Brian J Smith not coming according to his Twitter

elenmai

Has he been to any con's before? He may not have considered the new series/ease them in concept.

I think San Diego, along with David and the others. But I am not aware of anything else.

Add Teal'c in the corner eating a tub of ice-cream!

I'll raise you Vala eating a Twinkie. :lol:

I was at another event when I got the news about the announcements for Chevron. I was beyond excited that David was coming.
Dumping Shanks for Hewlett are you? :lol:

:D

Actually Ben Browder made me promise to get a certain photo signed by David and that's why I was so over the moon. :lol:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer that he is not going.

Brian did leave a very bad impression with his first tweet "not interested in going to a SG1/Atlantis con" with a lot of people. He did come across as arrogant and snotty for some. Like "I am too good to share the stage with the other guests." That may not have been the impression he wanted to leave, but he has left it. The fan that tweeted him and got this reaction is not the only one thinking this, he was just the first one to openly say it.

This is the problem with the 'typed word'. It may lead misinterpretation. I can see why peple have took it like that. I have to admit that on first reading I read it as that he has no interest in going to an event that may appear to him be to mainly concenrating on SG1/SGA with a 'token' person thrown in from SGU. Obviously I know thats not the case and it is a Stargate con supporting all series. However if that is his line of thought then I can understand his reluctance to attend. He may be a shy person and not want to 'promote' a new series on his own, especially one that appears to be less than well received.

Has he been to any con's before? He may not have considered the new series/ease them in concept. I am guessing he didn't consult David Blue about his experience at the last one either which is a shame.

Awesome scene that would that be, i think mitchell, jack and shepherd, sitting htere in the corner watching while trying so hard to keep up with them, just turn to one another and play a game of cards ahhahahaha
Add Teal'c in the corner eating a tub of ice-cream!

hahahahah yes and hoping he could sneak off to watch starwars for like the 12th or 13th time hahahahahhah

I'm still mystified and quite bummed about the whole thing tbh. It's never good when you dont know all the facts and circumstances as the wrong impression is so easy to assume. Reading Brian's Twitter posts and replies does not put him in a good light IMO.

I was really looking forward to meeting Brian and just hope he comes over some other time.

It will be interesting to see if he does that other SG con in the US if he is the only SGU guest there too. If he does then his reasoning is a bit off!

I'm like alot of people on here...I started with SG1 after seeing the movie and then grew to love the series. However, I think I'm more of a fan of SGA and am slightly bitter about it being cancelled lol but that didnt stop me being interested in SGU as a new show and it still being part of the franchise. I have to admit that I'm not finding it overly good but have been encouraged to keep at it after meeting David Blue. He was such a legend that I want to watch to see him. I was hoping it would have been the same with Brian.

Anyway, essay over lol. I'm sure the weekend will still be excellent as they always are! Bring on the wine haha!

xxxx

I personally will not be able to attend this event but if I was I would be saddened at Brian's cancellation as at this moment in time I would be a little more interested in meeting SGU guests since that's the current ongoing show.

This tweet was sent to him: "*shakes head* ..We are part of one BIG Stargate family. ONE fandom, not 3 separate ones! Didn't you know..?" later by ""Hope I wasn't' rude or anything, I just felt like saying this. Hope you understand."

And it received this response from Brian: "Not rude at all - and I've always thought that way myself. Twitter is just a VERY bad communication platform."

Judging by that he may not of said it the way he intended and so everyone took it the wrong way.

Like a lot of you I have been a fan of the franchise for many years and I was a little annoyed at Atlantis cancellation (With SGU getting the green light the very next day). I don't believe I would have gave it a fair chance, but the comic con trailer for SGU did a lot to spark my interest and so I made a policy to go into SGU with no opinion one way or the other.

I had some issues with the pilot (such as the use of flashbacks) but they were resolved in future episodes. I now fully enjoy SGU and believe it has the potential to surpass its predecessors. But there has been quite a lot of hate towards SGU mostly because of Atlantis's cancellation and the fact that it has had a slower pace. There is even a site dedicated to the cancellation of SGU and the return of SG-1/Atlantis and I have honestly never seen more immature people in my life.

Anyway hope to see some more SGU guests in the future (Hopefully not only at this Stargate Con) :thumbup:

Edited by Tanith

O'Neill will have a bowl of fruit loops :P

Who was it with the Blue Yello again? :lol:

Was it sam carter?

sorry, I know I am not coming to this, but believe me I would if I had the cash :(

I think it is only getting controversial cos of the way the news broke. Sad really :(

Yup, Sam. Thank you. I so completely blanked last night.

And I agree: it's all Twitter's fault. ;):lol:

Just want to say thanks to showmaster for their confirmation on this. personally I think its a real shame to lose Brian as a guest (for whatever reason) I would have like to have a representative from SG-1, SGA and SGU but I can see at this late stage that may not be possible. Looking forward to meeting the other guests

"Twitter is just a VERY bad communication platform."

Probably wasn't the best idea to announce it on there first then :headscratch:

I wouldn't claim to know the guy well but brian isn't the sort of person to just wake up and decide to tweet it on a whim, I'm convinced he wouldn't have announced it himself unless he thought it had already worked it's was to the organisers via his booking agent/manager

To say that BJS handled this poorly is an understatement. :lol:

Giving him the benefit of the doubt - he thought/assumed his manager/agent put a "conditional to ..." clause in the contract and that his manager/agent notified Showmasters about his withdrawal from the con - he still comes off as being childish. He's "not interested in going to an SGA/SG1 convention" - from a purely professional standpoint, I can't imagine TPTB were very pleased with that comment. Responding to a tweet (that maybe was rude but not out of line), "I'd airlock you" - my 15 year old wouldn't say something like that.

Personally, I was looking forward to seeing BJS and hearing about the show. I may not be crazy about his character but I learned from previous cons that the ones I least expected to enjoy turned out to be great. Chuck Campbell, for example, was the highlight of our first con experience tbh.

I guess one of the lessons learned is to "think before you tweet". It may come back to haunt you. Another might be to be careful when adding "smilies" to even the most polite of posts - they can be misinterpreted.

Not as eloquently put as previous posts but couldn't help adding my two cents :lol:

Edited by Lisinit

O'Neill will have a bowl of fruit loops :lol:

Who was it with the Blue Yello again? :D

Was it sam carter?

sorry, I know I am not coming to this, but believe me I would if I had the cash :(

I think it is only getting controversial cos of the way the news broke. Sad really :(

Yup, Sam. Thank you. I so completely blanked last night.

And I agree: it's all Twitter's fault. :P:D

Its one of my absolute favourite episodes :huh:

If you start a new job for example dont you reasearch about it etc... He failed to read that it was an event for sg1 and sga aswell of sgu. And failed to read the post about sgu guests ..... Showmasters make sure you get every penny back !

I dont think people around here will want him back!!!

Same here. Please don't try to convince him, that he should come to this event! I've heard from a lot of friends, if he will come, they wouldn't go to the photoshooting and singing and most of them would protest during the panels. I think this could ruin a wonderful weekend :YAHOO:

Please try to find someone else. A SGU actor would be perfect for all the fans of this show, but I will be also happy with any other actor but Brian. If nobody have time to come, I would be happier with the five guest than with him at all.

Protest? Anybody who openly talks of protesting a guest attending at the event should really risk being denied entry, it's the height of rudeness to the guest and other attendees and causes disruption to many.

I'm not entirely pleased about some of the other guests, but they'll get my respect at the panels as they have no reason not to

I really think the mods should consider whether a comment on their forums about protesting any guest in any situation should be viewed unfavorablely

Hi Colonel Ez - I agree, obviously I'm disappointed Brian isn't coming as is most people, but to think of treating them badly or being rude to them I think is awful. He's been very apologetic and open about him not coming and I respect him for that.

There is never any guarantee that any guest will make it and they can cancel / change their mind for any reason - it is a long way for them to come to the UK and I know they get paid but things change and all we're guaranteed when we buy a ticket is that there will be at least 4 guests and we just need to take a risk when we buy a ticket.

I'm going to enjoy the event regardless and I'm really looking forward to it - sure it would be great if Brian was coming but I'm not going to hold it against him and will have a great time regardless.

I'm not going to remove that comment because all that post does is mentioning other posts. It's pretty much a summary of posts on other forums. Just check Gateworld for example.

Also sheepyie is German, and I think she may mean something differently with "protest" than you.

Protest can have many forms. If someone wants to leave the room because they don't want to see a guest on stage, that's their fair right and may be seen as a form of protest too. Nobody has ever thrown tomatoes or something like that, and I really think we are all mature enough not to do that. :lol:

There is never any guarantee that any guest will make it and they can cancel / change their mind for any reason

Yes, there never is a guarantee. They can cancel for work reasons or personal reasons - like sick relative or something. But this is the first cancellation ever that we had because a guest changed their mind and doesn't want to come anymore - and openly admit that.

I can see why someone would like it that Brian was so open. But I can also see why others are so mad about it. If he simply had stated "can't make it anymore" instead of going into those details this would have upset people a lot less.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I'm not going to remove that comment because all that post does is mentioning other posts. It's pretty much a summary of posts on other forums. Just check Gateworld for example.

Also sheepyie is German, and I think she may mean something differently with "protest" than you.

Protest can have many forms. If someone wants to leave the room because they don't want to see a guest on stage, that's their fair right and may be seen as a form of protest too. Nobody has ever thrown tomatoes or something like that, and I really think we are all mature enough not to do that. :lol:

In my book a protest is a protest, right now i have little interest in hearing what a three episode guest star from 10 years ago will have to say, or a 6 episode guest star from 2 years ago that i honestly had to google before i recognised, but will i go there and walk out when they speak? no, if i felt that strongly about not wanting to see them i'd go have a drink in the bar during their panel - and who knows, they may change my mind upon meeting them, thats what meeting the stars is all about.

I look at gateworld, thats a different forum, here - on the organisers forum we have a post that references the possiblity of a group protest should a certain guest attend

If thats mature, then our barometers for maturity must differ greatly

Edited by Colonel_Ez

Same here. Please don't try to convince him, that he should come to this event! I've heard from a lot of friends, if he will come, they wouldn't go to the photoshooting and singing and most of them would protest during the panels. I think this could ruin a wonderful weekend :lol:

Please try to find someone else. A SGU actor would be perfect for all the fans of this show, but I will be also happy with any other actor but Brian. If nobody have time to come, I would be happier with the five guest than with him at all.

I am assuming you have meant something different than this sounds, because as bad as it is for people to go on twitter and say things which may come over wrong , it is also bad for anyone on this forum to talk of protest against any guest .

I assume you just mean that if he turned up your friends would not take their free autograph from him.

Oh my, such a lot of chatter.

I suggest we all look forward to a cracking event, although I suspect there will be some convo over the weekend about all this. Ryan Robbins and David Hewlett are 2 fab guests and well worth seeing.