Where's the excitement gone?

rabbit

I used to get excited for every single announcement.

Now it’s a case of ‘oh them’, they were at ‘insert convention’ earlier this year.

In terms of guests this time, I don’t see the difference between this event and the others.

There just seems a lack of imagination.

Does anybody also still feel there is a LFCC cloud above these events?.

• Moderators

Personally I'm happy with all the Heroes guests, and I know quite a few other people are too.

Yes, a lot of guests have appeared at 'conventions' before, but you have to remember that many attendees don't actually go to 'conventions' and so haven't had the chance to meet Firefly/Stargate guests etc elsewhere. That's always been the case over the last few years with Buffy and Angel guests for example, but they still prove to be very popular.

And there are a few recent announcements that have appeared very recently at another event, but I know a lot of people don't even bother going there anymore. They were very quiet most of the time, as the target audience of that event is no longer sci-fi/guest based.

But really, as with any event, it'll be down to what someones personal preference is, as well as where else they attend etc. And of course, whoever's available to attend! Sometimes you can have the greatest imagination in the world, but it doesn't mean you'll be able to get all the people you want to attend an event.

As for the 'LFCC cloud', I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Personally I'm happy with all the Heroes guests, and I know quite a few other people are too.

Yes, a lot of guests have appeared at 'conventions' before, but you have to remember that many attendees don't actually go to 'conventions' and so haven't had the chance to meet Firefly/Stargate guests etc elsewhere. That's always been the case over the last few years with Buffy and Angel guests for example, but they still prove to be very popular.

And there are a few recent announcements that have appeared very recently at another event, but I know a lot of people don't even bother going there anymore. They were very quiet most of the time, as the target audience of that event is no longer sci-fi/guest based.

But really, as with any event, it'll be down to what someones personal preference is, as well as where else they attend etc. And of course, whoever's available to attend! Sometimes you can have the greatest imagination in the world, but it doesn't mean you'll be able to get all the people you want to attend an event.

As for the 'LFCC cloud', I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Hey Senora David :drool:

I guess it is a case of people seeing things in different ways to everyone else. Although I did not attened LFACC, the feedback that I have got is no different from any other signing event or convention where a small minority of people will always come away unhappy.

I guess it is that Showmasters have gotten to a plateau so high that getting even higher would mean having God as a guest...I am available :help:

I admit, I'm just not feeling it this time. There's only a couple of guests I want to see. I'm only going for Helen Slater realy and if she cancels, I will too because I just don't want to spend the fare money for anyone else really. And since Helen's cancelled two past events, I'm too on edge waiting for her to cancel this one to get excited.

Edited by Princess83

Now it’s a case of ‘oh them’, they were at ‘insert convention’ earlier this year.

In terms of guests this time, I don’t see the difference between this event and the others.

Hey Kung Fu Rabbit

Have you been on here just as a guest before as I see this is your virgin post?

As this is your first post, WELCOME.

As regards guests, being someone who has had the distinct pleasure of attending and helping organise events (the latter in my home town ands alot smaller than SM events), I know what you are trying to say. But the availability of guests is a game of Russian Roulette in that you can only get those who are available. Other organisers will do what SM do, and it seems that they follow paths set down by SM these days (my personal opinion and I am not attached to SM) by signing the same or similar guests as they are what are popular at the moment. Conventions and Signing Events are totally different beasts, but they are still businesses that need to make money in order to carry on.

As a matter of interest, what type of guests had you hoped to meet? Why don't you pop into the Guest Suggestion section and lay down some names as Showmasters are always asking us fans for suggestions.

Hope to see you post on here alot more

AJ

But the other event even though you have to pay to get in, is looking more appealing so not having to queue up, and mess around with virtual tickets.

It is down to personal preference, I’m fairly broad in my tastes – but there’s a lack of ‘spark’ this time, and this combined with the game of ‘convention snap’ we’re playing with guests; leaves me a little cold.

By the LFCC hang over I meant personally was that there was a definite loss of ‘good will’ at that event, and maybe that is reflecting my lack of excitement.

Thanks for your kind welcome AJ.

I think this show is whatI'd call a good solid line up without being spectacular. That said I think any event SM did after LFACC was always going to be a bit of an anti climax after the guest list at that partcilaur show.

From a personal point of view there have been a lot more events this year. If you think we've had two Collectormanias, SportsMania, MusicMania, LFACC, Autographica, thats without things like CE (can I mention that now its over?!) and all the other non SM events. Next year there is Lockdown, Eclipse, an autographica in March, plus CM and LFACC again. Maybe people are just starting to suffer a bit of event fatigue (and I only have to go to the shows, SM themselves must be needing a break as well!). I know I wasn't planning on coming to this show but SM went and spoiled that by announcing some people I wanted to see! Same thing with the 'other' event that we don't mention!

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about having the choice of going to events or not, after all I'm not oblidged to go but I think it might be a reason why things aren't quite as buzzing for this one.

But the other event even though you have to pay to get in, is looking more appealing so not having to queue up, and mess around with virtual tickets.

It is down to personal preference, I’m fairly broad in my tastes – but there’s a lack of ‘spark’ this time, and this combined with the game of ‘convention snap’ we’re playing with guests; leaves me a little cold.

By the LFCC hang over I meant personally was that there was a definite loss of ‘good will’ at that event, and maybe that is reflecting my lack of excitement.

Thanks for your kind welcome AJ.

That is the thing with events these days, it is all down to personal taste. And with so many events being staged by different organisers, you will always get repeat offenders so to speak.

I am a fan of the WWE/WWF Wrestling and remember when they put on 4 PPV events a year. But now they have 12 plus a year and thus the product appears watered down.

But, it is a case of preparing for worst and hoping for the best. Also, make a plan B for guests you will see if you don't get the ones you really want. I always make a list and go from the top down.

I think we’re all in agreement, its ‘alright’, but certainly nothing 'wow'.

AJ, I don’t think you can blame overkill, because the other rivals haven’t changed their position.

The only thing that changed was Showmasters started creating new events.

Collectormania was where it all started – why is it now arguably the weakest of the three?, could it be because its ‘free’?.

If C12 is the weakest of the three is again depending on your point of view. :help:

Stargate and Firefly fans would easily say that C12 is way stronger than LFACC - no Firefly guests at all, and Tori Higginson cancelled back then. C12 has Jewel Staite and if you count the regulars/guest stars no less than seven Stargate guests, including two actors who played main characters.

Besides that, I personally think that we need good, solid shows too. It would be cool, but not every event can have a "wow" effect for everyone. :drool:

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I don't understand why new posters suddenly appear, and instead of asking something like "What's the show like?" or "What should I do in x situation" it's always "this show is crap, the guests are rubbish"???

Anyway, as David B says, the 'other' event that these guests recently attended has changed it's target demographic now, and is essentially now an event for kids who are into Anime and Dance Mats. I'm more than happy for Marina Sirtis to be at C12 instead.

I had the opportunity to go to C12 but will give it a miss - there isn't anyone who jumps out at me who I can't get at an event closer to home or who has done / will do signings again.

I must admit though it is a varied line up which should have something for everyone and if I lived closer would definately attend.

Now sort G-Mex out - we're not all stargate fans you know!!! :drool:

lfacc definately had more of a wow factor to it with the calibre of some of the star guests but i think there is a more solid line up here, infact i want to get more stuff at CM12 than any event ive ever been to, thanks in part to that damn Heroes show... depends what you like for sure.

AJ, I don’t think you can blame overkill, because the other rivals haven’t changed their position.

The only thing that changed was Showmasters started creating new events.

Collectormania was where it all started – why is it now arguably the weakest of the three?, could it be because its ‘free’?.

It is not so much "overkill". but the perception of "overkill". As Queenie said, for the fans of Heroes, Firefly etc etc, they will think it is brilliant.

As I said before, why not pop into the Guest Suggestion section and drop some names.

As regards new events by SM, alot of them have been through cross promotion such as Autographica. I used to work for the company who helped stage these many years ago. Also, they have just staged CM in Manchester as a way of allowing more fans to get to events. With the 3 locations in mind, you have to take into account that some guests may indicate that they are available for all three so that they can meet the fans who can't get to MK or London or Manchester. Don't forget North of the Border as well.

It all comes down to tastes of the individual.

So KFB, who would you like to see??

Whoa there, buddy. I, and there are others here, didnt agree to anything of the sort.

George A. Romero is a legendary, and iconic film maker and classic lumenarie of the horror genre. He practically invented zombies. His inclusion in this event is a pretty big "wow" no real film fan can deny...except philistines or ignoranuses who've never heard the name.

Edited by nicky

If C12 is the weakest of the three is again depending on your point of view. :borg:

Stargate and Firefly fans would easily say that C12 is way stronger than LFACC - no Firefly guests at all, and Tori Higginson cancelled back then. C12 has Jewel Staite and if you count the regulars/guest stars no less than seven Stargate guests, including two actors who played main characters.

Besides that, I personally think that we need good, solid shows too. It would be cool, but not every event can have a "wow" effect for everyone. :hathor:

Add that, plus Carnivale, and Heroes, and I'm salivating!

There's one thing that made LFCC better for me, and that's Robert Englund - purely because he was my childhood hero! But take him out of the equation and overall there's more people for me at this one.

I don't understand why new posters suddenly appear, and instead of asking something like "What's the show like?" or "What should I do in x situation" it's always "this show is crap, the guests are rubbish"???

Anyway, as David B says, the 'other' event that these guests recently attended has changed it's target demographic now, and is essentially now an event for kids who are into Anime and Dance Mats. I'm more than happy for Marina Sirtis to be at C12 instead.

New posters arn't always new too the events. Not saying thats the case this time, but my friend has only done a handfull of posts on another events forums and she's been going to there events for longer then me, whereas I have made around 800 posts on said forum...

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy