Thoughts On The Movie?

betttthhhh

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved it too but I kept thinking 'Where is the scene where Emmett says "Shes not one of us".' Because I did not see it...

Sooo glad someone else noticed that....I thought I was going mad!! Disappointed it was cut as I'm turning into a bit of an Emmett fan and was actually looking forward to seeing that bit!

Overall I LOVED the movie. I know they cant do it exactly like the book and now re-reading it, I've realised that they did put most of the important stuff in just in different settings etc. Like in the woods instead of in the car.

I wished they would have done the meadow scene like the book and made more of the ending with the hotel etc. And the beach scene where Bella and Jacob talk....where was the driftwood "seat" and the campfire?!

Disappointed that the Cullen house wasnt white like in the book and on the whole wasnt as I'd imagined and I still picture Laurent differently.

But these are all just minor gripes lol!!

Loved how Nikki played Rosalie but sooo wanted all the Cullens to have more screen time.

The baseball scene was my def fave. I love that Muse song tho so I think that helped!

I def need to see it again <3

xxxx

Just come back from the cinema having sat through my 3rd screening this weekend (4 times in total)! I really will have to go again though, I keep missing things because I can't take my eyes off Rob!!!

timpe and I both loved it. We saw it twice over the weekend. The second time was at 9.20am and we were the only two in the cinema :chair: We could talk about it the whole way through - it was brilliant.

I had been worried about ILM doing sparkly Edward, but it was really well done. I'd imagined mental sunrays coming off him and stuff like that, but it was very subtle. Not sure about the tinkling noise on the soundtrack - could've done without that.

Jasper's facial expressions were just hilariously funny. The scene when they're walking onto the bus and he looks at Bella out of the corner of his eye is stonking.

Taylor HAS to stay as Jacob. He was exactly how I pictured him to be.

You can tell Rob was playing the "Midnight Sun" version of Edward with all the tortured, self-hating that was going on. Perfect.

The only thing I wasn't really keen on was the make up, particularly Carlisle's. He look ridiculously white. And Rob seemed to have a white like across his neck.

Warning - this will be a long post!!!

I went it with the lowest expectations imaginable, and I was pretty much blown away. I did have some minor gripes - Carlise's makeup was too chalky, Jasper doesn't have much to do but hold his breath and look tortured, and the speedy vampire effect was cheesy at times, but these were tiny complaints compared to the masses of good points.

Firstly, the cinematography is gorgeous. The landscape looks so dreamy in that muted palate of cool blues and greens.

I love that Bella narrated parts of the film - it captured the intimacy of the book perfectly. The human characters were all so vividly drawn - in the book Bella's decision to become a vampire seems easier, as only Charlie is well written enough to really compare with the Cullens, but the Forks High kids and Renee made way more of an impression in the movie - I especially liked Eric and Jessica. The scene where Bella catches sight of her friends laughing happily as they leave the diner, while she is on the run from James demonstrates the cost of her relationship with Edward better than just about anything in the novel does for me. I really think we have Catherine to thank for how well the Forks High scenes work - she has such a great sense of what real teenagers are like.

I liked Kristen's perfomance a lot - it was very measured and intelligent and I liked that her Bella was a bit brittle. I would have hated to see an overly swoony Bella. I hate when an actress is clearly just waiting for her turn to speak, but Kristen really listens and her reactions are always spot on.

Rob was perfect - he is absolutely the Edward I had in my head reading the books. I was a bit nervous that I would be picking holes in his accent but he held it well, and I loved the touch of Chicago he had in his voice. And of course, he looked stonkingly gorgeous. Those eyelashes are just shameful - he's like a vampire Bambi :chair:

I really appreciated that they played their parts without any irony, which would have been a very easy way out - they really put everything into their performances.

Taylor was lovely as Jacob - such a puppy. He looked so handsome when he arrived at prom that Betty was whispering "16" over and over to shake us out of thinking naught thoughts :chair: Shame they cut the line about the girl he was interested in being taken, as I liked his delivery of that on the B-rolls.

The Cullens seemed sketchy compared to the humans, but considering the way movies work, that all seven Cullens made it into the movie at all is quite something. Nikki really made an impression as Rosalie, and Ashley was perfect as Alice - I need that Diane Von Fursternberg dress she wears in the kitchen scene. Emmett was fab in the baseball scene, and although Jackson was lumbered with hardly any lines and a permanently intense expression, he was still Jasper. Esme was hardly present, but she is the sketchiest character in the books anyway. The interaction between Peter and Rob was good, and my husband (who hasn't read the books) liked Carlise's character the best, so he obviously did enough to stand out.

My favourite moments were - the baseball scene, the lion and the lamb line, the kiss, and all thse little shots of Edward and Bella just talking, like in the meadow, in the spruce tree and sitting on her bed. The montage in the ballet school scene to Let Me Sign was really powerful - the shot of Edward and Bella lying in the snow was so perfect I wanted to rewind and pause. If I had to choose one scene though, it would be prom. The little smile that rob does after he kisses her neck is just so Edward that I think I sighed out loud.

I can't wait to go and see it again.

You could have taken those comments straight from my head. The movie isn't perfect and like you say, some of the special effects were a bit dodgy (circa. 1973 I suspect) but that hasn't stopped me from seeing it 4 times in the cinema. I went again last night and was just as excited about going as the first time at the press screening 5 weeks ago.

I love this comment...how true!

Those eyelashes are just shameful - he's like a vampire Bambi
Hahaha!

Billy was superb as Charlie. He looks exactly like the Charlie in my head - complete with a little chubby tummy :lol:

The scene with Bella & the gun was hilarious. I loved it when he drew halo over his head ;)

Seeing him standing at the door when Bella was leaving was just heartbreaking.

Edited by Betty

Wondeful recap Timpe. I totally agree with the comment about the diner scene, where you see her friends having fun. I get really annoyed with the books as it's so frustrating how Bella is so dependant on Edward at the expense of living a normal teenage life. That ONE scene made me realise that that's just who Bella is. She was never meant to be a "normal teen", and I need to appreciate that!

saw the movie in Canada a couple of weeks ago because Twilight is HUGE over there and everyone back here is reading the books and making a huge deal of it and as some one who hasn't read the books (yet) I thought it was a cool movie definately interesting but slow to get going (apparenty "building up the relationship" with Bella as Edward) and quick to end! the school scenes with Bella and Edward very very choppy and cut badly together it seemed they wanted to make it flash but the scenes were too short, but they were obviously trying to give the impression time was passing etc

all in all would see it again if people were going and read the books poss from the lib, not a bad film but couldn't help giggling at Robert playing Edward and being oh so serious, he's grown up from his Cedri days!!!

surfy sah xx

I saw her do her little cameo!

Did anyone else notice in the final hospital scene that the TV screen was showing...the fight scene in the ballet studio??? See, now I only saw that because I watched the movie again today! So, that's twice on Friday, once yesterday and once today, plus the press screening, that's five. I think I'm done....for now!

I thought it was ok, but not that great.

Am i the only one who thinks the music didnt fit the scenes? Me and my friend were silently strumming our air banjos in the cinema to the music XD Some of the music really just didnt fit, but i did like the Muse during the baseball part <3

Im still not liking Rob as Edward, and alot of the other charaters are different from how i imagined them, but then again they obviously cant get it right for everyone XD Jackson and Ashley were perfect as Jasper and Alice though :blink:

Strange thing happened when we was in the cinema though...we were discussing how Christian Cooke would have been a prettier Edward, and then a few moments later, they showed an advert for Christians new show in the cinema XD It made me VERY happy lol Id had my extreme dose of prettyness even before the film had started lol

I took my friend to see it on Saturday, and she had never read Twilight, and then on sunday, we ended up going all over the place looking for the books, as she was hooked lol Now she is half way through the 3rd book lol

Im gonna watch it again soon, for the 4th time lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well 5 viewings in and it's not old yet :D

I love Rob's smouldering black eyes, I wish he had been 'hungry' more often. Ashley was perfect as Alice, I adore Jasper - especially his "I think we can handle that" to Victoria.

The baseball scene was perfect, amazing song by Muse!

Carlisle was incredibly attractive!!!

Rob's song playing when Edward sucks the venom from Bella is simply tear inducing!

Still have minor reservations about Kristen's Bella but I'm sure they will fade with the passing of time.

It will be interesting to see how New Moon works chemistry wise, considering the long absence of someone important!

i've only seen it the once and i prob wont bother going to see it again. it was ok as movies go but compared to the book , the book is 10 times better!

Rob is not Edward (but then i always knew he wasnt going to be) and i didnt like Kirsten as Bella either.

the supporting cast was good though, i loved alice and jasper.

and the baseball scene was definately the best scene.

well thats my opinion anyways i'm sure lots of people disagree with me lol