Some thoughts about this years LFCC from Jason :-)

It's hard as we shouldn't assume they will have the same number or more guests each year, each event is different. With regards to the extra hall, I can't recall what was said at the time about it but it might have been mainly for the extra space, so things could be laid out better and movement around the building is easier, it may not have been specifically to increase the number of guests.

• Like 1

It was definitely not said that the extra hall would mean more guests.

I always took it as more space for a better layout - I stopped counting the comments that the space last year was nowhere near enough for the amount of guests after the third dozen. ;)

• Like 2

Hi Jason, id like to say a huge thank you to the line up you have this year and im over the moon with the rare guests as that's what I go for. can I just add here that with Amanda wyss pulling out and now lisa Wilcox can we PLEASE get Tuesday Knight from nightmare on elm st 4? she wants to come and lives not to far away. Also getting Rex smith and Julian sands just wow!!!! jon heder and so many more what a line up. you said public last year that LFCC 2016 will be bigger and better than 2015 and I have to say I didn't think you could BUT in my eyes you have done what you said you would. you have got some names that took my breath away when I read on here that they were coming so HUGE thank you to you and the guys behind the scenes at SM. have you thought about a showmasters app? so every time a new guest is lined up we get alerts? and it may just be me but I would LOVE to watch an hr long doc of the history of SM, the day to day runnings, bookings and what really happens to get these great people. interviews ect even if it was just sold at the film cons on dvd I really do think both ideas are a winner.

thanks again for everything.

Michael magee

I still need Tuesday Knight too :o

I was talking to her the other night and she said she really wants both days at Exeter and as Amanda wyss pull out she would be a great replacement. also lisa Wilcox has pulled out of Bournemouth so im praying sm get Tuesday knight. shes contacted them but not heard back just yet. with so much going on with getting things ready I hope there is still time to book a new one?

Nightmare guests are always some of the nicest :)

do you think there is enough time to get Tuesday Knight for Exeter? shes in the uk at the min and don't live to far from the venue. she said she would love to do both days :) and with Amanda pulling out what a better replacement?

Chubby, I totally understand you are excited about that idea and would really like Tuesday to come. But neither David nor the other mods are involved with guest negotiations. And even if we were we would not be allowed to comment. So all you'll get in Response is the good old "maybe". ;)

In 2010, I traveled to London only to attend LFCC and see William Shatner.

[insert money problems]

In 2015, I was unable to attend LFCC and was incredibly sad I didn't get to meet all the BTTF guests. Star lineup indeed!

This year, I am traveling for other things and just wanted to attend LFCC since I'll be "in the area" - but right now, I'm only planing to meet 2 guests. I am hoping the Friday big guest will save the day. Less quantity but more quality is often times better.

Edited by LucasCZ

It was definitely not said that the extra hall would mean more guests.

I always took it as more space for a better layout - I stopped counting the comments that the space last year was nowhere near enough for the amount of guests after the third dozen. ;)

Thank god, if anything we don't need even more guests than last year :P

Just wondering how many guests are roughly going this year that is planned? Except the cancellations

As you well know Showmasters will never comment on this sort of thing.

worth a try anyway keep up the work you guys and gals are doing use are awesome and should pat each other on the back

I gotta say that putting all guests onto one floor this year is going to make it even easier for myself and my mom as well as anyone else whom is disabled or cannot walk very far, I found last year to become very cramped and the fact that people were pushing you into stalls when walking to the other side to get to other guests made me irritated and angry. Also the fact that if you couldn't get to one place for your photoshoot, you would miss it because of said crowd.

• Showmasters Admin

Firstly Im not trying to bash the organisers, but I do want to give some feedback. I understand in some respects the lineup is subjective based on preference, but I do think the top end guests are short from last year. Sigourney is an A list actor and Michael J Fox is an icon, I had no interest in meeting Michael but still acknowledge his status. There are some good solid guests, but no one in the calibre of the above two. Dont get me wrong some nice guests, but Jason youve said about previously spoiling people. Unfortunately when you set the bar high people expect it to remain there. I think we showed last year that we would pay for this calibre of guests I can completely understand that these types of guest arent available this year, but it does feel like a step back from last year.

a step back :-) right :-) well if you can point me to a one stop guest shop and i can put my order my guests that would be great , MJF took me 5 years to close not 6 months or a year we work on guests for years and they agree to come along when they feel like it not when i need them or book them :-) it is was simple every event would book them , its not just the fans coming up to the bar its the guests wanting to do it , but as long as we have the strong event ready for when they do decide to come along then we will make the magic happen , so support the shows and we will deliver it might not be this year or next but we will deliver like we have for the past 20 years . we love what we do here and we all work each day each week and all though out the year for you to have that chance to meet that legend however big or small that guest maybe , its all good , talk soon Jason

• Like 5

• Showmasters Admin

tha

I gotta say that putting all guests onto one floor this year is going to make it even easier for myself and my mom as well as anyone else whom is disabled or cannot walk very far, I found last year to become very cramped and the fact that people were pushing you into stalls when walking to the other side to get to other guests made me irritated and angry. Also the fact that if you couldn't get to one place for your photoshoot, you would miss it because of said crowd.

we were very limited with what halls we had last year and thats why this year we know all these things have been fixed and the event will be much more fun for everyone including us :-)

It's a business run by fans for fans, and none of us here want to see Showmasters overstretch, struggle or go bust!

This is my 10th LFCC in a row and I think this line up - 6 weeks out - is still very impressive from my view (at the moment I want nearly 30 photoshoots)

Maybe with less overall guests attending and with the addition of the grand hall, the event will hit a level which provides a better experience for the fans.

As great as last year's lineup was, for me it wasn't as enjoyable as previous years LFCC's due to being too crowded inside.

• Like 1

I was thinking that maybe for new guest announcements Showmasters want to hype up a bit, maybe they should simply do away with the word 'Big' or use it only in rare cases?

To be honest I hate it when people start getting defensive and I have to hear that everyone's idea of a 'big' guest is different. Well, sorry but no. Who is an important guest to meet will of course vary from fan to fan. But the Arnold Schwarzenneger or Stallone's of the world have massive, decades long careers that can't walk down the street without being mobbed by fans. You may not like them but they are BIG guests and should definitely have 'Big Guest' announcement threads. Sigourney Weaver, the Queen of sci-fi, and Michal J.Fox, an 80s movie icon are BIG guests.

Showmasters announcing Jett Lucas as a 'Big Guest' a couple years back will always stick in my mind as such a daft thing to do because he is not 'Big' in the slightest and it led to of the most head-scratchingly, disappointing guest threads I have ever seen, mainly because of how the SM helped hype it up.

It just seems that the word 'Big' gets people's imaginations going to the wildest possibilities meaning that no matter who gets announced, some will inevitably be disappointed their dream guest isn't attending. Then we always have varying levels moaning in that guest's thread (I have been guilty of this too), mods complain they have to clean up threads and we are always told a guest/agent may read negative comments and may be be put off from coming - something I would certainly not want to happen even if it was a guest I was not interested in meeting. But then again forum members understandably want to offer feedback. It's a bit of a catch-22.

Maybe moving forward we could see some more thoughtful thread intros that vaguely hint at who they could be:

- First Time Guest

- Great Return Guest

- Prolific Stunt Guest

- Classic Sci-Fi Movie Guest

- New Horror Guest

I think it would lead to a more exciting guessing game beforehand and would lead to less disappointed fans after the announcement is made.

Anyway, regarding this years lineup...

I think people remember statements from Jason like, "next year will be even better" and they will hold you to it. The unfair thing though is that what each person considers a 'good' or 'better' guest list subjective.

I met 9 guests at LFCC last year. The most I have ever met at a convention. I finally got to meet the elusive Ray Park, the rare Neve Campbell, one of my favourite Bond villains in Jonathan Pryce, the legend Michael Gambon, and as a HUGE Alien fan, 5 solid guests from that franchise at one event was epic, including only my favourite actress ever (Sigourney!). The stars aligned for me last year ;) and it would be hard for SM to ever top that event for me.

This year I am only meeting 3 so it feels something of an anti-climax but then I look at who I am meeting and I can't be disappointed:

Rutger Hauer for Blade Runner (one of the all-time classic sci-fi films), Ron Perlman (a fan favourite and a huge Alien series addition for me). Both of these guests I missed the first time they attended SM events so I am grateful SM chases people to return. But finally...

...FAMKE JANSSEN (only my favourite Bond girl in my favourite Bond film ever, PS. I'm a Bond fanatic). I NEVER thought I would get to meet her, she is about on the same level as Sigourney for me and will be a top 5 guest I have ever met. A great score for Marvel movie fans too.

(I also would be meeting Mads Mikkelsen had I not already met him before - another would be fantastic guest for me).

I think too many people look at the glass half-empty than half-full. I'm meeting only a third as many people as last time but they are important guests to me, and I couldn't care less if no-one else liked them. And hey, fewer guests every now and then means I save money but still meet a couple of greats I have always admired.

I feel this year's guest list lacks an obvious WOW factor but I will say it is certainly one of the most interesting guest lists I have seen with some very rare and unexpected names.

Edited by Dent_1
  • Like 2

Personally I'd like a few more Friday exclusive guests...I mean the likes of Ron, Mads, Tobin, Jack, Ian, Rutger & Famke are only doing Saturdays and Sundays. I totally understand that contracts and schedules play a big part into it but those coming on Friday are beginning to feel a bit left out. Apologies if this has been said before.

Personally I'd like a few more Friday exclusive guests...I mean the likes of Ron, Mads, Tobin, Jack, Ian, Rutger & Famke are only doing Saturdays and Sundays. I totally understand that contracts and schedules play a big part into it but those coming on Friday are beginning to feel a bit left out. Apologies if this has been said before.

Mads is doing Friday - don't make me have heart palpitations by claiming otherwise :smile:

Mads is doing Friday - don't make me have heart palpitations by claiming otherwise :smile:

Ah sorry, I saw him just after CR came out and got his autograph for 15-20; glad I did now.

rouge_entity, I would hope for absolutely NO "Friday Exclusive" guests.

I would bet most attendees would find it difficult enough getting Sat and/or Sun off work if needs be without having to ensure they attended Fri as well to get a particular guest.

No offence to you but I find such suggestions quite selfish. I'm only going Saturday but I would hope that all guests could do all days (where possible) so everyone has the best chance of meeting them. Why would anyone WANT a guest restricted to just one day???

I would bet most attendees would find it difficult enough getting Sat and/or Sun off work if needs be without having to ensure they attended Fri as well to get a particular guest.

No offence to you but I find such suggestions quite selfish. I'm only going Saturday but I would hope that all guests could do all days (where possible) so everyone has the best chance of meeting them. Why would anyone WANT a guest restricted to just one day???

My word use was poor but my sentiments still stand; most of the guests will be there on Saturday and Sunday and personally for me I'll be missing out on at least 8 guests who will ONLY be doing these dates.

And what about those attending who can only make Fridays?!? Should they have to fork out on more expenditures and time off to see a particular guest?

I guess as a Saturday only attendee you're only taking your day into account...no offence. :)

Edited by rogue_entity

Yes, there are some people who can only make Friday for some reason. But as sad as it is for Friday only attendees, for the majority of attendees Saturday and Sunday will not require taking time off work.

If you'd continue your line of thought strictly SM would have to do events all over the country with exactly the same guest list all the time to ensure everyone can meet the people they like.

For any day specific guest there's always a ton of complaints "OMG I can't make that day" because my sister's getting married, my cat's having kittens etc. Every attendee will be a little partial to the days they can make, that is human. A Friday only attendee will not really care about people who can make Saturday only and the other way round. It works both ways.

There have been a number of exclusive guests at the preview nights, some smaller Star Wars guests come to mind. If a guest is available Friday only of course they won't be turned away.

There have been Friday only guests before, just not the big ones most of you get overexcited about. When it was a four day event Friday was billed as being as full day - so no reason that couldn't include exclusives - there might be big guests who couldn't make the weekend so be daft to turn them away.

But since its gone to three days it sounds like it will just be ran in one hall on the Friday whilst the rest is set up.

IMO the big announcement threads should stop. I think it sends the wrong message to people who are just randomly announced. Like they're not quite as important to the event!

• Like 2

But since its gone to three days it sounds like it will just be ran in one hall on the Friday whilst the rest is set up.

Out of interest where did you read that, I may have missed it. There are quite a few guests who will be there on Friday and all the stalls will presumably be there as well so I'd think it'd be all set up already and set out the same as it will be for Saturday and Sunday.