Time with Guests

Not being a spoilsport or anything, but is it possible for the Showmasters crew

to "sort of" give the fan or Guest a nudge if their chat at the table is talking a while.

The reason is i stood with my young son a while back awaiting to meet a (Guest) character from the

Transformers movies and a fan kept the Guest chatting for nearly 25 minutes, by this time

the queue had grown considerably and no-one had moved!! The crew member said and did nothing.

I know people want to talk to the Guest and they are excited and chatty, but please spare a

thought for others who want the same chance to have a chat also.

Edited by momstar

I see where you are coming from but also should it not be down to the guest? Would you be happy if you got into a long conversation to be cut short by SM staff when the queue wasn't that busy? Maybe the guest had not been very busy and wanted to have an actual chat with a fan while they could make the most of it!

• Moderators

This has certainly happened in the past, and I have done this myself when sitting with a guest, so crew are definitely aware of having to manage the queue. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience.

Yes, I definitely agree that people should be aware of whether there's a queue behind them etc, and most people luckily are! :blink:

I think if it's obvious that the guests are getting tired of it then the crew should nicely suggest moving along. If the guest is happy chatting then just be aware of the time. The problem is also when you're waiting in a queue 1 minute can feel like 10.

The reason is i stood with my young son a while back awaiting to meet a (Guest) character from the

Transformers movies and a fan kept the Guest chatting for nearly 25 minutes, by this time

the queue had grown considerably and no-one had moved!! The crew member said and did nothing.

Was that after the talk? If so that was me probably, sorry. I had no idea anyone was behind me!

It can get quite annoying.

I think I only did that twice in my whole con experience, first with Vic Mignogna, I saw him hugging people while people took photos, so I thought 'Might as well try my luck and ask for a hug'

Next was Tony Marshall and it was all his fault though lovely chap, we were dressed as A2A/LOM cast and he was like 'We must have a photo' and then he went on the floor and started barking like a dog before he crawled under. I could tell the crew member was a bit annoyed.

Edited by Glowingwings

Tell that to David Blue lol From meeting him and being in hos queue for awhile beforehand due to convos, it was very much him chatting away from than the customers :P

And I was in his queue for about 15-20 mins while he chatted to people, but I didnt mind.

Meant I knew he'd be chatty :poki:

I only ever do it if 1) the guest wants to and 2) its quiet and there isnt huge line behind.

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88

The only possible scenario I can think of is that SMs started adding a stipulation of "£25 for an auto and 1 minute of the guests time", but that obviously will mean others have to miss out.

Cue long thread about how "three people in front of me got at least 70 seconds each, but when it was my turn the crew member started the stopwatch early and I only got 53 seconds", interspersed with people asking if they could only pay 20 quid if they promised to have 30 seconds or less, etc...

:poki:

Tell that to David Blue lol From meeting him and being in hos queue for awhile beforehand due to convos, it was very much him chatting away from than the customers :P

And I was in his queue for about 15-20 mins while he chatted to people, but I didnt mind.

Meant I knew he'd be chatty :D

Same thing happened to me with Mr Blue, and probably everybody else. At a certain point in the queue I could hear all of the chats, as they were quite loud, and it was very interesting/entertaining :lol:

It presented a problem though as the questions I had planned to ask were asked by people further up the queue (that probably happens all the time, you just don't hear it) plus all the subsequent ones that I was trying to think of as the queue moved. I ended up just giving him a list of my answers to the questions that he had been asking previous people in the queue.

Meant I knew he'd be chatty :D

Same thing happened to me with Mr Blue, and probably everybody else. At a certain point in the queue I could hear all of the chats, as they were quite loud, and it was very interesting/entertaining :lol:

He was great. I'm very careful about taking up time, very aware of people queuing and am happy to just exchange a few words but had quite an in-depth conversation with him, and Robert Englund too.

I always try to think of something to ask about or mention in advance. I also admit to not being very knowledgable about every little thing each person has done etc but I go away happy. Sometimes you just pick on something but I try not to take up more than a few mins at most unless there's really no-one else around.

I do feel that some people think they're meeting their best mate and can monopolise their time because they've met them so many times before but I also find very few people overdoing it to be honest but it's not an easy thing to police. If the guest is chatty and not just being bombarded with questions then it's difficult to interrupt but sometimes if it's clear there's quite a line building, maybe a gentle reminder that other people are waiting would not go amiss. Over all I don't really see it as a big problem though.

I am pretty shy so I find it hard to talk to people in general never mind people I admire etc

I would find it hard in a line of people behind me to talk to be honest but I would hope to say more then Hello. But then again I wouldn't want to just be "I love your work, blah blah" as surely everyone says that

Was that after the talk? If so that was me probably, sorry. I had no idea anyone was behind me!

There are now a lot of people feeling very guilty, lol. I had a really good talk with Mark Ryan, I don't think it was 25 mins, but when I noticed someone else, I moved on. I too was in the queue for David Blue at CM MK, he entertained everyone in the queue, and did the same when I was waiting for David Warner to get back. It's all down to having a bit of sensitivity.

I didn't really feel guilty on the day, just a little silly seeing there was such a queue beind, Mark seemed to want to engage in a lengthy chat, most unlike me at all!

All his fault :D

I wasn't even going to get his auto before the talk!

This has certainly happened in the past, and I have done this myself when sitting with a guest, so crew are definitely aware of having to manage the queue. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience.

Yes, I definitely agree that people should be aware of whether there's a queue behind them etc, and most people luckily are! :eek:

Not to worry, it wasn't a really bad experience and it certainly hasn't put me off

attending any more events.

I know how much the attendees and guests get excited. As do I :(

I would just ask that everyone gives the guests and the visitors the same respect, remember we have all spent a lot of time queueing on the day and be aware of the queue behind you, don't hog the guests , particularly if there is a big queue.

Even if the guest has a smaller queue, but people are waiting then be as prompt as you can, enjoy your experience , ask a question or two and move on.

On the other hand for anyone who has ever met Brian Blessed, that man sure can talk and he will be the one keeping you at the desk !

I was there last year first con ever and the only guest I really spent a long time with was Andrew Robinson. We had a really emotional chat about somthing and I felt sorry about taking up so much time as someone was behind me. But I will try not do that this year

The same can be said really the amount of time one guests take to sign about 8 different things but that 'imo', sometimes I feel this takes too long too, but having said that they have paid for each item so I guess that gives them longer with the guest but when you have a talker like Robert Englund you are there a while!!.

I spent quite a long time chatting to Amber Benson at collectormania Glasgow, mind you that's becuase it was so quite! When i went up to meet her she was reading a book lol...I left 15min later when someone else came up to meet her.

I dont usually mind waiting if someone is having a chat, but obvioudly only if it's not busy.

The worst experience I ever had was meeting Kai Owen, not because of him though. It was late in the day and he had no queue, there were just some SM crew chatting to him (not his table assistant.. others from the event who must have not been busy, they were just chatting but not getting anything signed) so I stood and waited for them to leave, but they didn't, Kai eventually called me forward because I'd been waiting a while, but the crew didn't leave! They continued talking to him while he was signing my photo...I thought it was really rude. I hate interrupting as well (because it's also rude) so I didn't and therefore couldn't ask him anything!

I must stress this was the ONLY negative experience I've ever had. And it was only the one time...so I'm not too bothered about it. It just really annoyed me at the time!