Aint it funny how we seem to be from a different planet?

dijon1322

i find it really funny when someone says "hey what you so happy about?" then i tell em where im going this weekend and they are like ... eerrhh whats that then ? its like your covered in gooo and all of a sudden your a weirdo ....its the funniest thing .. then when youve put the chalk and blackboard away after spelling it out to them they still non the wiser!!!

told me mate who i aint seen for about 18month and he were like "when did this happen?" like id been run over or summat or just got into drugs or sumat!!!!

well if its weird im proud to say im weird and i love it

• Moderators

I gave up caring a long time ago what my friends thought really - well, the ones that don't go to these things obviously!

Some understand it and are occasionally envious, and others wouldn't ever go, so I just don't talk to them about it lol

But hey, we all have different interests, and I don't understand some of the stuff they do but as long as we all enjoy things that's the important thing ;)

I get the same feeling, when i tell people about where i am going and try to explain its NOT a Star Trek convention they just dont get it!

Theres a guy at my work who buys ducks for his pond for gods sake!

Each to their own I suppose!

Much prefer my very exciting hobbie even when there isnt a show on i still enjoy looking for autographs (only from reputable dealers of course)

:YAHOO:

Edited by paddington

One of my friends makes a lot of snide comments about the film and TV events but when I've mentioned things like Sportsmania and Autographica (from the Astronaut point of view, i.e. the things he's interested in) it suddenly becomes alright!

i feel quite protective about my hobby its my little thing so i tend to just get on with it some =times its hard to get a camera ma to come with me but hey oh!!!

Basiclly I don't give a monkeys what people think of my hobbies (i'm a wolves fan so that gives the clue away) I do it because I enjoy it, yes I get comments about me being to old (32) but I don't care.

They have said in the past they wouldn't pay for someones 'writing' but they have never mocked me for it as they know I enjoy galavanting around the country meeting guests and surroundings of the actual event.

Some of them have come with me in the past to see what the score is and they have all enjoyed it.

Each and everyone one of them have enjoyed looking through my Facebook site and I always get 'I cant beleive you met....'

I don't think i have any friends that don't go to cons themselves anyway,or at least have the same interests as me ...in fact,come to think of it..i don't think i have any friends :chair:

arghh ill be your friend!!

Wooohoooo :P my first friend! Cheers dude :P

It's always amazed me the looks you get off people when you say you go to conventions. I always seems to get the question of "what do people do at these 'conventions' then?" as if we're a gathering of nutters but I've gotten to the point where I just ignore it now, say "each to his own", and look forward to the times where I get to hang out with you guys who understand why conventions are so much fun!

I don't think i have any friends that don't go to cons themselves anyway,or at least have the same interests as me ...in fact,come to think of it..i don't think i have any friends unsure.gif

Aww, I'll be your friend too! Now you have two friends! :chair:

Well the only real friends I have (apart from like 3/4 people I rearly see) don't think I'm sad or weird as they go to these types of events themselves...

I suppose it helps when you belong to a Star Trek group like I do, but as I have said many times before, my mum says she would rather know I was spending/wasting my money on autos the on drugs alcohol or going round mugging old ladies etc

There are far worse things we could be doing with our lives..

But I believe it takes a true geek, weirdo to understand us geeks, weirdos.

Hey am I the only person on here who doesn't really thhink of themselves as weird?

:chair:

LLAP :P

Basiclly I don't give a monkeys what people think of my hobbies (i'm a wolves fan so that gives the clue away) I do it because I enjoy it, yes I get comments about me being to old (32) but I don't care.

They have said in the past they wouldn't pay for someones 'writing' but they have never mocked me for it as they know I enjoy galavanting around the country meeting guests and surroundings of the actual event.

Some of them have come with me in the past to see what the score is and they have all enjoyed it.

Each and everyone one of them have enjoyed looking through my Facebook site and I always get 'I cant beleive you met....'

I think there's 3 distinct age groups that I see at these events. One is 15-21, one 21-30, and then 30 and above. I don't think any of those groups are particularly outnumbered - I'm the same age group as you, and I've never felt hugely out of place (although to be fair I don't do the cosplay thing!)

I think there's 3 distinct age groups that I see at these events. One is 15-21, one 21-30, and then 30 and above. I don't think any of those groups are particularly outnumbered - I'm the same age group as you, and I've never felt hugely out of place (although to be fair I don't do the cosplay thing!)

Same here I also don't go in for the whole cosplay, meet up and giddyness of the whole event. I turn up do what I want and then leave!! - I've started to take my 2 boys to events (one's 5 one's 2) and they love to run around and look at the cosplayers and my 5 year old even gets a little excited when he sees someone off of the tele! (at the last Gmex he pointed out the krillitane man from doctor who! - Anthony head)

I'm glad I've got lots of friends who I can share this with, because there are lots of others who think I'm nuts for going to these events. I met my brother's new girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and even though she loves lots of the same shows and films I do, when I told her about the events and cons she had a look of absolute horror on her face and told me she wouldnt be caught dead going to something like this. I hate getting those kind of reactions.

LOL neither do I its just not my thing. I admire the people that do and some of the outfits look fantastic! Although I have always wanted to be a Stormtropper Hmmmm

my best friend laughs at me when i tell her im going to yet another one and she always asks "how much more dust collectors (collectable figures) are you going to end up fetching home???" :chair:

i took her to glasgow last year and the words NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN spring to mind!!!

My friend thinks me going to these things is "cool", but I think he's just humouring me because he's my friend, because I can't convince him to come!

People at work call me a geek for going, but to hell with them.

I get none of this negativity from anyone I've ever told about my con-going. :chair:

It's probably got a lot to do with the way I carry myself and how you balance it out with the rest of your life ie. you wouldnt know I was a geek unless I told you or saw my geek stuff. Plus I know who to tell and not to tell and have never been wrong.

LOL neither do I its just not my thing. I admire the people that do and some of the outfits look fantastic! Although I have always wanted to be a Stormtropper Hmmmm

No question - and it really adds to the atmosphere of the place as well. Maybe this year I'll go as undercover Jack Bauer - i.e. Jeans and Jumper :)

But without a doubt in terms of signing events I tend to keep it to myself. To be honest, very few of my friends would consider this a 'cool' activity, so I just don't bring it up :)

Edited by MikeDonovan