rule out Oxford as a venue too, the hotels there aren't very big and the colleges while pretty would be rather busy.

Still maybe if the con is in Brum it could run some kind of coach trip for the people that haven't been there before?

Brighton would be great too...We had a World Con here...

Plus it's near to Gatwick, so the Stars can get here very easy too...

Brighton is handy for the airport, but wasn't that WorldCon in 1987! :YAHOO:

Edited by D20

I voted for Birmingham too but i think Yorkshire would also be a good place cos i dont see any events/conventions happening there and blackpool is a good place too.

Leeds does have a Tolkien connection, but are there any suitable venues there? I've never been there so ...

I voted for Birmingham too but i think Yorkshire would also be a good place cos i dont see any events/conventions happening there and blackpool is a good place too.

Leeds does have a Tolkien connection, but are there any suitable venues there? I've never been there so ...

The crowne plaza in leeds might be big enough but i've not been inside to know for sure. its in the hotel range I work for and its one of the best in the company. though i still think birmingham would be the best place. its central, easy to get to not just driving or by train but for those coming from other countries. I can't say a 3 hour journey from the airport like we have going to germany would be as practicle as having birmingham international nearby

Either Birmingham or London would be my choices. I'm another of the Devon people and although I don't think bringing the event this far down the country would be a good idea - it would be unfair on people coming down from up country and not the best arrangement for people coming from overseas as the nearest long(ish)-haul airport is Bristol (and the links in aren't that comprehensive) - I also think that going too far up country is equally awkward for people coming from down here. For absolute ease of transport from everywhere, the best option would probably be London because the whole transport network is geared towards there (whether we like it or not... there isn't even a motorway past Exeter, imagine trying to explain the A38 to people who've never driven over here!!!) but for general fairness and reasonable travelling times, Birmingham is accessible, obviously has a lot of Tolkien links and has good air links as well. Just my 2p :YAHOO:

Edited by Wyvern

Manchester or the lovely town of Buxton where there's lots of hills and things like in Hobbiton hehe :D I have the hobbit's interests at heart, they would feel most at home here lol

Please Showmasters xxxxxxxxxxxx

bournemouth, it has cheap hotels and b n b,you got the beaches, lots of pubs the bic confrence complex by the sea, it easy to get to we have airports, trains and we havent had a sci fi cons down here just sport.

Living in Poole, Bournemouth gets my vote. It would be great to go to an event and not driving for 3+ hours to get there.

Well - I voted for Birmingham because of the Tolkien connection - but London would be good too (I live there) :thumbup: - or there's always Cardiff (I used to live there!) for somewhere completely different :rolleyes: ... Cardiff Castle would be a magical setting ....or even Castell Coch?

Edited by Voronwe

HAS to be London.....follow-up to the another show and easy access for the whole world (well, Europe anyway!). Do I live there? Of course...but I'm not biased!

By the way...hello...I.m New!

:wub:

Edited by rococco

I have to say Cardiff.

I live in Wales and it really is one of the most beautiful places.

Cardiff is an amazing, beautiful city with very good linkd from many places, lots of nice, reasonably priced places to stay and some very good places for the convention to be hald.

Wales seems to have been completely missed from all SM's events, give it a chance, you'll not regret it! It's only 2 and half hours from Londinuim!

• 4 weeks later...