What happened to the Jack Coleman "guest announcement"?

Not been here long, but from reading people's posts it seems it doesn't matter who turns up as guests in order to make it a great event. Obviously people have faves though. I think i'd rather have a big announcement closer to the event, as then it will come as a bonus.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I don't really mind who all comes (although I would like one of my favorites of course), but from a marketing standpoint it seems like it'd be better to announce at least one big name several months out from the event.

Which is not to say that I am discontent; I was one of those people who bought their tickets right after E2 because all the guests last time were great. =)

I guess you can be damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'm sure most people going to E2 went to E1, so the best thing is to make E2 as big a success as possible to keep people coming. If a big name is available i'm sure they'll be snapped up as and when they can be.

but from a marketing standpoint it seems like it'd be better to announce at least one big name several months out from the event.

From a marketing standpoint yes, but we all know what's happened with the big names... when they are announced 5 months before the event... Hayden Pannetiere, Zachary Quinto, Greg Grunberg, Henry Ian Cusick... i will stop my list here... :chair:

If they are really coming, it's great to know that they are coming to the event (but to know it now or in 4 months, what is the difference ? Is it really important for us ?). Therefore I think most of the tickets have already been sold :P , isn't it ?

But if it's only a marketing announcement to sell more tickets, how can you say that it's better ?

Most of us are coming to the event for the event and for the show. With all the last cancellations, I hope nobody is coming for 1 special guest anymore. These marketing announcements are useful only to convince the con virgins :WAVE:

So I think the Jack's NO-announcement is a good way of working :P

(Until 2 weeks before the event, we can't speak about guests list, but "potential" guests list...)

Edited by sebastianillyria

These marketing announcements are useful only to convince the con virgins :D

^ Well, and to convince people who were on the fence or would never otherwise hear about it (I won't have known about E1 if ZQ hadn't been announced).

And I was just commenting on how from a marketing standpoint it would be better; I was mostly addressing the "it's crazy to announce guests so far out" statement. From our standpoint, it isn't necessarily; I wouldn't really mind if they were all announced in October/November except if there was something specific I wanted signed.

And yeah, I had done a quick calculation based on the percentages of tickets said to be sold lat E1 alone and it was over 450; probably it's more now. =)

These marketing announcements are useful only to convince the con virgins :blink:

^ Well, and to convince people who were on the fence or would never otherwise hear about it (I won't have known about E1 if ZQ hadn't been announced).

And I was just commenting on how from a marketing standpoint it would be better; I was mostly addressing the "it's crazy to announce guests so far out" statement. From our standpoint, it isn't necessarily; I wouldn't really mind if they were all announced in October/November except if there was something specific I wanted signed.

And yeah, I had done a quick calculation based on the percentages of tickets said to be sold lat E1 alone and it was over 450; probably it's more now. =)

Same for me, as the link I that I used to go to the E1 site was on a Sylar thread on a forum. And I'm glad I went even if he did cancel.

I'm not sure I care about the guests- I originally was gona go for Zach and Greg and was gutted they cancelled, but I had an amazing time with old and new friends. Deffo gona have a better time at E2!!

• 5 weeks later...

Although I am checking everyday for new guest annoucements, i am actually glad we have only had 2. Last time I got soooooooo happy about the bigger stars coming, and then i was quite pi**ed off when they got replaced, with less big guests.

In truth if the replacement guests had been annouced first then i would have been happy with them. Its almost like i was behaving like a spoilt child.

I'm trying hard this time to take all guest annoucement with a pinch of salt till much closer to the time.

Looking forward to eclipse 2.

im going to spend time with me sarmy pals, cause i always have an awsome time with them, guests are a bonus cute guests are and added bonus...zachary quinto is like the best present ever and may dwarf all other people in comparison....

( and mr anders is now in the sarmy so you know he can just come and sit on the floor with us)

im going to spend time with me sarmy pals, cause i always have an awsome time with them, guests are a bonus cute guests are and added bonus...zachary quinto is like the best present ever and may dwarf all other people in comparison....

( and mr anders is now in the sarmy so you know he can just come and sit on the floor with us)

Well he is quite tall. :YAHOO: ...and even the other SArmy members :dance: I'm insulted...wait...no, that's reasonable, it is Quinto. :YAHOO:

Any guest announcment will be good for me!

Last year I was excited about meeting Hayden but she unfortunately had to cancel and was replaced by Cristine Rose. I was miffed at first but quite wrongly so as Cristine ended up being my favourite guest at Eclipse 1! :D

So as long as we have guests it's fine!

Though it'd be great to have Kristen! :P

Yes, Kristen would be amazing too!! Im just hoping for a decent amount of 'new' guests. Ones that havnt done a Showmasters/Massive Events show before.... James Kyson Lee is great and hes a really friendly guy but theres spaces on my Heroes poster that need filling!!! :D:D:P

To be honest I've gone off Heroes a bit and I'm kinda regretting getting a gold pass now. If we'd had some (or any) big guests announced I might not be feeling this way but right now I'm a bit...meh...about the whole event.

I think once Season 3 starts, everyone will be far more into it than they have been over the last few months. Same with any show really.

I dont know about that, I'm not feeling that way about any of the other shows I watch. Maybe it was because Season 2 was such a disappointment after such a great Season 1.

• Moderators

Oh I'm sure that's a part of it, as it is with a lot of people. I just remember what I've been like in the past - like when Lost is on mid-season I'm in Lost mode, but back when 24 was on I loved that too but cuz that hasn't been on for AGES I've sorta forgotten about it. Then Heroes is on during the normal season, and I love that .. so I switch moods from time to time. It happens.

I think I'm looking forward to Heroes because I'm pretty sure Season 3 is gonna be good. It can't get worse, and I really do believe they know the faults they made last time, and have listened to the fans. Having watched S1/S2 back to back recently, while there is a noticeable drop in quality in S2 I've still got a love for the show there.

I'll always have that fondness of the first season and the excitement of the fandom that goes with the show, so I'm definitely anticipating Eclipse 2. Ashley's a fantastic guest for me, and James in a convention environment will be something different to his Collectormania appearance. I look forward to whoever else they get too, but to be honest personally I'm not overly fussy.

Being some 8 months on from E1, I think there's a lot more attendees that know each other, and the general atmosphere will be even better this time round.

Haha that whole thing totally sounds like a sales pitch :YAHOO: It's not, honest :D

I still don't think S2 was worse, LOL. I've always felt like people view S1 with rose tinted glasses - the first 11 eps of S1 were quite slow, it only got exciting in the second half of the season. Except for Homecoming, and when you compare Homecoming (ep 11) to ep 11 of season 2 - season 2 wins!

To be honest I've gone off Heroes a bit and I'm kinda regretting getting a gold pass now. If we'd had some (or any) big guests announced I might not be feeling this way but right now I'm a bit...meh...about the whole event.

I bought silver and am feeling the same. Hopefully things will change closer to the event.

• Moderators

I suppose some people could view S1 like that, which is partly why I decided to watch all the episodes straight through .. just to kinda see how they stood up over time etc. And I've still not changed my mind.

In fact I'd say I'm even more sure that S2 was worse. I'm not quite sure how to explain why S1 was better .. maybe it was the characterisation, maybe it was the initial intrigue, maybe the overall story arc was just better .. I don't know! But even re-watching it, it just held my interest far more. The show balanced everything far better.

It's odd because I remember being really disappointed with the S1 finale, thinking they were going to have some big huge fight and they didn't .. just like with Homecoming .. but having re-watched it, it actually works really well on an emotional level.

Slow wasn't a bad thing for me in S1 because it was what they had to do - start off building the characters etc. S2 should've been all systems go from the start, but it wasn't. The Peter stuff was dire, the Japan setting was used a little too long, and Maya was never once interesting.

The second season was always going to be difficult after the phenomenal success of the first, and it was made even more difficult considering the circumstances. So comparisons are always going to be uneven really. Don't get me wrong, some of it was still fantastic, but I'm thinking (hoping?) S3 is going to be that adrenaline filled chaos that I really want from the show now.