Latest photo session announcement - JOHN CANDY

showmasters

Here's a better joke:

A bear and a rabbit are taking a sh*t in the woods. The bear turns to the rabbit and says, "Excuse me, do you have a problem with sh*t sticking to your fur?" The rabbit says, "No". So the bear wipes his ass with the rabbit.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Only - John Candy would have been an excellent guest - wouldn't you just want to cuddle him (and I'm a big burly bloke!). Maybe it was a little bad taste but for god sake people get over it. It actually made me stop for a minute and think hold on didn't he die or did I completely dream that!!

It would have been great to see him, John Belushi etc on an eighties line up.

Petmania would be a good idea but wouldn't the autographs be easy to fake - Once you've seen one paw print you've seen them all - I was looking forward to meeting (people under 30 look away now) Gentle Ben or Champion the wonder horse

Realistically, if Showmasters did an announcement about someone like Sarah Michelle Gellar (i.e. someone ALIVE), it'd cause even more of a backlash than this because some people would actually believe it, and get their hopes up, and spread the word etc etc.

ok, maybe not SMG.. but something in similar vein thats believable at first. or someone imaginary or something.

hey im not jumping on the slag off showmasters bandwagon! im not that botehred by the john candy thing - just the general theme of april fools jokes... dont... :YAHOO: me

I've had issues with people before, but thankfully some of them such as Nicky (no offence meant!) have the balls to be themselves and have no problem talking to people in person, rather than being just someone who hides on an internet forum anonymously and talks complete sh!t.
Yes. I have big brass King Kong size balls and have tracked people down. I talk the talk and walk the walk unlike some assholes who try to talk hardcore from behind the anonymity and safety of a keyboard and sometimes enlist the help of their forum pals. There was this one guy who tried to give it loads just before C10 saying he'd be ready for a "chat" who then turned up to the event with his mum!!!!

Im just wondering WHY you did'nt come over and speak to me.????? Yes my mum was there as she wanted to meet Lance henriksson. I never saw you otherwise i would have spoken to you. Don't use this forum to try and big yourself up. If you see me at c11 make yourself known.

EDIT - If suggestions of physical violence continue you will both be banned. It stops here.

Edited by Too Tall

ahem, its "who takes whom"... lol... I don't think we need threats of violence on here, enough is enough people, get a sense of humor!

ooh, and flipper would be a good guest- well done on you for making that suggestion ;)

Edited by Lizzy

I don't generally come here and pick holes about the whole SM experience, hell I'm normally defending them... but this is just in bad taste. The petmania thing was funny, but this is just disrespectful. I hope that none of the guests were friends of John Candy and take offence at this crap.

I'm disappointed in SM, they're normally a lot better than this.

I think that friends of John Candy probably have a good sense of humour and won´t take offence.

Wars are going on, politicians lie, children starve. Those things offend me. A joke about a dead guy on an internet forum does not.

I think anyone sharing John's sense of humour, will probably take offence that this is the same 'gag' played by SM last year and not something origianl (or funny).

Making a 'joke' about someone who's dead is just plain disrespectful and cheap.

this is the same 'gag' played by SM last year and not something origianl.
I'm sure they won't do it again next year after all this.

* Re: C10. I didnt make it down in the end but had no visual reference anyway. I read all the posts about Lance H though.

You have to laugh really - it's like being back at school. "I'm going to beat you up at C11" etc. Even though the vast majority of people here have their heads screwed on, there's always a few retards.

For a case in point, Pickles The Wold Cup Wonder Dog, I can only assume that you are so completely and profoundly mentally retarded that you are utterly dependent upon others for all aspects of your existence. Your sole moments of enjoyment are clearly when your long-suffering mother wheels you in to the study, and you spasmodically mash your fingers against the keyboard whilst screaming incoherently, spittle flying from your mouth as you post some new vitriolic diatribe. Meanwhile your mother looks on in quiet despair, knowing the time will shortly come when your condition has deteriorated so drastically that even this sad, twisted outlet will be denied to you.

Anyway, SM, I hate to say it, but it was in questionable taste. Still that doesn't excuse the foolishness.

i preferred that weird person who had that weird website and spoke about meeting the celebrities in weird date format.

wow i explain things well, surely people remember that one...

Don't remind me - that was freaky!

I mucher rather meet Satan

He could sign photos of his appearance in Doctor Who in 'The Satan Pit' ;)

yeah, and the price per auto would be your soul.

The problem is if I wanted to have two items signed...maybe my dog´s soul will do...

• Moderators

i preferred that weird person who had that weird website and spoke about meeting the celebrities in weird date format.

wow i explain things well, surely people remember that one...

Don't remind me - that was freaky!

:blush: No, that was fairly amusing .. 'til he was a psycho stalker and accusing people of being anti-Jewish and then went on other event forums pretending to be Admin and then calling everyone racists ;)

Oh FFS, come on people...try to laugh once in a while (you never know, you might begin to enjoy it).

Mr Candy himself would've found it funny!

Ah but you have to realise Lee, this is an unprecedented move - a joke about a dead person.

That's why people are so offended. It's never been done before!

... no, wait, I lie. It has been done, in much more offensive and distasteful ways :WINCE:

so if your mum dies and I have a good laugh and joke this time next year I hope you understand and see the funny side of it......................

Then again, John Candy is more likely to turn up than Christopher Lee and Richard Dreyfuss were ever going to at LFCC.

rich5 - dont ever let ANYONE try to bully\put you off posting. YOU are the main reason i keep checkin out the board!! Laff my ass off at your comments and a few home truths to boot too at times. keep it reeeeeel my friend.

am just hoping the whole lineup for CM11 is an april fool!!!

I aim to please. :)

Was thinking of this whole John Candy thing today.......................

What if he actually does turn up...................... maybe it was a Princess Diana conspiracy theory and maybe he didnt die in the first place. Maybe he will turn up to this showmasters event along with Brandon Routh and we will all be really shocked.

Ok, ok, I know its a long shot and its not going to happen, but John Candy might still turn up................ :thumbup:

• Showmasters Admin

Hi all,

Well here we go again, a bit of controversy... OR NOT !

I was once lucky enough to meet the great John Candy in LA in the very early 90s, and it was a real pleasure (as well as an honour) to have a chat with him. He was a really genuine and funny man and I do feel that I could make this joke safe in the knowledge that it would have made John chuckle.

I think he would have seen the funny side and understood my warped British sense of humour. Being exposed to the likes of Monty Python from a young age (followed by liberal doses of The Young Ones, Little Britain, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc) has definitely coloured my view of the world and influenced my actions the other night... I am a product of my upbringing after all!

I feel that this kind of disgusted attitude is ridiculous and an over-reaction, as this sort of April fools joke is no worse than the likes of the Lou and Andy sketches on Little Britain or having dead actors being brought back from the dead by cgi for the sake of advertising (think of the Ford Puma ads staring Steve McQueen... who's to say that Steve wouldn't have hated the car and wanted nothing to do with it). But people feel this is aceptable, so it is strange to me that one or two of you are so hostile against us on what is no more than a gentle, tongue-in-cheek leg pulling. In fact some of you who have commented are known to us as nay-sayers and I think this topic is more about you smelling Showmasters blood and wanting your pound of flesh rather than some moral outrage or genuine upset, so I am not going to apologise for this April fools joke as it was just a bit of fun.

One last comment on this subject. If I allowed myself to be intimidated by this minority of sabre-rattlers, it may have stopped us persuing other guests for C11. You see, we wanted to get another Monty Python guest and were hoping to persuade Terry Jones to bring Graham Chapman with him! Graham's last public appearance was in 1998 with the rest of the Python crew at the Aspen Comedy and Arts festival, where he turned up in a fetching golden urn. Sadly Graham took a tumble on stage (thanks to Terry Gilliam) and lost some weight but with the help of his friends and a packet of cigarettes he is almost back to his starting weight.

pythons_aspen_1998.jpg

The members of Monty Python's Flying Circus (including Graham's 'ashes') reunite at the Comedy Festival in Aspen, Saturday, 7 March 1998

Last year Vincent Price was announced as a guest for c9 and when I turnt up at the event I was extremely dissapointed to discover that it was just an april fools gag.

So I do not see the funny side to this at all

;)

I feel that this kind of disgusted attitude is ridiculous and an over-reaction, as this sort of April fools joke is no worse than the likes of the Lou and Andy sketches on Little Britain or having dead actors being brought back from the dead by cgi for the sake of advertising (think of the Ford Puma ads staring Steve McQueen... who's to say that Steve wouldn't have hated the car and wanted nothing to do with it).

Actually that's true. If people on here feel that jokingly suggesting that deceased stars are attending the show is disrespectful, the thought of manipulating their images purely for profit must send them into conniptions. Lets hope they don't own any Elvis merchandise or similar as that would make them just as bad. Also what about all those people who own auto's from celebs who have then died, shouldn't they all honor the star by ripping the auto up, how dare they think of selling them on!

Death is a part of life, we celebrate life so perhaps we should also celebrate death. Remember those who have passed fondly and let others respect them in their own way.

Hi all,

Well here we go again, a bit of controversy... OR NOT !

I was once lucky enough to meet the great John Candy in LA in the very early 90s, and it was a real pleasure (as well as an honour) to have a chat with him. He was a really genuine and funny man and I do feel that I could make this joke safe in the knowledge that it would have made John chuckle.

I think he would have seen the funny side and understood my warped British sense of humour. Being exposed to the likes of Monty Python from a young age (followed by liberal doses of The Young Ones, Little Britain, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc) has definitely coloured my view of the world and influenced my actions the other night... I am a product of my upbringing after all!

I feel that this kind of disgusted attitude is ridiculous and an over-reaction, as this sort of April fools joke is no worse than the likes of the Lou and Andy sketches on Little Britain or having dead actors being brought back from the dead by cgi for the sake of advertising (think of the Ford Puma ads staring Steve McQueen... who's to say that Steve wouldn't have hated the car and wanted nothing to do with it). But people feel this is aceptable, so it is strange to me that one or two of you are so hostile against us on what is no more than a gentle, tongue-in-cheek leg pulling. In fact some of you who have commented are known to us as nay-sayers and I think this topic is more about you smelling Showmasters blood and wanting your pound of flesh rather than some moral outrage or genuine upset, so I am not going to apologise for this April fools joke as it was just a bit of fun.

One last comment on this subject. If I allowed myself to be intimidated by this minority of sabre-rattlers, it may have stopped us persuing other guests for C11. You see, we wanted to get another Monty Python guest and were hoping to persuade Terry Jones to bring Graham Chapman with him! Graham's last public appearance was in 1998 with the rest of the Python crew at the Aspen Comedy and Arts festival, where he turned up in a fetching golden urn. Sadly Graham took a tumble on stage (thanks to Terry Gilliam) and lost some weight but with the help of his friends and a packet of cigarettes he is almost back to his starting weight.

pythons_aspen_1998.jpg

The members of Monty Python's Flying Circus (including Graham's 'ashes') reunite at the Comedy Festival in Aspen, Saturday, 7 March 1998

I'm not one of the usual 'nay-sayers' and I feel that making a joke about someone being dead is distasteful. The difference between this and the Puma advert, are that Ford weren't making a joke about Steve McQueen being dead. Comparing it to the level of humour in Little Britain also isn't a valid defence, lowering yourself to the lowest 'comedy' level, doesn't mean it's ok.

My comments aren't intended to intimidate you or your organisation, but merely to express my displeasure at such a cheap 'gag.' You don't want to apologise for it, then fine, that's your choice, but personally I think it takes a bigger person to apologise for something said in poor judgement, than it does to defend it.