Fedcon UK

showmasters

that event... i went to sat and sunday.

1. Way too expensive- i had to borrow money from parents first time in a long time for a show

2. If i hadn't already known about that shows previous american shows, and been bored looking at past pics one day, i'd never have known the show was coming to england- absolutely no publicity

3. two guests pulled out quickly, and not enough new ones were announced

4. Smack bang middle of london... n not a nice bit...

5. hardly any stalls or anything other than talks at all.

I went cos I wanted to meet colm and patrick. Patrick spoke to me and answered a talk qn by me so i was :D. but colm... good talk but was so quick n emotionless with signing he signed my pic when 3 people infront of me were still sorting themselves out. gutted.

SM do a good show in my opinion, and i think it'd be good with their added qualities.

And trek is dying cos of gits who say it is and give up on it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with any of the replies to what I said.

But these facts still remain:

US TV is all about the numbers. Over the course of 4 seasons, Enterprise's viewing figures dropped like a stone. They were good to start off with, but then they plummeted. You can argue until your blue in the face about how UPN killed the show, and I'd agree with some of that arguement. It's true the station didn't give a rats ass about the show after the top brass changed. But in the cold light of day, the show was scrapped because the vast majority of Trek fans who tuned in at the start tuned back out pretty quickly.

The point about how TNG and all the other subsequent Trek shows had ropey beginnings is well used by fans to defend Enterprise, and it's true. But in the current climate of advertising regulating if a show lives or dies, you can't have ropey beginnings. If the viewer numbers fall consistently over a few weeks, the axe falls.

Sagart, I salute you for going to Trek conventions because you want to be there for things other than the guests. But you're in a declining minority. There are others like you. I applaud them too as long as they don't validate the rip off culture of many organisers by paying hundreds of pounds to go to events which offer them nothing. You can't run an event off the minority of fans who now turn up regardless of the cost and offering.

The London event had Colm Meaney, about as big and as rare a quality Trek guest as you can get. Next to no one turned up. Why? You can say it was chucking with rain in London all day and that kept people away. You can say the Pound/Dollar exchange rate kept the Yanks away. You can say the event was just too expensive. But are these really the reasons?

The real reason has to be Trek fan lethargy.

I agree with a lot of what you say Wubble. TV is run by the numbers more so than ever. If your not on a network like HBO or Sci-Fi you have to come out of the traps flying Look at what happened to Firefly. A brilliant show but because it didn't find a big audience in it's first few shows it was canned.

To be honest, I don't think the drop off in interest in Trek is down to it's quality but rather the fact that it had reached saturation point. Trek has been here for 40 years. When Voyager finished I felt that Trek needed a break. Enterprise was one show too many. The same can be seen at conventions. Youngsters over the last 10 years haven't been as into Trek as they've been into Buffy, Angel, Stargate, etc. The audiences at Trek cons over the last few years seem older and older. I was in Vegas last year and there were very few young people, by that I mean 20 or younger. It's not 'hip' to been a Trek fan (was it ever?)

JJ Abrams has a tough job on his hands. He has to make Trek 'HOT' again. I'm not sure if that can happen. Then again, I'm not really sure if I want it to happen. If he can produce a good movie, that is well marketed and finds a good audience to reap a decent box office take, then I'll be happy.

Showmasters have a good idea. Bring together fans of many different shows, let them mix and mingle. Let them share their enthusiasm. Maybe the days of big Trek cons are over but then I'm not sure if any one show could retain a big con audience over a number of years. In another few years, there won't be huge crowds for a LOTR con or a LOST con. Trek cons had huge numbers when it was pretty much all that Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans had to gather around. Those days are over.

Here's to the future.

I don't disagree with any of the replies to what I said.

But these facts still remain:

US TV is all about the numbers. Over the course of 4 seasons, Enterprise's viewing figures dropped like a stone. They were good to start off with, but then they plummeted. You can argue until your blue in the face about how UPN killed the show, and I'd agree with some of that arguement. It's true the station didn't give a rats ass about the show after the top brass changed. But in the cold light of day, the show was scrapped because the vast majority of Trek fans who tuned in at the start tuned back out pretty quickly.

The point about how TNG and all the other subsequent Trek shows had ropey beginnings is well used by fans to defend Enterprise, and it's true. But in the current climate of advertising regulating if a show lives or dies, you can't have ropey beginnings. If the viewer numbers fall consistently over a few weeks, the axe falls.

Sagart, I salute you for going to Trek conventions because you want to be there for things other than the guests. But you're in a declining minority. There are others like you. I applaud them too as long as they don't validate the rip off culture of many organisers by paying hundreds of pounds to go to events which offer them nothing. You can't run an event off the minority of fans who now turn up regardless of the cost and offering.

The London event had Colm Meaney, about as big and as rare a quality Trek guest as you can get. Next to no one turned up. Why? You can say it was chucking with rain in London all day and that kept people away. You can say the Pound/Dollar exchange rate kept the Yanks away. You can say the event was just too expensive. But are these really the reasons?

The real reason has to be Trek fan lethargy.

I agree with a lot of what you say Wubble. TV is run by the numbers more so than ever. If your not on a network like HBO or Sci-Fi you have to come out of the traps flying Look at what happened to Firefly. A brilliant show but because it didn't find a big audience in it's first few shows it was canned.

To be honest, I don't think the drop off in interest in Trek is down to it's quality but rather the fact that it had reached saturation point. Trek has been here for 40 years. When Voyager finished I felt that Trek needed a break. Enterprise was one show too many. The same can be seen at conventions. Youngsters over the last 10 years haven't been as into Trek as they've been into Buffy, Angel, Stargate, etc. The audiences at Trek cons over the last few years seem older and older. I was in Vegas last year and there were very few young people, by that I mean 20 or younger. It's not 'hip' to been a Trek fan (was it ever?)

JJ Abrams has a tough job on his hands. He has to make Trek 'HOT' again. I'm not sure if that can happen. Then again, I'm not really sure if I want it to happen. If he can produce a good movie, that is well marketed and finds a good audience to reap a decent box office take, then I'll be happy.

Showmasters have a good idea. Bring together fans of many different shows, let them mix and mingle. Let them share their enthusiasm. Maybe the days of big Trek cons are over but then I'm not sure if any one show could retain a big con audience over a number of years. In another few years, there won't be huge crowds for a LOTR con or a LOST con. Trek cons had huge numbers when it was pretty much all that Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans had to gather around. Those days are over.

Here's to the future.

Totally in agreement! :thumbup:

I'm disappointed - it was going to be just after my 30th birthday so I was looking forward to it as an extended celebration. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask for the guests I'd like to see at another show (or at other Showmasters events):

Wil Wheaton

Barbara March

Gwyneth Walsh

Whoopie Goldberg

Rosalind Chao

Diana Muldaur

Terry Farrell

Cirroc Lofton

Nana Visitor

Aaron Eisenberg

Max Grodenchik

James Darren

Tim Russ

Jeri Ryan

Jennifer Lien

Scott Bakula

Jolene Blalock

Ricardo Montalbahn

Kirstie Alley

Robin Curtis

Christopher Lloyd

Catherine Hicks

David Warner

Laurence Luckinbill

Kim Cattrall

Christopher Plummer

Malcolm McDowell

James Cromwell

Alfre Woodard

F Murray Abraham

Donna Murphy

Ron Perlman

I'd like to add another guest to my list: Garrett Wang. I was hoping to meet him at another event but as I don't have a job at the moment I couldn't afford to go :smile:

Edited by nosfer2

I'm disappointed - it was going to be just after my 30th birthday so I was looking forward to it as an extended celebration. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask for the guests I'd like to see at another show (or at other Showmasters events):

Wil Wheaton

Barbara March

Gwyneth Walsh

Whoopie Goldberg

Rosalind Chao

Diana Muldaur

Terry Farrell

Cirroc Lofton

Nana Visitor

Aaron Eisenberg

Max Grodenchik

James Darren

Tim Russ

Jeri Ryan

Jennifer Lien

Scott Bakula

Jolene Blalock

Ricardo Montalbahn

Kirstie Alley

Robin Curtis

Christopher Lloyd

Catherine Hicks

David Warner

Laurence Luckinbill

Kim Cattrall

Christopher Plummer

Malcolm McDowell

James Cromwell

Alfre Woodard

F Murray Abraham

Donna Murphy

Ron Perlman

I'd like to add another guest to my list: Garrett Wang. I was hoping to meet him at another event but as I don't have a job at the moment I couldn't afford to go :D

Could anyone WITH a job afford to go to that event? :poki:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Showmasters Admin

Well I'm dissappointed that the con was moved to 2008, I was really looking forward to going in November. I just hope, that they'll really do it in early 2008.

It would also be interesting where in the UK it'll be held.

As it was going to be held at the Raddison at Heathow in November I would suggest that's the likely venue for it in early 2008.

• Showmasters Admin

Just to re-iterate this is only a guess as it's where it was going to be. It hasn't been confirmed.

I have been to a Convention there and it was fine, they have some good sized halls (which you may not have seen). I do agree with the lack of cash points and food facilities though.

Edited by Too Tall

• 4 weeks later...

First I would like to say that I think it's wonderful to also have a another show in the UK!!!

Thanks very, very much for that!

Could I add a guest suggestion?

I would love!! to see Robert Beltran at the another show in the UK.

Cheers and thanks from Helmgirlie

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I don't mind who they get as guests for another show UK - I just want to see it happen. Please another show, stop messing about - there are alot of fans here in the UK who want to give you their money - so please get on with organsing it.

that said, my request is for Klingons, Klingons, and more Klingons.

Kehlan

PS, some of you seem to think that there is no interest in Trek events. That is not true. anyone interested in a Trek event that is not showmasters, email me on kehlan@ncc-71805.

I'll also be attending collectormania in May (on the Sunday) - you'll recognise me because I will be in full klingon gear, and I'm the only female in the group. come and say hello.

• 1 month later...

PS, some of you seem to think that there is no interest in Trek events. That is not true.

Totally agree on this one. I myself know off at least 5 other Trek groups that run in this country and I have friends who love Trek who I meet at conventions who don't belong to any Trek groups...

I am a member of the USS ESSEX which meets every Friday night 8-11 at the Hockley Community Centre (that’s near Southend) There are at least 12-20 people who attend each week with others attending when they can due to where they now live, and there work commitments...

Admittedly sometimes when I go to conventions (especially showmasters ones) I see guests (star trek ones) sitting there waiting for people to come up and ask for there autograph, but that’s not due to people not being interested in the show anymore, that’s more down to how many people have seen that particular guest before and whether he/she played a captain in Star Trek or the third man on the right hand side of the second guard in the fifth scene in some trek episode out there (meaning they wont be very popular),

You get my point. Take Rene for example. At Collectormania 11 it seemed there was a steady flow of people wanting to see him, why well many reasons, he's a genuinely nice guy, he's been in many different shows not just Star Trek, and the main reason. To me it seems he hasn't done a con in this country for many years.

You can't just assume that cause there are no new Star Trek shows on TV anymore, when at a con some Trek guests seem to have no fans going to them for an autograph and cause people (until this thread) didn't seem to post much in this forum that there aren’t still people out there interested in the series, that would be stupid.

Just check out my yahoo group in my signature if you need proof that there are other trek fans/groups out there.

:thumbup:

LLAP :D

I've only started going to cons since the Gmex con started. I've never been to a trek based convention before so i am looking forward to fed-con, plus there are still many people from the shows i would love to meet but im slowly getting there :thumbup:

I'm thinking that many people are thinking that Trek fans have lost the edge purely for the reason that there are no decent trek based events in the UK.................how can anyone say that the fandom is dead if all the groups out there meet in rooms across the country and their paths never crossing?? Those outside the Trek Kingdom don't realise just how many fans are out there. I confess that I am not a full blood Trekkie (I love some of the shows but not all of them) but I for one would like for the UK to experience the event that is another show. I never realised just how big the fandom is out there. I've recently had my eyes open wide and it's amazing! I'm even recognising some of the forum names from other boards and even their faces/costumes from events such as Collectormania!

If another show makes it here then you'll be in for a treat - providing it has the original another show traits of course.

I for one would like for the UK to experience the event that is another show.

If another show makes it here then you'll be in for a treat - providing it has the original another show traits of course.

Have to say after seeing how much showmasters (and anyone else involved with ring con, are charging for a gold pass to that particular LOTR's event,) if they charge those kinda pirces to go to another show UK (not saying they will) then I won't be going. It would probably be cheaper to go to another show abroad after paying for a flight as well as everything else cause I have seen what there prices were for another show and they wern't half bad...

Fingers crossed another show UK isn't stupid money, cause I know a few people that would like to go and who wont if another show is anything to go by...

:huh:

LLAP :D

I for one would like for the UK to experience the event that is another show.

Have to say after seeing how much showmasters (and anyone else involved with ring con, are charging for a gold pass to that particular LOTR's event,) if they charge those kinda pirces to go to another show UK (not saying they will) then I won't be going. It would probably be cheaper to go to another show abroad after paying for a flight as well as everything else cause I have seen what there prices were for another show and they wern't half bad...

Fingers crossed another show UK isn't stupid money, cause I know a few people that would like to go and who wont if another show is anything to go by...

:YAHOO:

LLAP :borg:

Go to the original another show in Germany next year. And another show for that matter. The prices they are charging for "another show UK" would get you the whole event in Germany, including accomodation!! Yup, I've devoloped an attitude. Go me.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard elsewhere on these forums it doesn't seem likely that there will even be a another show UK.

Shocking, yeah. I've been to another show Germany a few weeks ago and they're now scheduling a another show USA for early 2008! That actually pisses me off a little. What do I do with another con in the US? They already have plenty!:thumbup:

I think that once people stop acting like mugs (myself included on a few occasions) then they will realise that we aren’t going to act like the gullible people they think we are, (who seem to like being ripped off all the time) and they may (if they ever do it) quote us some decent prices for this another show UK

We have to rally together, its no use people saying they aren’t going to pay x amount for a con, and then 3 people decide they are going to pay that much. It will never happen but if everyone said no, I'm not paying that for a gold ticket, it might make them think twice, and lower the prices

I've seen all the big Star Trek guests I want to see, bar 1 and a lot of my friends have been doing the con rounds for over 10 years now, so there aren’t that many people they haven’t seen yet either, so they would have to pull more then just a rabbit or two out of a hat to impress me.

With so many people having seen most the guests already, and with other trek cons around the world, some not charging the earth to go to, like another show in Germany, I don't see how they could ever justify charging people what they are charging for another show UK

:D

LLAP :borg:

I think that once people stop acting like mugs (myself included on a few occasions) then they will realise that we aren’t going to act like the gullible people they think we are, (who seem to like being ripped off all the time) and they may (if they ever do it) quote us some decent prices for this another show UK

We have to rally together, its no use people saying they aren’t going to pay x amount for a con, and then 3 people decide they are going to pay that much. It will never happen but if everyone said no, I'm not paying that for a gold ticket, it might make them think twice, and lower the prices

I've seen all the big Star Trek guests I want to see, bar 1 and a lot of my friends have been doing the con rounds for over 10 years now, so there aren’t that many people they haven’t seen yet either, so they would have to pull more then just a rabbit or two out of a hat to impress me.

With so many people having seen most the guests already, and with other trek cons around the world, some not charging the earth to go to, like another show in Germany, I don't see how they could ever justify charging people what they are charging for another show UK

I think that Showmasters should be a little more professional. For example, Brent Spiner cannot participate in the convention in London this year and nobody cares to inform us when we could see him, they have said only that it will be in 2008. I think that if there will be a another show UK Brent should be welcome.

Should I go to Atlanta to see him again or should I attend news from Showmasters? This is the question!

I wish that they will organize a good convention.

• Moderators

I think that Showmasters should be a little more professional. For example, Brent Spiner cannot participate in the convention in London this year and nobody cares to inform us when we could see him, they have said only that it will be in 2008. I think that if there will be a another show UK Brent should be welcome.

Should I go to Atlanta to see him again or should I attend news from Showmasters? This is the question!

I wish that they will organize a good convention.

They are being professional by not announcing guests for next year when they're obviously working on guests for events this year.

What would the point be in rushing out an announcement saying BRENT WILL BE AT *INSERT 2008 EVENT* only for it to change because his schedule changes? It's far too risky, and then you'd be even more annoyed.

It's not that 'nobody cares', it's just that it's hardly priority right now, and please try to understand that instead of bringing up Brent at every single opportunity :hathor:

If you know of somewhere right now that Brent will be, I suggest going with that option if you're feeling impatient.

If you know of somewhere right now that Brent will be, I suggest going with that option if you're feeling impatient.

My amletic dilemma is only theatrical. in fact, I have really to sign a contract for my job on 1 September and however I cannot move from Italy in that period.

Great news! Yesterday I have read that brent will come to Italy in Mai 2008! :YAHOO:

Perhaps all my emails have convinced him to come here! It seems that all my trouble will vanish!

However, I wish you that brent will go also to England next year, because he is a very important actor!

:thumbup:

Edited by chiara72