Autographs or Photos?

Hi everyone,

This will be my first LFCC and I am on a limited budget so have a couple of questions to help me decide where to spend my money!

Do most guests let you take a photo with them when getting an autograph, or is it common to not be allowed to do this?

Which do you guys prefer to get, autograph or photo and why?

Is there a particular day that most guests will attend, or the more high profile guests? (I realise that is subjective but is there a prefered day that will have the most guests if they could only attend for one day)

:)

• Like 1

Its my first time, too. I'd imagine that they wouldn't allow photos, since it negates the function of the photo shoots. An autograph doesn't last forever, alas a photo does, which is why I've gone for photo shoots - the Robert Englund opportunity is once in a lifetime and it'll be nice anyhow to get an autograph from him, despite the fact I already have one.

I'd imagine, from looking at the website, there won't be too much in it where guests are attending on each day.

Best to decide what you want - autographs/photos, see when your guests are coming and then take it from there and if you want a gold pass as it would help tremendously and make a first time, slightly easier for you. However, that depends if your activities warrant the cost.

Enjoy the event!

Last year most guests at the table were more then happy to take a picture with you at the table, but some don't, they usually have a no photo's sign up. So, unless policy changed, this is what l expect this year again too.

Sometimes l prefer a photo, sometimes an autograph, sometimes l just gotta get both, lol

This con is so big, every day will have enough guests to keep you busy. last year l didn't really notice a difference in the level of guests between the different days and l don't expect it this time either.

And besides the guests there are also other things to do and see at cons. Whatever day you'll come, you'll be busy, trust me, hehe

I like autographs, you get more of a chat with the guests. Photo shoots tend to be over in seconds!

Some guests to let you have a photo over the signing table, others will have no posed photos, meaning that someone can take a photo of you with the guest whilst the signing is going on, others will have no photos at all.

The guests list on the website will tell you what day they are attending. If everyone you want to see is there on Sunday, go Sunday as it is quieter.

I'd vote for Photo if you have to choose. Why? Because it's an unique image between you and the celeb. While and autograph is just a picture with their writing on it.

As for taking photos while getting the signature... It depends. The really busy guest won't. But guests that aren't too busy and are in a reasonable good mode will most likely say yes.

The other people here are offering great advice too. It's true the autograph, if you dare. Is a longer meet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies :smile:

I think I will only be able to afford to do something with 2 or 3 guests so I am just panicking that I will wait too long for someone I would prefer to spend my money on to be announced, that I will miss out on my 3rd/4th/5th choices!

I normally love photographs for capturing memories but I expected the autographs to give you a bit longer with the guest, so an autograph and a quick photo at the table would be ideal for me.

If they announced, say Norman Reedus haha, I would buy both! :dance:

I have read they announce guests all the way up to the week before, but it's at 44 guests now I think, roughly what percentage has been announced already?

• Like 1

Traditionally, I prefer photos. They're more personal and really prove I met the celebrity in question. An autograph can be faked (I suppose photos can be faked too), and there's no real proof that you met the person to obtain it in the first place.

I understand the appeal of autographs though. You usually get longer to chat to the celebrity and can often have a photo anyway (unless they specify otherwise). I think a lot of people love to collect groups of autographs, so they have posters signed by as many of the cast as possible. These always look impressive and if so inclined, can have a substantial monetary value. This leaves people with the conundrum of having the autograph personalised or not.

I think I'll stick to photos for now and maybe an autograph from the odd mega-star or two.

• Like 1

I've opted for photoshoots only so far. At smaller events like CMK I'm content to get an autograph ticket and see if the guest is happy to pose for a photograph as well, if not then fair enough, but I'll always go photoshoot over autograph purely because it's a much stronger and permanent memory. A con like LFCC is much bigger than CMK though and therefore busier so the only autographs I'll get would be guests I really really want (like a Merlin guest in my case), and even then I'll also be getting photoshoots. That said I've never been to LFCC before so it's only assumption, but with the long queues the guests are likely to have I wouldn't think many would have time to pose for photos as well as sign autographs. Some do, but I don't think many would be able to at something this big.

But yeah, conclusion; photo over autograph. (But both if the guest is stellar)

• Like 2

My problem with the photoshoots is that if the guest is super busy, you're rushed through and don't get an opportunity to retake the photo, like I had with Stan Lee in the summer. I felt like the photo was taken as soon as I stood next to him and was unprepared and my photo doesn't look that good.

So far, I like to get autographs, maybe if I had a better experience with photoshoots it could sway me.

My problem with the photoshoots is that if the guest is super busy, you're rushed through and don't get an opportunity to retake the photo, like I had with Stan Lee in the summer. I felt like the photo was taken as soon as I stood next to him and was unprepared and my photo doesn't look that good.

So far, I like to get autographs, maybe if I had a better experience with photoshoots it could sway me.

It is up to you before you leave the area to check that you are happy with the picture and ask for a retake. I had two (or three) that I had to have retaken last year but that was because the picture had been taken as I was blinking or the flash had reflected on my glasses. Have to say I probably wouldn't have noticed save for the crew :)

Regarding autographs. Do tickets go on sale online for autographs?

I remember last year we could collect the virtual queue tickets on the day, but was wondering if it is possible to purchase them in advance?

No you can only purchase autographs at the event itself. The only exception there is if you're not attending and you can purchase those via the website.

Virtual Tickets are just for the queuing system and no guarantee of an autograph.

Edited by Knitty Fred

I usually go for both. If it is a guest I really like say Lena Headey at last LFCC I got an autograph and photo as I am a big GoT fan. If you are careful the autographs will last forever. Also if you go to multiple conventions AKA I got to Cardiff, LFCC, Sheffield and CMMK Last year I got a signature from Dave prowse at LFCC and I got a photo at collector mania. So you can budget your money for the guests you really want to meet and ones which you'd like to meet. As others have said autos are more personal and you can chat for a while and photos are over in a matter of seconds for Popular guests like my photo with Carrie Fisher. Also as other people have said photos prove you've met the person as do autos but a photo validates it even more. Autos can be faked but as long at you know and also if you have a photo to reinforce the fact you met them. It's up to you really. last LFCC I got photos with Sibel Kekilli, Kristian Nairn, Kate Dickie all at the table without a photo shoot. I'd say always make sure you ask the guest if there isn't a sign.

Over recent years, you will find more and more guests have moved to no photoshoots at their table at all, so the only opportunity is the official photoshoot. However, it's not always the case, so its difficult to give a complete answer.

It's always been the case that popular or busy guests struggle to do photos at desks anyway and so it has long been the case that you wouldn't have been able to get posed photos, probably just one whilst they sign or of them, rather than the desk lean.

Looking at the way things have moved over the last few years, I would suggest if you really want to get a photo with a guest you go ahead and buy the photoshoot ticket before. This at least guarantees you will get a photo, if you are still intending to get an auto at the desk then you might be able to nab a second free photo as well.

I would also say and this is perception only it tends to be the American guests that refuse to do photos at the desk and direct you towards the photoshoot, this is by no means across the board, but it has long been the case at American shows that you would pay to have a photo at the desk as well as pay for the autograph, which they used to do either by having a polaroid camera there, or allowing you to use your own camera. Way back at Collectormania 2 I think it was , I was surprised when David Soul was charging if you wanted a photo with him at the desk , as this was very rare then. If you look back at last year, Dina Meyer for example was only doing the official photoshoots.

I prefer photo shoots but I do get autographs from guests that have appeared in specific shows or films (ie Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars).

A lot of the bigger name guests do not allow posed photos at their tables which is quite understandable as their queues are normally very long.

Some of the lesser known guests are quite happy to pose for photos but do ask first.

• Like 1

So generally, if someone doesn't want pictures taken at the autograph table, they'll have a sign to say so? I'm getting photoshoots with a couple of people but will likely want autographs too. If I asked to get a quick picture over the table too and they said no, I'd probably be annoyed that I'd paid for the photoshoot and autograph and they wouldn't even do a 5 second photo. Are many people arsey about it? I wouldn't assume so as everyone was really nice at the Newcastle convention last year. I think I'd just be worried about asking them and having them say no as I think it would be a bit awkward.