The guests announced so far

SunSpeed

Before I comment on the guests announced so far, I have suggested a lot of names in the C11 Guest Suggestions thread.

Looking at the names announced so far these are my observations on the number of guests for different films and TV shows:

Buffy/Angel - 3

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - 1

Star Trek: Enterprise - 1

Police Academy - 1

Terminator films - 1

James Bond films - 1

The X Files - 1

Torchwood - 1

Doctor Who (older series) - 1.

I'm hoping there will be less Buffy guests and more from The X Files, Millennium, 24 and Twin Peaks as there always seem to be a lot of Buffy, Angel, Star Trek and Star Wars guests at signing events.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I'm hoping there will be less Buffy guests and more from The X Files, Millennium, 24 and Twin Peaks as there always seem to be a lot of Buffy, Angel, Star Trek and Star Wars guests at signing events.

You're certainly right in saying there's always people from those particular fandoms, however there's a very good reason for that. They're arguably the biggest, most popular, and most loyal fandoms out there.

I know it'd be nice to get some guests from different shows (I loved X Files myself), but they're not going to be guaranteed successes like the regular fandoms.

Millennium only went 3 seasons and, other than Lance, I'm not sure who would do really well.

X Files' time has perhaps passed and, outside of David/Gillian, the others might be a bit risky.

24 guests are often covered at other events unfortunately, meaning exclusivity contracts etc. Showmasters have had a few though.

And Twin Peaks, while a cult success, doesn't really have that wider appeal to make it worthwhile to get many guests from it.

Of course, then there's availability issues, costs etc. Have they moved on to other work? Who knows. I'm not picking apart your choices really, it's just explaining my reasons why I've always not expected many/any guests from shows like that in recent years :coolthumb:

• Moderators
Millennium only went 3 seasons and, other than Lance, I'm not sure who would do really well.

Because season regular Terry O'Quinn would not do well would he ;)

:P you know what I mean, I was trying to think of ones that'd be advertised for Millennium mainly, and he probably wouldn't right now :P

Plus I heard he won't do any appearances until Lost has finished anyway, but I dunno :gorgeous:

Yeah tis true, last year we had Lance and Megan there is nobody else from the show that you could sell as a Millenium guest.

As for the X-Files thing, you are right David as aside from Gillian and David there is not really anyone else that would draw crowds. And sad fact is Gillian will not even sign X-Files stuff, well maybe it would be different if she sees the $$$$ but not sure!

Before I comment on the guests announced so far, I have suggested a lot of names in the C11 Guest Suggestions thread.

Looking at the names announced so far these are my observations on the number of guests for different films and TV shows:

Buffy/Angel - 3

I'm hoping there will be less Buffy guests

By which I can only assume you'd like at least one of these 3 guests to cancel?

TommyT - Oh no. Buffy guests have a right to be there. I don't mind there being Buffy guests. I'm just not interested in seeing Buffy guests. I only wanted to see Juliet Landau at C10 because she appeared in an episode of Millennium. I'll be interested in seeing James Marsters at C11 because he also appeared in an episode of Millennium.

DavidB - I agree that there aren't a lot of people who would see guests from lesser seen shows like Millennium, but there are fans out there.

Edited by SunSpeed

we have a long way to go, so am not worrying TOO much at the mo, but so far (for me) this is the lamest line up i've seen to date. It's very one dimentional. yet i totally know that to many, its going to be a cracking line up - I'd imagine theres a good chance that if you like one of the guests, you'll like a lot of the guests. Absolutly nowt for the older collector like myself. This line so far is for the teens to twenties market.

I know a lot of people like buffy & the such like & good luck to you, but do we need em at every event? Diversity to SM seems to be adding Angel guests as well as Buffy!!!

some OLD PEOPLE please SM!!! Batman guests (Julie Newmar was never re-booked as promised, Burt Ward, there are loads of vilains still around), Different Bond girls, 60's & 70's TV shows (Lee Majors was never re-booked as promised), how about some 70's & 80's superhero tv reunions?

awaiting the next buffy announcement as i type..... (!)

TF

• Moderators

There are only a few Buffy/Angel people to be fair in this particular lineup. There's also other popular sci-fi like Star Trek and Stargate, as well as some different guests like William Sanderson and Michael Winslow who aren't exactly just famous for purely recent stuff.

And I'm not sure about the 'promises' made about re-booking guests, but Showmasters have in the past got cancelled guests for other events - it's often just a case of timing! It's not always as easy as getting them for the next event or something unfortunately. Some guests can take years to get.

I think most events ARE diverse actually, and it's simply sensible from a business perspective to get guests who are guaranteed to be popular - and yes, this often means from Buffy and Angel.

X Files' time has perhaps passed and, outside of David/Gillian, the others might be a bit risky.

I would like to see Skinner aka Mitch Pileggi who was in 82 eps of the XF and has been in, so far according to IMDB, 16eps of Stargate Atlantis and because of this I believe he would be popular enough, providing of course, he would want to do a show and SM could get him :D

I do agree though that XF is a bit old now and that, apart from Trek, Wars and Dr Who, it tends to be newer shows that people want to meet the stars of B) also I don't think I'd want to meet anyone else aside of David and Gillian aside from perhaps William B Davis (37eps and also 2eps in Stargate) and Nicholas Lea (only 24 eps but 4 eps of CSI as well yey :D) Unfortunately I don't see Robert Patric (40 eps and also Stargate Atlantis and of course Terminator) doing an event like this any time soon :( it is also worth noting that another event had Tom Braidwood (39 eps) Bruce Harwood (36 eps) and Dean Haglund (35 eps), they were very cool :dance: but probably not popular enough to warrant bringing them back over to the UK any time soon :D

surfy sah xx

• Moderators

I would like to see Skinner aka Mitch Pileggi who was in 82 eps of the XF and has been in, so far according to IMDB, 16eps of Stargate Atlantis and because of this I believe he would be popular enough, providing of course, he would want to do a show and SM could get him :D

I do agree though that XF is a bit old now and that, apart from Trek, Wars and Dr Who, it tends to be newer shows that people want to meet the stars of B) also I don't think I'd want to meet anyone else aside of David and Gillian aside from perhaps William B Davis (37eps and also 2eps in Stargate) and Nicholas Lea (only 24 eps but 4 eps of CSI as well yey :D) Unfortunately I don't see Robert Patric (40 eps and also Stargate Atlantis and of course Terminator) doing an event like this any time soon :( it is also worth noting that another event had Tom Braidwood (39 eps) Bruce Harwood (36 eps) and Dean Haglund (35 eps), they were very cool :dance: but probably not popular enough to warrant bringing them back over to the UK any time soon :D

surfy sah xx

Yeah, I was thinking a few X-Files guests that cross over to other shows would probably be ok - Mitch definitely considering his Atlantis stuff.

Robert Patrick appeared in the same place that the Lone Gunmen guys did, so I'm sure he's open to doing them, and I'd love to meet him again - very nice and down to earth guy!