Some thoughts about this years LFCC from Jason :-)

But since its gone to three days it sounds like it will just be ran in one hall on the Friday whilst the rest is set up.

Out of interest where did you read that, I may have missed it. There are quite a few guests who will be there on Friday and all the stalls will presumably be there as well so I'd think it'd be all set up already and set out the same as it will be for Saturday and Sunday.

I have certainly heard nothing about that either.

• Moderators

IMO the big announcement threads should stop. I think it sends the wrong message to people who are just randomly announced. Like they're not quite as important to the event!

I'm not aware of anyone thinking that. I'm sure people understand the need to promote and get the word out etc.

But since its gone to three days it sounds like it will just be ran in one hall on the Friday whilst the rest is set up.

Out of interest where did you read that, I may have missed it. There are quite a few guests who will be there on Friday and all the stalls will presumably be there as well so I'd think it'd be all set up already and set out the same as it will be for Saturday and Sunday.

I have certainly heard nothing about that either.

I was taking from Jason's closing post about the loss of Thursday, but I can see now I might have been mis-interpreting how he means 'be ready'.

'I think everyone knows that with the much bigger halls available to us we can space everything out so that there is the room to do all what you need on the Friday to be ready for the full on days on Sat and Sun. Tthis is the first year where we have the right amount of space. We feel so that everyone will be happy and be able to get around in a good way. So that's why the preview night is not happening.'

Edited by TerraHawk

IMO the big announcement threads should stop. I think it sends the wrong message to people who are just randomly announced. Like they're not quite as important to the event!

I'm not aware of anyone thinking that. I'm sure people understand the need to promote and get the word out etc.

You can still promote any guest without a few days of build up for some labelled big guests, and then others just going straight up.

• Like 2

I'm just curious if anyone knows why some guests get "the big announcement" thread and some don't? Is it up to SM and Jason? Usually those big announcements are guests that I don't know or have never even heard of!

I understand that those threads are supposed to be for fun, but again, the word BIG is such a questionable phrase in this case. Not coming up with any examples, but there would be plenty of them I'd like to name. Everybody has their opinion who is big and who isn't. I would prefer all the announcements coming from bushes, seeing Famke Janssen getting announced just like that was great!

I like this what you said, Dent_1! :coolthumb:

I was thinking that maybe for new guest announcements Showmasters want to hype up a bit, maybe they should simply do away with the word 'Big' or use it only in rare cases?

To be honest I hate it when people start getting defensive and I have to hear that everyone's idea of a 'big' guest is different. Well, sorry but no. Who is an important guest to meet will of course vary from fan to fan. But the Arnold Schwarzenneger or Stallone's of the world have massive, decades long careers that can't walk down the street without being mobbed by fans. You may not like them but they are BIG guests and should definitely have 'Big Guest' announcement threads. Sigourney Weaver, the Queen of sci-fi, and Michal J.Fox, an 80s movie icon are BIG guests.

It just seems that the word 'Big' gets people's imaginations going to the wildest possibilities meaning that no matter who gets announced, some will inevitably be disappointed their dream guest isn't attending. Then we always have varying levels moaning in that guest's thread (I have been guilty of this too), mods complain they have to clean up threads and we are always told a guest/agent may read negative comments and may be be put off from coming - something I would certainly not want to happen even if it was a guest I was not interested in meeting. But then again forum members understandably want to offer feedback. It's a bit of a catch-22.

Maybe moving forward we could see some more thoughtful thread intros that vaguely hint at who they could be:

- First Time Guest

- Great Return Guest

- Prolific Stunt Guest

- Classic Sci-Fi Movie Guest

- New Horror Guest

I think it would lead to a more exciting guessing game beforehand and would lead to less disappointed fans after the announcement is made.

• Moderators

Yes it's up to SM/Jason to decide, and it's a great way of getting hype for the show and increased social media activity etc.

It's very rare that a 'big' guest would be one that very few people have heard of.. even if it's someone I'm not interested in, I'm usually aware of who they are and why they're significant!

I'm just curious if anyone knows why some guests get "the big announcement" thread and some don't? Is it up to SM and Jason? Usually those big announcements are guests that I don't know or have never even heard of!

I understand that those threads are supposed to be for fun, but again, the word BIG is such a questionable phrase in this case. Not coming up with any examples, but there would be plenty of them I'd like to name. Everybody has their opinion who is big and who isn't. I would prefer all the announcements coming from bushes, seeing Famke Janssen getting announced just like that was great!

I like this what you said, Dent_1! :coolthumb:

I was thinking that maybe for new guest announcements Showmasters want to hype up a bit, maybe they should simply do away with the word 'Big' or use it only in rare cases?

To be honest I hate it when people start getting defensive and I have to hear that everyone's idea of a 'big' guest is different. Well, sorry but no. Who is an important guest to meet will of course vary from fan to fan. But the Arnold Schwarzenneger or Stallone's of the world have massive, decades long careers that can't walk down the street without being mobbed by fans. You may not like them but they are BIG guests and should definitely have 'Big Guest' announcement threads. Sigourney Weaver, the Queen of sci-fi, and Michal J.Fox, an 80s movie icon are BIG guests.

It just seems that the word 'Big' gets people's imaginations going to the wildest possibilities meaning that no matter who gets announced, some will inevitably be disappointed their dream guest isn't attending. Then we always have varying levels moaning in that guest's thread (I have been guilty of this too), mods complain they have to clean up threads and we are always told a guest/agent may read negative comments and may be be put off from coming - something I would certainly not want to happen even if it was a guest I was not interested in meeting. But then again forum members understandably want to offer feedback. It's a bit of a catch-22.

Maybe moving forward we could see some more thoughtful thread intros that vaguely hint at who they could be:

- First Time Guest

- Great Return Guest

- Prolific Stunt Guest

- Classic Sci-Fi Movie Guest

- New Horror Guest

I think it would lead to a more exciting guessing game beforehand and would lead to less disappointed fans after the announcement is made.

I believe it is SM that decide who does and who doesn't get a build up. If you actually look at what is said for each build up announcement, the wording has changed form guest to guest, it hasn't been "big guest" every time.

Yes it's up to SM/Jason to decide, and it's a great way of getting hype for the show and increased social media activity etc.

It's very rare that a 'big' guest would be one that very few people have heard of.. even if it's someone I'm not interested in, I'm usually aware of who they are and why they're significant!

Let's see now. This year there have been at least three "big guest announcement thread" -guests that I don't know, based on name and picture. One of them, Elden Henson, I got to know because I decided shortly after the announcement to get Netflix so I could see Daredevil. Before that, not a faintest idea. (and yes, I am now getting a photo and an auto) After the announcements, I always go and see them on imdb, but usually even after that, their work remains unknown to me.

I guess I'm just living inside my bubble that only includes my all-time favorite shows and movies, and the actors starring in them. :blush:

I guess I'm just living inside my bubble that only includes my all-time favorite shows and movies, and the actors starring in them. :blush:

I don't think your alone in thinking that I too am left sometimes scratching my head wondering who they are how ever even then I may know of their work etc I may not know their real names. The casing point was when Harold Perrineau was announced as at the time I was like who's he ? ( no disrespect to him if he's reading this lol ) and it wasn't until I read the post I was then like Oh My God its Link from the Matrix ! So I knew who Link was but not his real name how ever the real spooky thing was the fact that I was watching the Matrix when he was announced ! Crazy Huh ?

Again sometimes you forget who's been in what !

I'm frequently surprised when I watch an older film and I see someone who's name I now know and hadn't realised they were in it now matter how often I'd seen it before. But then, maybe that's why I like some of them as their smaller pre breakout performances filtered into my brain and unconsciously I do remember them.