Fedcon UK

showmasters

Slanted Fedora was a US run convention.

Actually, a while back, Jeri Ryan was due to appear over here, but she got an injury and had to cancel.

SLANTED FEDORA!!! Ahh, the pain, the pain!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, a while back, Jeri Ryan was due to appear over here, but she got an injury and had to cancel.

I only ever went to one Slanted fedora event.. the four captains one that turned into 3 captains.. despite that, it was still one of the best in terms of value..

I know since then, it all went downhill.. shame really

What about the event where Terry Farrell appeared?

That too was in the US - Valley Forge PA. I do not believe that the organisers are still running events

Jeri has cancelled on me twice - I took it as a personal insult LOL Supernova (I think that was the injury cancellation) and a Collectables event at Sandown Park in Surrey - Roxann Dawson was the replacement.

"That too was in the US - Valley Forge PA. I do not believe that the organisers are still running events"

No, we're more than happy to be at Showmaster events!

Bob & Linda

Bob & Linda? I may have the wrong people here but this is Fr. Ian from Ireland. Ring a bell?

If it's not the Bob & Linda I know, apologies!

Edited by sagart

Why, what happened?

I was at the "4 Captains, oops, now it's 3" con in New Jersey as well and it was very good. But then there was a large Vegas con announced that ened up being a lot smaller than planned and then another Vegas con that didn't come off at all. Many others, like myself, had paid a lot of money for it and we lost the lot. The company shut up shop and left a lot of people high and dry. The guy in charge had a bad relationship with a lot of his customers, not a 'people person' and he let a lot of people down- fans and stars alike.

"That too was in the US - Valley Forge PA. I do not believe that the organisers are still running events"

No, we're more than happy to be at Showmaster events!

Bob & Linda

Are you still running events in your own right? Your website seems to have disappeared...

"Bob & Linda? I may have the wrong people here but this is Fr. Ian from Ireland. Ring a bell?

If it's not the Bob & Linda I know, apologies!"

It's the Bob & Linda you know ;) Hi Fr. Ian :D

Hope we see you again soon!

And no, we're not doing anymore shows! I'd rather have people wish we were doing another one than curse us for doing a bad one!

I'd say the odds on this event ever going ahead are slim.

Even if it did, there's not enough public demand for it or any other Star Trek event to be viable.

Try telling that to the organisers of a non-Showmasters event which took place two weeks ago. It was a Trek only event and the final day was packed to the rafters. I think another show is entirely viable and I look forward to attending should it take place.

Sunday was busy because of Patrick Stewart. Saturday was a lot quieter and Friday was dead.

There were about 250 people there on the Saturday. It was awful. To hold a 3 day event around one guest on one day is nuts if you can't even 1/3 fill the two other days.

There are only a small handful of Trek stars who will make a Trek only event viable. You're looking at Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, Mulgrew, Farrell and possibly Bakula and Jeri Ryan ie they're either the most expensive guests or the ones who won't do events.

Trek fans won't bother to turn out to see anyone else now because they've seen it all before too many times.

Trek fans are loyal however I would think that events would be more popular now if all cast members were on stage together for 2 hours +. The TNG cast all together on stage would be quite an event and one that I would pay to see even if i have seen all members before.

Unfortunatly it looks like Paramount won! Trek is finally dead. The new movie is the nail in the coffin! :uhoh:

I'd say the odds on this event ever going ahead are slim.

Even if it did, there's not enough public demand for it or any other Star Trek event to be viable.

Try telling that to the organisers of a non-Showmasters event which took place two weeks ago. It was a Trek only event and the final day was packed to the rafters. I think another show is entirely viable and I look forward to attending should it take place.

Sunday was busy because of Patrick Stewart. Saturday was a lot quieter and Friday was dead.

There were about 250 people there on the Saturday. It was awful. To hold a 3 day event around one guest on one day is nuts if you can't even 1/3 fill the two other days.

There are only a small handful of Trek stars who will make a Trek only event viable. You're looking at Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, Mulgrew, Farrell and possibly Bakula and Jeri Ryan ie they're either the most expensive guests or the ones who won't do events.

Trek fans won't bother to turn out to see anyone else now because they've seen it all before too many times.

Trek fans are loyal however I would think that events would be more popular now if all cast members were on stage together for 2 hours +. The TNG cast all together on stage would be quite an event and one that I would pay to see even if i have seen all members before.

Unfortunatly it looks like Paramount won! Trek is finally dead. The new movie is the nail in the coffin!:lol:

I think you'll find that Voyager and Nemesis combined were actually the nail in the coffin. Trek was dead before Enterprise even debuted. Most of the core audience had gone by the end of Voyager's 7th season and with hindsight, Enterprise was a pointless show at least in the way it was done. If Manny Coto had been there writing from the start, the show might have lasted longer.

Star Trek's time has come and gone. All the stories have been told and there's nothing else for it to say. The same goes for Star Trek conventions which are now clearly dead in the water given attendences both here and in the US over the last few years.

The whole TNG cast on stage together is never going to happen purely because of the logistics and cost. Not to mention the difficulty in getting Stewart to appear. If it were to happen, I'd pay to see it. But I'm not sure many other people would.

Shatner and Nimoy on stage together and signing together might just get bums on seats for the one reason that they ARE Star Trek, but it won't happen because of Shatner's financial demands.

Enterprise was a pointless show at least in the way it was done. If Manny Coto had been there writing from the start, the show might have lasted longer.

Speak for yourself. Some of us go to conventions especially to seen the Enterprise actors. TNG, on the other hand, leaves me cold. Never liked it and certainly wouldn't go to see any TNG actors.

Not getting at anyone who does like TNG, just pointing out that just because one person doesn't like one of the Trek incarnations doesn't mean no one does!

Enterprise was a pointless show at least in the way it was done. If Manny Coto had been there writing from the start, the show might have lasted longer.

Speak for yourself. Some of us go to conventions especially to seen the Enterprise actors. TNG, on the other hand, leaves me cold. Never liked it and certainly wouldn't go to see any TNG actors.

Not getting at anyone who does like TNG, just pointing out that just because one person doesn't like one of the Trek incarnations doesn't mean no one does!

I never said I didn't like Enterprise. OK, I admit I wouldn't miss it at all if I never watched it again.

We all know why Enterprise failed, so there's no point going over old ground.

The truth is that TNG entered and had a dramatic influence on popular culture. It was a massively popular show in a way that hadn't been seen for many years. People will always want to see the TNG cast albeit in smaller numbers than in previous years.

Very few people watched Enterprise, and appearances by the cast will be of limited appeal in the long term. Sadly, the fact that you liked the show and hated TNG won't change that.

Edited by Wubble

I never said I didn't like Enterprise. OK, I admit I wouldn't miss it at all if I never watched it again.

The truth is that TNG entered and had a dramatic influence on popular culture. It was a massively popular show in a way that hadn't been seen for many years. People will always want to see the TNG cast albeit in smaller numbers than in previous years.

Very few people watched Enterprise, and appearances by the cast will be of limited appeal in the long term. Sadly, the fact that you liked the show and hated TNG won't change that.

It can be said that each of the spin off shows had poor early seasons. TNG didn't hit its stride until season 3, DS9 came to life in season 4 and Voyager added a lot to the Borg storyline in Trek in its later seasons, as TNG did for the Klingons and DS9 did for the Cardassians and Bajorans. True, Voyager wasn't as consistantly good as its predecessors but it had a lot of really good episodes that added much to Trek lore. Enterprise had a good third season and season 4 was a cracker but it didn't fail because of lack of viewers. It was cancelled because UPN failed it.

When UPN premiered with Voyager, it had a vision of the sort of network it could be. As the powers that be at UPN changed, Trek became lost (no, they didn't crash on an island). It wasn't supported by it's own network that had become more interested in cheap reality and extreme sport shows than costly dramas.

UPN's lack of vision is apparent to all now since the network no longer exists.

To compare Enterprise or indeed DS9 or Voyager to TNG is unfair. When TNG started it had the sci-fi audience almost to itself. The shows that followed had to contend with a lot of competition but each of the shows drew larger audiences than most of their competitors, who for the most part were showing on channels that demanded less and offered less in terms of budget (Stargate and BSG are made for a fraction of the what Trek cost to produce). It was also L.A. centric while others shows headed for Canada to reduce costs.

Trek's (temporary) demise was down to bad business, not the indifference of fans. True, in a time when we are offered the likes of BSG (whos ratings are dropping badly), Firefly (which didn't even make it to a full season) and now Heroes, Trek had to find something new and fresh to offer. I think Manny Coto could have offered that, if the accountants and producers at UPN had given it a chance. I still think JJ Abrams can offer that freshness. I, for one, am looking forward to the Trek rebirth in 2008.

Live long and Prosper.

It can be said that each of the spin off shows had poor early seasons. TNG didn't hit its stride until season 3, DS9 came to life in season 4 and Voyager added a lot to the Borg storyline in Trek in its later seasons, as TNG did for the Klingons and DS9 did for the Cardassians and Bajorans. True, Voyager wasn't as consistantly good as its predecessors but it had a lot of really good episodes that added much to Trek lore. Enterprise had a good third season and season 4 was a cracker but it didn't fail because of lack of viewers. It was cancelled because UPN failed it.

When UPN premiered with Voyager, it had a vision of the sort of network it could be. As the powers that be at UPN changed, Trek became lost (no, they didn't crash on an island). It wasn't supported by it's own network that had become more interested in cheap reality and extreme sport shows than costly dramas.

UPN's lack of vision is apparent to all now since the network no longer exists.

To compare Enterprise or indeed DS9 or Voyager to TNG is unfair. When TNG started it had the sci-fi audience almost to itself. The shows that followed had to contend with a lot of competition but each of the shows drew larger audiences than most of their competitors, who for the most part were showing on channels that demanded less and offered less in terms of budget (Stargate and BSG are made for a fraction of the what Trek cost to produce). It was also L.A. centric while others shows headed for Canada to reduce costs.

Trek's (temporary) demise was down to bad business, not the indifference of fans. True, in a time when we are offered the likes of BSG (whos ratings are dropping badly), Firefly (which didn't even make it to a full season) and now Heroes, Trek had to find something new and fresh to offer. I think Manny Coto could have offered that, if the accountants and producers at UPN had given it a chance. I still think JJ Abrams can offer that freshness. I, for one, am looking forward to the Trek rebirth in 2008.

Live long and Prosper.

WELL SAID!!!!

Thank you!:D

I can remember back to when we had no Trek other than reruns of the original series and during those 'wilderness' years, it was the fans who kept it going. Our enthusiasm, imagination and passion have always been instrumental in Trek's 40 year history. We can't abandon her now because there are shinier toys on the shelf. Trek may be the 'Woody' to the 'Buzz' of Lost, BSG and Heroes but I don't think any of them will be thought of in 40 years with the same affection as Trek is. Part of the fun of going to cons is the nostalgia kick it gives. So what if there isn't new material. I've got well over a hundred Trek autographs, I don't travel to England and the US just for new ones anymore since I've seen almost every Trek star who does the con circuit but I go for the craic, to meet fans, to have a good time and to celebrate what Trek has meant to me down the years. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Roll on another show UK.

I don't disagree with any of the replies to what I said.

But these facts still remain:

US TV is all about the numbers. Over the course of 4 seasons, Enterprise's viewing figures dropped like a stone. They were good to start off with, but then they plummeted. You can argue until your blue in the face about how UPN killed the show, and I'd agree with some of that arguement. It's true the station didn't give a rats ass about the show after the top brass changed. But in the cold light of day, the show was scrapped because the vast majority of Trek fans who tuned in at the start tuned back out pretty quickly.

The point about how TNG and all the other subsequent Trek shows had ropey beginnings is well used by fans to defend Enterprise, and it's true. But in the current climate of advertising regulating if a show lives or dies, you can't have ropey beginnings. If the viewer numbers fall consistently over a few weeks, the axe falls.

Sagart, I salute you for going to Trek conventions because you want to be there for things other than the guests. But you're in a declining minority. There are others like you. I applaud them too as long as they don't validate the rip off culture of many organisers by paying hundreds of pounds to go to events which offer them nothing. You can't run an event off the minority of fans who now turn up regardless of the cost and offering.

The London event had Colm Meaney, about as big and as rare a quality Trek guest as you can get. Next to no one turned up. Why? You can say it was chucking with rain in London all day and that kept people away. You can say the Pound/Dollar exchange rate kept the Yanks away. You can say the event was just too expensive. But are these really the reasons?

The real reason has to be Trek fan lethargy.

US TV is all about the numbers. Over the course of 4 seasons, Enterprise's viewing figures dropped like a stone. They were good to start off with, but then they plummeted. You can argue until your blue in the face about how UPN killed the show, and I'd agree with some of that arguement. It's true the station didn't give a rats ass about the show after the top brass changed. But in the cold light of day, the show was scrapped because the vast majority of Trek fans who tuned in at the start tuned back out pretty quickly.

The point about how TNG and all the other subsequent Trek shows had ropey beginnings is well used by fans to defend Enterprise, and it's true. But in the current climate of advertising regulating if a show lives or dies, you can't have ropey beginnings. If the viewer numbers fall consistently over a few weeks, the axe falls.

Sagart, I salute you for going to Trek conventions because you want to be there for things other than the guests. But you're in a declining minority. There are others like you. I applaud them too as long as they don't validate the rip off culture of many organisers by paying hundreds of pounds to go to events which offer them nothing. You can't run an event off the minority of fans who now turn up regardless of the cost and offering.

The London event had Colm Meaney, about as big and as rare a quality Trek guest as you can get. Next to no one turned up. Why? You can say it was chucking with rain in London all day and that kept people away. You can say the Pound/Dollar exchange rate kept the Yanks away. You can say the event was just too expensive. But are these really the reasons?

I'm sorry but I don't quite agree..

I went specifically for Colm.. but lethargy for low attendances.. no..

The real reason is cost.. far too expensive, particularly just the other side of Xmas..

Also, don't forget, that Trek fans have been stung over the past few years for cancelled Trek conventions in which some (including me) lost money.. Howver, with the track record of Showmasters behind another show, I'm pretty sure that some of the understandable loss in confidence in Tek Cons, may well be regained, but not a good start in changing the date!!!

Thousands attend the annual con in Vegas and the higher priced tickets have already gone for 2007.. so not quite dead there..

Same company, I know, but Vegas for those in the US is soo much better value than the token that is put on over here for not much less money, but MUCH less value in terms of guests and events.

Therefore as far as another show is concerned, for the same reasons, I hope consideration is given to not putting it on too soon after Xmas..

The likes of Collectormania, etc have spoilt us in the UK for access to Trek actors over the last few years.. and any actual TREK CONVENTION needs to offer something out of the ordinary.. Like a rare supporting actor or a decent headliner or two.. Perhaps the re-creation of the original bridge (as promised) with a chance for photo ops will also do it.

I say give a bit of recovery time after Xmas, get a decent headliner or two, offer something different and I have no doubt it will be a success.

I'm sorry but I don't quite agree..

I went specifically for Colm.. but lethargy for low attendances.. no..

The real reason is cost.. far too expensive, particularly just the other side of Xmas..

Yes, it was expensive. But aren't they all expensive now? Given what a lot of other events with far inferior guests charge for day admission, I thought the Saturday in London was as near to decent value as you'll get these days. And the Sunday with Patrick was very good value as long as you didn't want his signature.

I don't think they do much research in to the times they hold events in the UK, although it being 2 weeks after Christmas has never had a noticeable impact on attendence before.

If you look at previous London events held by them, they've only ever packed the place out with either a Star Trek Captain or Leonard Nimoy. Perhaps that says something about what many Trek fans now want before they're prepared to go an event.

another show needs to take note of this.