When will new guests be announced?

sbuffy

If anyone for one second thought the kind of A-list celebrities would be the likes of Johnny Depp, Jennifer Aniston etc, then I feel sorry for them.

Nimoy is as A-list as they come in these kind of conventions. Really people...

I guess it's understandable that some of the less "committed"* attendees might not have realised this, associated the term "A-List" with the altogether more common use found in the tabloids, Heat, OK etc, and arrived at the wrong conclusion. Upon calm reflection, the idea that you might pay a tenner to get into a well-known London conference centre and find say Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise and Angelina Joliesitting around slurping lattes and greeting all-comers was beyond unlikely - you'd be lucky to get into the same postcode as any of them for a tenner, let alone the same large room. The idea that you'd be able to go to a rather lesser-known conference facility in Milton Keynes and get in for free (and with free transport from the station) and find Jack and Tom and la Jolie sitting around ready to shoot the breeze and squiggle their moniker for a small sum is, well, the sort of thing that might get you fast-tracked onto your company's drug-testing program :D

* by which I mean folk who may not be as wholly immersed in the whole convention and signing scene as the mainstays here. No offence intended; everyone has their own level of involvement.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

</pointless pedantry>

You knew perfectly well that Johnny Depp was never going to be doing a signing event - I don't understand the point of having a go at SM over semantics. If you really thought that Tom Cruise was going to be announced, as TommyT says you need to enrol yourself into a rehab program.

Yes, A List is A List, fine, you've made your point. But you knew exactly what Jason meant.

If anyone for one second thought the kind of A-list celebrities would be the likes of Johnny Depp, Jennifer Aniston etc, then I feel sorry for them.

Nimoy is as A-list as they come in these kind of conventions. Really people...

I guess it's understandable that some of the less "committed"* attendees might not have realised this, associated the term "A-List" with the altogether more common use found in the tabloids, Heat, OK etc, and arrived at the wrong conclusion

I've been to every single SM signing event apart from one as a dealer, so I'd say I am committed.

" When will new guests be announced?"

when they are announced :poki:

jason

:chair: Good answer :chair:

Does that mean it was a good question too? :chair:

It was short and direct and had a question mark at the end so, from that point of view, yes it was a good question. But I'm guessing that's not what you mean ................. :poki:

I think it's quite clear that what SM meant was "A List in the context of the sort of guests who would realistically do an event like this". In that context, Christopher Lloyd is a good example of an A List guest, as in Tapping, as is Nimoy. Did you ever really think that they meant Johnny Depp when they said A List?
I don't disagree with you but I must point out it's kinda questionable as to why SM would go as far as to put it this way:

now we can put whoever we want into this new venue with out restrictions and put in up to 7 "A" list guests so who do you want to meet

It says "whoever we want without restrictions". Surly though there must be some restrictions?

• Showmasters Admin
I think it's quite clear that what SM meant was "A List in the context of the sort of guests who would realistically do an event like this". In that context, Christopher Lloyd is a good example of an A List guest, as in Tapping, as is Nimoy. Did you ever really think that they meant Johnny Depp when they said A List?
I don't disagree with you but I must point out it's kinda questionable as to why SM would go as far as to put it this way:

now we can put whoever we want into this new venue with out restrictions and put in up to 7 "A" list guests so who do you want to meet

It says "whoever we want without restrictions". Surly though there must be some restrictions?

Obviously yes. There are going to be financial restrictions. There is a physical limit to how many autographs a guest can sign in a day, so if you keep the maximuim price at a reasonable level (£25 per auto) there is going to be a limit on the amount that can be offered to get a guest. That limit may not be enough to get a $50M a film movie star. Hopefully people understand that those actors that get those kinds of figures for films aren't going to do a shows for a small figure. The possible income from a guest has to be at least a bit higher than the out goings for them to be viable at a show.

What Jason was talking about was the physical restrictions being placed on us by the old venue. We had to be very aware of the number of people that we may have in queues. As soon as those queues started to block shop doors we were in hot water with the venue. So if we knew a guest was going to have a queue of more than say 600 people in a morning we had to look at putting them down a wing. And as you know we only had 2 of those, and at the last show even they were taken from us.

At the stadium we do not have this restriction and so we can look at having more guests like John Barrowman that had a 1500 person queue in the morning. It means at the new venue Jason can book numerous big guests like that without having to worry about the knock on effects on the centre.

That is what Jason means by "without restrictions".

Edited by Too Tall

• 1 month later...

Showmasters seem to leave announcing most guests until much closer to the dates of the events these days. It's frustrating and makes planning for attending really hard, but there's probably good reasons for it.

Edited by Princess83

I just wanna make a point about all the winging on A-list guests. I think you'll find that Tom Wopat is very much an A-list guest as I went to Dukesfest to see him and there were over 120 thousand people there over 2 days to meet him and other cast members...if that's not A-list, I don't know what is ?????!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

There are going to be financial restrictions. There is a physical limit to how many autographs a guest can sign in a day, so if you keep the maximuim price at a reasonable level (£25 per auto) there is going to be a limit on the amount that can be offered to get a guest. That limit may not be enough to get a $50M a film movie star. Hopefully people understand that those actors that get those kinds of figures for films aren't going to do a shows for a small figure. The possible income from a guest has to be at least a bit higher than the out goings for them to be viable at a show.

At the stadium we do not have this restriction and so we can look at having more guests like John Barrowman that had a 1500 person queue in the morning. It means at the new venue Jason can book numerous big guests like that without having to worry about the knock on effects on the centre.

I have to admit I don't quite understand the apparently universal appeal of John Barrowman compared to some of the guests we've had, but it's horses for courses, after all - different people like different things. One thing I will say (and I know I've harped on about this before) is that for me personally £25 isn't a ceiling - I'd be quite happy to pay more for the right guest. Some people seem to think that would convince Jeremy Bulloch to start charging £50, which I think is ludicrous... if that's the only way to get the bigger guests, so be it.

If someone like Kurt Russell did a forward roll into a signing desk at 9am and put up a sign saying "£45 Suckers!", I'd be ok with it - on the understanding that that's what it took to get him there, and he wouldn't be there otherwise. Christopher Lee was once briefly announced at £45, an announcement that seemed to be met with universal acclaim at the time.

Showmasters seem to leave announcing most guests until much closer to the dates of the events these days. It's frustrating and makes planning for attending really hard, but there's probably good reasons for it.

I'm sure they'd announce them earlier if they could. After all, it gives them more time to take out adverts etc., and there's nothing like a big name to pull in the punters. Apart from anything else with the Exchange rate as it is now, it's probably harder to pay enough to glean the bigger guests away from 'domestic' (i.e. US) appearances.

This having been said, it is getting closer and closer to the event, so I can understand where people are coming from. We'll just have to see what comes up.

Edited by MikeDonovan

I agree with MikeDonovan, I would pay way more than £25 for the right guest, if, as you quite rightly put it "that's what it took to get him there, and he wouldn't be there otherwise".

Anyway, looking forward to new announcements when they are announced.

There's still a few weeks to go.

Plenty of time for a lot more guest announcements yet.

C14 announced more than a few guests in the last week or two coming up to the event, you can probably expect to see some new guests announced in May. ;)

There's still a few weeks to go.

Plenty of time for a lot more guest announcements yet.

C14 announced more than a few guests in the last week or two coming up to the event, you can probably expect to see some new guests announced in May. :D

Hope so. New guests are being added to LFCC on a regular basis including one today, and that's not until after C15.

Chris Lee...

He'd be an awesome guest.

:o

I think I saw you knocking about at Midlands, Abstract - Prison shirt?

Yeah man.

Huge big Manc! That's me - LOL.

I have three 'con shirts'.

My Orange Prison shirt (Sonny Landham liked that one...)

My Blue FBI Shirt &

Marvel Characters shirt.

I tend to rotate them round SM events but I'll always be in one or the other.

I agree with MikeDonovan, I would pay way more than £25 for the right guest, if, as you quite rightly put it "that's what it took to get him there, and he wouldn't be there otherwise".

Anyway, looking forward to new announcements when they are announced.

I agree, I'd pay a lot more for a guest, if it was the only way of getting them to appear.