Meet your favourite star

How about selling tickets to meet your favourite stars and spending, say five minutes with them - for the right price obviously? Showmasters could allocate a certain amount of slots for each day, and they could be sold on a first come, first served basis. That way people can spend a lot longer chatting to their favourite star about anything. How does everyone else feel about this?

I think it would work. If the average person (say a busy star) spends say, 15 seconds with each person signing an autograph priced at for example £25, then that's £500 for five minutes. If people pay the price then that's only fair. Everyone will still get the chance to do it. I didn't mean all day long, just for an hour or so every day to see how it goes. Obviously the £25 would be for a more expensive star like Christopher Lloyd, but others would be a lot lesser and more affordable.

I think your idea is great.

I just agree that it wouldn't be totally worth while (Money wise for the guest as well as SM)

Maybe if there was say, an hour where certain ticket holders would be in the same room for a private meeting / talk with the person. Like a certain con attempted to do with Stan Lee this year.

A great opportunity for the guests who get a ticket to meet and be around the guest in a more private setting.

I think your idea is great.

I just agree that it wouldn't be totally worth while (Money wise for the guest as well as SM)

Maybe if there was say, an hour where certain ticket holders would be in the same room for a private meeting / talk with the person. Like a certain con attempted to do with Stan Lee this year.

A great opportunity for the guests who get a ticket to meet and be around the guest in a more private setting.

Yay, someone finally agrees with me. Thanks Muther! :(

I can't see how this could be plausible, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it seems a strange idea and I don't know if the guests would want to do it, could be awkward!!!!!

I don't see why it's strange at all, or awkward. Guests would have the choice on whether or not to do it. Pre Orders could be taken to see if there is the call for it.

So your idea is that people pay approximately £500 for just 5 minutes with a guest? Sorry I wouldn't pay that to meet anyone, not for 5 minutes, I'd expect at least an hour of their time for that kind of money. I wouldn't even pay £100 for just 5 minutes of anyone's time, I don't care if it's Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp, 5 minutes is nothing.

So your idea is that people pay approximately £500 for just 5 minutes with a guest? Sorry I wouldn't pay that to meet anyone, not for 5 minutes, I'd expect at least an hour of their time for that kind of money. I wouldn't even pay £100 for just 5 minutes of anyone's time, I don't care if it's Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp, 5 minutes is nothing.

Yes that's the idea. And plenty of others I'm sure would pay that. I've seen some stars (who I will not name) who charge insane prices for autographs alone, which are more than double the £500 quoted here, or £300 if it's a £15 star. It would be more special than just getting a signed photo or item. It would be a personal memory. And if five minutes is "nothing", then 15 seconds for the 'conveyorbelt' routine is even less.

Edited by meetingstars777

Yes that's the idea. And plenty of others I'm sure would pay that. I've seen some stars (who I will not name) who charge insane prices for autographs alone, which are more than double the £500 quoted here, or £300 if it's a £15 star. It would be more special than just getting a signed photo or item. It would be a personal memory. And if five minutes is "nothing", then 15 seconds for the 'conveyorbelt' routine is even less.

yes but a £15 guest is less likely to be that busy and I've had 5 minutes or even more time with some guests at these events when they haven't been busy and all it's cost me was that £15. The guest would have to be pretty mega to warrant charging that kind of money for 5 minutes of their time and I can't think of a single person I'd think worth paying several hundred £s to spend just 5 minutes with.

£500 for 5mins!!! You are joking right? What if you pay for your time and can't think of anything to talk about? It'd be the longest and most embarrasing 5mins of your life, just standing there looking at your watch, lol!

I think if anything else should be added to this kind of event then maybe a guest encounter or two a day would be fun like they do at the weekenders.

Of course it would be awkward. The guests would have no control over who buys the tickets and would then have to spend 5 minutes with whoever walks through the door. Perhaps I'm being a bit insensitive here but there's always a mixture of ordinary level headed fans, somewhat giddy, overly excited fans and downright weird people at these shows. Would you want to sit in a room for 5 minutes with someone who is going to laugh, cry or shake their way through it all, or worse, sit there silently staring at you, the situation feeling more awkward by the minute? While the majority of fans know how to behave themselves around the guests not all do and there would be no way to know who is getting in. Some US cons offer a VIP ticket that grants access to backstage where the ticket holders can sit at an assigned table and watch all that happens and the stars, if they want, can stop at their table for a minute or two to say hello but it's never a one on one. And the VIP ticket is ludicrously expensive.

• Moderators

Guest encounters wouldn't work logistically at a signing event.

They work well at conventions, as there's time to put them in the schedule over a whole weekend etc. They're generally affordable (certainly nothing like what's suggested here) and I've never been to one that has been weird. Everyone's generally respectful, talkative or just paying attention.

Last year I paid just less than £800 for an hour with Bruce Dickinson - the lead singer of Iron Maiden - which was f**king amazing. But even that works out at £67 per 5 minutes.

£800 for an hour with Mr Mahogany himself, who flogs all the antiques on the telly?? You must be mad!

EDIT:

Oops, bit of confusion; thought you meant DAVID Dickinson. I didn't think it was cheap as chips... :D

Edited by keithporter23

• Showmasters Admin

GEs at signing event. Interesting idea.

I don't think 5 minutes with one person will work. As others have said it would be stupidly expensive and it would be over by the time you'd said "Hi, I'm XXXXXXXX, I really love your work!".

So you're really looking at a GE with maybe 10 people for 30 minutes. Based on the one person every 15 seconds at £25 a time, that means £4000 for 40 minutes (it'll take at least 5 minutes to get the guest to and from the GE and that time has to be taken into acount, so that's £400 per person.

Now that "could" work BUT and this is a big BUT!!! Any £25 guest is usually going to be busy, very busy and have people in their queue up until the very last minute. Taking 40 minutes out of the guests signing time will mean 160 people DON'T get to meet that guest. We are all about making things fair for everyone, and to me it doesn't seem fair that 10 people get the guest for a 30 minute GE when that means 160 attendees don't get to meet the guest at all.

you could say guests that cost £10 - £15 however, that isn't always the case, sometimes they are busy too if they are in a genre where attendees like to collect every single one lol

If they don't have a virtual ticket available, they are normally slightly quieter, but usually the show quietens down a little towards the end of the day, but keep an eye on the schedule to see if they have talks etc scheduled so you dont miss them for waiting too long