The 11th Doctor announcment!

Magenta_Jan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7807742.stm

According to this BBC news report the 11th doctor will be revealed in a Doctor Who Confidential programme on BBC One at 1735 on 3 January.

Ooh I can't wait :lol:

I'm kinda surprised they are doing it this early but woohoo its an early birthday surprise for me lol

Edited by Magenta_Jan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the BBC news article said the made everything official with the new actor over xmas. They are doing it now as I really cant see them being able to keep it under wraps untill 2010, especially as season 5 is supposed to start filming this summer. We have had lots of pics from the sets before, so they wouldnt be able to keeo it secret for long after filming started.

And im sure the BBC could find a way of picking someone rubbish, but I have faith.

My bet: Sean Pertwee

Apparently, the bookies favourite is Paterson Joseph who is in Survivors at the moment.

As regards when he oe she was officially signed to be the 11th Doctor, there has been tak of a new Doctor for some time and more so since RTD announced he was going.

I hope it isn't a major name , but rather someone who is known but not in a big way. I must say that both Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant were known to me for the odd thing rather than one major character they ahd played etc.

From a brief clip of DT commenting on the new Doctor, he seems very excited at who will be taking over from him.

From a brief clip of DT commenting on the new Doctor, he seems very excited at who will be taking over from him.

I cannot wait to hear who is taking over..but so glad we still have David for another year...still gonna take time to get used to him not being the doctor when he leaves

But the statement from the Head of Drama in Wales, it does seem he is incredibly excited about it...the impression i got anyway is that it is an acomplished actor. So glad i found out about the announcement though otherwise i would've missed it lol

Edited by cookies41

Coincidence????

Colin Salmon appeared live on socceram this morning, so is out and about today in the self publicity market???

I didnt hear what he said, so dont know if he was asked about Dr Who, but even if he was I'm sure he wouldn't have said so, as the BBC sem intent on a controlled announcement tonight.

I have been watching Doctor Who ever since Tom Baker was the Doctor. I have to say that I'm not very impressed at all with the casting of Matt Smith.

Whether I will change my mind when he's in the role I'm not sure but there were better actors out there.

Am I the only unhappy person?

Lets hope he's better in the role than he looks.

Tbh I'm not sure what to make of Matt Smith as I've not seen him in anything but I must admit he obviously is very excited about the role and that's a good thing. He does seem rather young but obviously the producers etc see something special in him so I'll trust their judgement til I get the opportunity to see him in action for myself.

I must admit though that I think they have possibly done some shrewd casting as when I first saw him, his style reminded me of Edward in the Twilight movies so if they keep that as his style for the show it could potentially draw in the younger female fans.

I'm so happy that the next doctor is going to be Matt Smith, although I fear that now he's going to have to put up with a year and bit of being constantly told by fans that he'll be rubbish and not as good as The Tennant.

Let's see him in the role folks eh? Give the poor bloke a chance.

I'm so happy that the next doctor is going to be Matt Smith, although I fear that now he's going to have to put up with a year and bit of being constantly told by fans that he'll be rubbish and not as good as The Tennant.

I agree with you. There are a lot of Tennant fans that are more his fans than Doctor Who fans. Don't get me wrong I think he's been a wonderful Doctor but I'm quietly confident Matt will be awesome. Just my opinion based on things I've seen him in before and his interview in which I thought he came across as a cool guy.

• Moderators

My happiness mainly stems from the fact that it isn't someone hugely well known. I think this gives the guy a chance to put his own stamp on the role, and not be overly pre-judged .. even though some people already are!

I know he's had a few decent roles, and I've enjoyed his work that I have seen, and he does have the kinda vibe that I'd expect from someone that is playing The Doctor.

Being a 'good' actor doesn't automatically mean you can pull off the role. I couldn't have imagined half the rumoured people in the role.

Oh and I'm glad they've gone for someone 'different' i.e. age wise, but not someone COMPLETELY different i.e. black or female. That was the last thing I wanted for the role - someone cast for the sake of being politically correct or whatever you want to call it.

Edited by DavidB

I can remember when both Ecclestone and Tennant were first announced and they got mixed reactions in the same way Matt Smith has on here; yet they became firm favourites when the show started.

I am glad that they didn't put in a "household" name, and was looking forward to Paterson Joseph being a potential Doctor. But Matt Smith has thatlook about him that could continue with the modern Who Universe started by CE and thumped home by DT.

Im glad to see him as the Doctor! I will sadly miss David Tennant, but look forward to seeing Matt take over. He looks like he will be a great Doctor, very enthusiastic about the role lol

He is from Northampton! He went to the same school as my cousin, at the same time!

I'm happy for the same reason. An unknown. No preconceptions. Concerned about the age thing? Not really. Moffat made it clear he didn't cast Matt Smith because of his age, but rather because he liked what he saw acting wise. That gives me faith.

When I saw the announcement and found out how old Matt is, the first thing that I began to wonder about was how old his companion will be .

Does seem a little young for the role, but will keep an open mind about this, more so that Stephen Moffat is at the helm now.