What did you think or C13 in the end?

Lizzy

What did you think or C13 in the end?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think or C13 in the end?

• Excellent!
    • Good
    • Ok
    • Not Great...
    • Awful
    • Seriously Disappointed
    • Didn't Go

guitar playing would still have more affect than writing

'You must have missed it on another thread that due to him having had a wrist/hand injury in the past, James never personalises '. scruffy

Hi. Yeah just read that. So he can play the guitar regulary, take part in fight scenes but writing and extra 5-10 letters on photo increases his wrist pain? Im actually a physiotherapist (and play guitar a bit) and I have to say that in my medical opinion ;-) it sounds like someone is telling porkies.

I have to disagree, he has SO many people going to see him for autographs in conventions, that he would get severe hand cramp even if he didn't have an injury in the first place.

I doubt 2 hours of guitar playing is more of a problem than 20 hours of writing.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god, I can't believe i have to explain myself but here goes. Guitar playing is more tiring for the muscles of the hand and wrist than writing (ask any guitarist about finger/wrist cramps) so you wouldn't have to do it for anywhere near 3 days straight to have the same or greater affect as signing for 3 days.

Im not getting into a 'comic book guy from the simpsons' style argument that forum users seem to love so im ending here.

'You must have missed it on another thread that due to him having had a wrist/hand injury in the past, James never personalises '. scruffy

Hi. Yeah just read that. So he can play the guitar regulary, take part in fight scenes but writing and extra 5-10 letters on photo increases his wrist pain? Im actually a physiotherapist (and play guitar a bit) and I have to say that in my medical opinion ;-) it sounds like someone is telling porkies.

I have to disagree, he has SO many people going to see him for autographs in conventions, that he would get severe hand cramp even if he didn't have an injury in the first place.

True, but I don't think he plays the guiter 6-7 hours a day three days straight (as psychosis said), so your comparison makes no real sense!!

Yeah sure, I don't think that type of argument is possible when you seem to insist that you are right and the rest of us are wrong...carry on as you were, enjoy being right all the time and obviously not getting the point that is trying to be made here!

it would of been better if john barrowman had been down to sign more days that people knew about and if you where told what time you would be able to get a signing when you join the virtual que i was really looking forward to seeing him :YAHOO:

Maybe so, but as others have said already he was signing for hours on end, so comparing it to guitar playing is a bit dumb imo.

You are not stating a fact that I am arrogant, you are throwing an insult. That is against board rules. I'd suggest you stop digging yourself a deeper hole.

As it is, I'm a musician and at university. Given that I know A ) how it is to play several string instruments for full concerts (and mine were probably longer than James') and B ) how it is to write for hours on end, I hardly think it's "arrogant" of me to have a polite (polite - try it) disagreement with someone.

Edited by Psychosis

I reckon that James has the right to say whether he does or doesnt personalise and from what I can read elsewhere , most people knew that in advance and used the time for a quick hello instead

:D

Fair enough you are a musician. Well done to you. I myself have never been gifted in that area.

It was not my intention to throw an insult at you but if that is how you percieve it thats up to you!

As I said, your posts came across that way. The other party at least put forward the fact that they are a physio and their knowledge of the subject. You, on the other hand haven't really justified anything other than to say you have tried your hand at guitar and violin.

I, on the other hand, have worked for the past 20 years in a primary school working with a variety of children and have also been on many courses to enable me to teach handwriting. If someone has trouble writing for a number of hours without pain/discomfort, then its possible that their handwriting technique is at fault! Any handwriting teacher will tell you, with the correct technique you should be able to write for hours without an issue!

For "a number of hours"? He's writing all day for three days straight. You admit yourself you have no experience with instruments. In my long, long experience with them, I found that while playing for an hour was a little harder than writing, it certainly wasn't equivalent to 15-20 hours of it.

By the way - it's not a perception. It's a fact. Calling someone arrogant for no justifiable reason is an insult :D You can't pretend it was anything but.

Edited by Psychosis

Oh my god....a professional physiotherapist explains it all to you and you still think you are right!

Can you be any more arrogant! Jeez!

even with whats been said i still agree with her so back off yeah. signing for 3 days non stop is tiring. I remember from school when I used to hand write essays....it hurts

Hes not writing 3 days straight...that would imply he doesn't stop for 72 hours!

Guests arrive at what 10am? Write for 3.5 hours, not non-stop but with admittedly very short breaks. They then stop for an hour (in some cases more) Then maybe a photoshoot before starting to write again for maybe another 4 hours or so...over a 3 day period thats 21 hours in total.

The real problem is this. I am quite willing to believe one or more of the following:

1) James has a serious wrist injury which means he must limit his writing

2) He just wants to get more people through which equals more money

3) Our friend the physio is in error, not knowing the case history

4) He just doesn't want too

5) He has a crappy handwriting technique

You previous posts came across as you not being open to any other possibility other than your own ideas!

But I don't think he does get more people through. He spends longer talking to people than he would do writing a name.

Why are you so hell bent on starting an argument? I disagree with someone, they disagree with me. That's fine. You telling me off for disagreeing - that's not fine.

No matter how much experience any individual may have either as a Musician, Physiotherapist or Convention Signer; if an individual - in this case James Marsters - has a wrist/hand injury, then only that person will know their limits.

To the person who is a physiotherapist I ask you whether or not your patients are all the same, or do some have differing levels of pain and discomfort? As I previously mentioned, I fractured both of my wrists many years ago, but still get problems with them. Some days are good, and some are bad.

To the poster Psychosis, I must agree with you to a certain degree, but also mention that some people have a higher tolerance to continued use of a musical instrument. As someone who sang in a choir for many years, I found that continued practicing in the run up to a big concert or period of many church services - like Christmas - used to knacker my vocals by the end. But, when I used to have the odd concert the vocals were fine afterwards.

Also, as someone who used to work in an office when paperwork was done by hand rather than a PC, I can attest to the discomfort my right wrist - my writing hand - would often feel at the end of a busy day.

What I am trying to say is this, no matter how much someone may think that they know about physiotherapy, the use of musical instruments or how long someone can write, everyone is different. So, putting all the differing opininons to one side, one thing is for sure, JM has chosen to only sign his autograph and nothing is going to change that unless James decides to let it.

But I don't think he does get more people through. He spends longer talking to people than he would do writing a name.

I agree, James talks to the fans more in the auto lines than any one else I've seen. And by the way, his wrist does bother him when he's playing guitar. Go to one of his gigs, and you will notice how often he shakes out his hand between songs.

Ok fine, no problem!

I'm not actually hell bent on starting an argument and if I have offended you I'm sorry! We'll leave it at that!

I just get a bee in my bonnett when someones professionalism is called in to question...if a doctor/nurse/physio told me something I'd go along with it thats all, especially if I have no knowledge of the anatomy of the hand...

Again, it wasn't my intention to kick up a stink so I will gracefully bow out!

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned about James's fight scenes...you do realise that they are staged and done so as not to hurt the actor and/or stunt double? This comment is not posted in a sarcastic tone, or argumentative, but a genuine question.

No matter how much experience any individual may have either as a Musician, Physiotherapist or Convention Signer; if an individual - in this case James Marsters - has a wrist/hand injury, then only that person will know their limits.

To the person who is a physiotherapist I ask you whether or not your patients are all the same, or do some have differing levels of pain and discomfort? As I previously mentioned, I fractured both of my wrists many years ago, but still get problems with them. Some days are good, and some are bad.

To the poster Psychosis, I must agree with you to a certain degree, but also mention that some people have a higher tolerance to continued use of a musical instrument. As someone who sang in a choir for many years, I found that continued practicing in the run up to a big concert or period of many church services - like Christmas - used to knacker my vocals by the end. But, when I used to have the odd concert the vocals were fine afterwards.

Also, as someone who used to work in an office when paperwork was done by hand rather than a PC, I can attest to the discomfort my right wrist - my writing hand - would often feel at the end of a busy day.

What I am trying to say is this, no matter how much someone may think that they know about physiotherapy, the use of musical instruments or how long someone can write, everyone is different. So, putting all the differing opininons to one side, one thing is for sure, JM has chosen to only sign his autograph and nothing is going to change that unless James decides to let it.

I completely understand what you're saying. I wouldn't argue this if it wasn't something James had already stated. I'm saying these things to attest that I completely understand his reasoning, not to state that everyone else in the world should be the same.

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned about James's fight scenes...you do realise that they are staged and done so as not to hurt the actor and/or stunt double? This comment is not posted in a sarcastic tone, or argumentative, but a genuine question.

I was talking to James about his fight scenes in Dragonball and he said "It's the hardest thing I've ever done. I didn't have a stunt double, they just beat me up every day" :D

I voted excellent!

I had the best day ever!

Favorite Points:

Meeting Eve! She was so unbelievably kind! I didnt expect her to be so wonderful! I personally dont like her charater in Torchwood, but i now love her XD She asked me what time i had been there since, and when i said 5am, the look on her face was priceless lol She shook my hand many times we were talking for some reason, as well as my arm...??? XD

Photoshoots! My lovely big hugs with John and James :D

Meeting new people in the ques! All the people next to me in the ques were fab! You were all so great to talk to! Thanks!

----

Worst Points:

John Barrowman! He seemed a bit huffy when i went to see him, and he had a go at me when he had already signed my autos, and i wanted him to personalise one of then, so he went back and did it, but said that i should have told him that when he first went to sign them, but i had my name ready on the back of my ticket slip, and the crew member took and it and didnt give it to him, so it wasnt my fault :D i was a little disapointed after i had spent over 5 hours waiting to meet him, as he was very rushed :YAHOO: Though i was very happy to have been able to meet him, and my photoshoot was a little better!

Queing! Though this was expected, and is mostly my fault lol I was outside at 5am *first in the queue* to meet John, and was queing until i was the first to meet him at 10:20ish then had to queue for photoshoots *John, James and Eve* and then que for photo collection, and i still have to go back for my Eve one tomorrow.

Photo: Malcolm took my picture of me and John as a landscape and not portrait, so he missed off the giant hug he was giving me :YAHOO: kinda redeemed himself with my James photo though XD And i totally understand that he was very rushed, and probably couldnt do anything about it :YAHOO:

----

All in all i had a fab weekend, and enjoyed every minute! *though the queing was a little less enjoyed than eveything else XD*

There was a girl who was in a hurry for Eves photoshoot, as she had to catch a train in just 25 minutes *i think that was it* and was a little upset as she thought she may miss it, and i know i would have been devistated if that was me, so instead of seeing her upset, i asked the 2 lovely and wonderful ladies at the front of the que if they could let her go, and they said yes, and i think it made her quite happy! I hope you caught your train ok!

Thanks showmasters and all the lovely crew for such a brill weekend!

Edited by Emmeh

Ok fine, no problem!

I'm not actually hell bent on starting an argument and if I have offended you I'm sorry! We'll leave it at that!

I just get a bee in my bonnett when someones professionalism is called in to question...if a doctor/nurse/physio told me something I'd go along with it thats all, especially if I have no knowledge of the anatomy of the hand...

Again, it wasn't my intention to kick up a stink so I will gracefully bow out!

Hey dude...just a quick and friendly comment re: professionalism comment above..my sister-in-law is, and has been for a long time, a hospital based nurse. At one time in Lewisham (sp?) hospital she would often be in charge of A&E Triage, and would often seen second opinions from colleagues to ensure that the patient would have the highest possible level of treatment. This wasn't a case of not knowing her job as she has been published numerous times in medical publications and was headhunted to a Perth (Australia) based medical facility on the strength of her experience and publications. She has laways admitted that she will be learning until the day she retires from the medical professional as everyone is different and everyone in the medical trade can and often does see things slightly differently.

Re: James - he has had a reputation of being very fan friendly for many years. Something that is very refreshing in the acting business.

Hi S1J0, I totally understand what you are saying. Your sister-in-law is a star working A&E from what I understand. My sister-in-law is also a nurse but in geriatrics...didnt have the temperament for A&E.

My point is this: Your sister-in-law is in the medical profession, therfore has prior knowledge etc, and would be able to question, with some authority, someone within the same profession.

But, someone like me, for example, in education, if I were to question someone who worked in the field of law or physics just wouldn't be correct unless I was doing it in such a way in that I would learn from the response...

Edited by johnhuk

I completely understand what you're saying. I wouldn't argue this if it wasn't something James had already stated. I'm saying these things to attest that I completely understand his reasoning, not to state that everyone else in the world should be the same.

I was talking to James about his fight scenes in Dragonball and he said "It's the hardest thing I've ever done. I didn't have a stunt double, they just beat me up every day" :D

I respect the fact that you are open to discussion and I hope that you do not think that I was attacking you at all. I was just trying to point out to some of the posters that everyone is different and react to things differently. I just wonder if he did personalise photos, and thus took more time, would some people point out that he doesn't get as many through as if he didn't speak or personalise photos. I feel JM is in a position of being very popular and ina no win position. By getting loads more people through by just signing, there would be people saying he is rude etc. If he spent time speaking to attendees and personalising photos there would be people saying he is slow. Ho hum..

As regards getting beaten up on the set of Dragonball, you will find that the whole process of faking fights very physically taxing. I am intrigued as to how the film turns out as I am a huge DB fan..