very important information to all Autographica attendees

showmasters

too right mr bear as usual we have to bow down to london again!at least we will save some money!
In case you missed it - Jason has given several explanations in post 23 of this topic which may help you understand some of the reasons for the decision.

no i didnt miss it,ive read the reasons and posted my opinion if thats o.k?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too right mr bear as usual we have to bow down to london again!at least we will save some money!
In case you missed it - Jason has given several explanations in post 23 of this topic which may help you understand some of the reasons for the decision.

no i didnt miss it,ive read the reasons and posted my opinion if thats o.k?

Some people take this too serious Malc!

Edited by Lennybear

Hello from France

Maybe I have not really good understand (because my english is not so good as I would like) but I don't understand all the complaints and criticism about the Showmasters.

I have made many Autographica (and others events) since several years, so I think I can talk about my experience.

If the showmasters have decided this year to cancel one show and have just one show this year don't hurt me. It's their decisions and I'm sure that have made the good choice.

I don't understand some people blamed them for the hotel rooms and flight tikets bought several months before. I have never bought my rooms or planes (for Birmingham) or eurostar several months in advance. Just bought them usually 1-2 weeks before, and for Eurostar one day before. Not really BIG difference with the price. For Hilton or Thistle, bought them one week before and paid very good price. So no problems with that. And each time the celebrity dinner was very very a great moment (not really expensive)

I came to Autographica especially for Astronauts but like to meet others guests.

So, just wait for this year the next Autographica. n Great-Britain, you many many shows like Collectormania, Chevron, London entertainment, etc... so, not really a tragedy to have one Autographica this year.

And for those who don't like to go in London because Birmingham is better for them. So, imagine, London is better for some others. Many Europeans (and some worldwide visitors) came to Autographica and not complaint about the place of event :even the Thistle was no problems for me. Not easy to access but quiet)

So, maybe it's a deception to have just one show this year, but would be a GREAT SHOW

can I ask, where does this leave us with Edgar Mitchell? will he be invited back? was he coming or will be coming to the next one?

FWiW Edger Mitchell lost his son last year, perhaps he is not feeling up to coming to Autographica or any other show...

Tell u sumat for nowt, it must be a difficult job organising these shows, so much work to do, so much to sort out and so many people to keep happy...

Dave, Jason, it is a shame that April's Autographica has had to be cancelled but you know why and so I wish you the very best of wishes and hope every thing works out for October. You have my support... ;o)

Take care and all the very best!

von Dawson's Express

• Showmasters Admin

Hello from France

Maybe I have not really good understand (because my english is not so good as I would like) but I don't understand all the complaints and criticism about the Showmasters.

I have made many Autographica (and others events) since several years, so I think I can talk about my experience.

If the showmasters have decided this year to cancel one show and have just one show this year don't hurt me. It's their decisions and I'm sure that have made the good choice.

I don't understand some people blamed them for the hotel rooms and flight tikets bought several months before. I have never bought my rooms or planes (for Birmingham) or eurostar several months in advance. Just bought them usually 1-2 weeks before, and for Eurostar one day before. Not really BIG difference with the price. For Hilton or Thistle, bought them one week before and paid very good price. So no problems with that. And each time the celebrity dinner was very very a great moment (not really expensive)

I came to Autographica especially for Astronauts but like to meet others guests.

So, just wait for this year the next Autographica. n Great-Britain, you many many shows like Collectormania, Chevron, London entertainment, etc... so, not really a tragedy to have one Autographica this year.

And for those who don't like to go in London because Birmingham is better for them. So, imagine, London is better for some others. Many Europeans (and some worldwide visitors) came to Autographica and not complaint about the place of event :even the Thistle was no problems for me. Not easy to access but quiet)

So, maybe it's a deception to have just one show this year, but would be a GREAT SHOW

thank you my friend and i look forward to seeing you in october ;)

jason

can I ask, where does this leave us with Edgar Mitchell? will he be invited back? was he coming or will be coming to the next one?

FWiW Edger Mitchell lost his son last year, perhaps he is not feeling up to coming to Autographica or any other show...

Tell u sumat for nowt, it must be a difficult job organising these shows, so much work to do, so much to sort out and so many people to keep happy...

Dave, Jason, it is a shame that April's Autographica has had to be cancelled but you know why and so I wish you the very best of wishes and hope every thing works out for October. You have my support... ;o)

von Dawson's Express

once again thanks for the kind words , sometimes it is hard keeping everyone happy , and people forget that we to are fans and we do not want to run a bad show or have to cancel a event but some times it just has to be , thank you i was a little down about all this today and its nice to see some support , it really helps and shows me its worth it , i know some of you have amazing memories from the past shows and in the end thats all thats important , anyway thank you.

jason :whistling:

Hello from France

I agree that london is better for some people, but my point ,as stated earlier, is that for those who it isn't we now have nothing whereas london now has virtually every event including 2 at olympia but we're expected to take it or leave it without complaint. you encourage feedback so your getting it.You can't save money by traveling further and Birmingham airport has direct flights to the US every day and certainly to every European city so london isn't easier. With the traffic and costs around heathrow your having a laugh if you think its easier to go to the Raddison for most people.Ask Tippy Hedren, Ernest Borgnine , the space guys etc what they thought of Birmingham. No complaints i bet! As for the Raddison being friendly, it must have been a different shift of people i met when there because unless you were spending money directly for the hotel they basically didn't want to know. Yes i understand the reasons put forward by showmasters , some i accept but not all and i think you've made a mistake.

Edit: Just to re-quote the quote as your actual reply wasn't easy to find :blush:

Edited by 1of2

• Showmasters Admin

I agree that london is better for some people, but my point ,as stated earlier, is that for those who it isn't we now have nothing whereas london now has virtually every event including 2 at olympia but we're expected to take it or leave it without complaint. you encourage feedback so your getting it.You can't save money by traveling further and Birmingham airport has direct flights to the US every day and certainly to every European city so london isn't easier. With the traffic and costs around heathrow your having a laugh if you think its easier to go to the Raddison for most people.Ask Tippy Hedren, Ernest Borgnine , the space guys etc what they thought of Birmingham. No complaints i bet! As for the Raddison being friendly, it must have been a different shift of people i met when there because unless you were spending money directly for the hotel they basically didn't want to know. Yes i understand the reasons put forward by showmasters , some i accept but not all and i think you've made a mistake.

you are entitled to your opinion but i know i have not made a mistake not running this March event

as to Birmingham airport being easy every US guest fly's into london as thats were most of the bigger airlines come into to and we have to put on privet cars for them to go up to birmingham which ads around another £100 each way for each US guest so it adds around £2000 just on car travel , and before you say it if we did fly them into Birmingham the flights would cost more as there is only one or two that travel there and not much choice in airline and they are much more expensive, so your points are not correct , but as i have said this is for this year only , next year we will be back as it was my idea that we run one in london and the other more central , but i know we had to change this years first event , and one other thing because of the royal wedding the flights are going to be much more at this time as well .

jason

Unless people have already booked things that are non-refundable, I don't really see why anyone is complaining. There's still going to be an Autographica this year, just 1 less than previous. And it's not like Birmingham and London are a million miles away from one another. I live in Scotland and travel to Birmingham, or Manchester or London or wherever there's a guest that I want to meet. Indeed it actually costs me less to get from Glasgow to London than it does to go to Birmingham, figure that one out

Personally I'm glad that there is one less event, as it'll mean I won't need to ho and hum about whether I should go or not. It's only saving me money, and if it means their focus will be on other events now then i'm happy with that.

Edited by JacknDaniel

Unless people have already booked things that are non-refundable, I don't really see why anyone is complaining. There's still going to be an Autographica this year, just 1 less than previous. And it's not like Birmingham and London are a million miles away from one another. I live in Scotland and travel to Birmingham, or Manchester or London or wherever there's a guest that I want to meet. Indeed it actually costs me less to get from Glasgow to London than it does to go to Birmingham, figure that one out

Personally I'm glad that there is one less event, as it'll mean I won't need to ho and hum about whether I should go or not. It's only saving me money, and if it means their focus will be on other events now then i'm happy with that.

Very well put in every respect. Its good to see people coming out IN SUPPORT of the team and all their efforts. Its just too easy to be critical and negative.

Autographica will happen in 2011 and I will be very surprised if it is not the usual high standard to which we have become accustomed.

And if the Birmingham one DID go ahead, you would have not many great guests(if any) as Jason has said that lots of people they hoped for were unavailable. Then everyone would complain that the lineup was rubbish. At least this way it'll save everyone money

• Showmasters Admin

Radisson is a nice place, but very confusing,. and bloody easy to bypass any pass checking. Not that there tends to be any after a while anyway.. But nicer rooms etc than the Motel from last time..

Which major cities in the US aren't covered by Birmingham INTERNATIONAL Airport?

With any hotel it becomes impossible the man EVERY door and check for tickets. This is why we implimented checking of tickets when anyone gets an autograph or photo shoot, backed up with ramdom checking. In effect meaning anyone without a ticket can't access the guests. It's not a 100% perfect system but when you have 10 entances and exits it's just not possible to man them all.

Most cities fly into Birmingham, but as Jason says, there are a lot less airlines and a lot less flights per day that go into Birmingham especially when compared to Heathrow AND Gatwick. Due to this there is less competition at Birmingham and therefore almost all of the time prices for flights are higher. This is the point Jason was making. Yes they maybe able to fly a guest into Birmingham, but if it's going to cost even 20% more it's just not worth it.

I know when every I look for flights to the US I always include Birmingham in my searches but I haven't once had one come up in even the cheapest 10 flights on any given day. I sometimes get Manchester flights being a bit cheaper but for me I have to take into consideration the extra travel this end to allow for that. And Manchester would be no better than London for NEC events.

von Dawson's Express

er mate I think you misunderstood my post, I only asked this as recently on his website he said he was attending the may autographica this year, an event which is now not going ahead, thus my question, I was in no way having a go at the organizers for the loss of this show or Ed Mitchell for not attending one last year, thanks.

Well this seems to have everybody going, lets start by saying yes that it is a pain in the spam that there is only one show.

I have lost money by booking the room in advance and it is not refundable but such is life .

I will still be in the front of the show backing Dave and Co, i have been to ALL AUTOGRAPHICAS and do not plan to miss the London show.

The London show is better for me and nearer by far than Brum, but if you are a collector and supprt the hobby then you will travel far and wide.

To all the people that are moaning look at this way i have lost £11o paying for a room in advance that money could have been spent on something else, but i will get over it i am sure.

I hope you all remember the minute these shows end the planning for the next ones start so stop moaning and let them get on with what they do best, get great guests from all walks of life.

Paul >

Which major cities in the US aren't covered by Birmingham INTERNATIONAL Airport?

None of them - but most of them aren't direct flights. According to the Birmingham Airport website destinations list they serve

Atlanta - via Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or Newark

Boston - via New York (Newark), Paris or Frankfurt

Chicago - via New York (Newark), Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt

Houston - via Newark, Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt

Las Vegas - via New York (Newark), Amsterdam, Paris or Frankfurt

Los Angeles - via New York (Newark), Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfur

Miami - via New York (Newark), Paris or Amsterdam

New York (Newark, JFK) - Direct to New York Newark, or via Paris, Amsterdam, Zurich or Frankfurt to JFK

Orlando (Sanford) - direct (but only operates in the summer)

Philadelphia - via Newark

San Francisco - via Newark

Washington - via Newark, Paris, Amsterdam, Zurich or Frankfurt

Assuming it's the same coming this way, basically flying a guest to Birmingham from the US means that unless they're close to Newark or Orlando, they either have to fly to Newark (or Orlando) and change flights, or fly way past Birmingham, into mainland Europe, and then change planes and fly back the way they came to Birmingham. And even if by some strange quirk they can fly direct into Birmingham from other than Newark or Orlando, then based on the above they'll certainly have a broken journey home.

And currently there is one direct flight per day from Birmingham to Newark, six days a week. I would suggest that there are a similar number of incoming direct flights to Birmingham from Newark as well. (Even at the end of April/start of May, there's only one flight per day, albeit seven days per week).

Birmingham International Airport may be many things, but it wouldn't be my choice of airport for US flights.

Edited by TommyT

• Showmasters Admin

thank you TommyT for looking up all that stuff to make the point :P thank you , if i had the time to win every point i know to be correact i would not have time to run these events :firedevil: anyway i hope we can all start to move on and see the way forward we are getting on with guests now and its looking good now as guests seem to have time to come to the event in Oct so lets see what we pull off .

funny thing is look how many people looked at this thread ^_^ well lets see if we can get some big guests and see how many of these people attend .

jason

Just bought them usually 1-2 weeks before, and for Eurostar one day before. Not really BIG difference with the price.

Are you serious here? :huh:

Yes.

By example, for the last Autographica in London in september, I cheked my room (Room with 2 beds)the monday before the show for 2 nights (£65 included breakfast) and bought my Eurostar ticket the day before. Monday the Eurostar ticket was 165 euros Paris-London-Paris and thursday was and bought it 120 euros. For Collectormania last november, Eurostar ticket for one day was monday 130 euros and when I bought thursday was 145 euros. So, not really a problem. If I had bought my tickets 2-3 months before the show, certainly cost the same price or very lower.

Hi All,

I like this version better. At lest, that will cut seriously on the cost! One show is better than two anyway! As long as there are more guests, we will have more choice! But if there are more guests, perhaps one thing that would ned to be done is to extand to 3 or 4 days just like Collectormania in Milton Keynes so that we have the time to meet all the people we wish to greet! The more the better and the longer it last, the better too! Perhpas a long week-end during the summer would be more appropriate. Again, I think of Collectormania in Milton Keynes. But Bravo for the idea and the courage of changing the whole concept! Keep up the good work guys!

Just bought them usually 1-2 weeks before, and for Eurostar one day before. Not really BIG difference with the price.

Are you serious here? :D

Yes.

By example, for the last Autographica in London in september, I cheked my room (Room with 2 beds)the monday before the show for 2 nights (£65 included breakfast) and bought my Eurostar ticket the day before. Monday the Eurostar ticket was 165 euros Paris-London-Paris and thursday was and bought it 120 euros. For Collectormania last november, Eurostar ticket for one day was monday 130 euros and when I bought thursday was 145 euros. So, not really a problem. If I had bought my tickets 2-3 months before the show, certainly cost the same price or very lower.

Yes but if you buy tickets two months in advance, they are priced at 88 EUR. Huge difference to 130 or 145 EUR !!! Especially if, like me, you do these events 10-12 times a year, so if I don't care about 50 EUR difference each time, that adds up to at least 500 EUR which is far from being negligible. Also, maybe it's different in Paris but in Brussels, the week before the event, I rarely see tickets priced at less than 200 EUR.

• 2 weeks later...

HAVING READ PEOPLES COMENTS i am totally discusted that some on hear think it is thier god given right to have shows , i think the way things are everyone should be HAPPY to get 1 good show where we can meet

guests much better than the run of the mill t.v nobodys other shows turn out

SHOWMASTERS are doing a good job and have never let me down re guests or shows and if people think they can do better STOP WINGING and try it for themselves

i for one will be there in london and im a disabled guy for whom it takes some doing but is always worth it

THANKYOU SHOWMASTERS for doing a great job

While agreeing entirely with 'Pritchie' s point that those of us who have attended the Autographicas over the years owe a huge of gratitude to Dave, Garry and latterly Jason & Paul, I think it's worth stating that:

1) Showmasters is a business and has, in the past at least, attracted big crowds and earned good money

2) Everyone is entitled to hold an opinion and air it on a public forum!

I'm sure the organisers don't need gushy, sycophantic outpourings to persuade them to continue to stage the events, just a fair chance that both guests and collectors will support them :YAHOO: