The Hub 3 - Feedback

Persephone1

I agree about Gareth being everywhere, not that I'm complaining, I too nearly walked into him when I went round the corner to the lifts, I was going to say hi but he looked deep in thought, so I just left it. I've not had enough of him, I think he did a great job holding it together especially with James cancelling and all the rest being con newbies until Kai turned up.

xxx

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remembered something else where ths same comments were made at hub 1 & 2 and same thing happened again this time.

When anything like the skit is performed can you please get all the people who stand around the stage area to sit down - on the floor if necessary.

This would mean everyone gets to see what is happening.

• Moderators

Just remembered something else where ths same comments were made at hub 1 & 2 and same thing happened again this time.

When anything like the skit is performed can you please get all the people who stand around the stage area to sit down - on the floor if necessary.

This would mean everyone gets to see what is happening.

We were at the front and actually suggested this, and the crew said no, as the sitting down people would be in danger of being crushed.

Hotel

I must say that the only problem I had with the Hotel Staff was in the Bar area, where even when the bar was 2 thirds empty it took 30 minutes to get served and another 30 minutes to get my food, I then had to accost someone to pay so I could leave! The cleaning staff and reception were fine with me and very polite.

My main issue was food, as one of a minority (although I was talking to someone else with the same issue) I have a wheat intolerance so the cheap food was not much use to me as I can't eat bread or pasta. I ended up eating either junk, or the very expensive hotel food. I also think that the hotel parking is extortionate!

The Hub

I have to thank the crew, they were very helpful and polite, I had a nice relaxed weekend, got all my photos and autographs with no stress (much better than other cons I have been to). The only issue I had was that during the Gold drinks party, I managed to meet no one, despite standing in a group in the same place the whole time. I think too tall has a very good idea, I have been to previous events when there were tables to sit around, and 1 seat was left empty for the guest, it was then guaranteed that you would meet everyone.

I think next time I will be getting a Silver Ticket.

That wasnt a problem at the Hub 2 as the skit was performed while the chairs where still set out after the talks.

But yes, having it with people just crowding round isnt a good way of doing it.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Although I was lucky to be near the front next to the speaker, as someone who was on walking sticks it was nervewracking for a good while when Kai came on. Seats would've been fairer, especially with a considerable portion of attendees either young ie shorter, or mobility impaired. Or at least to least let people know which option it was going to be before the doors opened, to give them a chance to make suitable arrangements.

As far as the newbie guests went, I think they all did well, even if one or two were a bit stunned at the amount of attendees and our levels of craziness. lol

Rik was awesome, my friend (Never) gave him a sketch she'd done of him and he came round the table and hugged her. Later on that day he passed our group sitting on some sofas and stopped for a bit of a talk and to say thanks again. Seriously, he was great. ^^

And Ben was crazy. Absolutely insane. When we went to get our autos there was no one in the queue so we talked and it ended up with some of us pulling the table cloth tight so he could sign it. XD

Then later on he showed us a magic trick with his hands. lol

The lack of crew presence at the Sunday night party. I get that you guys had probably had had enough of us by then, but just a token show would've been nice. Or something that felt less like a damp squib rather than a rousing send off. With the theme, the result felt more like a shabby school disco than a proper party.

Sunday night has always been typically a 'dead dog party' and most of the crew had gone home. I don't know if ME want to start rota-ing crew in for the late Sunday like they do with the signing events, but after working until 10pm Friday, 8-8.30 Saturday and 8.30-7 Sunday most of the crew are rightfully kinda tired.

Rik was awesome, my friend (Never) gave him a sketch she'd done of him and he came round the table and hugged her. Later on that day he passed our group sitting on some sofas and stopped for a bit of a talk and to say thanks again. Seriously, he was great. ^^

He absolutely adored that sketch - kept looking at it and showing it to people, and making sure I had it safe at all times. The crew member organising the queue went and got a hard folder to put it into while he was doing his photo shoot so it was safe. Fair to say your friend made an impression on him with that!

[quote name='hells childe 17' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:15 PM' post=

Autos. One gripe ! For extra autos and pics you had to wait untill the last group is called, which is no problem, until you see someone in the q next to yours getting extra before the end of the groups are called. Especially knowing full well they had there's already as they were in front of you the day before !! BTW i waited till the last of the groups were called to get my last GDL auto.

Much as I agree that you do have to wait until all the groups have gone through before getting extras. I had a situation which I explained to Too Tall where we had photos with kai & daniela plus autographs with I think it was liz may brice all in the schedule of 12-1. But also wanted an extra auto from Gareth who in the schedule was also due to end at 1pm. Too Tall advised us to go down and get Gareths before all the groups had been. So I do understand what ur saying but sometimes there are other factors as to why this happens.

I understand that people have missed it or some clash, a couple of ours did but i know these people hadn't !

I haven't got a problem with people going in if they have somewhere else to be, i even offered for someone to go before me in one of the other q's. Its those that think they can get in when they want to, clearly because they think they can. I nearly missed my last auto with Gareth because of having to wait, i was one of the last people he signed for on Sunday.

Edited by hells childe 17

One slightly off-topic thing to say...

I want to thank everyone who at the Sunday night disco started yelling 'Torchwood!' instead of 'Ghostbusters!' to the Ghostbusters song. XD I think I might have started that, and it was hilarious to hear at least half the people on the dancefloor join in.

And the 'stolen tables' at the Sunday disco were a nice touch. ^^ As well as the traffic cones which I heard were actually nicked from the M6? :D

And Saturday's Balloon Arch. I expected it to be broken or gone by the end of the night as people took balloons from it but no, it was still there. :)

Edited by Aisha

The lack of crew presence at the Sunday night party. I get that you guys had probably had had enough of us by then, but just a token show would've been nice. Or something that felt less like a damp squib rather than a rousing send off. With the theme, the result felt more like a shabby school disco than a proper party.

Sunday night has always been typically a 'dead dog party' and most of the crew had gone home. I don't know if ME want to start rota-ing crew in for the late Sunday like they do with the signing events, but after working until 10pm Friday, 8-8.30 Saturday and 8.30-7 Sunday most of the crew are rightfully kinda tired.

Please also remember that most of the crew have a full time job as well as volunteering for this, so most of us can't actually stay because we have to get home for work the next day :WAVE: . Its not because we want to leave you to party without us!

One thing I would suggest is that the groups be small in number if possible. Say 12-15 people per group at the very most, 8-10 would be much better. The bigger the group the easier it is for the shy people to lost in the back of the crowd.

Morgan

While I can see the positives about that and there are many, I can imagine that it would make scheduling a much more difficult job and calling people's groups a bit harder. If they weren't a problem though, that would be quite cool. :blush:

Ooops!:D I was in a rush when I wrote this yesterday & wasn't very clear I don't think. What I was talking about was smaller groups for the drinks reception only. For the talks & autographs the approx 30 people per group is more than fine.

If SM/ME decides to use the table idea that someone suggested, most hotel banquet tables seat 8-10 people any way. I'm a bit uncertain about the table idea though because of space constraints (the tables are rather large). Assuming it's held in the same place as it was @ Hub2, I'm not sure there's enough room for for 15 or so tables needed to seat everyone. And that going on the assumption of of only 150 gold tickets.

One good thing I can see about the table idea would be, going back to shy folks hiding thing, that in between chatting w/ the guests the attendees can chat w/ each other. And why yes I AM one of the shy folks even if I'm one of those that once you get me talking I can talk your ears off! :D

Hope this makes more sense than the quoted post.

Morgan

I seem to be the only one who has had enough of Gareth!

Don't know if it was because I'd never done one of these before, and become he was essentially the main attraction as it where, because of the unfortunate circumstances regarding James + John, but he seemed to be everywhere....

so much that I full on walked into him coming out of a lift at one point!

Well, he is human with a want to walk around like other attendees so let him walk around, I bumped into him one time and ignored him cos i didn't want to be tarnished with the brush of 'fangirl' and go up and crowd him on my ownsome. But feeling him watch as i waited for the lift I did engage him as he walked past.

Did want to spend more time talking to Clarky but not distrub him or Gareth so left them be in the bar area while I went deaf :blush: You know who you are.

Ooops!:blush: I was in a rush when I wrote this yesterday & wasn't very clear I don't think. What I was talking about was smaller groups for the drinks reception only. For the talks & autographs the approx 30 people per group is more than fine.

Morgan

Ah, sorry for my misinterpretation lol. You probably wrote that when there was all of the Gold Drinks discussion so I probably didn't put the two together by mistake. I'm one of the shy people too, don't worry, I know what you meant now. :D

Edited by Doctor Who

Can we not have the same questions asked over and over again, Gareth's talk with Daniela apart from favourite line/quote was all about Ianto's death/how to bring him back. i got bored and actually wanted out (more so because lights were making me more dizzy and lack of fluids). i asked Daniela about what it was like to kiss Naoko which seemed with all the questions she answered to be one of very few to be linked with Torchwood rather then her other roles =/

This was my first Hub so I can't really compare them to other ones but I thoroughly enjoyed the talks. I think there were definitely missed question opportunities though, I would have loved to have heard what Nikki had to say about 'Sleeper' but can't actually remember her answering one question about her episode. Next time, I'll make sure that I send in lots of questions now that I know how the panels work. I can't wait for The Hub 4 now, even though it's next year. :thumbup::P

Edited by Doctor Who

This was my first Hub so I can't really compare them to other ones but I thoroughly enjoyed the talks. I think there were definitely missed question opportunities though, I would have loved to have heard what Nikki had to say about 'Sleeper' but can't actually remember her answering one question about her episode. Next time, I'll make sure that I send in lots of questions now that I know how the panels work. I can't wait for The Hub 4 now, even though it's next year. :(;)

Little box at reg desk with slips of paper to ask questions on. ;) Well, if you compare Gareth/Daniela's talk with others at Hub 3 don't you feel it was quite repetitive?

• Moderators

The "whats it like to kiss John Barrowman" questions are so annoying. He's not going to have a different answer everytime.

Hear, hear! Besides, he hates them with a passion.

I think he gave a very good answer at Hub3... *nods*

The "whats it like to kiss John Barrowman" questions are so annoying. He's not going to have a different answer everytime.

I missed this, but its not the same asking Daniela what it was like to kiss Naoko.

Oh and he has a tee saying not to ask him what it was like to kiss John...