Your favourites?

Laurenx

This section of the forum has very few topics and posts at the moment - surely people still read?! I'm constantly reading something, I'm an avid reader and always have a book on the go. Anyone else the same?!

So what are everyone's favourite books?

I have so many favourites, but off the top of my head (and this is literally only a very rough list, compared to how many books I read!):

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

The Great Divorce - C.S. Lewis

The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula LeGuin

The Earthsea Quartet - Ursula LeGuin

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Persuasion - Jane Austen

The Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling

The Ninth Circle & Jasmyn - Alex Bell

Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate events - perhaps for kids but I still love them all :D

And basically a whole bunch of sci-fi and fantasy, and a whole lot of YA (guilty pleasure...)

Anyone else care to post some of their favourite books? (And get this section of the forum going a little bit?!)

Edited by Laurenx

Oh cool :WINCE: I try to read a variety of authors and genres, but if I like a particular book by one specific author I'll read all their other stuff straight after :wub: I'm a fan of Charlaine Harris too, love the Sookie Stackhouse series. Is Kelley Armstrong any good? I have one book (The Summoning) which I was bought for xmas but I haven't had time to read it yet.

The Summoning is one of her younger reader books but it's really good. you should get bitten and stolen. she likes to use a narrator in a book or two and then change to another character that you've met in previous books.

Did you know Charlaine is doing some signings in the uk shortly?

Oh right, cool :D Teen fiction has suddenly become a guilty pleasure lol, but my friend bought it (she is 27 and she's only just read it :dance:) and she wanted me to read it, she also bough me a book called Shiver which I haven't read, but I'm assuming it's the same genre...

I didn't know! I'll have to look up where and when! Thanks for the heads up :clap:

Edited by Laurenx

I read all the time - I have so many books I sometimes can't remember which I've read and which I haven't :blush:

A few of my favourite authors are Harlan Coben, Mark Billingham, Nicholas Evans, Ruth Rendell and Bill Bryson.

I'm always reading aswell my favourites are:

Jodi Picoult - read most but my favourites are Nineteen minutes & The Pact

Garth Nix - sabriel series

James Patterson - these books are just easy reads but i would recommend When the wind blows and The lake house.

Stephenie Meyer - twilight series & The Host

Audrey Niffenger - Time travellers wife and Her fearful symmetry

Nicholas Evans

I'm looking at buying the True Blood series books but not 100% are they any good? I haven't seen any of the series on tv i always like to read the books before i see the films / tv programmes.

Some of my favourites;

Handmaids tale - Margaret Atwood

The Outsiders - S.E Hinton

Watchers - Dean Koontz

Twilight saga

Anything by Charlaine Harris

Charlie Parker books - John Connolly

I love The Outsiders!! :P

Loved the film too!!!

Oh right, cool :D Teen fiction has suddenly become a guilty pleasure lol, but my friend bought it (she is 27 and she's only just read it :P) and she wanted me to read it, she also bough me a book called Shiver which I haven't read, but I'm assuming it's the same genre...

I didn't know! I'll have to look up where and when! Thanks for the heads up ;)

i love teen fiction and i'm 26 :)

I'm always reading aswell my favourites are:

Jodi Picoult - read most but my favourites are Nineteen minutes & The Pact

Garth Nix - sabriel series

James Patterson - these books are just easy reads but i would recommend When the wind blows and The lake house.

Stephenie Meyer - twilight series & The Host

Audrey Niffenger - Time travellers wife and Her fearful symmetry

Nicholas Evans

I'm looking at buying the True Blood series books but not 100% are they any good? I haven't seen any of the series on tv i always like to read the books before i see the films / tv programmes.

i prefer the true blood books to the series. think it has more humour in book form whereas the series is trying to play with the horror/adult aspect a lot more

From what I have read of the True Blood book series (which is the first two and half of the third) I do prefer the books. The show is really good, but it takes on a different angle. Although, I personally think that a plus with the show is that is embraces the other characters a bit more and you see their side and their story more than in the books.

My favourites are (in no paticular order):

Stephenie Meyer-Twilight Saga and The Host

Louise Rennison-Confessions of Georgia Nicholson

Charlaine Harris-True Blood

Richelle Mead-Vampire Acedemy

JK Rowling-Harry Potter series

• 2 weeks later...

Love these:

Stephenie Meyer - The Twilight Saga and The Host

James Ellroy - L.A. Confidential

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

Dan Brown - Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons

Anne Tyler - A Slipping Down Life

• 3 weeks later...

Tend to stick to the same authors, although I do read one offs. I generally tend to have more than one book on the go at a time.

Terry Pratchett (not just Discworld)

Brian Lumley (Just finished Necroscope, currently reading the House of Doors)

Laurell K Hamilton (currently re-reading The Harlequin)

Tanya Huff

Jim Butcher

... to name but a few.

Plus general genre stuff, like the Dragonlance series, various horror authors (King, Herbert, Stoker, Lovecraft, Poe, etc.), The Belgariad by David Eddings, Roald Dahl is still always good, CS Lewis ...

But my all time favourite book has got to be The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy.

I think I own more books than DVDs and CDs combined...

• 1 month later...

Twilight Saga & The Host - Stephanie Meyer

The Rescue, The Last Song, Dear John - Nicholas Sparks

they're the ones that spring to mind :)

Also love Melissa Hill, Patricia Scanlan, Sheila O'Flanagan, Cecilia Aherne, Nicholas Evans :)

• 1 month later...

I love reading, have done ever since i was a kid. Some of my favourites are:

Harry Potter series by JK Rowling - i have been obsessed with harry potter for more than half my life!

Jane Austen - read all of her books n my faves have to be emma and pride and prejudice

Kathy Reiches - the author that the tv series bones is based on, theres only 1 of hers i haven't read yet and have loved tham all

To kill a mocking bird by harper lee- probably the only book that i had to read in school that i actually liked

The morganville vampire series - just finished reading all 8 of them, was hooked, now impatiently waiting for the 9th to be released

theres loads more books that i've read n enjoyed but these are my faveourite ones :)

• 6 months later...

I have LOADS of favourites. I tend to stick to authors that I find I enjoy, but do read recommended books from people who have similar tastes to myself.

Authors: (in no particular order!)

Robert Jordon (RIP :wub: )

Brandon Sanderson

Tamora Pierce

Maria V. Snyder

Richelle Mead

Sherwood Smith

Naomi Novik

JK Rowling

Stephenie Meyer

Mary Hoffman

Jane Austen

JRR Tolkien

Louisa May Alcott

Eva Ibbotson

i'm sure there's more that I've not listed here.

I like to read series as well.

• 11 months later...

A lot of my favourite books tend to be series' by the same authors so I'll just say my favourite authors:

Darren Shan

JK Rowling

Cate Tiernan

Cassandra Clare

Charlaine Harris

Kelley Armstrong

Aside from those authors I have two other favourite books: 'The Raging Quiet' by Sherryl Jordan and 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen.

• 1 month later...

my fave authors are:

Kelley armstrong ( my top fave for sure, the otherworld series is the best series EVER!!!)

Rick riordan

Alex Scarrow

J.K Rowling

Pittacus Lore

Old Clive Barker( i say old cos it's been a while since he has written a good book!!)