New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

22 hours ago, Nerd Who said:

I do the same, I try to think in advance what to say or how to greet guests so I’m not tongue-tied in the moment - I’m very shy as well and I tend to forget all my English when I’m nervous, since it’s not my native language :WINCE: I’m also trying to think what poses I want to do for photo ops and how to ask guests...

Because of how shy I am, thinking about what to say to a guest usually helps. However, I don't usually think too much about poses. I just go for a standard hugging pose, if it's okay with the guest, of course! Maybe I will ask for a different type of pose during photoshoots this year... :smile:

• Like 1

A good piece of advice I remembered earlier is always bring your cash in advance! No waiting in horrendous queues just to withdraw enough to meet a guest.

I've also found that £5 become a precious commodity towards the end of each day (for the £15, £25 etc guests). The volunteers at the tables have always been very gratful to me if I can pay for an auto using a £5 note to help top up their supplies. I always make sure to bring some with me 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tenaciouspirit said:

I've also found that £5 become a precious commodity towards the end of each day (for the £15, £25 etc guests). The volunteers at the tables have always been very gratful to me if I can pay for an auto using a £5 note to help top up their supplies. I always make sure to bring some with me 

Which is exactly why Ive been collecting any English notes since I left last year, most of which are fivers! :lol:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tenaciouspirit said:

A good piece of advice I remembered earlier is always bring your cash in advance! No waiting in horrendous queues just to withdraw enough to meet a guest.

Same experience :D When I suggested to pay 30 pounds in fivers that crew member was just sooooo happy :D

1 hour ago, tenaciouspirit said:

Same here.

Had a few happy crew members when I pay in fivers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wjbleming said:

Which is exactly why Ive been collecting any English notes since I left last year, most of which are fivers! :lol:

They are the new plastic £5's and £10?  Otherwise you might be in for a shock if you have any of the old paper ones. 

9 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

They are the new plastic £5's and £10?  Otherwise you might be in for a shock if you have any of the old paper ones. 

Correct me if I am wrong but if you do have one of the old ones you can go to a bank and exchange them to a new one?

5 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but if you do have one of the old ones you can go to a bank and exchange them to a new one?

Depends Chris, I think you still can with the £10's as the old ones only went out of circulation recently so will still be within the grace period but I don't know about the £5's as they changed over a while ago.  

I've looked it up and quoting newspapers re the £10: While some retailers, banks and building societies may still accept the old notes after the deadline, it is at their discretion so ring ahead to check their guidelines before making the trip to your local branch.  it will still be possible for Charles Darwin notes to be exchanged at the Bank of England for free, either by post or in person

The £5's have been out of circulation for nearly a year now so they will be trickier - You would have to ask your bank if they will exchange them or again it says as above to speak to the Bank of England.  Maybe drop them an email and see what they advise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raylenth said:

Depends Chris, I think you still can with the £10's as the old ones only went out of circulation recently so will still be within the grace period but I don't know about the £5's as they changed over a while ago.  

I've looked it up and quoting newspapers re the £10: While some retailers, banks and building societies may still accept the old notes after the deadline, it is at their discretion so ring ahead to check their guidelines before making the trip to your local branch.  it will still be possible for Charles Darwin notes to be exchanged at the Bank of England for free, either by post or in person

The £5's have been out of circulation for nearly a year now so they will be trickier - You would have to ask your bank if they will exchange them or again it says as above to speak to the Bank of England.  Maybe drop them an email and see what they advise.

Thanks!! Last year I received one old one at the con (£5), kept it as a souvenir. I usually prebook at my bank here some weeks before I go because I want alot of fivers, and 10. So will this year too. As my autograph list is floating even during the event I like to play it safe and just use cash. Some sellers will take card but I try to use cash only, always works even if it abit uncomfortable to have in the pocket sometimes. :D

11 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I know what you mean, I use all cash as well and sometimes it's meant I've been walking around with a lot of money!

Gonna use my new trousers I bought in January, multipocket ones and they work better than those I had last year, the pocket on those were weird and when I had all those notes in my right front pocket it looked..weird..big bump on the front..:blink:.. it was alright on Friday but I had only fivers on Saturday and I had to hand over all the cash to my company before I went to Miss Dormer for an auto, not with that bump on my shorts.. :wacko: hmm