very important information to all Autographica attendees

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

hi everyone

well we have been going over the best way to take Autographica forward and keep it safe as a special event like no other in the world and to be able to keep bring you all rare and amazing guest some of which may be the only time you will get to meet some of these classic legends , so this is what we have planned to keep our dream alive .

we are going to only run one event in 2011 .

we are going to run it on October 14th to the 16th 2011 .

it will be back at the Radisson Edwardian heathrow one of our favourite Autographica hotels .

we will then have 9 months to bring you all a great line up , as time helps to find and get interesting guests .

we are also going to look at what we offer in the way of tickets and we plan to offer some new packages that will offer more access to some of the guests and some new things we plan to introduce that will help keep Autographica a very unique and special event for years to come .

we also want to get back to what this show was about in the early years when it first started up which is autographs and autograph collecting , so we have arranged for Gary King to offer some courses for collectors and dealers to help them in buying autographs and spotting fakes and understand more about authenticity and what to look for , this course can help with understanding authenticity and can be very helpful to collectors and dealers alike , more on this near the time .

as you know Autographica would not be Autographica with out space guests , well we are talking to most of the Guests that you have been asking for , but its getting much harder now days as these gentlemen are getting older and are doing less traveling theses days , so all i have to say is i still have not met all the Apollo guests so i will keep trying for you and for my self to get them to attend a Autographica at least once , so do not worry we are trying all the time to make this happen .

now we also plan to star working on shuttle crews too , these guys are also very interesting people to meet and we feel that these people are the future guest for Autographica and we want to start now and get to meet as many of them as we can .

we also will be working on a good selection of TV and Film guest which these event is remember for as we have had some of the rarest guests attend over the years , and i think that you will all agree that we need a event like Autographica so we can keep on meeting gold and silver age guest for years to come .

as you will all know some of our previous high profile TV and FILM guests have passed away in the last few months , this shows us all that some times its a rare chance to meet some of these legends and we want to keep Autographica going so we all get these rare chances to be able to keep on meeting these amazing people and get so close to them at the meals and drinks reception , so we hope you help us keep our dream alive and help us keep on running this unique event by attending in October .

this year will be a little harder than other years but with Autographica only happening once this year i think it

will give everyone the chance to save up to and meet the great guest line up at the end of the year ;) .

i hope you feel like myself Dave and Paul feel that this way we can all work together to keep this event up to the standards we are all used to and get to meet some amazing people and have a great experience doing what we love so much .

so we will not be seeing you in May but we very much look forward to seeing you all in October :D

thank you all for your support over the years and into the future

jason :chair:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jason, Dave and Paul,

Thankyou for making this announcement when you have. I came very close to booking what would have been an unnecessary flight.

I am fully supportive of your thinking for Autographica for 2011 and like all that I read with regard to dates, venue and number of shows. One show per year does allow more time to accumulate the funds, especially when the budget is limited during these economically challenging times. I like what you say about your proposals in relation to guests (especially, in my case, to space shuttle guests).

We would like to wish you all the best in the coming months as you bring your plans to fruition. Having already discussed your proposals with a number of friends, we can assure you of our continued support in October 2011.

Typical, London stays on the calender but a Birmingham event gets canceled. You've allready got events at Earls court and Olympia (twice) and now Radisson. Your doing your best to alienate people who've supported you for years. You've really soured my day with this. Just let us know in good time when Milton Keynes is replaced by another london event. I loved your line about how everyone now has the chance to save up to support this event, so where am i doing the saving when i have to fork out even more in train fares, coach fares and Hotel prices. Forget it!

Edited by bigcat

Having already discussed your proposals with a number of friends, we can assure you of our continued support in October 2011.

Bad mistake. Despite protestations of loyalty like those above, this announcement will hack off a lot of the regulars who've already booked. I reckon this means we won't ever see Dr Mitchell at Autographica. Five months is a long time when you're 80+ and many of the AGM crew members are not in great health. Yet again the South of England crew get their way! :chair:

I’m surprised there is no other alternative except this drastic move of cancelling the Birmingham event all together.

The most disappointing section of the statement is “we will have nine months to bring you a great line-up, as time helps to find and get interesting guestsâ€. Could this also be read that other newer events now occupy more of your time, and that something had to give way.

It’s just a pity when moonwalkers are far older than the current movie / tv stars. :chair:

But despite whatever I say here, I know it’s not going to change anything. I guess I just wanted to express my disappointment.

• Moderators

I swear not a few months ago there were people complaining about the quality of Autographica line-ups, and suggestions that they should just concentrate on one Autographica event per year and try for a really good line-up for it. Now they announce that they're going to do exactly that... and people still complain. Guess there really is no pleasing people...

(And I'd guess they chose London over Birmingham for it as it means that guests flown in from abroad only have very minimal travelling to do on this side of the flight, which can only be a good thing for the more elderly or frail guests.)

I swear not a few months ago there were people complaining about the quality of Autographica line-ups, and suggestions that they should just concentrate on one Autographica event per year and try for a really good line-up for it. Now they announce that they're going to do exactly that... and people still complain. Guess there really is no pleasing people...

Don't be so ingenuous! A FEW people saying they'd prefer one event a year is not a justification for cancelling a show that a LOT of people have already booked / paid for. I've been talking to some of the dealers I buy from at Autographica. To say they are fed up doesn't begin to describe it! This announcement should've been made last Autumn. I'm grateful to Dave, Gary and Jason for providing the opportunity to meet so many of my heroes, but IMHO this decision was a mistake...

This opens the door to the 'alternative' Astronaut event in the north of England!

• Moderators

Don't be so ingenuous! A FEW people saying they'd prefer one event a year is not a justification for cancelling a show that a LOT of people have already booked / paid for. I've been talking to some of the dealers I buy from at Autographica. To say they are fed up doesn't begin to describe it! This announcement should've been made last Autumn. I'm grateful to Dave, Gary and Jason for providing the opportunity to meet so many of my heroes, but IMHO this decision was a mistake...

This opens the door to the 'alternative' Astronaut event in the north of England!

I simply meant that whatever they do it seems they can't please everyone. They try things one way, people complain. They try it another way, and another set of people complain. If they could run several events a year, all around the country, and all with fantastic line-ups, people would probably STILL complain because they couldn't afford to go to them all!

Typical, London stays on the calender but a Birmingham event gets canceled. You've allready got events at Earls court and Olympia (twice) and now Radisson.

Unfortunately it makes sense to loose the earlier to the two events, and moving the second one to Birmingham for the October date would alienate anyone who'd already booked for that too.

There's no reason it can't return to Birmingham next year.

humm. shame this is happening though better this than none at all.

Im in 2 minds myself, im half relieved as It was becoming more likely id not be able to get it off work as the date was slam in the middle of loads of other cons and a busy time at work. so im relieved I wont miss anyone now if i had trouble attending as it wont happen, saying that like mentioned above, 5 months at some of the guests ages can be a long time and things can change alot so I worry on that front.

the whole this gives us more time to org guests bit? wasnt there that much time between the announcement and the event for this one also?:YAHOO: I dont think thats really a solid case. its obvious its down to sales, and Im thankful this step has been made to ensure autographica continues.

for me rarely can I or will I buy an expensive show ticket so far in advance, mostly due to the fact I work alot of weekends so I have to pick and choose and fight and beg for the right ones off, with so many cons also, some months one or 2 each weekend, there is no way i can get em all off. so with only kenny baker and a couple of aviators there is no way I could commit to it yet. perhaps others are in the same boat as me.

perhaps something could be tested on here, a poll to see who is coming to gauge interest (or even on the site) something like

who is coming and bought tickets

who is coming but cant buy tickets till nearer the time?

who is thinking of coming?

who cant come?

who is waiting on more guests?

that way u can see how many are possible attendees? just thinking out loud. i know its more complicated than that.

I do have one concern, the photo shoot ticket, will that continue? that was brilliant but the tone of the post suggests perhaps it wont be?

now the new date? work wise, i might be lucky, so far that weekend seems light, but its far out, fingers crossed.

please get as many apollo guys as you can, some of us are new so are playing catch up and alot of them might not be around that much longer which is so sad.

Hey, I bought my tickets yesterday, will they be refunded or carried over???

JA

Apologies, your question got 'buried'!

I would expect the tickets to be refunded rather than to be carried over. It is to easier to refund everything than it is to sort out who would like to retain their tickets and who doesn't.

In your case as you only purchased them yesterday it is even possible that they may not have been prcoessed yet anyway.

(And I'd guess they chose London over Birmingham for it as it means that guests flown in from abroad only have very minimal travelling to do on this side of the flight, which can only be a good thing for the more elderly or frail guests.)

They do have an airport in Birmingham!

Hello,

thank you, Jason, for the information about the changing at "Autographica".

Well, I`m surprised about the decision to hold one event per year only. It`s a pity, because it was a good settlement to have one show in Birmingham and one in London. So everybody had one time a smaller way and/or a better connection to the venue. But if it`s necessary now to decide for one show per year and the venue of this event, I support your decision for London of course, because for Autographica-attendees abroad like me, it is easier to reach London as to travel to Birmingham.

I understand the trouble of these fans, who have booked for Birmingham now. When I would live in UK, maybe I had the same problem. I hope, showmasters find a way to help them.

I look forward to the show in London in October now and when a interesting list of guests is named and confirmed, I will book my tickets (and if Jon Provost of "Lassie" and Barbara Eden, Bill Daily and Larry Hagman of "I dream of Jeannie" will attend at the show, my wife and my little daughter will come along with me).

Best from Stuttgart,

Helmut

Having already discussed your proposals with a number of friends, we can assure you of our continued support in October 2011.

Bad mistake. Despite protestations of loyalty like those above, this announcement will hack off a lot of the regulars who've already booked. I reckon this means we won't ever see Dr Mitchell at Autographica. Five months is a long time when you're 80+ and many of the AGM crew members are not in great health. Yet again the South of England crew get their way! B)

Have to agree to a certain extent. I was really looking froward to this event. It was being held at a time I could make and in Birmingham - ideal as I really love going to the Hilton. Showmasters have helped me over the last few years meet lots of brilliant and rare stars, however, I am very disappointed that this will not take place. Especially sine I don't think I can make the October date.

O well, more money to spend in MK then. I do hope those Bond girls can all come to the new date as long as I can change my plans.

Edited by reddragon

• Showmasters Admin

hi all

i understand that people will be unhappy what ever we do , we have all relised over the years we can not make everyone happy so all we do is our best , and we do this every day and at every show so if our best is not good enuff for some of you i am sorry for that .

i can give you some more inside infomation that my help you all understand why this has came around

1 there was no Apollo guest around to attend this May's event no one could make it so we were with out a big

space guest

2 ticket sales for this event so far were the lowest they have ever been 3 months out 22 tickets , so it was 22

of you that committed to the event , and i think you for that commitment and you will get a refund or if you

want to transfer the ticket over we will be happy to do that for you .

3 more people have attended Autographica in the south , so to make the next event "the only one of the year"

be the best we need to run it were the most people would attend , the Rad hotel has has the busiest

Autographica in the past .

4 also the date for the Oct show was booked some time ago and deposit has been paid so to change , so to

change it would cost us even more .

5 the date for the birmingham show were also only 3 months out and as we know that no Apollo guests are

around for it it also did not make sense to keep this event out of the two of them

6 we are not running Autographica in Birmingham for this year i did not say we would not be coming back next

year at all so do not worry , this year is a tuff year lots of people are finding it hard to pay to go to all the

events so to have just one event this year we do feel that is the best way to be able to bring you the best

show we can for 2011

7 this is a sensitive one , we are a team here it takes Paul,Dave and myself to run Autographica and at this

time some of us have some issues were family members are very unwell i do not want to go into this as its

privet stuff but we are real people and also have to deal with real life issues that do come first , things are

hard on this front as well and this also stops us putting in 100% on guest booking , so i hope you all

understand were i am coming from on this and see that lots of things are against us on this May date so all

in all i know we have done the best thing for you the fans and for the show its self by going for the Oct date .

i understand that this will not make everyone happy but all i can say is sorry and we do our best but some times we have to do things that are hard , i know no one here want to cancel the May show if we did not have to but this year this is the best way forward .

i hope to see you in october

sincerely

jason

thanks for posting jason,

probably the best decision overall this one. and im hopeful I can make the october date, loved my first autographica last year.

just a quick few questions, where does the ed mitchel website confirmation fit in with it all? and will the photoshoot ticket still be available at the next shows?

thanks

R