Event ideas

Hans_Blaster

Thankfully, now we've finally got this big annual UK Trek event, what would you like to see happen there.

Something that happened at a US Trek con that I thought was cool - they had a screening of the Trouble With Tribbles from the TOS, complete with Shatner and Nimoy doing a live commentary on it!

Something like that makes for a unique experience at a con.

Any other ideas to make it very special?

Edited by Hans_Blaster

Something that happened at a US Trek con that I thought was cool - they had a screening of the Trouble With Tribbles from the TOS, complete with Shatner and Nimoy doing a live commentary on it!

That would be great to see happen live. It would be good if we had some more unusual things like that.

I definitely hope we get some onstage talks and Q and As. I always like to see a talk as well as the usual signings. Makes it feel like we've seen more of the guest.

Prop displays would be good. And I'd like to have a Trek writer, especially Dorothy (D.C.) Fontana. We'd learn a lot from a talk by her.

But more than anything I'd like to see Trek cast reunions. If we're going to have Fed Con every year in UK then trying to get as many of the cast from a particular Trek series would be great. We've not had that happen very often in UK or Europe so it would be good for fans here. A photo op with a Trek crew would be very popular.

Start with the original series crew that are remaining, then try for as many of TNG, DS9, Voyager, Ent at each show in the future. Have each show with a theme of paying tribute to a particular series. Still have guests from each series, but at each show have a main focus on one series. So that each one is different and memorable.

I like all those ideas. Anything to make it a bit different.

And this first one I really hope they do something to mark the 40th anniversary. I've met some of the original stars but still need to meet some, and the rest I'd like to meet again.

I don't recall William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy doing an appearance together over here, at least not since I've been going to conventions. They usually do one or two like that every year in america. If showmasters managed to do that I'd be thrilled.

And I've not met any of the behind the scenes Trek people or actors who were just in one ep.

Really want some talks and some screenings - eps or films or bloopers.

I like the commentary idea - you could do it with one episode from each series - and how about Connor Trinneer and Dominic Keating doing that for Shuttlepod One!?

And yes - I'd like to see them as guests!

Sal

I would like the opportunity to meet the remaining cast members I've not met yet:

Patrick Stewart

Wil Wheaton

Diana Muldaur

Whoopi Goldberg

Avery Brooks

Nana Visitor

Terry Farrell

Colm Meaney

Cirroc Lofton

Max Grodénchik

Aron Eisenberg

James Darren

Jeri Ryan

Garret Wang

Tim Russ

Jennifer Lien

Scott Bakula

Jolene Balock

Ricardo Montalban

Kirstie Alley

Robin Curtis

Christopher Lloyd

David Warner

Kim Cattrall

Christopher Plummer

Malcolm McDowell

James Cromwell

Alfre Woodard

F.Murry Abraham

Donna Murphy

Ron Perlman

Opportunities to get my items signed by any of these (especially the main cast members) would be great.

I hope that you are planning to hold the event in a hotel (or a venue with a hotel attached). I don't think the event would work if it was held in a venue like the Milton Keynes shopping Centre.

Perhaps you could have a dinner with the guests or maybe even a dessert buffet, cocktail party, something along those lines?

What about a musical number from some of the more musically inclined Trek actors? i.e. James Darren, Robert Picardo.

Photos with the stars like you have in Germany would also be good too.

I hope that you are planning to hold the event in a hotel (or a venue with a hotel attached). I don't think the event would work if it was held in a venue like the Milton Keynes shopping Centre.

I agree, it needs to be in a hotel, not somewhere soulless like the ***** or Excel at Docklands. I'd also say not London, which is overpriced and expensive to get to, but I'm not sure if there's a suitable hotel complex outside the capital. You might consider the Telford area which seems to have places custom-build for conferences. Not as nice as the Esperanto or Maritim though. I doubt you'll find anywhere to equal them and their quality of service/price in the UK, alas.

I can't think why the forum doesn't like it, but the ***** should be the National Exhibition Centre outside Birmingham

Edited by Hreod

mabby they can show us bloopers .. and the ppl in it can explain what happened.. stupid idy I knew but for the 1st time I have no ides... sad really :D

I just can't se shatner attending at all specially after his attitude last time.. :P

oww and defiantly got to be a hotel with food and ITMs

A another show MUST have talks. It's not a signing event, it's a convention, so most of the day IS talks.

A little explanation about signing at another show:

The signing is divided into two. The actors who are included in the entry fee and the ones where you have to get coupons for only sign in sessions for about 4 hours on Sat and Sun.

The rest of the actors have a table in a signing area, where they can sit and sign stuff (duh). They CAN be there whenever they are not on stage, but they don't HAVE to be. Some guests actually are pretty elusive!

Even so, some of the session actors are also in the signing area throughout the day. This gives you the opportunity to get more then one autograph. But, few actors do this. I've only seen 4 actors from the session go sign in the area as well, and I've been to 5 Fedcons now.

What I would like to see is a another show-party with a good DJ, who will actually play the things you ask for. 2005, the guy had never heard of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light", and 2006, we waited for 3 hours to hear "Bohemian Rhapsody" and then gave up because of all the bad dance-type-music.

I like songs that are considered "wrong". Like YMCA, and Star Trekking and a lot I can't think of now. In Holland, we have con-parties where (nearly) everyone knows the dances that go to the songs. It's like folk-dancing in SF costumes, and a LOT of fun.

• 2 months later...

Please do not follow what all the other conventions / signings do and get the same old people who we have seen time and again: I would like to see some actual actors who haven't done shows / signings / talks here in the UK yet - Such as James Darren, Whoopi Goldberg, James Cromwell, etc who would be totally new and fresh to the circuit here. Regards,Radburn.

Thankfully, now we've finally got this big annual UK Trek event, what would you like to see happen there.

Oh yes, that would be great. I'd like to see Dominic Keating and Connor Trinneer doing a live commentary of 'Shuttlepod One'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DIANA MULDAUR!!!!!!!! :YAHOO::YAHOO:

Does anyone know if she appeared at the Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas last week?

Indeed she did and she was lovely. She has a great personality that comes across really well on stage. On top of that, she was very friendly during the signings. I would like to see her again so if another show can do it, great!

Did anyone go to the Star Trek Experience that was in London a couple of years ago.

I went twice I enjoyed it so much. They had computers with Star trek questions

and depending on how many questions you got right, you were assigned a status -

I think Ensign was the lowest and you became Captain if you got them all right.

I am the wrong side of middle age but was jumping up and down like a kid when I

made Captain by getting all my questions correct.

Also at the Experience was a couple of those machines that rock around on a platform

and you are shut inside and the screen makes you think you're inside a spaceship and

such. The first time I went, the machine really threw people around and I was holding

on with all my force. It was really shook up but so exilherating I just had to go again!

The next time I visited they had tamed it down - shame. But that would be popular

and could be for an extra charge if need be.

There was also the displays of costumes, scenery bits and bobs etc. and the

piece de resistance, being taken through a mock up of the Enterprise and into a turbo

lift. At that point, you heard one of the crew telling the captain that something had gone

wrong in the turbo lifts and smoke started coming in. You are rescued and end up on

the flight deck. Great fun.

Plus there were little things like a machine that could make all the different Star Trek

noises and the cafe was decked out like part of the ship with port holes and stars

behind them and a gift shop stocked with all sorts of, including event based

Star Trek items.

Now I do appreciate that Fed Con cannot and should not duplicate that, however,

I just thought I'd mention the things I really liked about it, in case they can be

adapted in some way, for example having quizes on Star Trek knowledge to win prizes.

Being able to purchase specially created another show Star Trek mugs (maybe even

with sound effect bases). Make the tickets worth keeping as a souvenir and have

a souvenir brochure for sale too.

May I also say that I have never seen any of the movies about Trekkies themselves

so they would be of interest for me and as someone else said, it would be nice to see

some of the actors that have not been to SM events before, especially nice would be

to see some of the better known one off characters - maybe even Joan Collins!

Lots of behind the scenes talks from script writers, make-up artists, costume and scenery

creators and the like would be extremely interesting.

Of the people that have been to SM events before, I would like to see

Denise Crosby, Roxanne Dawson, George Takei and Rene Auberjonois. (three of

whom I missed by double booking myself the time they came to Collectormania)

Also the man who played Morn who came to your very first Collectormania as

I only started attending at your third Collectormania.

I would also like to have Diana Muldaur in my collection of signed photos in addition

to any of the main crew members from any of the series, that have yet to attend

an SM event.

For entertainment value, J.G Hertler who plays Martok is a very amusing gentleman

who has always been very good about entering into the spirit of things and would

be an excellent guest.

PS Dinner with the stars option as well if possible.

• 4 weeks later...

i want see to brucee williss =p

andd josh hollowayyy andd vigo mortensen,michelle rodriguezzz,tommm wellingggg, drew fullerrr, ORLANDO BLOMMM, ROBERT PATTINSONN , ANDDD DANNIEL RADCLIFFE^____^

:chair:

What the hell are you on about ?? :chair:

This is the 2nd nonsical post you have made tonight !. :chair:

This is a trek convention only, therefore only guests from any of the star trek series will be invited

Should be like another show Germany. I liked it there - a lot.

The focus should be on Star Trek guests: interesting panels, Q & A sessions... the lot.

But the guests should probably not be the same guests as in Germany.

We have Star Trek TNG - anniversary next year - so TNG guests would be brilliant.

If we can get anyone from Star Wars - next year would be perfect - 30 yrs of Star Wars!

And they never come to Germany, because it's a UK show and most Germans don't know it... but what about some Doctor Who guests?