Tip on how not to embarrass yourself at Collectormania 10.

Solomace

1. Don't blubb in front of a guest.

My best friend was so excited and emotional at meeting Carrie Fisher that he started to blubb when Carrie signed his autograph. I would have been less embarrassed wearing a princess Leia slave outfit.

2. Say to a guest " so why can I not have a photo dude".

The guy 2 in front of me, having a go at Dirk Benedict for not posing for a photo. Dirk wasn't amused and you could see he was wishing B.A. was around to sort him out. I pitted the fool for doing this.

3. Don't chat up a female guest in front of the wife.

*Cough* Mira Furlan...she did look good though.

4. Didn't happen at collectormania, but at an event in Blackpool, my bud asked Phil Brown (Uncle Owen from Star Wars) for his autograph, and then thinking the lady sat next to him was Aunt Beru, asked her's for her autograph. She signed it Mrs Brown... :unsure: okay she didn't but she did tell my friend she was Phil's wife..... Shesh did we both blush....

5. Ask for a photo and then spend 10 mins getting the camera to work. "Buy a digital one"...

6. Don't wear Red Dwarf T-shirts.. I love em but come on would the odd the Serenity or the 4400 be asking too much.. JK btw...:firedevil:

Can you suggest any?????

Solo.

Edited by showmasters

i know this is gonna sound stupid but every guest ive met ive only said hi or hello or hiya then asked them how r u? but i cant go any further i dont know wot to ask them cos most of the guests have prob heard the same questions before over and again and asking them about weather isnt any good either, any suggestions to help me overcome this.

Sarah x

Most actors now have their own webpages so ask them about something off it like an interest of theirs. Dwight Schultz is a fan of Sci-fi and has his own radio show so had lots to say about it when asked. How about some of the less familiar work they might of done.

Bring something of your own life to the conversation so they feel like they are learning something new and not just talking about themselves. When I spoke to Jamie Bamber it turned out we were born in the same hospital and that then led onto work and we discussed getting new jobs. Sounds really weird I know but I'm sure he didn't talk to anyone else about that that weekend. <_<

Edited by feralmoggy

i know this is gonna sound stupid but every guest ive met ive only said hi or hello or hiya then asked them how r u? but i cant go any further i dont know wot to ask them cos most of the guests have prob heard the same questions before over and again and asking them about weather isnt any good either, any suggestions to help me overcome this.

Sarah x

Feralmoggy has pretty much summed it up in the post above, but it's always good to have a little bit of your own life to talk about as well as their work. I spoke to John Rhys-Davies about the fact that I write short fiction, asked John Terry about the ambiguous nature of his character in Lost (is he an abusive alchoholic or is he a good father who loves his son). Guests are always interested in where you've come from, if you've travelled a long way to meet them, etc. I had quite a nie discussion with Paul Norell about the fact that he used to train at the Crystal Palace Sports Centre when he was younger (the same one myself and some friends used a few years ago), and ended up speaking to Jeffrey Combs about the cinematic interpretation of H. P. Lovecraft. And for some reason, I ended up speaking to Ron Glass about chicken dinnners. <_<

It's always good to have a question for a guest, but if you can't think of anything "different" to ask, most are simply happy with a "hi, how are you?". Most of the guests I've met end up asking about the artwork/poster/print I bring along, as I'm always on the lookout for "exclusive" designs or foreign artwork. Elijah Wood loved my Japenese Sin City poster because apparently, it was the only country that gave his character its own poster design.

If a guest is busy, then a simple hello is fine, but I've always tried to speak to the less crowded guests and usually, they turn out be the highlight of the event for me. Jamison Newlander, Chance, Brooke and Billy were all great @ CM9, a real pleasure, talking about anything and everything.

Hope this helps! :(

Edited by Victor Van Dort

Im doing a painting of Robert Englund as Freddy Kruger so i think robert will be happy with the result havent finished it yet but i have plenty of time to doing it cos i cant find owt to do with robert or even elm street, thanks for your help guys means alot, does showmasters except anything to sign unless the guest approves of it?

• Moderators

You should be able to get anything signed you want <_< unless there are signs up about a particular thing or if a guest doesn't want to, but they always appreciate different things or more personal ones from what I've seen in the past! I'm sure he'd love it :(

I am normally very POLITE and friendly to guests , but at C5 I had a couple of very unfriendly meetings almost one after the other - do not be unfriendly to guests :(

I wanted Brad Dourif to finish off a photo that I had already had signed by Karl Urban , but it is a photo where Brad is out of focus , in perspective . I wanted to complete the photo , but he wanted to sign a nice , in-focus photo , which is really fair enough . What isn't fair enough was tha attitude though . He said something along the lines of " Or I could sign a photo where you can see me ? " , to which I replied something like " Or you can sign the photo that I have for you to sign ! " . Very nice .

Next I came to Robert Picardo , who was a little sulky because hardly anyone was getting his or John Billingsley's auto ( the Friday afternoon blues ? ) , and then became more sulky when I had the audacity to ask him to sign a Stargate poster that he isn't on rather than a Voyager one that he is on - how could I ?

At another Collectormania , I met Paul McGann and the conversation started out really friendly , about Doctor Who , and then I had to go and ask him if he was still upset at the Beeb for not giving him another chance ( I could hear myself asking , but couldn't for the life of me stop myself ) - he got quite emotional really , made even worse when I asked him what he thought of Chris Eccleston's Doctor .

Like everyone says , be prepared for something to ask , or you might just blurt something out that you regret - and then there is no going back . <_<

At another Collectormania , I met Paul McGann and the conversation started out really friendly , about Doctor Who , and then I had to go and ask him if he was still upset at the Beeb for not giving him another chance ( I could hear myself asking , but couldn't for the life of me stop myself ) - he got quite emotional really , made even worse when I asked him what he thought of Chris Eccleston's Doctor .

I always thought Paul wasn't bothered about coming back - what do you mean by emotional Daren ?

Last year when I met James Marsters (who I have loved for so many years) I knew I had to try and keep my cool, so I preplanned some things I was going to talk to him about (boy, did I pick well - I asked about his music which kept him chatting for ages) and made sure to breathe properly throughout. And smile, but not grin like a maniac.

Then when I left the table and got out of his line of sight, that's when the hand-flapping and the "OhmyGodOhmyGod!"s were allowed! :D

I think i'd be the same if I ever met him, although thankfully usually I'm really quiet so never quite put my foot in it!

I'm totally over-excited at the thought of seeing him again, but at the same time completely terrified of making a twit of myself as I usually do - to the point of maybe just avoiding him <_<

So what is worse:

A) Avoiding the person

:thumbup: Staring gormlessly from afar

C) Meeting them, them recognising you, asking if they've met you before but you denying it

D) Meeting them, them recognising you, asking if they've met you before, admitting it while trying to not look like a stalker.

E) Staring gormlessly, meeting them and not being able to speak so them try to shock you out of silence.

Erin Gray is lovely and good to chat to as well.

I usually am totally at ease talking to celebrities but when I met Carrie Fisher I got really star struck and couldn't think of anything to say that would be original or intelligent. In the end I just managed a rather pathetic "How are you?", but luckily Carrie is a classy lady and replied politely "Good, how are you?" so it wasn't a bad experience by any means. That's the one and only time I've acted a bit ditzy in front of a celeb...wish I'd been able to think of something a little more indepth to say to her.

I've a few tips:

Don't forget your name when they ask you - done that.

Don't forget they are only human "oh my god he's REAL!" - done that.

Don't point out the obvious "oh my god he's got eyes (to a certain hobbit lol) - done that.

Don't go with a mate cos you might embarrass them - done that.

Remember to breath - didn't do that and nearly passed out.

ROFL, of course I have now made myelf sound like a complete nit but it happens. Heyho.

But I CAN be sensible, honest *cough*

L x