AUTOGRAPH PRICES AT C6 ! ! ! ! !

TD - you could just get a pic with the guest like I have done.  :yoda:

nah - he wants his auto for free tooo!!!!!

And he wants the guest to choose the photo and take it back to the seat, sign it and spend an hour talking to them!

nah, an hour wouldn't be enough - he'd want to go through every role they've ever been in and maybe repeat half the lines they've ever said!!!!!

why don't we let him be the only guest(?!?)

:D:P :P

What the hell was all that about?

I say that £25 is a ripoff and I'm immediately public enemy number 1?

Oh yes I'm sorry any opinions that differ from those within this little coven are not allowed?

I'm getting in touch with showmasters, hopefully I'll get a sensible repsonse.

I do agree Tenacious that the above qoute was a little out of order. If there is a debate going on, then there is no need to bitch about people.

Tenacious it was good debating with you this afternoon.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I think it's very nice that for once the prices have been announced so people can budget! It's not like u've not got time to save up now, so there's no point in bitching! They're not gonna be like "ooooh he doesn't like our price, we better lower it!!".

To be honest, I bet it took quite a lot of negotiating to get the situation with Carrie Fisher that we ARE getting, and I'm sure we're very lucky! Sure, some things like guest suggestions etc are constructive, but bitching about prices ISN'T because that's the way it's gonna be!

I wasn't going to get involved with the argument, but I feel you've missed a couple of points.

I too remember the days of £5 and £10 autographs, in fact, depending on where you go, I'm sure you can get the guy that played the fifth stormtrooper from the left in scene 70 of The Empire Strikes Back to sign your own poster for a fiver.

The truth of the matter is that unfortunately (for you obviously), the caliber of guests has risen sharply in the last couple of years, and companys like Showmasters are now able to make it possible for people like you and I to meet our heroes and heroines.

Sure we have to pay for the chance, but in this day and age of high security and the world and it's brother seeming to have a phalanx of security guards surrounding them when they as much as go for a ****, it's not particularly feasible to meet *most* of these people outside of a convention.

You said that you value your Ewan McGregor autograph because you got to see his show, then wait around for him to exit the theatre, the anticipation, the autograph and the handshake. I value my Temuera Morrison autograph, although I paid for the priveledge, I stood in the queue, knowing that he'd sign the autograph for me (you have to admit, a lot of the time waiting outside theatres can be a fruitless and depressing exercise), waiting untill it was my turn, speaking with him about a couple of his roles, getting him to sign my poster, getting a photo with him, a handshake and a goodbye, without it feeling like he was rushing to get into a car.

I respect your opinion on this, but you have to admit, you sound like a lone voice being drowned in the general hubbub.

It's a shame that you don't feel you'll be able to attend Collectormania because of it, but it really is your own loss.

As for simply rubbishing other peoples opinions and calling forum members anything from sheep to being stupid, I find this offensive, especially for someone as new to the board as you obviously are.

Take some time out, learn what life in this day and age is all about, and come back and post when you can make your opinion known in a civil manner.

Edited by ptenbob

Thanks ptenbob for being rational and saying pretty much what I wanted to say.

Before I go into a rant a quick message. Vamps Lawrence said Hi!

And now..

For gods sake be reasonable, most cons don't bother telling you prices, SM are being nice enough to give us notice so we can budget and save for the ones we want. It's something to do with Showmasters not only running a business here, they are also fans! And yeah you may think everyone on here is sticking up for the prices, so we should, we go to all the events run by these guys because not only do they not overcharge, they are also wonderful friendly guys who will take the time out to stand and listen to the fans and take their suggestions on board to improve the events.

I myself would never have dreamed I could ever dream of meeting some of the amazing people I've had the chance to chat with, personally the £15-£20 I've paid to stand and have a few moments with someone that I admire and respect has been worth every penny.

And for the people moaning about being students and not having money, well I'm a single mum on benefits raising two children, I do this amazing thing, I go without treats, stupid stuff like chocolate and magazines and save for the autos I want, and every single one I have is on my wall framed and i don't regret spending a damn penny. All my life I will be able to look at each and every one and remember the moment I met someone amazing who in a small way changed my life.

All hats off to showmasters, well except Jason who had to be poked into a hug at the weekend! :angel:

Stop whining people, the guests are brilliant and you should be amazed at the line up!

I wasn't going to get involved in this either, but after reading through through all this, I would like to add a few things as well.

Before I was at Collectormania 4, I only attended the other type of events. Those week end cons were the guests are giving talks over the day and sign autographs in the afternoon.

Prices for those have risen from about 60 pounds to 80 as well. Yet you pay extra for the photos, and extra for pictures to sign if you don't have anything. Don't forget the photo sessions either. These events only have let's say 6 or maybe 8 guests and you can't choose who you want autographs from. One autograph of each guest is included in the ticket price on an item of your choice for free.

I am booked for one of these events now where I unfortunately have already met all attending guests so far. If I had had the chance to choose, I would have preferred other people to spend my money on.

Events like Collectormania give me the chance to make a choice. Plus I get much more value for my money there. If we're not talking about Elijah sized queues, getting a picture and even a small chat is normally no problem. At other events, you get hurried away.

I can see where TenaciousD is coming from. But other people have made their point as well.

Everything is getting more expensive. Since we got the Euro in Germany, the prices are almost on the same level as they were in marks - and the conversation rate was 2 Marks for one Euro.

So I am certainly not complaining about autograph prices - I've seen much worse at a German event in May BTW!

I've saved up for C6, and due to the price list posted I've made some decisions what I want to afford. Thanks for posting that list, Showmasters!

Just my two cents...

[

Billy Boyd was £15 when I met him the first time he was ever at a Collectormania. No entry fee. £15

First ever London Film And Comic Con, his price went up to £20.

And you were charged on entry fee.

Hi all,

I don't want to get involved in this argument, and am not going to, but I just wanted to state that Billy did NOT go up to £20 at LFACC, he was still £15!

Mark

TD Not the kind of guy to say I told you so.....But......

:D:(

I did say if you bothered to read the post that i was prepared to stand corrected.

It must feel wonderful to be right all the time. There really is no better feeling than pointing out others shortcomings is there?

Nope... :D

You deserved that though mate

First off this has nothing to do with the prices, they are okay in my opinion, or at least fairly reasonable, even if I do think a few of the higher ones could do with being lowered as they were cheaper at other shows (100% increase on Nick Brendon?) But I do applaud Showmasters in announcing them up front. I only wish they had announced all of them (where are Margot Kidder and the other already announced Star Wars people?, and why not do the Comic Con while we're at it?)

What annoys me about this forum is that you lot are a load of sheep, as someone put it. Tenacious D is entitled to his opinion and should therefore be allowed to express it freely without being shouted down, as should any of us. Ive been a victim of the way you all close in and ostracise those who do not follow and worship at the Showmasters alter too, so I understand where how Tenacious must be feeling. Now whether you've all been brainwashed or something I don't know, but at times it feels like we're posting on the Invasion of the Body Snatchers board around here and there are a few willing to give an honest opinion while being attacked by 'pod people'.

Its a forum, its for debate.

Thanks ptenbob for being rational
This made me laugh. This guy gets applauded for being rational? Yet his post is very demeaning to Tenacious D.
Take some time out, learn what life in this day and age is all about, and come back and post when you can make your opinion known in a civil manner.
For example. And
I respect your opinion on this, but you have to admit, you sound like a lone voice being drowned in the general hubbub.
nice backhanded compliment there. You obviously have a very high opinion of yourself ptenbob, which is good as it balances the very low opinion I have of you after those comments.

And as for attacking the guy for getting his autographs at the theatre???? I say good luck to him. There have been greater people appearing at theatres across the UK like Dame Judi Dench, Gillian Anderson, Alyson Hannigan, Ian McKellan and the aforementioned Ewan MacGregor all of which have signed for free, and I know its a greater feeling having achieved something like that than standing in a convention queue. You feel that you have actually achieved something by tracking the person down and actually obtaining the autograph rather than going shopping for one at a convention where the chances are fair that you will get it. Its all about the thrill of the hunt.

I think if somebody has an opinion, even if it is against the organisers and is issued in respectful way, you should let it be. Like it or not you do all blindly bow to whatever Showmasters say and do, and that is not an attack on them, just to say that sometimes they do not always get it right, and I'm sure they are willing to take constructive criticism on board as it can only help the shows.

Finally I want to say to Tenacious that I fully support your right to have your say, despite what the Body Snatchers may say. Ignore them, do it your way.

First off this has nothing to do with the prices, they are okay in my opinion, or at least fairly reasonable, even if I do think a few of the higher ones could do with being lowered as they were cheaper at other shows (100% increase on Nick Brendon?) But I do applaud Showmasters in announcing them up front. I only wish they had announced all of them (where are Margot Kidder and the other already announced Star Wars people?, and why not do the Comic Con while we're at it?)

What annoys me about this forum is that you lot are a load of sheep, as someone put it. Tenacious D is entitled to his opinion and should therefore be allowed to express it freely without being shouted down, as should any of us. Ive been a victim of the way you all close in and ostracise those who do not follow and worship at the Showmasters alter too, so I understand where how Tenacious must be feeling. Now whether you've all been brainwashed or something I don't know, but at times it feels like we're posting on the Invasion of the Body Snatchers board around here and there are a few willing to give an honest opinion while being attacked by 'pod people'.

This made me laugh. This guy gets applauded for being rational? Yet his post is very demeaning to Tenacious D.
For example. And
nice backhanded compliment there. You obviously have a very high opinion of yourself ptenbob, which is good as it balances the very low opinion I have of you after those comments.

And as for attacking the guy for getting his autographs at the theatre???? I say good luck to him. There have been greater people appearing at theatres across the UK like Dame Judi Dench, Gillian Anderson, Alyson Hannigan, Ian McKellan and the aforementioned Ewan MacGregor all of which have signed for free, and I know its a greater feeling having achieved something like that than standing in a convention queue. You feel that you have actually achieved something by tracking the person down and actually obtaining the autograph rather than going shopping for one at a convention where the chances are fair that you will get it. Its all about the thrill of the hunt.

I think if somebody has an opinion, even if it is against the organisers and is issued in respectful way, you should let it be. Like it or not you do all blindly bow to whatever Showmasters say and do, and that is not an attack on them, just to say that sometimes they do not always get it right, and I'm sure they are willing to take constructive criticism on board as it can only help the shows.

Finally I want to say to Tenacious that I fully support your right to have your say, despite what the Body Snatchers may say. Ignore them, do it your way.

I take what you say on board Reaper, I was of that opinion when I joined this board, but after being to 3 collectormanias,1 LFCC and other None Showmaster shows, ive had a change of heart, after spedning nearly and hour with Jason Joiner (SM) on Sat on teh NEC, I didnt really appreciate what went into getting this sort of thing organised and the incredible cost that it incurs, £250,000 on flights back and forth to the USA alone!!

So before you tag up with TD, I think it will be worth YOU spending a few mintues with one of the organisers at C6 or LFCC2 and get to know there business more and what exactly it enatails to organise something like this...

I just want to say that everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is what makes a good debate. Im sure there are some things that Tenacious and I or others would agree on that others disagree on. Everyone has valid points and I must admit, having only been to one showmasters event and no others its hard for me to say yes showmasters events are the best as I've nothing to compare them with. However, C5 was extremely well organised, the crew were helpful, the guests were great and willing to chat to you without being rushed. I can only imagine the amount of time and effort that is put into organising such an event and admire showmasters for all the work they do.

And as for attacking the guy for getting his autographs at the theatre???? I say good luck to him.

Ah, The Reaper, I wondered if you'd be around to point out my shortcomings again.

If you read carefully, you'll notice I *didn't* attack TD for getting his autographs at a theatre, and I also wish him luck, I merely pointed out that as he enjoys getting his autographs by standing around waiting at a theatre, I enjoy going to this type of event and getting autographs there.

Also, I'll agree with you that there have been some terrific names appearing at theatres across the country in the last couple of years, you have to admit that a few of them (naming no names) have garnered themselves reputations for refusing to sign autographs.

It's all subjective, here, you have your preferences, TD has his, I have mine.

As for your comparisons to the Pod People, now who's being demeaning?

I gather that from your comments, your whole problem is with me? Fair enough, I've got broad enough shoulders, I can handle that. You have a low opinion of me? again, fair enough, you've never met me, you've never engaged in any conversation other than attacking me in the Blade 2 guests thread for making a joke - which you took very badly indeed, and on here where it seems that my comments formed some sort of anathema to you.

If you have anything further to say on the matter, I for one would be happy to settle it in a civilised manner at C6, over a pint - there's more than a few decent watering holes in Milton Keynes.

It was never my intention to annoy you or **** you off Reaper, I think maybe we got off on the wrong foot. I'm offering my hand in peace and friendship here - let's put all this behind us all, it does no good for anyone.

For example. And

I take what you say on board Reaper, I was of that opinion when I joined this board, but after being to 3 collectormanias,1 LFCC and other None Showmaster shows, ive had a change of heart, after spedning nearly and hour with Jason Joiner (SM) on Sat on teh NEC, I didnt really appreciate what went into getting this sort of thing organised and the incredible cost that it incurs, £250,000 on flights back and forth to the USA alone!!

So before you tag up with TD, I think it will be worth YOU spending a few mintues with one of the organisers at C6 or LFCC2 and get to know there business more and what exactly it enatails to organise something like this...

Hi there

For what it's worth , here's my two-pennorth ( ? ) .

I read all the attacking of TD , and , while some of his points were confused , and some downright contradictory , I also agreed with some of them . SOME PEOPLE are being priced out of meeting the stars and getting their things signed .

All the reasons why SM must charge this much money to bring over the guests , and that they might make a £25000 loss on some guests , mean absolutely nothing to people who don't have the ability to afford to meet them and buy their autograph . Opinions are weird in that they don't always have to be rational - to some thet can be daft - but you can't always help how you feel , and people don't always know the whole reason for your opinion .

I love the SM shows that I have been to , but I also get a little mad at the prices . I always try to save enough to get all the autographs I want but it is sometimes a very expensive weekend ( the upside of that is obviously because there are better guests ) .

As for spending time with Jason and the gang , you really don't need to to know that they do a great job , the shows are the proof in the pudding . But , saying that , they are not infallible - they also make some mistakes ( see the earlier post about losing all that money on one guest ) . Most people seem to be sticking up for them blindly , but , funnily enough , I believe that they take a lot of notice about CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM - that is how they keep bettering themselves with the shows . So there really isn't any need to keep ganging up on people who post questions regarding SM - they can stick up for themselves , and they can use the right kind of criticism to help improve their product .

I also think that this year they have been taking a lot of notice about our guest suggestions - as soon as one particular guest has been mentioned quite a lot ( or one particular programme or film ) , they suddenly appear on the guest list .

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK SM , AND KEEP LEARNING FROM YOUR ( mainly small ) MISTAKES . :D

And as for you lot on both sides of the argument , I think you could maybe cut down on the offensive remarks ( calling people names ? how old are you ? ) , and bullying tactics being used ( if people have a different opinion than you it doesn't always make them wrong ) .

If you can't be friendly , can't you at least be polite :D

• Moderators

What annoys me about this forum is that you lot are a load of sheep, as someone put it.

(1) Personally I'm not surprised at Nick Brendon being £20 ... the only other places I've seen him signing are at exclusive Buffy events, which u have to pay set prices for the whole event n blah blah blah ... it all adds up and personally I can't afford to go to them. Someone could turn up, walk in the shopping centre, meet Nick for £20 and go home .. that could be all they have to pay, not like the amount they'd have to pay at another event, so that's why I'm personally happy with that price. Obviously other people have different situations and so don't have to meet Nick if they feel it's unreasonable but I can see the reasons why it would be this price, and it's a good opportunity for people like me who can't afford other events. No entrance fee etc ...

(2) The fact that Showmasters have announced ANY prices whatsoever is great, and I'd imagine if everything else was sorted out then they'd be announced too ... surely they can only announce what they've finalised? I know it's annoying but I'm sure most people would rather have quite a lot announced like we have had, than keeping the prices back and waiting a while until ALL of them are finalised. At least this offers *some* chance for budgeting, which has never happened before, so it's a good move.

(3) We are not sheep. I'm not anyway. The fact is that I'll stand up for what I believe in, and like many people have said, I believe in all the hard work that the organisers put in, all the effortt that they have to go through to bring us what we get. It's easy enough to sit behind a computer and demand this n that and expect to get it, but some people forget all the hard work that has to go into it! It's never as simple as OH I WANT CARRIE FISHER so one phonecall later she's appearing ... I'm sure many people have never talked to Showmasters and don't have any idea what they have to go through. We don't "worship" anyone, we're just respectful and patient - our opinions are as honest as yours, we're not brainwashed, we just accept that they're doing the best job that they can. Many people will go straight into a guest announcement and say "oh he/she is ok, but can I have ...... instead?" - what's the point? There's so many guest request threads that people can request things in, so what's the need for negative comments? Like "oh I've met him before ..." or something, so what? Many fans will NOT have, and some people need to realise that these events are not tailor made for the needs of ONE particular fan.

(4) I absolutely agree with you in that we should let opinions be if they are "issued in a respectful way". The fact is sometimes they are NOT. We're allowed to debate with you as much as you are with us, but sometimes the things u say AREN'T in a respectful way. Like the thread about LFACC2 being inferior to C6 and someone commenting "Showmasters haven't had a bad event yet" ... you felt the need to post "yet" ... why? What's the point? In all honesty, if you can tell me how that comment helps anyone, how it's constructive, or "respectful" then do that ... but I don't see anything but negativity in that comment. The fact is that if you have such a one-track negative opinion of Showmasters and their events, then you shouldn't come to the events OR post on the forum - that comment isn't aimed just at u, but at ANYONE who feels that way. No-one is ever forced to come to these events, or post on here! At the end of the day, many of us accept what we're given because we know we're given the best that we can get, and moaning constantly isn't gonna help any. The organisers are MUCH more likely to be able to put on a GREAT event with our SUPPORT ... they'd get nowhere without the fans supporting them, building up this forum to a great community, and us going to their events! Constructive comments help MASSIVELY because they can improve on their shows from what we tell them. But ... it does have to be constructive, and, like u said, respectful ... and that's what some people lack, both for AND against Showmasters.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say ... I'm not arguing with anyone, or insulting them, so I hope that's acceptable . . .

O.K. I have waded my way through all those posts and lets try and bring a bit of balance into the argument/

Firstly, it is a positive move that Showmasters have revealed what the prices for the autos are going to be. Loads of people have asked for this , so they can plan ahead . I am not aware of any other event organisers doing this, so this should be applauded.

Secondly, everyone is in a position to decide how much they want to spend at the event . No one is forced to pay the price. We all decide whether to attend or not and which autos to get.

Thirdly, whilst a debate is healthy, it is a shame that some people (you know who you are) become rude and patronising on the threads. I hope you wouldn't do this if you were debating this face to face and I hope that you will treat the other forum members on here with respect.

Fourthly, for Showmasters to be successful they must make money out of these events, and they have a number of costs they need to cover, many of which have been raised in the thread. Be realistic, it is a business, but it is a business that does listen to fan requests and has brought over and given us all the opportunity of meeting many of our icons and heros which we wouldn't have the chance do so elsewhere.

I agree with Ptenbob and DavidB, Im not trying to belittle anyone, im just tryint to tell you what I know is a fact, from the horses mouth, they did lose £25,000 on bringing a guest over, thinking that he/she would be the most popular.

The comments made yesterday at TD were a bit of a low blow, but we was only reacting to some of the comments you made.

I think this all comes down to what an autograph means to you personally.

I know some people who just laugh out loud at the thought of paying any money for a name on a piece of paper and I know others who pay stupid prices for autographs from dealers for a signed photo. I would anyday of the week pay £15 or £20 to actually meet a guest, have them sign the photo in front of me and if I am lucky enough get a photo with them than just send off a letter and hoping for an autograph back or buying a signed photo from a dealer.

Now when it comes to how much you pay for that experience, people have alot of different ideas, like I said, some think you should get it for free and others dont even care if they meet the guest so it all comes down to your own personal preference. I personally feel that £25 for Carrie Fisher is quite fair just by going on how much she has charged at other events, I dont think this makes me a sheep or stupid but I would rather pay £25 to meet her, have a personalised autograph and get a posed photo with her than just not meet her at all and miss out on what could be my last chance to meet her, I am sure this is how alot of others feel.

I have to admit that when I first started going to signing events I was suprised by how much guests charged, I was expecting £5 or £10 not £15 so I couldnt get all the autographs I wanted but I learned a lesson and that was to save up all the money you can because if you enjoy meeting guests then having enough money to meet them is the only way to continue doing something that you enjoy and I am glad SM have announced the prices before hand as I have a better idea on how much I should bring.

Edited by Colonel Jack O'Neill

The comments made yesterday at TD were a bit of a low blow, but we was only reacting to some of the comments you made.

*opens a parachute a floats gently down to the keyboard*

Me, Ptenbob or DavidB????

Whoever they were aimed at I didn't resort to slanging until Gandalf The Black starting telling me to shut f***in up about bull****, then tiggerific agreed with his comments.

I followed up by calling you all sheep, two year olds and querying why Vamps! didn't understand why I decided to complain which she seemed to take well enough and replied with a reasonable answer.

Then you Beef Diddy chime in about me wanting the guest to pick a photo, talk with me for an hour etc.

*opens a parachute a floats gently down to the keyboard*

Me, Ptenbob or DavidB????

Whoever they were aimed at I didn't resort to slanging until Gandalf The Black starting telling me to shut f***in up about bull****, then tiggerific agreed with his comments.

I followed up by calling you all sheep, two year olds and querying why Vamps! didn't understand why I decided to complain which she seemed to take well enough and replied with a reasonable answer.

Then you Beef Diddy chime in about me wanting the guest to pick a photo, talk with me for an hour etc.

beef daddy???

Now whos taking the pi$$, and i chimed in, becuase YOU wasnt listening.