Lost - 'The End' - Finale Discussion

DavidB

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hummm

didnt think much to it, yes it was well acted, shot and emotional in places but there were no surprises, no big reveals, no shocks, found it all a bit disapointing and low key

yer i sorta thought oh its the titanic ending also, they all died at seperate points in time but cos this was the most important time period in there lifes (the island) to them they all appear at the same time to move on together? so the flash sideways was all after they died and desmond was helping them remember ala genes (pre forgetting) purpose in A2A? but why does he think daniel is better off a musical mummys boy in pre heaven than with charlotte in heaven??

i am confused about the flash sideways pre heaven thing a bit, christian says they made it so to be able to find each other? er exactly how did they do that?????????

what about super powered walt?

what exactly was the island? was it / is it the cork stopping hell spilling into the real world?

why did the light turn evil jacob brother into a smoke monster?

to be honest id of much preffered the ep were jin and sun die to be part 1 of a 2 part finale, have the whole jack ect uncorking the island and fighting ect, some escaping some not, forget the dull 2 mortal brothers ep explaining there background and forget the a2a titanic finale heaven reunion, have some escape, some die, hurley be the new one and end on jack dieing seeing the others fly to safety and the mysteries of the island still mystery, cos how we have it now its sorta a half explination but a dull one and to be honest all the happy endings for all the characters diminished there sacrifices especially the more recent ones still fresh in memory.

shame ive really enjoyed lost, especially the last 2 series, the ending wasnt bad, it was just a bit dull and to similar to A2A for me.

Note from QS: Edited to remove spoilers for another show.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Also if the flash sideways was them living the perfect lives without the crash, why was sun shot, why were sun and jin happy knowing they were dead and their daughter an orphan, why was libby still in mental hospital?

Its ok to not know everything but it feels like they told us nothing, I feel cheated to be honest

Also if the flash sideways was them living the perfect lives without the crash, why was sun shot, why were sun and jin happy knowing they were dead and their daughter an orphan, why was libby still in mental hospital?

Its ok to not know everything but it feels like they told us nothing, I feel cheated to be honest

not quite perfect lives but lives together. Jin and Sun were finally running away together and Libby and Hugo were together. It was well connected and they were supposed to find each other - look at Locke and Jack i maintain that Jack was always supposed to help fix Locke and Sun being shot lead to Sawyer and Juliet...

All the reunion scenes were brilliant, but Boone's line about "getting her here from Australia" was a bit clunky

That is literally one of my only moans about the finale. I would have loved them to have shown how Boone "remembered", what situation made him realise. They kinda just skipped over that and you had to assume that Desmond or Hurley had already done that with him. Boones a fave so it always annoys when they leave him out!

The Charlie and Claire moment is something I've been waiting for for so so long <3 That truly made my lil shipper heart soar and I blubbed like a baby!

I can honestly say I absolutely loved it.

I never really thought that the flashsideways/heaven was their "perfect" life. I just assumed it was just an alternate life had the plane not crashed. Who they could have turned out to be or a different path.

Even if every single question had been answered not everyone would still have been satisfied! I'm just accepting it the way it played out and I think if I analyse and pick at it too much then it will just spoil things. I like the way I feel about the finale......apart from the overwhelming sadness and the hole in my chest now its ended! =(

xxxx

timelord's already mentioned Ashes to Ashes (not seen that so can't comment) however did anyone else think this finale seemed to have many parallels with the BSG finale?

Certainly both had an action filled middle two quarters, loads of flashbacks throughout and (for fans) very emotional scenes at the end and the spirituial leader of the group died.

Of course this could just be that I'm a tremendous fan of both shows, so found it very emotional saying goodbye a second time in a few months.

Can understand how many people will be unsatisfied by the ending, with so many potential questions unanswered, however, i thought it was better than i had dared hope it would be.

The ending in a church where everyone could help Jack let go was inspired and certainly as the flash backs, forwards and sideways has proved the church service could be anytime.

Regardless of your thoughts on what exactly happened at the end, i think parts of the ending were left deliberately vague. Maybe I'm getting old but I found it very emotional, it certainly got me thinking about not just the story but in more general terms about how you live your life, that friends are more important than possessions etc and the whole 'is there something more' questions that no one can answer.

Looking back, Lost the title seemed even more so at the end, to summarise the position the characters were in with their lives and not just lost on an island. I think for so many reasons the writers did as good a job as they possibly could baring in mind all the speculation over the last six years.

Will wait a few months, to let the dust settle and then start a complete re-run.

Come off it Timelord81 - can we please not spoil other (current) shows in this thread ??? I know it's fair game for threads of it's own now it's been screened, but it's been THREE DAYS and this isn't where I'd expect to see another show spoiled. :D:lol:

The more and more I sit here thinking about the show the madder I get. Just off the top of my head I can think of 24 things that remained unanswered. There's bound to be many many more of course but I fully appreciate that you can't answer everything. Even so this just feels like they posed lots of questions and just said, to hell with the answers let's just have jac and smocke have their neo/agent smith moment, bring everyone back and give a happy ever after ending (dead or otherwise) and hope everyone goes home happy. Personally I ain't swallowing it but I'm sure I'm just one against a million people who loved it.

Didn't the creators promise that they weren't dead? I know they weren't on the island but still this feels like they've reneged on the deal somewhat.

We could go back and forth but what would be the point. To those who enjoyed I'm glad you did, to anyone like me, oh well there's always flash forward..........doh

Come off it Timelord81 - can we please not spoil other (current) shows in this thread ??? I know it's fair game for threads of it's own now it's been screened, but it's been THREE DAYS and this isn't where I'd expect to see another show spoiled. :blink:;)

sorry, didnt even think of it being a spoiler, both finales have aired. cant see how anyone would wait so long to watch but I understand and am very sorry if that spoiled an unwatched finale, sorry again

though what did I put? arnt my A2A mentions still there?

sorry again

Edited by timelord81r

Amazingly I still haven't slept on it, it just seems like days ago :D but I really think watching it live helped me enjoy it. It was such a weird thing. You could see the end of part one clearly enough (the waterfall) but the rest felt like it was always 10 minutes away from the end. I looked at a clock during one break and there was still another hour to go! (BSG was similar in this regard)

I was worried during the reunions they were going to give me a happy ending, which would have been a let down after all the struggles. They avoided that by making it bittersweet. I was half hoping the Island would be destroyed though ;)

I never really thought that the flashsideways/heaven was their "perfect" life. I just assumed it was just an alternate life had the plane not crashed.

The change of timeline always went back further than that - Desmond, Danielle, Alex etc were there before the crash. The incident appears to be the spliter. But Hugo still won the lottery.

[That is literally one of my only moans about the finale. I would have loved them to have shown how Boone "remembered", what situation made him realise. They kinda just skipped over that and you had to assume that Desmond or Hurley had already done that with him. Boones a fave so it always annoys when they leave him out!

The DVD version is supposed to be 20 minutes longer, so there might be more to that story.

Surprised we didn't get the Widmore family together for one scene. Alan wasn't even it the episode was he? I wonder why Micheal wasn't in it though? Walt I can understand the kid's aged.

• Moderators

Michael not being there made sense to be honest. He needed redemption on the island by helping people after he died, and realistically wasn't an appropriate character for the end in the church. Same with Ben really, but we got to see him decide that for himself.

Mr Eko wasn't in it because the guy asked for too much money apparently.

Other than that, I think we ended with the right characters getting the main attention. As much as I loved Ben as a character, it was never his show from the start - so appropriately the focus was on Jack, Locke, Hurley etc.

There's so much more to say but it'll take time to digest. Put me in the 'loved it' camp though. I didn't want a 'we're going to spell all this out' finale. I wanted a satisfying conclusion, which is what they gave us. Funny, smart, action packed and emotional. I couldn't have asked for more personally. I can't imagine how tricky it must be to get the majority of an original cast back years later, so I think under the circumstances they did a tremendous job with the last season, and the finale.

To have epic moments like Jack/Locke on the clifftop and all the emotional reunions etc pays tribute to what depth the show had, and the connection with viewers. For those who loved the show and went along willingly for the ride, this was the finale that would satisfy. Those who are mostly disappointed are largely the ones that have been disappointed for a long time.

Didn't the creators promise that they weren't dead? I know they weren't on the island but still this feels like they've reneged on the deal somewhat.

They said that the island wasn't purgatory, which was true.

Come off it Timelord81 - can we please not spoil other (current) shows in this thread ??? I know it's fair game for threads of it's own now it's been screened, but it's been THREE DAYS and this isn't where I'd expect to see another show spoiled. ;):D

Sorry dufresne, I didn't see that one on time. The spoiler has been removed now.

sorry, didnt even think of it being a spoiler, both finales have aired. cant see how anyone would wait so long to watch but I understand and am very sorry if that spoiled an unwatched finale, sorry again

Forgive me for being basically confused about this, your moaning about spoilers for a show that aired THREE DAYS before lost (and is no longer running so therefor no longer current), in a thread containing spoilers for a show thats just aired.

Sorry, wtf?? By most standards of 'spoilers', ashes to ashes is now fair game as it has now aired, and most, if not all people interested in it will have seen or heard about it now. So why is it so taboo now and need editing?

This would have been a good ending had id not seen something almost identical too it on the weekend! Didnt see it coming at all though. Was a great ep up until that final revelation at the end.

The way I interpreted it, from the scenes of the original crash at the end over the credits, I think everyone died in the initial crash of oceanic 815, and that world they were in was the space between heaven and hell, as we saw at the end.

I like to call it the quantum leap effect. Just once id like to see the people of whatever show we've been following for years actually make it home for once, but nearly all of them end in a tragic way in the last several years!

Edited by crippsy_99

i ws disappointed by the finale but ive loved lost, especially this season and last season, the finale felt all a little to bow tied but in a safe way a bit like the voyager finale. though this was better ;-)

it had some really good moments but i wanted more surprise, suspense, i really think also the ep with the 2 brothers ect should of been left out, i think it would of been better leaving that bit as a mystery, so these points coupled with the similarities to A2A meant i was disappointed, but it wasnt totally bad so thats a good thing, and gotta say i loved lost. just a shame the finale wasnt grander, especially considering the run time.

Those who are mostly disappointed are largely the ones that have been disappointed for a long time.

They said that the island wasn't purgatory, which was true.

lol pretty thin line though.

you know perhaps i would of liked it more without the flash sideways story line. the emotional flashbacks revelations where the only good bits i think, i really did like jacks story in the finale though all of it. especially his confrontations with smoke locke

i thought the acting was brilliant overall

and loved the fact frank survived

an ok end but a bit (not predictable but safe) and a bit disappointing for an awesome series

Forgive me for being basically confused about this, your moaning about spoilers for a show that aired THREE DAYS before lost (and is no longer running so therefor no longer current), in a thread containing spoilers for a show thats just aired.

Sorry, wtf?? By most standards of 'spoilers', ashes to ashes is now fair game as it has now aired, and most, if not all people interested in it will have seen or heard about it now. So why is it so taboo now and need editing?

My point being that it's ONLY three days since it aired, and it's completely reasonable that someone (*points at self*) hasn't seen Ashes, has avoided spoilers, and didn't expect to encounter said spoilers in a section and a thread for another show altogether. Had it been an Ashes thread, I would have known to avoid it, but when it just turns up mid-Lost thread ??

Life on Mars spoilers fair enough :D , or something that ended slightly more than three days ago. As I say, Ashes references in an Ashes thread I have no problem with - anyone going in there KNOWS there will be spoilers. You might as well have put it on the LFCC homepage that Bruce Willis was a ghost all along, and it was a woman in The Crying Game !

Anyway ......

Edited by dufresne

• Moderators

This would have been a good ending had id not seen something almost identical too it on the weekend! Didnt see it coming at all though. Was a great ep up until that final revelation at the end.

The way I interpreted it, from the scenes of the original crash at the end over the credits, I think everyone died in the initial crash of oceanic 815, and that world they were in was the space between heaven and hell, as we saw at the end.

I like to call it the quantum leap effect. Just once id like to see the people of whatever show we've been following for years actually make it home for once, but nearly all of them end in a tragic way in the last several years!

As Jack said - whatever happened happened. Everything on-island happened. They didn't all die in the initial crash.

They all died eventually and so ended up in the flash-sideways place.

Ben and Hurley's comments at the end - "you were a great number 2" - shows that it all happened, as with Kate's comment to Jack in context about missing him etc. While open to interpretation, she probably lived a long and happy life off-island, and so hadn't seen him since she left him. That's why it had been so long for them.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

That was really the best thing they could come up with was it, what a complete waste of six years on my televisual life, I want the time back and I want it back now.

Lets summarise – (i know ill get massacred for this)

Flight 815 crashed onto an island and a handful of people survived. They built a camp but then weird stuff started happening. There were Polar Bears, kidnappings, whispers in the jungle and some sort of Smoke Monster that just turned up and killed people. As their lives progressed on the island they were trying to figure out how to get home, meanwhile some people turned up who had been living on the island (and there was a whole back story about the Dharma Initative and how they got wiped out by these residents of the island) and they started killing people and then they took some people whos names were chosen by a mysterious man called Jacob (actually they took a boy named Walt first as you see he was really really special and had some sort of special powers) who lived in a hut in the woods. (whilst all of this was going on we got to see flashbacks of the lives the crash survivors had led before getting on the plane)

Eventually they escaped but then some more people turned up on a boat saying they were there to rescue them and take them home. These people then turned out to be mercenaries of Charles Widmore (who we would later find out had lived on the island and been banished and now wanted to go back there) and they were there to kill everyone except one of the people who lived on the island before the crash called Benjamin Linus (sems Widmore and Linus have history but aren’t allowed to kill each other because of ‘the rules’).

It all went spam up and six of the survivors of the crash made it off the island and got back to the real world, meanwhile the island itself started jumping around in time after Ben turned a wheel at the centre of the island which made it jump, he in turn appeared in the middle of the desert, quite how we don’t really know but under ‘the rules’ he had been banished and could never go back.

The island ended up in the 70s and those crash survivors that were still there started working for the Dharma Initative (remember them from seasons 1 & 2) whilst those who had got off the island were leading terrible lives and they realised that they had to go back to get some sort of closure (they were told this by Ben who was in the middle of one of his multiple good guy/bad guy turns). To do this they had to get on another plane and hope that if it flew over the island (which they managed to find with the help of a mystery lady called Eloise, quite impressive as the thing was moving around in time) that they would crash again, this of course conveniently happened….wasnt that lucky.

Anyway as they were about to crash the island flashed and jumped again, the rules of time travel were then changed as some of them went back to the 70s whilst some of them remained in the present day, how convenient. Those in the 70s met up with their old crash friends who were happy to live as Dharma despite knowing that at some point in the future they would all be killed by the others, needless to say they weren’t happy to see their old buddies.

Jack Shepherd (the on/off leader of the survivors) decided that he wanted off the island again, despite it being him that insisted on going back and so he decided it would be a good idea to detonate an atomic bomb, hopefully this wouldn’t kill them all, rather it would destroy the island and somehow reset time so that they had never crashed on the island in the first place. Jack was given this idea by a man called Daniel who was really really clever and had figured it all out before realising he had not only jumped around in time but had also been born on the island and that his dad was that naughty man Charles Widmore, anyway he died in the 70s which is weird as im sure that would create a paradox of some kind being as he wasn’t born then, but lets not go there huh.

So the bomb goes off and the island is at the bottom of the ocean, the plane never crashes and everyone is happy…….or are they??? No apparently not as now there is apparently 2 realities, one where the plane never crashes and one where the bomb hasn’t destroyed the island and reset time, no no its actually sent the survivors back to the present day, where conveniently they met up with their friends who had been on the second plane but had crashed in the present day and not gone back to the 70s (keeping up I hope J). On the island they realised they were candidates to replace a man called Jacob (who was now dead after being killed by his own brother who turned out to be the evil smoke monster. This Jacob had been the one who ordered the others to kidnap these candidates all the way back in season 2, apparently he was a nice guy now and was giving them a choice as to what they would do rather than forcing them to follow his way as he had done previously (why the change of heart, who know??), mind you it wasn’t much of a choice as he had been affecting their lives since they were kids and the whole thing was his grand scheme to get them there. See Jacob I guess didn’t like the job and so he wanted someone to relieve him of his duties as he was bringing candidates to the island long before he was killed (see he had a special drink of mumbo water when he was a child and it made him immortal, even though he grew to be an adult before he stopped aging, same thing goes for his brother).

Smokey was now wandering around in the body of one of the survivors who had died, see he can do things like that he can, and was now known as Smocke. Apparently he’d gone to a lot of trouble to get into the Smocke form so that he could get Jacob killed as due to ‘the rules’ he couldn’t kill his brother himself. So in order to get into the Smocke form he had appeared to people on the island as various animals or people from their pasts in order to guide them down the route he wanted them to go……..but wait I thought it was Jacob who was guiding them, maybe they were in it together goddamnit J.

He somehow convinced Ben that he had to kill a survivor called John Locke, this was so Lockes body would go back to the island and he could become Smocke to then convince Ben to kill Jacob. Im guessing he couldn’t appear as people who were already alive only as dead people, makes you wonder why he didn’t just appear as Alex (stolen as a baby (from a French woman who had crashed on the island on a boat or something)and raised as Bens daughter) and get Ben to do the deed I don’t know but anyway I digress.

So Smocke wants off the island and we’re told that this will be very very bad and that the world wil end, cue flash forward to a destroyed world??? Ummmm no, you just have to take Jacobs word for it I guess. Its upto the survivors to choose a new leader to stop him (we also find out the origin of Smocke being a smoke monster, no it wasn’t a very good explaination) so up steps Jack who has now flipflopped again and wants to be on the island as its his destiny apparently, he drinks the mumbo water and now he is the new Jacob, or as we shall know him Jackob.

So off goes Jackob and his mates to try to stop Smocke from destroying the island, both sides have come to the realisation that a man named Desmond is the key to their plans (Desmond too has special powers and he can jump around in time in his mind or something, hes also aware of the reality where the crash never happened cause hes cool like that). They all meet up and Jackob and Smocke realise that whilst both want different things they both have the same plan to drop Desmond into the centre of the island as with his special powers the ‘light’ at the centre of the island will do Jackob or Smockes will, thing is noone knows which way itll go.

Whilst all of this happens on the island, in the non crash reality Desmond (who has reached some sort of higher state of awareness) is going around getting people together (including those that have died in the island reality) as with the plane not crashing nobody knows each other you see, until they meet a special person to them and then they both have flashes of the island reality and it makes them happy, which is really really sweet. So Desmond is rallying the troops, what for well we’ll get to that in a minute.

On the island Smocke appears to have won although randomly he is now human and can be hurt, this is really important for whats to come. He knocks Jackob out and legs it. Jackob wakes up and for some reason knows where Smocke is going despite the fact that he has never been to the spot of the island where Smocke now is before. Smocke has a boat and hes going to leave, but rather than climbing down to it hes happy to stand and reminisce for a while, this is to allow Jackob time to catch up. Jackob arrives and we have a reinactment of the big fight between Neo and Agent Smith from the end of the Matrix Revolutions, Jackob is stabbed and hes about to die…..but wait heres Kate (the most annoying survivor of the bunch) who has somehow worked out where this fight is taking place and she shoots Smocke, thus ending the reign of the evil smoke monster once and for all.

But wait, the island is falling apart, you can tell this from the fake rocks that are rolling around, the shaky camerawork and the actors throwing themselves around. So Jackob has to go back to the centre of the island and stop it from being destroyed, the evil Smocke is dead so the evil cannot escape therefore im not sure why they just don’t let the island go down but hey ho moving on.

So Jackob goes with Ben and another survivor called Hurley to save the island whilst annoying Kate legs it with her on/off/on/off love Sawyer to get to another island to get on a plane that is about to leave. They make it, and Jackob saves the island, before doing this he makes Hurley drink water (without the mumbo) and says hes now the new Jackob or from now on Hacob and that Ben is his number 2 (hehehe) (oh yeah cause Ben is good again now).

So the plane leaves, Jackob dies and Hacob and Ben are left behind to care for the island, though now Smocke is dead its unclear as to what they are protecting anymore, especially as everyone who knows about it is either never gonna mention it to anyone or is dead.

In the non crash reality everyone has buddied up and had their moment of clarity and now theyre all meeting up at a church. This is it folks, theres only like a few minutes left so the big reveal may be about to come…………THEYRE ALL DEAD. Yep the flash sideways was a kind of perfect life ‘purgatory’ where they get to live out their lives happy, Jack (not JackobJ) has a son, Ben gets to shack up with Alex and her mum, Charlie is still a Heroin addict errrrrrrr, Libby is still in the nut house, ummmmmmmmm, Sun and Jin still leaving their child as an orphan (Jin never gets to see the kid), sooooooo maybe not a perfect life, in fact what kind of life is it, but that’s the crack its not life its death and all of their spirits have arranged to meet up and goto heaven together (how sweet it is). See Jackob died on the island, and all those people we saw die are dead, those who survived lived long full lives but now they’ve died they’ve decided to appear in their young person form to goto heaven with their pals and that as they say is that.

But wait I hear you cry, what about –

The true reason for the Dharma Initative, also why didn’t they send people to the island when they lost contact with their people (after they were killed by the others)

Why did Widmore want the island, did he see himself as Wacob?

What was up with, and what happened to Walt?

How did the island jump around in time?

How did Desmond have the ability he did?

The numbers, (I didn’t mention them but they were like really important till the writers couldn’t be bothered anymore), why were they explained online but never in the show?

Where did the others come from and how long had they been there? (they certainly weren’t there when Jacob and Smokey were first there, are they all people brought to the island by Jacob?)

Whats up with the statue and the missing toe?

Why were only some of the souls allowed to meet up and goto heaven together, seems awfully harsh on the others?

What would have happened had Smocke got off the island?

Was Hurley given water or mumbo water? And when/how did he die?

What happened to the island?

How was anyone able to find the island when it was jumping around all over the place?

Why were Sun and Jin happy that their child was an orphan? True they were together but still

Did the sideways flashes really make sense?

Why did Smocke turn human before dying?

How did Jacks injuries appear in the dead world?

How did Frank the pilot survive the exploding submarine when he was unconscious on it and everyone else on it dies?

What happened to Richard?

Want the answers, then I guess like me youre just gonna have to make them up. Yes it shouldn’t be that EVERYTHING needs answering but really, an ending like that to a show as great as Lost, you’ve got to be kidding me.

They all died eventually and so ended up in the flash-sideways place.

Yes, didn't Christian say that some of them had died before Jack and some had died after, but that where they were there was no time?

What was really important to me while I was watching was that there would be some kind of emotional resolution for the characters. So seeing Sawyer/Juliet and Charlie/Claire and especially Sayid/Shannon back together was fab.

I was so happy that Ben was accepted as part of the group in the end, even if he didn't think he belonged there. And that Vincent survived the series.

Thinking about it afterwards, there were so many unanswered questions that I really wanted to get answers for, but maybe that doesn't matter so much. Nobody leaves this life with all the answers anyway.

I think theres such a thing as analysing too much? I know you want answers, but honestly, do you really need to know things like 'what would have happened if The Monster got off the island'? I mean, do you really need to know any more than 'it would be bad'? For me personally that's enough. 'What happened to Richard'? He got off the island, again, for me that's enough. The story wasn't about him. You could say he got off the island and got married and had kids and you could say 'what happened to his kids'? It's not the point, the point is that people live and people die, and the most important part of the survivors lives was when they were together on the island. That's why they end up together when they die. We don't need to see how long Hurley lived, or Kate, or what Richard did when he got off the island

I know you want answers, but honestly, do you really need to know things like 'what would have happened if The Monster got off the island'? I mean, do you really need to know any more than 'it would be bad'? For me personally that's enough.

Exactly. I think we can safely assume that an entity which can leap into dead bodies and reanimate them, and turn into a huge tunnel of smoke which can toss people for forty feet and rip off limbs wasn't planning to spend its freedom organising charity events for endangered wildlife.

• Moderators

Why were only some of the souls allowed to meet up and goto heaven together, seems awfully harsh on the others?

Because not everyone meets up at the same time.

Ben, for example, would end up there with Danielle etc, rather than with the Losties. Eloise would end up there with Daniel etc.

Everyone has their own group.

Seems to me that this whole, just accept it attitude is just what the creators of the show want us to have.

Everybody to a man that i know who watches Lost is gutted by what we all see frankly as a crap ending.

Its all about opinions but to just take every question and go.....dont worry about it, just accept the emotional resolution for everyone is just a copout for me.

They knew things were going to end at season six for three years but rather than resolving things they kept posing more and more questions and mysteries, it became clear as time went on that they could never resolve everything but to resolve nothing is just not cricket for me.

Take Walt for example, we spent the first couple of seasons having it drummed into us how important and special he was. The Others (under the instructions of Jacob??) kidnapped him (hardly the actions of the ambivilant Jacob we would meet later in the story imo) and birds died outside the room he was being kept in and everyone was scared of him.

He got off the island and we saw him living with his grandmother and that was that. Just saying that the actor had aged so couldnt return is rubbish and this is just one example of the shows creators giving us the big shaftaroonie.

Take a series, pose loads of questions, then gloss over most of them with a smaltzy ending where they all meet up to go to heaven under the guidence of the Christian Shepherd (for the love of god) and hope nobody minds.

I realise that for everyone like me theres probably hundreds that loved it (my girlfriend didnt mind the ending for one) but i really really feel cheated.

All about opinion and its done the job of getting us talking about it but i for one will not be buying the dvd just to watch 20 mins extra of non resolution. No im not a lost hater, i loved the show but hated the end.

For me i have two issues,a) the unanswered questions, b)the cheesiness of the conclusion. Even ignoring the unanswered questions they could have ended it with Hugo and Ben on the Island looking out over the ocean, or just with Jack(ob) closing his eye. If that was always the plan for the flash sideways then i could have done without it, i was really excited about how two possible realities could merge but the payoff was the worst possible one for me.

We could go over and over this but like ive said before im glad some of you liked the end and i will miss the show but now for all the wrong reasons.

• Moderators

Personally I think if anyone spent 6 years watching the show to find out what the numbers meant, then they had their priorities completely wrong and missed the whole point of the show.

You spend 6 years watching a show like this to be involved with the characters and their actions. So by the end, if the writers have done a good job, then the main resolutions should be with the characters.

The Jack/Locke epic cliff battle for example - it had built towards that for years. Yes, maybe it wasn't exactly Locke, but the image was superb, and I'd rather have that than "oh, Walt was special because .." any day.

I care more about relationships like Sun/Jin, or Ben's development as a person, or Jack accepting destiny than any science behind whatever may have happened on or off that island. Our attention should go towards the fantastic acting and the emotional resolution rather than worrying about 'fact' in a 'fictional' world.

So many of the mysteries surrounding the characters just didn't matter in the end. It's a shame if some people can't accept the show for what it was, but I think the writers got their priorities totally right. I'd rather have character resolution than overdose on explanations.

I agree completely. For me it was utterly perfect. In the end the show was about the characters, hence the reason half of the series was in flashback form, finding out everything about these characters. The ending is open to interpretation and you are never going to fully have an explanation for everything(did you ever really think you would have?)

I'm not saying they copped out, I don't believe they did, I think the fantastic thing about the show is that it creates hours and hours of conversation and thought, and still will with me, and a lot of it IS down to your own personal interpretation of what happens throughout the show.

I for one will love going back and re-watching it. The same things will still affect me, which was always the acting and the way that the stories were conveyed to us.

I really don't see how anyone could think that the last episode could possibly explain EVERYTHING thats ever been asked in the show. For what it was, I think it was brilliant.

Daniel died in the 70s which is weird as im sure that would create a paradox of some kind being as he wasn’t born then, but lets not go there huh.

There's no paradox there. The end of his life never got in the way of the start of it. His mother saw his fate before he even went to the Island, but never tried to change things. That would have been a paradox.

Ben, for example, would end up there with Danielle etc, rather than with the Losties. Eloise would end up there with Daniel etc.

Everyone has their own group.

Now if she started remembering, they might not be happy families there...

Ultimately all of them would have their own POV, which wouldn't always agree. Would Sayid really pick Shannon over Nadia? Each person would have there own group. For her passing surely Nadia would have A Sayid with her.