Guest Cancellation Jacqueline McKenzie

showmasters

Lams, I think you were talkin bout my post and you've got the wrong end of the stick, sorry! When I said they were horribly treated, I didn't mean in that way... I meant in the sense of sort of promoting them, and making sure 4400 guests would turn up to the show fr reasons other than the guests, that kinda thing. I just thought (use marina as an example cos I don't watch 4400) Shes a trek guest, and the only thing trek in the show was her, and a talk with like 20 people watching. On the site, there was just a lil pic showing she was going. No trek stalls, nothing. At CM, I guess she'll be a lot more busy cos trek fans will know there'll be a lot more there to see and do. The 4400 guests were playing with balloons, yes, but wouldn't that be cos they were a bit bored?

There were anime guests there, and they had lots of talks, an anime cinema, loadsa stalls, drawing etc....

I meant they were treated badly in the sense its basically an anime show and the sci fi guests were out of place and slow compared to how they would be at CM. And to be threatened of being stuck in a country with no way getting home? ffs!

Personally, I thought the weekend was fantastic. We could spend a little time talking with the guests and take photos with them. From a selfish point of view, I would rather they be given a chance to have a conversation with fans, making their meeting special that they'll never forget, personalise autographs, play with balloons and have a laugh with the Eureka guests than be forced to write autographs flat out ala Heroes guests at LFACC last month.

No offence to Jason but there are two sides to this and I would rather hear the other side's point of view before making a judgement. A lot of you seem to be very biased and quick to judge.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence to Jason but there are two sides to this and I would rather hear the other side's point of view before making a judgement. A lot of you seem to be very biased and quick to judge.

In normal circumsatnces I would agree with the suggestion of biased comments as people on these boards can be very supportive of Showmasters. However, the simple and logical question is this..

Why would Jason come onto a public forum and say that a rival organiser has threatened a guest with cancellation of flights if they appeared at another event they were legally not barred from attending? He would be destroying his credibility with the potential guests and fans if he was lying.

Do you expect the other organiser to come out and deny it? Especially as the two guests concerned can quite easily say that either Jason or the rival organiser is telling lies/the truth.

No one is stupid enough to risk a business that is thriving over a lie.

As far as I am aware, no statement has been made denying the comments of Jason Joiner as regards what he says was told to him by the two guests concerned.

In this situation, as unique as it is, I think the support shown to Jason Joiner & Co is well placed.

Might I add that I have zero affliation to any organiser and go where I choose to. So, I am not a*se kissing Showmasters before anyone suggests it.

Edited by AJ Jones

In normal circumsatnces I would agree with the suggestion of biased comments as people on these boards can be very supportive of Showmasters. However, the simple and logical question is this..

Why would Jason come onto a public forum and say that a rival organiser has threatened a guest with cancellation of flights if they appeared at another event they were legally not barred from attending? He would be destroying his credibility with the potential guests and fans if he was lying.

Do you expect the other organiser to come out and deny it? Especially as the two guests concerned can quite easily say that either Jason or the rival organiser is telling lies/the truth.

No one is stupid enough to risk a business that is thriving over a lie.

As far as I am aware, no statement has been made denying the comments of Jason Joiner as regards what he says was told to him by the two guests concerned.

In this situation, as unique as it is, I think the support shown to Jason Joiner & Co is well placed.

Might I add that I have zero affliation to any organiser and go where I choose to. So, I am not a*se kissing Showmasters before anyone suggests it.

Nowhere did I say Jason was lying and nor do I think he is. I just don't think we're aware of the full story and as such shouldn't leap to conclusions. Did Jacqueline tell him herself or was it her agent or someone else? You sure this person didn't exaggerate the story that the promoter lost their temper (in the hotel foyer of all places) and there weren't other elements involved? What about hotel costs and whatnot? Showmasters were happy to pay for the flight costs but the option wasn't given to them - why? Don't you think that's strange? Is it possible that the cancelled guests wanted to maintain their relationship with the rival for future events?

Sure, this was all announced after the weekend's event but what kind of precedent would it set for the future? At the end of the day, these are rival businesses and if people know that one event taking place soon after another might 'poach' the big name guests from the first event then would that make people less inclined to go to the first?

• Showmasters Admin

I don't understand the problem. Surely if the 'other organizer' had cancelled their return flights, then Showmasters would have had to pay for new flights, which would have been fair, cause both organizers would then have paid half the air travel each. That's fair isn't it?

To book a one way flight to LA Upper Class with only 6 days before flying are as much as a full return trip. If we were to pay half of the return trip that the other event has paid for then they would save 50% of the cost on the flights and we would have got another guest for the show with out taking any public being taken away from the other event. and also it is hard to pay for a full fair as we did not have the advantage of having a long add run to help recoupe the ar costs i hope that helps

now Let‚s get down to it. We and the other event will probably never get along. I have put the hand of friendship out many a time to have it thrown back at me.

It‚s a simple thing we try to put on the best events we can and try to get along with most of the other promoters like 10th Planet, Starfury, Cult TV, Sector 14, shambles, another show, Tellynation, and more - all good people running good events, fans running events for fans, but some promoters just think they own the convention scene and that anyone trying to run an event is a threat to their domain and get really nasty about it.

Anyone should have the right to try to run a convention and every one as long as they are responsible with the fans‚ money should be given a chance to have a go. No one owns fandom, we are all fandom.

If you love something then get together with friends that care about the same subject and see what you can do. That's all we did. It‚s not about one person, it‚s about enjoying and sharing the experience of putting on an amazing event. Some of you know me, but i am only one person but it takes around 150 crew that help on the day and around 20 or so that put their free time in to make it all happen. Without all of them it would just not be possible.

We are a family: the Showmasters family. We all work very hard and have a lot of fun and are responsible for some amazing events.

We have a motto: no one is bigger than the show. And it‚s true.

Sorry for going on, I had a bit of time on my hands and just wanted to share my thoughts.

See you all at the weekend and we all hope you all have a great show

Jason :(

I don't understand the problem. Surely if the 'other organizer' had cancelled their return flights, then Showmasters would have had to pay for new flights, which would have been fair, cause both organizers would then have paid half the air travel each. That's fair isn't it?

To book a one way flight to LA Upper Class with only 6 days before flying are as much as a full return trip. If we were to pay half of the return trip that the other event has paid for then they would save 50% of the cost on the flights and we would have got another guest for the show with out taking any public being taken away from the other event. and also it is hard to pay for a full fair as we did not have the advantage of having a long add run to help recoupe the ar costs i hope that helps

now Let‚s get down to it. We and the other event will probably never get along. I have put the hand of friendship out many a time to have it thrown back at me.

It‚s a simple thing we try to put on the best events we can and try to get along with most of the other promoters like 10th Planet, Starfury, Cult TV, Sector 14, shambles, another show, Tellynation, and more - all good people running good events, fans running events for fans, but some promoters just think they own the convention scene and that anyone trying to run an event is a threat to their domain and get really nasty about it.

Anyone should have the right to try to run a convention and every one as long as they are responsible with the fans‚ money should be given a chance to have a go. No one owns fandom, we are all fandom.

If you love something then get together with friends that care about the same subject and see what you can do. That's all we did. It‚s not about one person, it‚s about enjoying and sharing the experience of putting on an amazing event. Some of you know me, but i am only one person but it takes around 150 crew that help on the day and around 20 or so that put their free time in to make it all happen. Without all of them it would just not be possible.

We are a family: the Showmasters family. We all work very hard and have a lot of fun and are responsible for some amazing events.

We have a motto: no one is bigger than the show. And it‚s true.

Sorry for going on, I had a bit of time on my hands and just wanted to share my thoughts.

See you all at the weekend and we all hope you all have a great show

Jason :(

If you don't get on then it's even more important to proceed diplomatically isn't it? If they found out only when you announced it on your boards is not only rude, but it doesn't make sense when you say you offered to contribute to the flight costs. At which point did you do this? Beforehand, which would have been prudent considering your relationship, or only when you were found out?

If you have a bad relationship and you let them find out about this on your forums, then you must have expected them to be not be very happy with you.

I'm going back to lurking, making posts and asking questions here just makes me more confused. :-(

• Showmasters Admin

Nowhere did I say Jason was lying and nor do I think he is. I just don't think we're aware of the full story and as such shouldn't leap to conclusions. Did Jacqueline tell him herself or was it her agent or someone else? You sure this person didn't exaggerate the story that the promoter lost their temper (in the hotel foyer of all places) and there weren't other elements involved? What about hotel costs and whatnot? Showmasters were happy to pay for the flight costs but the option wasn't given to them - why? Don't you think that's strange? Is it possible that the cancelled guests wanted to maintain their relationship with the rival for future events?

Sure, this was all announced after the weekend's event but what kind of precedent would it set for the future? At the end of the day, these are rival businesses and if people know that one event taking place soon after another might 'poach' the big name guests from the first event then would that make people less inclined to go to the first?

no one 'poach' any one the guest contacted us

i think we have said enough now it will not change the fact the guests from the 4400 will not be at this event

if you think there is another side to the story then maybe you should ask on the other events forum to see there side of things if thay will let you

good luck

and now we will be getting on with the show

see you all there

jason

Nowhere did I say Jason was lying and nor do I think he is.

And nowhere did I suggest or say you did.

I just don't think we're aware of the full story and as such shouldn't leap to conclusions.

We are not aware of the full story as the other organiser has not replied to what has been said. I personally am not jumping to conclusions, but rather rationally lloking at the facts presented. If you read my messages properly, and I am not saying you are not doing so, you will see I give both sides of the coin in an argument.

Did Jacqueline tell him herself or was it her agent or someone else? You sure this person didn't exaggerate the story that the promoter lost their temper (in the hotel foyer of all places) and there weren't other elements involved? What about hotel costs and what not?

Only Jason can say who actually told him, but it is stated in the cancellation post for both guests that Jason was informed. Exaggeration? Only the guests know and can be honest about this, but the question raises its head again of "what would they get out of lying or embelishing on the truth as it would harm their reputation with organisers if and when the truth was revealed?"

Hotel costs and whatnot were never mentioned. But having helped organise and stage events, when guests have asked plane tickets to be delayed so that they can stay a further few days or weeks, no guest has ever asked for extra hotel expenses to be included. So, this would surprise me if the other organiser had agreed to pay a further weeks hotel expenses so that the guest could have a holiday.

Showmasters were happy to pay for the flight costs but the option wasn't given to them - why? Don't you think that's strange?

If the other organiser was allegedly threatening cancellation of flights if they attended CM12, can you see them agreeing for Showmasters to pay towards flights? Let's be realistic in that they appear to have not wanted the two guests appear at CM12. Remember that the guests approached Showmasters about appearing at CM12, and not the other way around. Jason Joiner has already stated that they were never given the option of paying travelling costs. Do I think it is strange? No. Simply because of the relationship between the two companies.

Is it possible that the cancelled guests wanted to maintain their relationship with the rival for future events?

Anything is possible. But why tell Jason something and have it found out to be an exaggeration? It would damage any chances of that guest being invited to a Showmasters event in the future.

Once again, you are missing the point that the guests, whether by themselves or their agents, approached Showmasters. There was no poaching, and Jason has stated that these were late announcements due to when Showmasters were approached. They had attended the event this past weekend and wanted to meet more fans, hence they contacted Showmasters. So, once again I will state the glaring fact that no poaching has gone on, and thus the only reason people might now feel retiscent about attending the other event in the future is the apparent actions, and I reiterate the word apparent, actions of the other organiser.

EDIT>>> My above post was before I noticed Jason had replied.

Only Jason can say who actually told him, but it is stated in the cancellation post for both guests that Jason was informed. Exaggeration? Only the guests know and can be honest about this, but the question raises its head again of "what would they get out of lying or embelishing on the truth as it would harm their reputation with organisers if and when the truth was revealed?"

To save face and not alienate either organiser? If they had exaggerated, I highly doubt Showmasters would hold it against them and never work with them again.

If the other organiser was allegedly threatening cancellation of flights if they attended CM12, can you see them agreeing for Showmasters to pay towards flights? Let's be realistic in that they appear to have not wanted the two guests appear at CM12. Remember that the guests approached Showmasters about appearing at CM12, and not the other way around. Jason Joiner has already stated that they were never given the option of paying travelling costs. Do I think it is strange? No. Simply because of the relationship between the two companies.

This has been explained but I didn't mean for Showmasters to pay their rival for the tickets but for Showmasters to buy their own tickets.

Anything is possible. But why tell Jason something and have it found out to be an exaggeration? It would damage any chances of that guest being invited to a Showmasters event in the future.

As I said above, if it was to avoid alienating either organiser, I don't think people would hold it against them.

Once again, you are missing the point that the guests, whether by themselves or their agents, approached Showmasters. There was no poaching, and Jason has stated that these were late announcements due to when Showmasters were approached. They had attended the event this past weekend and wanted to meet more fans, hence they contacted Showmasters. So, once again I will state the glaring fact that no poaching has gone on, and thus the only reason people might now feel retiscent about attending the other event in the future is the apparent actions, and I reiterate the word apparent, actions of the other organiser.

Yes, I know they approached Showmasters and I used 'poach' for lack of a better word. For arguments sake, let's say the story is as simple as stated. It's up to the rival to do what they did and perhaps damage their chances of working with the people involved in future. Rival businesses don't all get along in the real world and I can understand if the rival here was aggrieved with the situation.

If they had exaggerated, I highly doubt Showmasters would hold it against them and never work with them again.

If an event organiser cannot rely on a potential guest to be honest with them, and there is no indication whatsoever from myself that said cancelled guests have been dishonest, then how can any serious business person deal with someone who is not honest. Once again, just to reiterate, I am not indicating or insinuating that either guest has been dishonest.

This has been explained but I didn't mean for Showmasters to pay their rival for the tickets but for Showmasters to buy their own tickets.

I refer you to Jason's post>>>

and also it is hard to pay for a full fair as we did not have the advantage of having a long add run to help recoupe the ar costs i hope that helps

As I said above, if it was to avoid alienating either organiser, I don't think people would hold it against them.

If an event organiser cannot rely on a potential guest to be honest with them, and there is no indication whatsoever from myself that with cancelled guest has been dishonest, then how can any serious business person deal with someone who is not honest. Once again, just to reiterate, I am not indicating or insinuating that either guest has been dishonest.

Yes, I know they approached Showmasters and I used 'poach' for lack of a better word.

There must better words to describe how the guests approached Jason than poach. The definition of poach according to www.dictionary.com is:

–verb (used without object)

1. to trespass, esp. on another's game preserve, in order to steal animals or to hunt.

2. to take game or fish illegally.

3. (of land) to become broken up or slushy by being trampled.

4. (in tennis, squash, handball, etc.) to play a ball hit into the territory of one's partner that is properly the partner's ball to play.

5. Informal. to cheat in a game or contest.

–verb (used with object) 6. to trespass on (private property), esp. in order to hunt or fish.

7. to steal (game or fish) from another's property.

8. to take without permission and use as one's own: to poach ideas; a staff poached from other companies.

9. to break or tear up by trampling.

10. to mix with water and reduce to a uniform consistency, as clay.

Rival businesses don't all get along in the real world and I can understand if the rival here was aggrieved with the situation.

A bit of a sweeping statement as Jason has already listed numerous other organisers he works well with. But I can understand where you plucked that statement with regards to Showmasters and the other organiser. But, at the end of the day, unless the other organiser inserted a clause in the contract of both guests stating that they couldn't attend any events a certain time either side of his event, then he has nothing to be agrieved about. If Jason has done nothing wrong, then why shouldn't he announce the guests who have agreed, neh asked, top attend CM12? It didn't harm the other event, and the only harm done has been by the other organiser to fans who had a fleeting chance of meeting them this coming weekend.

It is a sad and sorry state of affairs that this debate is one sided and the other organiser has thus far declined to post a statement. Because, if that statement insinuates the two guests both exaggerated or mislead Jason and this is born out to be an untruth, then said organiser risks legal action.

As I said to a previous poster, under normal circumstances of a cancellation, a simple message would be appropriate. However, this far from a normal circumstance and needed addressing.

But, the end fact is this...due to circumstances beyond Showmaster's control, the two guests are unable to attend, and that is a big shame.

Once again, you are missing the point that the guests, whether by themselves or their agents, approached Showmasters. There was no poaching, and Jason has stated that these were late announcements due to when Showmasters were approached. They had attended the event this past weekend and wanted to meet more fans, hence they contacted Showmasters.

I don't tell that somebody is lying, but I think it would be very interesting to hear Jacqueline (and richard) about that... The idea that they contacted Showmasters (but because someone helped them to do it) isn't impossible :( Many contradictions were said on this topic.

So you tell "Once again, you are missing ". I don't want to be artless and to believe all that is said. The fact that guests approached SM is announced but it's impossible to confirm that. When a topic begins with so strong attacks, perhaps is there some exagerations and it's difficult to believe that all is very neutral... So perhaps all is true but perhaps you are missing the point that guests did not do it.

I mean... we can't argue with something we heard but which is impossible to prove.

So everybody think what he wants, but to have a discution about something told by someone, and to try to argue with something else we heard by somebody else is just useless and non-productive...

Sad that a person from Deep Blue Sea won't be going...

Btw, from the recent threads about guys cancelling and conspiracy theorists going on about how guests should be 'made' to appear unless they're at deaths door, otherwise folks might think that announcements are purely fiction.... suggesting that this cancellation should be noted with 'For reasons beyond our control', seems a red rag to a bull. Can you imagine the theories and names the guys would have to endure if they left this cancellation at 'reasons beyond our control' ?

If only we could get Saffron Burrows, and get her to reenact her scene in, I think it was the kitchen, when she's trying to 'walk' round the room without letting Sharky from having his elevensies... And to quote Cupid Stunt (AKA Kenny Everett, for those who think HP is cutting edge), 'All her clothes fall off! LOL

I am having flashbacks to the first time Chris Judge was annouced for London Film and Comic Con 2!!!!!!!!

Showmasters just keep up the good work and forget about the other company. We all know you do the best events.

Please don't speak for others when making your posts, whether a high majority of the people on these forums think showmaster run the best events or not, and whether I am one of them or not, is not for you to say..

I myself don't have a fav signing event in this county so by saying 'we all know' is kinda not true.

Sorry just a pet hate of mine when people say 'we' when they really don't mean everyone.

:crying:

LLAP :borg:

I am having flashbacks to the first time Chris Judge was annouced for London Film and Comic Con 2!!!!!!!!

Showmasters just keep up the good work and forget about the other company. We all know you do the best events.

Please don't speak for others when making your posts, whether a high majority of the people on these forums think showmaster run the best events or not, and whether I am one of them or not, is not for you to say..

I myself don't have a fav signing event in this county so by saying 'we all know' is kinda not true.

Sorry just a pet hate of mine when people say 'we' when they really don't mean everyone.

I would not call other events in the UK signing events, I feel showmasters are the only company that run signing events, all the others have or are moving down routes. But just what I think. Each to there own.

OK, my last on this topic then it will be about time to get ready for C12 :borg:

Lizzy, thanks for clarifying your initial post. I thought it was very confusing because it gave the impression that the guests were badly treated at the event and that they were bored which was not the case. I agree with you that if they drew pictures on balloons and had the time to do other things was because they were not too busy but that doesn't mean at all that they did not have a good time. And Jacqueline was aware of it, she was there last year and it was similar. But who's to blame in this case ? The organizer or the fans that do now want to come and visit the guests because it's a rival event ? As I said many times before, I don't support Showmasters or this rival event, I support the guests. I would have been very happy if Jacqueline and Richard could have come to C12. For unfortunate reasons, it won't be the case. That makes me even more happy I went to the other event because meeting Jacqueline is always a blast, whatever the event she's invited to.

That said, I think in general this thread was very polite and the discussion was open with different valid arguments.

Now, roll on C12 :crying:

Once again, you are missing the point that the guests, whether by themselves or their agents, approached Showmasters. There was no poaching, and Jason has stated that these were late announcements due to when Showmasters were approached. They had attended the event this past weekend and wanted to meet more fans, hence they contacted Showmasters.

I don't tell that somebody is lying, but I think it would be very interesting to hear Jacqueline (and richard) about that... The idea that they contacted Showmasters (but because someone helped them to do it) isn't impossible :crying: Many contradictions were said on this topic.

So you tell "Once again, you are missing ". I don't want to be artless and to believe all that is said. The fact that guests approached SM is announced but it's impossible to confirm that. When a topic begins with so strong attacks, perhaps is there some exagerations and it's difficult to believe that all is very neutral... So perhaps all is true but perhaps you are missing the point that guests did not do it.

I mean... we can't argue with something we heard but which is impossible to prove.

So everybody think what he wants, but to have a discution about something told by someone, and to try to argue with something else we heard by somebody else is just useless and non-productive...

Firstly, the part of my post that you quoted was part of exchange of posts between myself and Floorplay. So, I have in no way accused you of anything as your post can read. Having previousily helped arrange and stage events in my home town, you would be suprised how many guests themselves, or through their agents, contact organisers to arrange appearances to promte something. Organisers do not do all of the approaching.

Also, the partial comment you quoted of "Once again, you are missing" is something directed at Floorplay and not you or anyone else. As regards exaggeration and neutrality, only Jason, the two guests and the other organsier can confirm or deny. If you read my posts in their entirity and where they are posted in tghe topic, you will see that I give a neutral view on the facts presented. If the other organiser is not putting his point forward, then we can only go on the facts as presented by Showmasters. I cannot see anyone being naive enough to think that Showmaster's side is the only side, but standing back and looking at the posts by Jason, I still ask these questions:

1. Why would Jason lie, or exaggerate something that can be later shot down by a guest denying it?

2. Why would Jason risk the good name that he and other Showmasters staff have built up over the years for two guests?

3. What has Jason to or Showmasters to gain from misleading people? If he announces a guest is coming, and then changes it to a rescheduled or cancelled appearance, no matter how long between the confirmation and cancellation has passed...he will always gets someone come out with the "false advertising" spiel that has popped up as of late, or something similar.

But, as I have said in my last post...these two guests are no longer able to attend due to circumstances beyond Jason's control. He has said that he will try and get them for future events.

I've just seen this thread and was at first confused about announcement and cancellation at the same time - then I read most of the posts.

I've now just looked at the other events website and notice that Marina Sirtis was a guest there, but is also going to be at C12. So why is it OK for Marina to attend both, but not the 4400 guests, I wonder?

Food for thought?

Edited by Enigma

I've just seen this thread and was at first confused about announcement and cancellation at the same time - then I read most of the posts.

I've now just looked at the other events website and notice that Marina Sirtis was a guest there, but is also going to be at C12. So why is it OK for Marina to attend both, but not the 4400 guests, I wonder?

Food for thought?

As someone posted elsewhere, could be due to her being an old hand at conventions, she has done them for a very very long time so probably knows how to best work things to her advantage...

I dunno. something along those lines anyway.