Promoting New Guests For Better Future Guests

showmasters

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't you just taking us all for mugs and getting the people you make pay to enter this event to now give you free advertising as well? Whats next? Will we be expected to pay for the guests arrange their accomodation and flights as well? Ive never heard of any other event asking this what a damned cheek. Just say no people

• Showmasters Admin
Aren't you just taking us all for mugs and getting the people you make pay to enter this event to now give you free advertising as well? Whats next? Will we be expected to pay for the guests arrange their accomodation and flights as well? Ive never heard of any other event asking this what a damned cheek. Just say no people

It makes sense that they don't have time to do official adverts now so they ask that WE spread the word, so that the new guests get as many ppl as possible, because this can help to get more guests in the future. All SM is asking is that we all do what we'd normally do anyway. They're asking that you let like minded ppl know that these guests are going to the event.

For example if you were on a forum for Alien films, would you not post that Michael Biehn was going to be at LFCC2 anyway? Well maybe you wouldn't but most of us would as it helps others. All that they've asked is that we as supporters of the events let others know who's going to be there.

What is SO bad about that?

It makes sense that they don't have time to do official adverts now so they ask that WE spread the word, so that the new guests get as many ppl as possible, because this can help to get more guests in the future. All SM is asking is that we all do what we'd normally do anyway. They're asking that you let like minded ppl know that these guests are going to the event.

For example if you were on a forum for Alien films, would you not post that Michael Biehn was going to be at LFCC2 anyway? Well maybe you wouldn't but most of us would as it helps others. All that they've asked is that we as supporters of the events let others know who's going to be there.

I would kinda have to agree with the reaper on this one. Its called 'word of mouth' been done for years why now do they have to advertise that we do this. People on here have been posting that they do this anyway, SO why do they need to ask us to do what we already do anyway.

I know someone is going to post we need to give something back to them after all they have done for us. Don't get me wrong, I am more then greatful for what they have done for us over the years. But I pay more then enough to see these guests and get into the event, I think I do more then enough to line there pockets, what more do they want from us. :lol:

:blink:

LLAP :lol:

• Showmasters Admin

I would kinda have to agree with the reaper on this one. Its called 'word of mouth' been done for years why now do they have to advertise that we do this. People on here have been posting that they do this anyway, SO why do they need to ask us to do what we already do anyway.

I know someone is going to post we need to give something back to them after all they have done for us. Don't get me wrong, I am more then greatful for what they have done for us over the years. But I pay more then enough to see these guests and get into the event, I think I do more then enough to line there pockets, what more do they want from us. :lol:

:blink:

LLAP :lol:

You've just said yourself that we already do it, so what's the harm in SM asking for us to do it. This is an odd situation were they've had a number of big names announced at the last minute. They don't have time to get the info out themselves so they've asked us to help. SM are correct that if a big guest comes and sells only a few autos, that guest is going to A: Not come again. B: Tell others not to bother. Yes we do all pay to go, but we're helping ourselves as much as SM. You're also helping other ppl that may not come on here and would really like to see one of the guests that has just been announced.

It's not like they're asking you to go out and put up posters or send out leaflets. They're asking us to do what we already do. They're asking for help, what is so bad about that? If you don't want to help then fine, don't, but why complain that SM have asked?

I know someone is going to post we need to give something back to them after all they have done for us. Don't get me wrong, I am more then greatful for what they have done for us over the years. But I pay more then enough to see these guests and get into the event, I think I do more then enough to line there pockets, what more do they want from us. ;)

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

I totally agree : I'm going to spend about 200 £ at the event, so this is my answer to thank SM for the great event they are organizing. I always help promoting the events I'm going to and/or the guests that I know friends are interested in. I mean, I do that all the time and for every good event that's worth it. So I don't see their point here although I can understand the situation. Also, there are much more registered users on this board than on any other board, so I'm pretty sure that a lot of people already know that Michael Biehn (for example) is coming to LFCC2.

• Moderators

I know someone is going to post we need to give something back to them after all they have done for us. Don't get me wrong, I am more then greatful for what they have done for us over the years. But I pay more then enough to see these guests and get into the event, I think I do more then enough to line there pockets, what more do they want from us. :hathor:

Where's the harm in asking? It's not like it's been said OH YOU BETTER ADVERTISE OUR SHOWS OR ELSE WE'LL NOT LET U IN!! or something rediculous like that. Can you really blame an organiser for wanting to get their show out their in the public eye and known to as many people as possible? I don't think so.

What it obviously stems from is the late influx of new guests - as most people will know, the deadlines on magazines are very tight and so adverts would have to be in WAY before the actual release date. Even this morning I saw an advert in an insert in The Mirror newspaper and the latest guest on there was Burt Reynolds from what I could tell. So that means that Michael has been missed off, and I think Nick Frost too - imagine if people wanted to see them but only read Empire or something, and so believed that they were not attending? Plus, it's sound business sense to get as much free advertising as possible .. no one is MAKING you do it, it was a simple request and they did it because they know some people are actually willing to help the cause.

In the end, it is actually to your OWN benefit that you do this. "Promoting New Guests For Better Future Guests" --- it's a simple logical move. Take the wrestlers that appeared at Collectormania 6 - word of mouth and exposure meant that wrestling fans that would NOT normally attend a "sci-fi/cult convention" of sorts ACTUALLY turned up! Both Test and Stacy seemed happy with how they had done, but would not have been if the proper advertising etc hadn't been done. So if they hadn't been successful, that would have all but killed any future chance of getting more wrestlers at an event! But it's not because there's not a fan base out there! It's all about AWARENESS.

Many people have made the point in the past that not everyone has the Internet. This is very true, and so people who are stuck reading out of date adverts in newspapers or magazines will not be AWARE as much as we are! But, to spread the word over other forums (that allow it of course!), mentioning it in relevant chat rooms, on websites etc .. talking to your friends, simple stuff like that .. maybe THEY have friends who aren't online but WOULD be interested!

At the end of the day, it was a simple friendly request, it wasn't a demand and if you feel like you shouldn't put the effort in and they're taking liberties then fine, u don't do it. But we all want this show to be a success - and they've often said it's down to the fans that it's a success ... this is one time that perhaps we can make it even more of a success, and what's REALLY so bad about that? Nothing ...

Yeah this repeats a lot of what has been said by some people but it needs to be reiterated because some people ALWAYS come on here just to be totally negative, complain about EVERYTHING, and no matter what is done they'll never ever be happy. I find it quite pathetic that people can find the time to come on here and bitch about every last thing, but not find the time to help out in advertising something that so many people enjoy and wish to be a success. Luckily, those negative people are in the minority, and one day maybe u'll find something better to do.

Don't get me wrong : I don't blame SM for asking that. It's just that it seems obvious to me that people here are advertising the guests announced and spread the word. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people are already aware of the last guest announcements ! :hathor:

Dont really have an opinion on this, i can understand why SM want us to advertise, and i can also understand why ppl think this is cheeky. One thing i must point out though, if we do advertise there will be more ppl there which will mean we have to queue for longer!

(just jokin bout last bit)

I agree with reaper. You say that they get you great guests but it's in their interest to get great guests anyway so no plus's there. I think they should at least offer some kind of benefit if they ask you to do this, discounted autographs or maybe lowering prices etc. There is a kind of slave labour element to the whole thing, and it does seem that they are taking you for 'mugs' as reaper put it.

Blimey, anyone would think SMs are asking people to stand on street corners handing out flyers. There's nothing wrong with mentioning it on any fansites that people go on. This is an unusual situation where the most popular guests are last minute. For example, think of all the Spaced/SotD fans out there that might not know of the opportunity to meet Simon and Nick, as perhaps they don't normally go to sci-fi cons.

Personally, I agree with Embo - I want those guests all to myself! (Joking..maybe :P)

;)

For F*#!s sake!! Grow up!!!

All Showmasters have asked is for us to tell people who we know but are not members of the forum the new guests that have been announced so that the new guests get to meet lots of their fans and then go away telling other 'celebraties' that SM events are good and that they should attend them - AS SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

If you don't want to then do not!!!

Personally I have no problem with telling others as it benefits US ALL

and do already do this :(;):P

Edited by CHRIS !!

• Moderators
Can I just check if we are telling people about the cancellations as well ;)

Of course, if they're still advertised which I don't think they are from the adverts I've seen (although they could be in magazines) then people have a right to know .. that's just the problem with deadlines, as much as they can't promote new guests, they can't inform people about cancellations either.

well i talk all the time about SM events. so i guess i am always advertising them. i dont mind at all that SM have asked us to help out. they do hell of a lot and i am more than will to give something back in return for all that they have given me.

not that its that hard .... i do it any way!

showmasters... you guys are great!

=x=

I back the whole "spread the word" theory ;) , and if Biehn, Kotto, Reynolds etc go home praising SMs and "gigging" for them to their actor mates, it can only have a positive effect for future shows, no question.

BUT :D ! We are talking about SHOWMASTERS here. You know, - mention that an actor is in the country, let alone that they are attending a rival show, and entire threads will be deleted !!

I love the lineup for LFACC2 as well as anyone, but surely we need some balance ? Corin Nemec, Lance Henriksen, Christopher Judge ? SMs have to accept that their forum attracts a group of people with common interests who WILL discuss those interests ... somewhere. If it takes place here and feeds back into the whole autograph / con culture in the long run, surely it can only be to SMs benefit, and should rank significantly higher than some schoolyard squabble they have with at least one other organiser ?

THEN, and only then can they have the nerve to ask us to do what a lot of us are doing anyway through a love of the passtime ! ;);):wub:

I've made my point ...........

ummm me thinks tis a bit late now to promote LFACC2, would be a bit short notice to tell people who have to come from far away (cause I'm not an MK resident)..... :D

and also everyone I know who is "like-minded" about sci-fi etc guests are already going :P yey! :rolleyes:

surfy sah xx

ps-I am not entirely certain WHERE to promote SM events, as discussing of other events or even store signings etc is banned on all the forums of the different organisers and that's where I know people from who like these genres of guests?!?! :P

would have done the Forbidden Planet thing but think it a bit late now, spesh as I won't be in town till Weds :P